Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacker Party Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BlackHat
QUOTE (stevebugge)
What does the Hacker do when the shells start flying?

"Total Defense"

Of course no hacker would allow a foreign host to log into his skinlink. No hacker would allow him to log into his commlink either, that's why the enemy would try to HACK his way in. wink.gif I assume you could (and would have to) go through the whole hacking routing during the handshake... which, with AR speed, would need ot be a very long handshake... basically, it no worky for handshakes - maybe on an unconscious guy though.
stevebugge
It sounds like the ordinary commlink can be used much the same way the BattleTac systems from Fields of Fire were used (assuming everyone has a commlink and is subscribed to a given network) I'm not sure if there are any specific rules for bonuses doing this yet in SR4, anyone up on this yet?
hobgoblin
blackice doesn't come into play because the information from the matrix isn't bieng piped into the brain, it's bieng piped into things like the visual and audio displays and cyber linked to the AR system (commlink). That's why loading any ice into a piece of cyber won't do anything in combat, and likely never.

well i was specificaly talking about using a simlink (or whatever the addon that allows you to go vr is called) to project the AR enviroment. this can be done from what i recall, and dont require extra displays and stuff like going non-simlinked AR does.

but i guess that a black hammer attack needs a specific level of simsense signal strength to do any damage (given that you have to be in hot sim mode, allso known as BTL, for it to be lethal). and the AR mode basicly is so low a signal that it can overlay your normal senses without creating trouble.

so if you dont have to worry about black hammer and similar, why on earth does the goggles, contacts and so on exist? some kind of jack itch flaw?
hyzmarca
Once inside a comlink, a hacker should be able to force it into hot ASSIST most to make the target vulnerable to black IC.
Liper
It doesn't matter what you make a commlink do if the user hasn't done the mental flick to be connected to it, matter of fact regardless of what you do to the commlink the DNI would allow the user to reboot it at any given point.

And if we're talking about non-dni commlinks, well there's jack and shit you can do to the user other then barrage any sensory output he has linked to it (glasses/cyber eyes)

Most people (ie 99.8% of the population) in SR won't have a simrig, and a simlink won't allow the input to go beyond the tolerable thresholds, now a datajack you can patch ice through no problem, but a simlink as the one guy excused himself through won't do jack or shit to anyone.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Liper)
It doesn't matter what you make a commlink do if the user hasn't done the mental flick to be connected to it, matter of fact regardless of what you do to the commlink the DNI would allow the user to reboot it at any given point.

And if we're talking about non-dni commlinks, well there's jack and shit you can do to the user other then barrage any sensory output he has linked to it (glasses/cyber eyes)

Most people (ie 99.8% of the population) in SR won't have a simrig, and a simlink won't allow the input to go beyond the tolerable thresholds, now a datajack you can patch ice through no problem, but a simlink as the one guy excused himself through won't do jack or shit to anyone.

You can'r flick a switch with your mind which means that a pure DNI comlink can never be off, only not transmitting. Also, shutdown and startup would have to be handeled purely in software. If it is handeled in sofware then a hacker can compromise it with the right tools.

A hacker with some whiz programs should be able to force someone with a simlink into full VR or simple turn on the RAS override and leave the character aware but paralyzed with no way to regain control but to fight the hacker and/or his agents in matrix combat.
hobgoblin
you could put a chip thats looking for a mental off command outside of the main circuitry of the comlink. basicly its only hooked to the powersupply of the comlink and to the brain, nothing else.

kinda like that power switch on the back of a atx power supply...

same kind of cut-off could in theory be put on the RAS, the simlink, and other stuff...
Liper
You can'r flick a switch with your mind which means that a pure DNI comlink can never be off,

What kind of bulldrek is this?

gee Cybe spurs, it's on (out) or off (retracted) sounds like a switch to me.

No DNI means you have full mental control over a item.

only not transmitting.

which would STILL mean dumpshock for a decker.

If it is handeled in sofware then a hacker can compromise it with the right tools.

There is a software component, but seriously, it still has to be hooked up to any other piece of ware for it to do any good, which as was mentioned early is just laughable unless done by a retard that such case would arise.

