Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life Follows Gaming
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
stevebugge
So I just wasted about 15 minutes updating my "Training Master Sheet" for the HR people, and I couldn't help but feel like I was filling out the skills section of a character sheet.

PC:3
Fax machine: 3
Answer Phone: 5
Prepare Shipping Documents:5
Accounting: 2

And so on and so on.......
ShadowDragon8685
Hehehe, Shoulden't Prepare Shipping Documents be a specialization of paperwork in general? Paperwork 3/Shipping Documents 5?

nyahnyah.gif
stevebugge
You're probably right, except my specialization would be Export Shipping Documents I think

Maybe I'll have to go back to SR2 Skill/Concentration/Specialization
Document preparation3/Shipping Documents 4/Export Shipping Documents 5
Prosper
PC: 3
Research: 4
Knowledge: Mechanical Engineering 4
Pistols: 3
Explosives Research: 2
Women: -1
Backgammon
Heh. There should be a Seduction skill in SR, that way you can take the Incompetant negative quality for it and not even be able to default.
Birdy
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Heh. There should be a Seduction skill in SR, that way you can take the Incompetant negative quality for it and not even be able to default.

But Deckers only get half the points for Incompetence: Seduction!

If any at all!
Straight Razor
skills:
engineering 2
electronics 1 high voltage 3
B/R blimp 5
B/R handy-man 3
car 1
math 1
spelling -1
[edit] biotech 3 [edit]

knowledge:
biology 2 human anatomy 4
medicine 3
mythos and folk lore 4
zoology 2
[edit] role playing games 4 [edit]
Czar Eggbert
Knowledge Skills
Internet Connections: Trouble Shooting 3/5
Office Politics 3
Office Procedures:Call Center Procedures 3/5
General Knowledge Computers: Microsoft 3/5
DJing Karaoke 5
Comic Books 5
ILEC Phone company procedures 4

Active Skills
Computer 3
Computer (B/R) 3
Electronics:Office Equipment 3/6
Electronics(B/R) 2
Etiquette: Karaoke DJ 5
Etiquette: Corp 4
Etiquette: Bar 4
Negotion: Sales 5

That all the one that really matter...

-The Eggman
Deamon_Knight
Whats really depressing is determinig your stats and calculating how much Karma you blew to get here!
Quix
Straight Razor, you build handy men? Should that fall under biotech(cloning)?
grinbig.gif biggrin.gif rotfl.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
Whats really depressing is determinig your stats and calculating how much Karma you blew to get here!

Incidentally, that's what this thread was all about.
John Campbell
So when do we start flaming people over their self-assessment of their skills and attributes?
Critias
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Hehehe, Shoulden't Prepare Shipping Documents be a specialization of paperwork in general? Paperwork 3/Shipping Documents 5?

nyahnyah.gif

No. No it shouldn't.

Because I work for DHL and personally handle a little over a thousand such shipping documents a night, and I can promise you that at least half the jackholes out there obviously have no idea what they're doing when they fill those things out.

Shipping Documents is a skill all unto itself, and one most people very clearly are defauling to try and gain access to.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (John Campbell)
So when do we start flaming people over their self-assessment of their skills and attributes?

As AE posted, two years ago.

~J
John Campbell
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Dec 7 2005, 10:19 PM)

As AE posted, two years ago.

Yes, yes. I meant in this thread. It's been entirely too polite and good-natured! Where is Dumpshock without telling people that they're obviously far stupider and less capable than they think they are?
Solstice
Pistols: 2
Sporting Rifles: 4
Shotguns: 3
Survival: 3
Athletics:3
Computers: 3
Computers B/R: 2
Automotive B/R: 2
20th Century commercial construction: 2
Scientific Writing: 4
Alertness: 4
Ettiquette/Governement subculture: 1/3
Piano: 4
Emergency Medical Treatment/wilderness response: 2/4

Knowledge Biology: 4
Knowledge research: 5
Knowledge math: 3
Knowledge wildilfe management: 5
Knowledge mammology: 3
Knowledge ornithology: 3

20th century RPGs: 2
20th century punk music: 2
20th century heavy metal music: 5
Kagetenshi
Well, Solstice was smart enough to deny us the low-hanging fruit of a listed Intelligence score, so I guess we need to wait a few more posts to get things rolling.

