Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Killing a Dragon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
IF you got the dragon to sit still for long enough, it would work,

For some reason I pictured a runner with a fresh diaper in his hand, and a butt-naked dragon squirming away on the carpet...
nick012000
What about a few S-K cruise missile strikes?

And about how long it would take the S-K strike teams to arrive: How long does it take a Lone Star FRT or Ares Firewatch team to arrive? Lofwyr's got the resources to go and hire a few of those on short notice.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (caramel frappuccino)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Plan C
Cause it to become so depressed it decides to commite suicide.
This might actually work.

Are you being sarcastic?

Yes.
Dog
Apparently, to kill a dragon, elect him.
toturi
QUOTE (Dog)
Apparently, to kill a dragon, elect him.

To be President. Apparently being elected CEO doesn't kill a dragon.
fistandantilus4.0
Can't think of a lot of dragons that try to get elected as CEO. Most apparently just walk in and magically own the place, and kick ya' out of the CEO spot without so much as a 'How do you do?'
Herald of Verjigorm
Not exactly, it involves buying up 50.01% of voting stock before walking in. Then, no one can oppose the claim of CEO and chairdragon.
Sharaloth
If i remember correctly, Lofwyr decided that .01% wasn't slap-in-the-face enough, and did it with a full on 60%
hobgoblin
and the payment was i cash, right?
iirc, one big lump of gold...
Sharaloth
nah, he spent twenty years quietly buying up stock and playing the investor game, using a chunk of his hoarded gold as initial cash. People like to comment that he used a straight chunk of his hoard to buy the stocks wholesale, but that doesn't really make sense, this isn't the nanosecond buyout here, that much stock shifting that fast would have been noticed, and probably countered by Wilhelmina and her friends, making it an epic struggle for control of the corp. Instead, Lofwyr just walked in one day, to the surprise of everyone, and declared himself king and chairdragon. Nobody knew how much he owned until he told them, that kind of secrecy takes time and careful planning, not some grand, gold-filled gesture (though i wouldn't put that last beyond Lofwyr if he felt it served his purposes better).
TheHappyAnarchist
So, what are the stats for Dragons like in SR4?
tisoz
The same.
TheHappyAnarchist
Wait, so they changed the whole system, but left stats the same?
Dragons have quickness instead of agility and reaction?
tisoz
Ha ha! Ok, similar

Western Dragon
B15 A7 R8 S40 C8 I8 W8 EDG6 ESS6+1D6 M=ESS Init16 IP2

Great Dragons
B+10 A+3 R+3 S+10 C+5 I+5 L+5 EDG6 ESS12 M12 Init+8
FrostyNSO
So really, they got a bit of a boost as far as SR4's generally lower attributes are concerned.
tisoz
Right, they are more powerful than ever.
caramel frappuccino
The way I see it, dragons and other immortals are significantly less powerful than in SR3 since the new edition took away karma pool, their universal get out of jail free card.
FrostyNSO
Wow, good point. You have just dealt a great blow to the "OMG DRAGONS ARE UNKILLABLE AND THIS IS WHY!" crowd.
Gerald Fitzgerald
Uh, they may have removed the karma pool, but they added in the "you're fucked clause."

Rolled a bunch of successes when attacking a dragon? Whoopsie-doodle, the great dragon just used his special ability to make you reroll all those successes.

Sure he used edge, and he only has a finite amount of it... but are you going to live long enough to watch him run out of edge? Probably not.
Dog
Sigh, I miss the good old days of completely arbitrary threat ratings.

Player: "No, I'm asking how many dice you're gonna roll."

Gm: "And I'm asking you how many we got!"
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Gerald Fitzgerald)
Sure he used edge, and he only has a finite amount of it... but are you going to live long enough to watch him run out of edge? Probably not.

See, but that's the thing, it is now finite.

Spirits, quickened spells, hordes of minions, traps, and just about everything else the dragon crew mentions can be overcome with planning and the right resources (which may or may not be out of reach depending on the PC's. The one thing that was completely out of your control was that dragon's karma pool and the unique ways which he could use it to fuck you (and not the good way). Compounding this was that the dragon had a boatload of karma pool to do it with (some people say greats would have KP in the thousands...I respectfully disagree on that point).
Oracle
The way I see it a Great Dragon is an enemy that should be impossible to kill for groups of PCs. It is unfluffy.

Killing Adult Dragons is a different story. It could be done. With a lot of carefull and secret planning. And unconventional thinking. The direct approach will most likely not work. Because the Dragon will be prepared for it. One thing can't be represented by the rules: All Dragons are creatures of great cunning. They survived millenias. Most of them have a whole fragging lot of experience with stupid people wanting to kill them. They survived. Every single wannabe dragonslayer of the past. Actually they had an appointment for dinner with a lot of these guys... wink.gif