A hacker with some whiz programs should be able to force someone with a simlink into full VR or simple turn on the RAS override and leave the character aware but paralyzed with no way to regain control but to fight the hacker and/or his agents in matrix combat.

You can't force someone into the matrix without controlling thier DATAJACK at the least, a simlink does nothing but force SIM feed into thier body, which simlinks don't have a hot/cold feature it's always cold.

DATAJACKS have a ability to be MODDED to a hot/cold interface.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Liper)
You can'r flick a switch with your mind which means that a pure DNI comlink can never be off,

But in that situation you aren't fliping a switch with your mind. You are telling a piece of software to flip of switch. If the software is compromised your spurs won't be sdoing much extending or retracting.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Liper @ Dec 1 2005, 10:28 PM)

But in that situation you aren't fliping a switch with your mind. You are telling a piece of software to flip of switch. If the software is compromised your spurs won't be sdoing much extending or retracting.

but if you isolate the software so that it only listens to neural traffic and nothing else then good luck compromising the software...

alltho, you could use psycothropic IC style tricks to plant a sugestion that makes you avoid flipping said switch (kinda like the claws of wolverine in x-men 2)...

but doing all that in the heat of battle, even when working in VR mode, good luck...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Liper)
only not transmitting.
which would STILL mean dumpshock for a decker.

Oddly enough, under SR4 rules dumpshock is never mentioned as a side effect of jacking out. It only happens when you are "dumped" from the Matrix, that is, when your Matrix persona fills his condition monitor. And it kinda makes sense that you don't; you figure by that time someone would have developed a piece of hardware for your jack or set of trodes that would let you down gently off of hot or cold sim after being dumped. This would be especially true if the dumping is from a terminated wireless connection, as I imagine even in the '70s that would be fairly common.

Ironically, the VR rules no longer allow you to move at all while jacked in (rather than before when you could but had a +6TN to all tests), so jacking out in VR is impossible for a hacker by his lonesome.

You can't force someone into the matrix without controlling thier DATAJACK at the least, a simlink does nothing but force SIM feed into thier body, which simlinks don't have a hot/cold feature it's always cold.

DATAJACKS have a ability to be MODDED to a hot/cold interface.

Rules: Er, actually it's the sim module (there's no such thing as a simlink) that's modded for Hot and Cold. (p. 229) The datajack just pipes whatever the feed is into your brain. If it's simsense then you can feel it; if it's simsense with the RAS override switch turned on then you feel it at the exclusion of your own meatbody.

Speculation: Once you hack the sam's commlink, I suppose you can spoof a command that turns on VR, essentially trapping the sam. He can log off his commlink as a Simple Action, though, but that will tie him up a little and force him to do without the benefits of his commlink.
Makar
Some good info here, but things have swayed away from what I was really wanting, which was phish for tricks that a hacker could actually pull in combat to help his team gain an edge.

Something I was able to pull off recently was bugging the communications of my team's opponents. It helped warn us about an impending drive-by.
Liper
well a) you can't spoof a command to log onto VR since that requires a active mental command, you could with the datajack but it'd conflict with actual nural data, which would cause a conflict message.

b) it could easily be assumed unless otherwise stated that only DNI signals are accepted by the cyber.

The only thing that's logically linked to comlink/ar is the visual/audio areas or a simlink.

The RAS override(which no one has linked to AR) and the simlink are the only two things to be able to manipulate with matrix actions.

I'm not going to go into if you can or can't hack a smartlink/cyberarm/toxin extractor (ack imagine that hacked, everything is a toxin and gets filtered, grats you're dead in a bit) cause that could happen if linked.

The only question of what you can hack is if it's linked and why.

The book clearly stats cyber loaded with ice, so it is a issue with some, even if thier IQ is in the teens.
Liper
as a last note, which is the most *tre chic* way of using AR is through emotive pulses, you can send a emotion of FEAR through the AR link, since emotions are a popular thing to use THROUGH AR.

=)
stevebugge
Expanding on Liper's idea, could you upload a sim-ship or a BTL to a simlinked Comm? I'm thinking a "Benedict Arnold" Personafix could be quite the invention (not necessarily good for combat but think of the possibilities)
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (stevebugge)
It sounds like the ordinary commlink can be used much the same way the BattleTac systems from Fields of Fire were used (assuming everyone has a commlink and is subscribed to a given network) I'm not sure if there are any specific rules for bonuses doing this yet in SR4, anyone up on this yet?