~J
Solstice
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, Solstice was smart enough to deny us the low-hanging fruit of a listed Intelligence score, so I guess we need to wait a few more posts to get things rolling.

~J

well what is the ratio of IQ:SR3 INT point?

nyahnyah.gif
Critias
I'm pretty sure Tracking is covered under Survival. Rifles is just...Rifles (covers sniper and sporting, both), though you could specialize in your favorite specific model if you wanted. Alertness is a specialization of Stealth, not a seperate skill.

Get in line, rulebreaker!
Solstice
QUOTE (Critias)
I'm pretty sure Tracking is covered under Survival. Rifles is just...Rifles (covers sniper and sporting, both), though you could specialize in your favorite specific model if you wanted. Alertness is a specialization of Stealth, not a seperate skill.

Get in line, rulebreaker!

sure whatever.

Rules? I just make em up........ grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 8 2005, 01:57 AM)

~J

nyahnyah.gif

Could always go with INT 3 being ±1 standard deviation, int 2 being -1-2 standard deviations, int 1 being -2-3, int 4 being +1-2, int 5 being +2-3, etc. etc. etc.

~J

canOfWorms.set("open");
Oracle
@ Kagetenshi:

Quake Bot Psychology 8
rotfl.gif

Your Bot-Fu is stronger than mine.

Humm...never played deckers a lot. So I don't know anymore how the computer skills broke up in SR3...

Computers 4
Computers B/R 3
Electronics 3
Electronics B/R 2
Ettiquette / Gothic subculture 3 / 5
Negotiation 3
Leadership / Motivation 1 / 3
Karate 3
Whips / Jugger-Chain 1 / 3
Athletics 2
Stealth 2
Biotech 1
Cars 1

Useless knowledge 5
RPGs of the 20th century 4
Insulting religious jokes 7
Politics 4
History 3
Program Design: Merchandise Management Systems 3
System Familiarity: Database Systems 4

French 0 / RW 1
German 6 / RW 5
English 3 / RW 2

Edges / Flaws:

Incompetence: Cars
Incompetence: Electronics B/R 2
Addiction Mild: Coca Cola
Drace
Active-
Computers: 2
Knives: 4
Ettiquite:1
Home Renovations (House Painting):2/4
Unarmed (Tae Kwon Do):3/5
Negotiation:1
Hiding:3
Survival:4
Bullshitting:4
Pizza Making:3
Sandwhich Making:1
Landscaping:2
Biking:2
Insulting(quick remarks):2/4

Knowledge-
Pointless factoids:5
Business:1
History(anceint):4/6
Hypocrasies (religious):1/3
Music History(punk):1/3

Qualities:
First Impression
High Pain tolerance
Guts

Flaws:
Puts foot in mouth repeatedly
Inept-Guns
Inept-Cars
Inept-Talking
Inept-Talking to women sober (at least I'm honest)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Could always go with INT 3 being ±1 standard deviation, int 2 being -1-2 standard deviations, int 1 being -2-3, int 4 being +1-2, int 5 being +2-3, etc. etc. etc.

At least that will make the higher values quite rare... P(STAT 11)=0.00000000000000066613
This way the highest stat rating that you'd likely see in the whole human population would be 8.
Straight Razor
Well IQ should be a simple conversion.
since by the math 50% of the population have an IQ of 100
25% are 75 - 99
25% are 101 - 125
25% are < 75
25% are > 125

so i'd say
1=50
2=75
3=100
4=125
5=140-150
6=150-200
7=200-250
8~300
just rember 1 in 4 people you meet are clinicaly retarted and 1 in 6 shouldn't be outside without a keeper.
Austere Emancipator
Straight Razor: What system of IQ measurement has a standard deviation of ~37.065? Mensa, for example, uses a standard deviation of 24.