Fuchs
Yes, but things change. It is one thing to deal with a pesky knight and similar stuff, but a whole different thing to deal with modern technology, or even the the SR4 tech. Or just some old-fashioned massive explosion.
IMHO, the only thing keeping Dragons alive are their helpers and ressources - stats don't matter when the entire building gets vaporised, f.e.
Oracle
A pesky knight that was able to use magical powers that were much stronger than everything seen in the sixth world. Powerfull spellcasters in the times of the last scourge have been absolutely able to use powers similar to modern day weapons of mass destruction. An archer-adept's arrows are not less dangerous to a dragon than an AA missile.
Critias
It's not like "pesky knight" in Earthdawn meant "delusional Catholic minor nobility," like it does IRL. Take a look at some high-Circle ED stuff, and you'll see the sort of power these half-assed Adepts and spellcasters in Shadowrun have dreams about.
nick012000
All I can remember about Warrior adepts was that they could turn their skin into bark at Circle 1, and they were good at fighting.
Grinder
Absolutely. ED was near the high peak of the magic flow, so the adepts/spellcasters wher able to do things and develop talents/spells that are impossible in the 6th world (but will be one day, when the magic flow is high enough). Just think of spells like "city in a bottle" or "call forth the army of decay" or random talents above 10th circle.
Oracle
Oh yes. My group's players always cry out in pain when they remember the end of our Barsaive at War campaign. My Nethermancer used the situation to his absolute benefit. ^^ First I arranged the battle at sky point to cause massive numbers of unnecessary deaths. And after that I used my freshly summoned army of decay to support queen Twiceborn and her horror masters, turning Barsaive from Skypoint to Throal in a kingdom of the dead. smile.gif

Dragons live in a much safer world by now.

Grinder
That comes close to our nethermancer's wet dream. Luckily he was killed by a theran cavalry charge some months before the battle of Triumph. wink.gif
Fuchs
I played ED. Compared to modern contemporary weapons of mass destruction - not some AA missile - those are small fry.

120mm MBT cannon shooting penetrators or HEAT.

A tanker full of home-made explosives, Oklahoma-Style.

A passenger/freight airliner with a full tank on a collision course with a building. Augmented with explosives if neccessary.

FAE bombs.

Thor Shots.

Tac-Nukes.

Strategic Nukes.

Nanoviruses and similar bio/chemical agents.

IMHO, Earthdawn simply doesn't compare. Nice stuff for fantasy adventures pitting heroes against the big bad monsters - but limited by the typical fantasy conventions which allow Big Bad Monsters at all.

(hyperbole) Want to get rid of Dragons? "Discover" that Dragon heart/brain enhances potency. Dragons will show up on endangered species lists faster than rich people all over the world can call their favorite suppliers (/hyperbole)
Oracle
Dragon parts are of much greater worth, because they are sought for as components for enchanting.
Sicarius
yeah but how many people can do enchanting vs. how many people want a stronger... err... organ.
hyzmarca
When it comes to increasing potency it is cheaper, easier, and safer just to bathe in some radioactive waste.
ShadowDragon8685
Yeah, but woulden't a penile enhancer that could (authentically) label itself with the face of a Great Dragon be worth even more to rich impotents who're too stupid to get a Mr. Studd?

"Power of Loftwyr!"
FrostyNSO
Hate to derail, but does anybody have a guess at the essence cost of a Mr. Studd?

I told my player it was 5.9...it is afterall, his manhood he's replacing.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Hate to derail, but does anybody have a guess at the essence cost of a Mr. Studd?

It would depend on how far he goes. The basic model is probably just an inflatable plastic tube installed under the skin and a DNI hydrolic pump to inflate and deflate it. I'd say between .2 and .4

The full bioware replacement with geneticly altered gonads would be closer to .8 or 1 bioindex.

The latter has the advantage that women can get them too. If SURGE and surgery an give us catgirls we might as well get futanari too.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 6 2005, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Dec 6 2005, 01:49 PM)

It would depend on how far he goes. The basic model is probably just an inflatable plastic tube installed under the skin and a DNI hydrolic pump to inflate and deflate it. I'd say between .2 and .4

The full bioware replacement with geneticly altered gonads would be closer to .8 or 1 bioindex.

The latter has the advantage that women can get them too. If SURGE and surgery an give us catgirls we might as well get futanari too.

Futa! W00t!

*snickers.*

So, now here's the question. If you can get it by bioware for .8 or 1 index, what does that SURGE cost in build points? Or is it a Flaw?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Or is it a Flaw?

well again, I think we'd have to say that depends on how far he takes it. rotfl.gif
PBTHHHHT
*smacks forehead against workdesk... repeatedly*
Oh boy, the thread is going into that direction again... rotfl.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 6 2005, 06:44 PM)
Or is it a Flaw?

well again, I think we'd have to say that depends on how far he takes it. rotfl.gif

Well, I've seen some that by rights should impose a clumsiness penalty to doing athletics... Pretty much anything by BehindMoon Q springs to mind. nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
You know, it just hit me... Why not just make it a chargen SURGE choice that dosen't cost BP. Because it's neither flaw nor edge, just a combinant of gender.
FrostyNSO
I had a player take a 1 point flaw for a tiny one, came up with the idea himself of all things too.

Then of course, everybody starts asking about the "edge" version....
ShadowDragon8685
The Edge version? That'd be worth the BP.
hyzmarca
The edge version would be the same but involves the character's girlfriend goblinizing into a windling.
ShadowDragon8685
Windling?
Critias
Earthdawn reference. You'd love 'em.
Oracle
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 7 2005, 02:18 PM)
Windling?

Really small ( 50 cm) elves with butterfly wings. Annoying little pests if you ask me. Playing stupid pranks half the time. One of the metahuman / namegiver races that didn't return on a large scale, possibly because the magic level is still too low for them. Like T'skrang or Obsidimen. Though a few of them show up in Great Britain, as far as I know.
ShadowDragon8685
Man, they sound funny. If you can inflict them on your opposition. nyahnyah.gif

Still, all you'd need is a light dusting of FAB III to handle that pest problem, assuming they're Dual-Natured.
Oracle
No, they are not. They have natural vision to astral space, though. But not permanent.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, damn. That sucks.

However, we can be sure of one thing. A 50 cm tall creature is going to be extremely vulnerable to the smog and stuff that makes humans want to buy respirators for when they want to go outside. So you won't have to worry about them in the sprawl. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012