See the sidebar titled "AR Modifiers" on p.208.

Unfortunately, it's not so much a rules set, just more of a helpful suggestion to GMs that "Oh, you might want to let you players get bonuses."

Hopefully this will be expanded and fleshed out in one of the splatbooks, because that's one of the things that excited me most about the pre-release buzz on SR4, the fact that AR would at least partially allow for the kind of team integration that you previously needed BattleTac gear for. To find that the actual RAW for it conists of little more than a few suggestions and leaves a lot of the detailing work to the individual GM left me vaguely unsatisfied.
Liper
Battletac was highly abuseable (as was the small unit tactics skill), now it's open and left to as much abuse as the gm is willing to.

The AR is a nice touch to team communication that allows table talk to not be innane like say in DnD where tabeltalk = telepathy.
PlatonicPimp
When hacking in Combat, AGENTS are where it's at. You only need to load them up and give them orders.

Also, AR initiative is your physical initiative. Just give your combat hacker wired 2 and you are good to go.

As for hacking a skinlink: Sure, you can't maintain a handshake for as long as it would take to gain access, but you COULD plant an skinlinked Transmitter which would route your wireless signals into their skinlinked PAN. All it takes is a signal 1 RFID tag with the skinlinked modifier.

Heck, you could even modify a stik'n'shock round, replacing the capacitor with the skilinkeed RFID tag, and shoot someone with a hacker bullet.

Hmm, if that hacker bullet had a processor with an Agent on it, it could even do the hackign for you.

Yay! Hackerguns!

BlackHat
Don't RFID tags (non sensor ones) send fixed data unless an Edit program is used to update them? I suppose you could use an agent to use the Edit program to route data through an RFID tag, but I'm not sure the RFID tag can run anything on it. Otherwise, why would you ever use a commlink, when you could just have an RFID tag?

As for loading them in bullets, I wish the rules supported this somehow. At the very least, the ability to fire a bulelt with a tag in it would give you a sort of a "tracker" bullet. Shoot the guy's car. You won't bypass the armor, but if the bullet sticks, you can follow him home. I think SR3 acutally had something exactly like this, but the SR4 rules don't give you a way to do it yet.
Azralon
The blowy thing is that RFID tags have a Signal of 1, which is only 40m. So you'd have to set them to talk to the Matrix rather than a P2P kinda deal.

That is to say, it's convenient that they can be globally tracked, but unfortunate that anyone in the globe can see them. smile.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Azralon)
The blowy thing is that RFID tags have a Signal of 1, which is only 40m. So you'd have to set them to talk to the Matrix rather than a P2P kinda deal.

That is to say, it's convenient that they can be globally tracked, but unfortunate that anyone in the globe can see them. smile.gif

Stealth Tags only respond to someone with the proper codes, right? And/or they can be encrypted... but, 40 meters is close enoguh for the sorts of tricks that this thread is about - I just question whether an RFID can host programs of its own, such as an agent with an edit program, to properly route skinlinked data to the hacker.

Otherwise, it would only transmit whatever data it was already programmed ot transmit (GPS, fixed strings, ID numbers, etc - they can't identify and transmit the simsense-feed of any nearby devices... at least, not according to the examples of their use that I have come across in the book.
Azralon
Ah yes, stealth tags. I like it.
BlackHat
Of course, in theory, your commlink only responds to someone with the right passcodes, as well, and people can hack that... so I wouldn't be surprised if a Hacker couldn't locate, decrypt, and spoof your stealth tag too... but it'd take effort... and at least you're not broadcasting it to the entire matrix.
Azralon
QUOTE (p319)
Stealth tags are encoded to remain silent and only respond to transmissions with the proper passcodes. They cannot be located with a commlink or bug scanner (unless the codes are known). They typically use special frequencies and other tricks to avoid detection.