Since I don't really like this brand of canned worms, I won't launch into a huge rant about IQ measurement. Let's just keep in mind that the Intelligence-statistic in Shadowrun clearly measures a whole lot of things that no RL IQ test I'm aware of touches upon, thus no IQ measurement necessarily has anything to do with having a high INT score in SR.
Mr.Platinum
Yeah I have been thinking of having an Avatar Game but I just don't want to run it, I want to play
ElFenrir
I think many of us would have lots and lots of skills...albiet at low levels. Ok, my skills in SR4 format:

Active:
Pistols 1
Longarms 1
Unarmed Combat: 1
Throwing: 1
Computer: 2
Hardware: 1
Infiltration: 1
Shadowing: 2
Etiquette(Music) :3(+2)
Perception: 2
Negotiation(Bargain) :3(+2)
Clubs: 2
Archery: 1
Artisan(musical) :1(+2)
Blades: 1
Sarcasm: 6
Lifting(Drunken Companions) :1(+2)

Knowledge/Language:

Metal Music(European) :7(+2)
Journalism(Music) :2(+2)
Photography(Concerts) :2(+2)
Useless Trivia: 3
Chemistry: 1
Metal Bars(Helsinki) :3(+2)
DJing(Metal): 4(+2)
Alcohol: 3
Drunken Wrestling: 4
Cooking(Ramen) :2(+2)
Occult: 2
Hevi Karaoke: 5
20th Century RPGs: 4
Video Games: 6
Movies(Horror) :2(+2)

English: N
Finnish(Bar Jargon) : 2(+2)
Swedish: 1
German: 1
Norwegian: 1

+ Qualities:
Guts
High Pain Tolerance
Friends in High Places(Musical, anyway)
Friends Abroad
Aptitude: Metal Music Knowledge

- Qualities:
Addiction: Severe, Smoking
Addiction: Moderate, Caffiene
Allergy: Mild, pollen/mold
Allergy: Moderate, some antibiotic I can't spell
Incompetence: Con
Incompetence: Intimidation

I'd be a really crappy shadowrunner, but a pretty kickass musical fixer or sorts in a Shadowbeat campaign probably.
Solstice
QUOTE (ElFenrir)

Sarcasm: 6
Lifting(Drunken Companions) :1(+2)
Drunken Wrestling: 4

LOL nice.
Solstice
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 8 2005, 02:21 AM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Dec 8 2005, 01:59 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 8 2005, 01:57 AM)

~J

nyahnyah.gif

~J

canOfWorms.set("open");

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 8 2005, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

At least that will make the higher values quite rare... P(STAT 11)=0.00000000000000066613
This way the highest stat rating that you'd likely see in the whole human population would be 8.

At any given time. You'd get an 11 every couple hundred thousand 6-billion-person iterations, roughly. That's pre-augmentation, of course.

Puts the "exceptional" back in "exceptional attribute".

~J
Lindt
My only 'outstanding' skill would be driving. I mean afterall, I have 5 dots in the old White Wolf system.

5: Drive in Boston in the winter, for fun.
6: Mario Andretti

Kyoto Kid
In SR3 format - special cases as noted

Active Skills

Artistic (Drawing) 5 (7)
Athletics 3
Athletics Spc. (Cycling) (4)
Athletics Spc. (Sport/Traction Kites) (6)
Bicycle B/R 3
Computer (Applications) 2 (4)
Electronics 2
Handyman (Stagecraft) 1 (3)
Leadership (Business Admin.) 2 (4)
Leadership Spc. (Radio Announcing) (5) - Per Shadowbeat
Negotiation (Business Admin) 2 (4)
Negotiation Spc. (Interviewing) (4) - Per Shadowbeat
Performance (Piano) 2 (4)
Performance Spc. (Acting - Theatre) (3)
Piano B/R 2
Projectile Weapons (Bows) 1 (3)
Sport Kite B/R 4
Stealth (3)
Winged Plane (Single Engine prop) 1 (3)

