Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment:Company Men
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Aku
Date:unknown

You have been captured, and given the terms of of your release. Work for your captors, permanently, or die. As you sit in your cell, you bear witness to a fragger that decides to take the latter option, and is rewarded to his wishes, with a high powered rifle shot to his head.

Special Rules: Post Chargen, money won't exist, everything will be requisistioned from the Corp, and that will either be approved or denied. As you are also captured, gear, is irrelevent, as anything that isnt in you or attached to you is a moot point.

There will be a hardcap of 500K for money in chargen, and a lower than normal BP, probably around 100 but that is discussable.

I'll hold an open discussion on which corp, or atleas,t what style of corp your last run was on, if desired. Otherwise, you can submit 2 "good" and 2 "bad" corps, as your character views them.

House rules will be discussable, however, knockdown will not be used.
Slacker
In case people are wondering, Aku got the idea from this thread.

Aku, I'm interested but not sure if I have time to work up a character. What kind of time frame are you looking at for character concept submissions?

I'll probably be creating an adept possibly a social adept if you allow powers from SOTA: 64 (i can send you specifics on any that I'd want to use).
FrostyNSO
Hmmmm...is this the fate of our dudes in the First Shadow thread?
Slacker
Lol, interesting question Frosty. I'm sure something of a tie-in to that could be done. From the sound of this game it could be that several groups of runners were caught and those from the First Shadow game could be among them.
Chance359
I'm interested. Is BECKS with 325 karma alright?
Aku
I'd REAAAAAAALLLLLY prefer if you can keep it to point buy smile.gif

oh, and i should mention, i'm still pretty green when it comes to this SR stuff (though, not as green as in my first shadow game)

And as for using characters from FS... hmm, it definately is an interesting idea, but i'm not sure how well they could be retrofitted down to 100ish points.

I'd also like there to be some sort of common thread between everyone, so that the type of corp is easy to incorporate with all of the characters. So that say, if we decide that the last run was againsit a magic corp, all characters have some sort of magical interests (even if its as thin as the sammy liking witches cuz all of the wiccans he knows, he thinks are hot)
FrostyNSO
If you know some hot wiccans, you should hook me up.
Mister Juan
I'd also be pretty interested.
I've been itching to play a face/conman for quite some time.
I wouldn't be agaisnt trying for a field decker also...
Mister Juan
As for the corp; I think it could be very interesting if the deal was offered by Aztechnology. Quite honestly, they are almost always the "bad guys". Nothing like working the bad dudes wink.gif
brohopcp
I'll second the notion of working for Aztechnology, it sounds like fun. 100 b.p. character comin' up.
Chance359
Working for the Azziess sounds cool. Also AKU where do you want submissions sent to?
Aku
give character concepts here, and sent characters ( PREFERABBLY as an NSRCG file, or, if you're feeling fiesty, a semi HTML'd sheet to)

[ Spoiler ]

Working for the Azzies eh? This should be interesting... finding or guarding dark blood magic secrets... hmm, yes, lots of potential there.....
Sicarius
I'd like to take part, the only thing is that I don't have the tech to HTML the file. Is simple text okay? I promise to make the sheet readable and decently organized.

Aku
sure, as long as it's well organized...

I'd rather get 6 bajillion pages, each with it's own info seperated, than 2 pages with everything in one straight line where my poor head can't seperate what from this and from that...

i hate those sheets.
Sicarius
I will do my very best to make it reasonable.

brohopcp
Clarification: If I make a mage type with no 'ware'. Should I choose the 500ny option for -5 b.p.'s since no gear is needed?
Aku
well, that depends, i AM tossing around the idea of allowing things that also have a karma cost be bought in chargen but i'm not so sure (it makes a wierd well, why'd ya save their foci if not my uber gun sorta thing)

However, there are other things a mage can buy at chargen, that wouldnt be taken away, spell points in particular, so im not sure taking only 5K is really a good option, but i suppose of you really want to go that way, you can.

And as (further) clarification, not everything will be insta-requistionable through the company. Mundane things are easy (guns, ammo, armor) magical "things" im not entirely sure, mainly because of the karma cost that goes with them, sure, you can ASK for a new weapon foci for every day of the week, but are you going to be able to keep up with the karma?