Sounds like they'd need to bust into your commlink to snag the codes first (or otherwise socially engineer them out of you).
BlackHat
I suppose. sarcastic.gif Wish I could get that sort of technology on the REST of my devices. wink.gif Seems like they basically just say "Yeah, hackers can hack jsut about anything, including the kitchen sink... oh yeah, except for stealth tags... which are how GMs explain the bad guys hunting down the party!"

But, hey, as a player, you can use them too, and by RAW they are the only 100% secure method of communication. smile.gif

You could have you and your buddy both with stealth tags... and monitor each other's tag data... and then when you want to communicate just use the edit program to modify your data... I imagine it like a chat-room smile.gif But no one can ever find it unless they know the magic codes - even if you're using them during a Shadowrun... wait... this isn't such a bad idea... lick.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (BlackHat)
But no one can ever find it unless they know the magic codes - even if you're using them during a Shadowrun... wait... this isn't such a bad idea... lick.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot! The commlink's you're using to monitor the data are wide-open for hacking... so they could just evesdrop that way. Bah.
blakkie
Stealth Tags can border on a GM fiat tool to allow tracing some item. Perception checks can be extremely difficult to detect them in the meat, especially if they were built right into solid parts of the item.

Although they won't leave a trail across matrix nodes like a normal tag would (because they don't broadcast their presence), it is nearly undetectable when leaving a trail to someone that knows it is there, knows the code, and is following it. The tracker just needs to be able to continue jumping node to node to stay within range. How tough this would be to do kinda depends on how the Matrix is ruled. The "easy" way is if you are allowed to manually control packet routing yourself to utilize a node's transmission ability without logging into the node itself. If this wasn't allowed you'd need to log into node to node, which would be extremely difficult to do without valid login on all or most of the nodes since you'd be constantly hacking on the fly.

It might appear in the logs on the nodes where it was checked from, so the tracker would want to leave have an Agent or a partner busy cleaning up afterward to keep the person being trailed via the secure tag from finding this out by breaking into the node's logs.

In theory a Scanner might eventually manage detect the raw radio signals (even off normal frequency ones), but if you don't have it on an active list and the requests made to the stealth tag are very sporatic, success it would be very difficult and a long time coming.

A specialization of a Locate Object spell could possibliy find them too, but it needs a large number of hits to actually find the secure tags (distinguishing it from a disabled normal tag would be tough too, depending on GM ruling, so you might have to find and remove ALL tags if you don't get enough hits) to be able to remove it.

The only thing that seems a sure-fire way to be able to get around Secure Ids quickly and safely is popping the item that is possibly tagged a jammer. Preferably a head jammer that doesn't create a huge red flag as you walk around stomping on all transmissions. smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
As for the bullets: Yes, I know an RFID tag can't run an agent. And I know that there are none of these bullets in the rules.

I am making these up based on a few assumptions I've made regarding the technology level.

Assumption 1: RFID tags are little dots smaller than a penny and as thin as a sticker. If a signal 1 device plus data storage can be that small, a larger device can include more.

Assumption 2: If a Stick and shock round has room in it for a capacitor capable of doing significant damage to an opponent in the size of a normal bullet, Plus the sticky stuff, then it has a lot of room for our electronic bug.

Assumption 3: Miniturization of electronic devices make the size of a commlink based largely on user interface and not on hardware.

Assumption 4: Even with the above stated, only a very rudimentary, specialized processor could do what we want in the space we have it, and even then only at a low rating.

None of these are facts, or rules supported. They just seem reasonable to me.

Hacker bullets are not commercially made or sold. They must be custom built using the armorer skill. They come in two grades. The simple version is just a secure RFID tag in a stick round, with skinlink. The base cost is the stick n shock round, the secure RFID tag and the skinlink. Then the armorer chack must be made ( I have no book, so I won't even guess at threshold.) All and all, a pretty expensive bullet.

The hacker in a bullet model would require the sticky round, the hardware for a Response 1 or 2 commlink, the skinlink, an appropriate operating system and programs/agents. It would require a hardware test with a high threshold to construct the computer, and an armorer check to add it to the bullet. It would also require a software check to configure the system to operate properly. A rediculously expensive bullet that will work worse than trying to hack thourgh the first type, but feasable and possibly useful if you want to overwhelm your opponent with hacking attempts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012