Knowledge Skills:

AK: aeronautic Engineering 2
AK: architecture 2
AK: Astronomy 3
AK: Economics (Transportation) 2 (4)
AK: History 3
History Spc. (Cold War) (4)
History Spc. (Space Programmes) (4)
History Spc. (Transportation since 1900) (5)
History Spc. (Broadcast Journalism) (4)
AK: Music Literature 4
AK: Music Theory 3
AK: Music History 4
Music History Spc. (Composer - Olivier Messiaen) (6)
Music History Spc. (Composer - JS Bach) (5)
Music History Spc. (Composer - Frederic Chopin) (6)
Music History Spc. (Acoustic Keyboard Instruments) (5)
AK: Physics 3
AK: Political Science (Transportation Policy) 2 (4)
Int: Science Fiction 4
Int: Sport Kite Competition 5
Int: NFL football 4
Int: College Sports 3
Int: Craft Beers 3
Int: Fine Wines 3
Int: Gourmet Cooking (Ethnic) 2 (4)

Languages
Queen's English 5
Read/Write 4 (extra Karma applied)
German 3
Read/Write 1

Lots of years,,,Lots of Karma
Wounded Ronin
Would pizza making really be an active skill? I'd say that stuff that help you be a munchkin, like Rifles or Biotech, are active skills, whereas background stuff like pizza making becomes a knowledge skill.
John Campbell
It's clearly a specialization of Cooking, which is an established Knowledge Skill.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Would pizza making really be an active skill? I'd say that stuff that help you be a munchkin, like Rifles or Biotech, are active skills, whereas background stuff like pizza making becomes a knowledge skill.

And you think taking Pizza Making 1 and Incompetence: Pizza Making doesn't help you be a munchkin?

~J
emo samurai
My knowledge skills aren't nearly as diversified as most of yours. How old are you? Is it because I'm sheltered, or is it because I'm 20? And no-one's posted magic stats. That's disappointing. That kills my sense of wonder.
Solstice
QUOTE (emo samurai)
My knowledge skills aren't nearly as diversified as most of yours. How old are you? Is it because I'm sheltered, or is it because I'm 20? And no-one's posted magic stats. That's disappointing. That kills my sense of wonder.

That depends on how much you want to split hairs. I could probably list off about 20 more knowledge skills it's just not that pertinent in relation to the rest of reality and it's probably background knowledge similar to other college educated (or not) people.
ElFenrir
Well, Sarcasm can be somewhat looked at as a magical skill. It's affects can fill a room and higher Force variants can nearly choke out the victims of the attack.
Deamon_Knight
Now, If only I had the arms dealer contact!
warrior_allanon
alright i'm gonna give this a shot

Active:
Firearms SG: 3
firearms maintenance 2
close combat SG: 3
Blade maintenance 2
Throwing: 2
Computer: 2
Hardware: 1
Infiltration: 2
Shadowing: 1
Etiquette(bars) :2
Perception: 3
intimidation :3
Archery: 1
Ground craft mechanic 3
pilot ground craft 3
aircraft mechanic 3
pilot aircraft 3
watercraft mechanic 3
pilot watercraft 1

Knowledge/Language:

general Trivia: 3
Chemistry:3
Alcohol:2
Wrestling (drunks): 4(+2)
Cooking(Ramen) :2(+2)
Occult: 3
20th Century entertainment 4
Military operating procedure 3

English: N
spanish 1
russian 1
gaelic 1

+ Qualities:
Guts
High Pain Tolerance
Mentor Spirit: wolf

- Qualities:
Addiction: Moderate, Caffiene
Allergy:severe,Penicillian/codine

i'm actually both knowlegable and physically able, its the lack of physical attributes that make me not be so imposing, Knowing my luck, i would probably end up either a shaman or a phys ad
Critias
QUOTE (Lindt)
My only 'outstanding' skill would be driving. I mean afterall, I have 5 dots in the old White Wolf system.