And on that note, non-expendables, would be expected to be returned at the end of overy job.

Oh, and logic rules apply for just HOW much you can carry (ya ask for a bajillion bullets, i'm gonna wanna know where each set of those majillion are going...)
Sicarius
Character Concept: Wheeze, Ex-gang girl, and bioware samurai.
100 Bps, took 25 points of resources (650,000), but didn't use the last 180,000 nuyen.gif , which puts her under 500,000 nuyen.gif

Stats,contacts, and personality brief are on its way, a more longer, more detailed history is in the making.

Aku
well, i've got one submission, anyone else still brewing? Working with fanpro style chracter deadlines, so if you're brewing something but are worried about time, speak up.

I think i'm going to keep things somewhere in the 4-6 character realm, so if i get multiple submissions, it'll be on a worthiness basis, not first coem first serve.
Jaid
hmmm... i might see what i can come up with...

for the record, i have read a lot of SR3 books, but never actually quite managed to get a game going (the group i play with mostly does D&D, and occasionally Rifts), but anyways, i might write something up for this one... sounds very interesting...

so, obviously, you are using the shadowrun companion... any other books? (MiTS, CC, M&M, etc?)

for the record, if i do submit something, i am fine with the Azzies as well.

just a quick question though... what happens to gear etc that we "requisition" from the targets of our runs (for example, if you have been issued a pistol, and you get into the other corp's armory and get yourself an alpha or something).

do you have increased access to that gear for your next run (they obviously won't let you keep it, i presume), or it gets taken away and you never really see it again? or something else?
brohopcp
Character: Calvin
Concept: Young Full Mage in over his head.

Current Status: Ran away from home a year or two ago. Found a 'friendly' organization and they convinced him to break into an azzy compound and 'find' evidence of wrongdoing. He was caught (pretty easily) and captured (instead of killed) for his magical skills. Currently sitting in interrogation room.

Will send nsrcg file today, background and intro later.
Aku
Jaid Hmm, good question.. honestly, in SR i've never been one to be fond of extreme looting, but the way the gerbil in my head imagines things, is that, as company men, "the company" will get first dibs on whatever you find that is "new", to examine it and possibly incorporate into their own gear. I dont expect everyone to plob open the gear books on mission one, and request the biggest baddest of everything and expect to get it, although i will make sure i allow enough of everything to cover the skills and who not.

Which, brings me to the date question, im thinking early '60s would be best, as then alot of your missions will be based around go steal/protect this secret of ours. Ofcourse, failure may not always mean death (if i'm good), but does anyone else feel like chimming in on the when?

Brohopcp Doesnt sound bad, but make sure that you have motivation for acctually surrendering to the azzies (unless, ofcourse, you don't plan on that for the character, but if you intend to live past the first page, as a player, i suggest you do, or have an alternative ready biggrin.gif )
Jaid
that would be why i used the example of an ares alpha as opposed to, say, a prototype of a new Ares Laser wink.gif

naturally, i presume anything unique, rare enough to be hard to get, valuable, etc, the corp will keep for themselves. and besides, what do you stand to gain from "excessive looting"? it might increase your options minutely, but you can't take it all with you, and i'm sure the corp considers money one of those things they're gonna confiscate, so that's not likely to last (unless of course we manage to escape, in which case we would likely have to do at least some looting in order to cover living expenses for the first little while).
Aku
well, i guess it comes down to, what do you have to gain. In run, i can see snagging the clips if needed, but trying to keep a gun, well we'll see what comes up, in all likely hood, it's going to be confiscated (in the name of keeping the company safe from outside influences.) But yes, if you do try to escape and manage, i'd expect the amount of looting to go up, significantly.
Jaid
i'm not talking about keeping the item (unless, of course, you can hide it from the Azzies, in which case you can certainly do it, but can also expect to lose limbs and/or your head if you get caught), but rather increased availability to that item on assignment (for example, if the team steals a car as a getaway vehicle, can they expect to have greater access to that car for later missions as compared to if they asked for a different car).

but anyways, i think the question is getting a little complex here, so maybe you should just ignore it and decide if it ever comes up nyahnyah.gif
Critias
If I get bored enough to make a new character, I will likely email you Tex, aka "The Texan," an anti-Azzie guerilla fighter who was run off his land during all the skirmishing (lost his house, maybe a wife, blah blah blah) and decided to fight back; but the numbers eventually caught up to him. (Un)luckily for him, someone higher than middle-management in Azzie security looked at this lone man's impact on profit/loss margins for the areas in which he operated, and decided to put him to work.

