Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwarves... Not Politically Correct
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Mystweaver
What? sarcastic.gif Surely not... apparently papers in the UK have said that it is not politically correct to refer to errr... Dwarves... as well... Dwarves...

What are the alternatives?
Snow White and the 7 Helpers

or

Snow White and the 7 Forest Dwellers!

D'ya think this will have an adverse affect on the way we view our little helpers in Shadowrun? lick.gif
What about Snow White and the 7 Vertically Challenged Chappies? or Snow White and the 7 little legged lads?

Blooming Politically correctness! eek.gif
Jrayjoker
Hmmm, intersting points. However, the distinction between Dwarves and Little People can be explained by the awakening, and Dwarves being an entirely different subclass of Homo Sapiens. So calling a SR dwarf a dwarf is not an issue.

Frankly, I don't care if some group wants to call themselves Strawberry-Rhubarb-Pie People, that is their business, and I have no problem doing it.
kryton
Actually I think it depends on the person and culture.

I remember on Howard Stern that if you called Hank the Angry Dwarf, a midget he would send out explatives and say something like, "I'm a dwarf you ......"

I think it depends. Besides it' isn't derragatory. If there's some group out there they'll get all in a tizzy about being called something or other?

What else are you going to call them, Vertically challenged? Gravitationally sequestered, longitudinally delinquent, shortie, little guy....Wee man?????

I think as long as you talk and relate to them as a person it doesn't matter, talk to them like they're a child and just remember, they're in perfect aim of your genetaila either by fist or head but.
Mystweaver
Hee hee hee biggrin.gif I agree with you. Still, it proves that PC is just going nuts!
Drac
"Little people" sounds like the most demeaning thing ever to me. Like calling an elf dandelian eater or Spock-ears.
Dwarves is Dwarves dammit!

p.s. anyone remember the rock band Killer Dwarves? smile.gif
Ancient History
Now, now. THe Brits are half correct, you shouldn't call them dwarves.

You should call them dwarrow.
Westiex
How about you call them a Halfer?
Weredigo
ohplease.gif

At this point in time I'm really wondering exactly how much in total percentage of the world really cares about what is and isn't "politically correct" I'm thinking if I was a foot shorter, I'd actually prefer to be called a Dwarf. Sounds more cultured, honorable, and humane than "Midget" , "Vertically Challenged" , "Gravitationally Embraced" , "Little" , or "Short" which I get called anyways.

If I encounter anyone who takes offense to being called a Dwarf, I'd prefer them to come right out and inform me of the fact and suggest thier personal preferred alternative instead of hiding behind what some newspaper has to say.
Ancient History
I'd prefer to take out my battle axe and go at those damn biggers' knees.
Mr.Platinum
God the media and some groups of people are retards.
Weredigo
Would'nt that be a bit insulting to the wonderfull people who happen to have Down Syndrom and other mental ilnesses all over the world???

biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
I don't think the media would understand the insult, but as for the strawberry-rhubarb people, they might get a bit uppity.
Butterblume
No one mentioned "vertically challenged" yet ...
Oracle
QUOTE (Mystweaver)
What about Snow White and the 7 Vertically Challenged Chappies?

Of course. Just in the first post. spin.gif
Butterblume
As vertically challenged myself, i can't read the top post biggrin.gif.
Moon-Hawk
Here's my issue: If a group more-or-less collectively decided that they want to be called something other than what they currently are, and if that group expects me to use this new name, it had better not have more than one more syllable than the old name, 'cause if we're talking about going from a one syllable name to a seven syllable name, I'm not switching.
khazad
Ya know, I read a book by Joel Rosenberg (Guardians of the Flame I believe) in which one of the characters tries to tease a dwarf by making a 'short' joke. Well, the dwarf there had the right idea. He laughed at the joke and went along with it, but not for the reason you might think. According to the dwarf's way of thinking HIS was the correct height, and the human looked like a bar of weak metal that had been stretched too far and had no real strength or stability.

So I'm just gonna take a 'short' break and amuse myself with the thought that you humans are the ones that are Vertically Challenged - with such a high center of gravity it's a wonder you don't fall down more than you already do. Oh btw - how's the weather up there?

-Dwarf (proudly going by "dwarf" for 15+ years now!)
Mystweaver
Most excellent thank you. The clouds are a little bit closer, but its nothing to worry about. biggrin.gif

I agree; stick to a one syllable name!

-Human (proudly going by "Lanky" for 12+ years now nyahnyah.gif )
Aku
it's crappy for us non-dwarf but too short humans too.

Like me, i'm normally proprtioned, and at 5'3 (on a good day smile.gif ) i dont get no respect from the tallies
Dale
The shorter you are the less area you've got to be a target. Have fun dodging those bullets wink.gif
Maltaltin
Actually Snow caucasion and the seven vertically challenged males is the correct way to say it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012