5: Drive in Boston in the winter, for fun.
6: Mario Andretti

Sure you do.
tisoz
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Artistic (Drawing) 5 (7)

Why are you even asking Kenshi for a drawing? You should be whipping out character sketches for everyone, after all, it does not even require an effort from you. No doubt they would beat all the illustrations in any of the books, as you are just shy of being world class and a few steps beyond merely professional.

Here's how to determine your attributes.
Quickness can be determined by determining walking rate and running rate. Also by other means like the number of throwing knives or shuriken that can be readied in 3 seconds or the number of rounds that can be loaded in a revolver or internal magazine in 3 seconds.

Strength can be determined by finding the maximum weight you can lift. Tryy several times and divide the average by 23.5kg. This is based on being able to lift (Strength)D6 + (Strength * 20) kg.

Body can be determined by finding the maximum weight you can lift and holding it. Time how long you hold it until you pass out. Subtract 30 seconds from this time and divide by 3.

Since you now have stun damage, time how long it takes to recover. The base time is 9 hours. (You ask why not 10 hours? We are timing from the time you regain consciousness, which would be at 9 boxes of stun.) Repeat this lifting/holding/passing out several times to get a good sample. If the result from your recovery test is different than the result of your Body test, you are probably using willpower to recover because it is higher. Average recovery times for W1-7: W1-540 min., W2-510 min, W3-420 min, W4-270 min, W5-252 min, W6-210 min, W7 (what are you a dwarf!) - 180 min..

Intelligence can be determined by adding up your language skill and dividing by 1.5, because you have more important things to raise than stupid language skills. If you see yourself as a linguist, add all your knowledge skills and divide by 5.

Charisma can be easily assigned. You are reading a RPG message board, give yourself a 1. If you think you are the social type, give yourself a 2.
Apathy
QUOTE (tisoz)
Charisma can be easily assigned. You are reading a RPG message board, give yourself a 1.

rotfl.gif
Solstice
Just a stab:

Bod: 2
Quickness: 4
Str: 3
Int: 5
Wil:4
Cha: 3
Apathy
In SR, there's no mechanism for attribut atrophy or skill degradation. Does this mean that I should list my skills as the highest that they've ever been? If my wrestling skill was 4 in college, but only 2 now that I'm a fat lazy dude, what should I put down?
warrior_allanon
whats more thats SR3 stats, what about SR4 stats, if i had to guess my attributes for SR4 i would say

body: 3
agility: 4
reaction: 3
strength: 3
charisma: 2
intuition: 5
logic: 3
willpower: 5

overall i'm pretty average, but i have a very high dexterity (agility), an insanely accurate sense of intuition, and a stubborn streak that would shame a mule (willpower)

while all this is true my ability to deal with women sucks due to the fact that initially i treat them all as ladies and get snubbed because of it, they read it as either outright chauvinism, or being a player with an odd unknown angle
Shrapnel
I have no skills in real life...

I simply default on everything... biggrin.gif
FrostyNSO
I expected to see a lot more:

Stealth (hiding from Boss)
Drace
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Lol, try working in a pizza place 12 hrs a day 5 days a week, it becomes an active skill that hauntes you in your sleep, and you think about it all the time. But I dont mean just knowing how, but being able to do it fast and make it presentalbe, while having at least a sub-standard health safety level (anyone who works in a restaurant should know a little of what I mean).

And if I told you all about my magical stats, plus the spirits I conjure, you'd have me locked up for psychosis and detachment from reality. But they are nice spirits.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012