And, as he puts it, "It ain't like I like workin' for 'em, but it beats dyin'. Not by much, but there ya go."
Aku
I'm up too 2 submissions. Call is still open, but within a week or so i'll hopefully have a final deadline for submissions.
Jaid
k, i think i'm gonna be submitting something shortly...

short version of the backstory, He's a russian dwarf who's interested in mythology/fantasy (figures he may find something useful with the mythology knowledge), signed on for a run against the Azzies 'cause he figured they had the most magic knowledge of all the corps, and he was hoping to "acquire" some extras on the run. he has ties to the Atlantean Foundation (not a member, just a professional relationship), and if you like he may have been doing a run for them when he got caught. He is generally fairly practical about most things, so although he doesn't really like the Azzies (does anyone?) he figures it's better to work for them until he can get away.

for the record, in terms of character creation i presume our contacts will look something like having Aztechnology as our only contact? or should we actually figure out who our contacts would be if we were actually able to talk to them?
Aku
You can have your two freebies on the outside, if you want, but contact with them would not be possible, or you can make them azzie memebers, in a sort of "this is the type of person i want to make contact with" sort of way.

Because, ya know, even aztech people have factions wink.gif
Critias
Sorry, never got bored enough to make that guy. I'm out.
Jaid
ok, sent mine in.

hope i sent the right file... i can't say i have any idea what the .bak is really nyahnyah.gif
Slacker
The .bak file is a backup of your character at the time of finalization. At least that is what it appears to be. If you just change the extension to .sr3 it becomes the normal character save file.
Aku
I have three characters submitted, and a "maybe" from slacker. Any other entries i would like by the first weekend in january (i'll say, by monday the 9th, noon EST) If i get more than 4-5 I'll whittle them down to that number. if i only have 3 would those already supplied still like to continue the game?
Sicarius
I'm all for it.
Jaid
i'd like a little more, but if it's only 3 i'm still interested.
brohopcp
3,4, or 5 would be great. Heck, any number would be great. Count me in (if it's over 10 members I can count with my toes nyahnyah.gif )
Aku
ok, well, i've got you three in then, and i think i can say safely, barring a HUGE outpouring of submissions, that you are defintely in (i dont think i would be able to manage running with 10 runners though, so if it gets tot hat number, trimming would have to be done) but, assuming fewer than 6 entries i'd say you guys are all safe and sound, as company men.
Jaid
i don't know that i'd describe being "company men" (in this case) as being safe and sound, but it's nice to know i didn't just come up with a character for nothing nyahnyah.gif
Aku
ok, so i'm talking to slacker a bit about his potential character, and am flushing out some idea's, and want to make sure we're all on the same page for what we'll be doing.

Initially, being on the lower rung of your new company, the early missions are going to be along the lines of "heres the info, here's the objective, go do it, and research/leg work is going to be at a minimum (because, honestly, i suck at it) as you work your way up the corporate ladder (and i get better at this SR schtic), jobs can become more esponaige like, with longer details, and less information provided, with the company expecting you to be able to do that on your own at some point.

So early game, expect lots of combat and non-people oriented puzzles. Think tomb raider, with bigger guns, but "smaller guns" wink.gif
Sicarius
That'll work, assuming I don't get my poor character killed off to soon.
Aku
Another idea, for those already in, to ponder: As you can see with the slow responses around here, i think the team is pretty well set, Slacker however, is being a slacker (actually, keeps telling me something about not having time around the holidays, BAH!) So, would the three of oyu like to start and have slacker's character join as a recent...convert, once he's finished and approved? Or would you just wait until the 9th?
brohopcp
I would be ready and happy to start at any time, though will be comfortable with whatever decision is made.
Jaid
whatever works.
Aku
well, thats two out of three, "whatever", I'll start up the ooc and ic threads and let things get rolling. I'm still taking a few players though, so don't feel afraid to post something if you're coming in late....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012