Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Character Creation Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
the_dunner
In the interests of keeping SR4 campaign information separate from SR3, I've spun off a new thread.

How is this 4.0 handoff going to work?  Is it a straight 400 point build?

Yes, it's a straight 400 point build. Once the character is constructed, players may then spend Karma earned in SR3 Missions adventures to advance their SR4 character.

What happens to the Runner's equipment, both mundane and magical? What happens to certed equipment?  Will new contact certs be issued with updated stats?

• It's Gone, re-purchase it when building the SR4 character if you still want it.
  • It's Gone, there are significant changes in campaign focus between SR3 and SR4.
  • No. For reasons that will be revealed soon, certed contacts will not carry over.
BishopMcQ
For those of you who don't mind free advice, a fake SIN is probably going to be one of the most vital pieces of gear you buy. Whether you're fast talking your way past customs officials or trying to subscribe to this seasons All-Pass of Urban Brawl, people will ask to see a little bit of identification.

For a simple Ratingx1,000 ¥, you too can avoid needless search and seizures and get the latest updates on your favorite teams.
Jaid
or just be a SINner. although i expect that to cause other problems of it's own...
BishopMcQ
I would say that the ability for law enforcement personnel to track all of your movements and activities would eventually cause problems for a career criminal, yes.

Fake SINs are nice in that they are exactly that, FAKE. If people get close, you throw them away and get a new one.
Corporate Raider
In the interests of clarity, a list of what is considered to be skill modifications vs. skill bonuses would be nice. Per SR4 pg. 109, the character's base skill cannot exceed 6, and the character's modified skill rating cannot exceed the base skill x 1.5 (rounding fractions down). Bonus dice, however, can cause the dice rolled to exceed the attribute + the modified skill rating. Here's all the modifiers/bonus dice I can think of:

Modifiers to base skill (ie. cannot improve skill beyond base skill x 1.5)
-Improve Ability power of adepts
-reflex recorder bioware

Bonus dice (no limit to additional dice)
-skill specializations
-all foci except power foci
-Kinesics power of adepts
-all positive modifiers in the ranged combat modifiers table on pg. 140 (laser sight, smart link, aim actions, etc.)
-all positive modifiers in the melee modifiers table on pg. 148 (reach, friends in melee, etc.)
-mnemonic enhancer
-medkits
-vision enhancement
-audio enhancement
-spatial recognizer

Does this look right? I'll come back and edit the list if anyone finds any errors or omissions.

A similar list of attribute increasing powers/spells/cyber would be useful as well.
the_dunner
EDITED:

Errata v1.3 revises the text on p109 to clarify how this works.
Corporate Raider
For programs that are purchased during character creation, do we start the game with the copy protection already defeated, or will we have to go through a few dozen Logic + Software Tests (per SR4 pg. 228, Source Code and Piracy) after our first game to duplicate these programs?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Corporate Raider)
For programs that are purchased during character creation, do we start the game with the copy protection already defeated, or will we have to go through a few dozen Logic + Software Tests (per SR4 pg. 228, Source Code and Piracy) after our first game to duplicate these programs?

Since, depending upon the threshold and the PC's skills, they can fail this test (and with enough botches effectively erase the software) , I'd rule that they are copy-protected at start. However, if a GM is particularly benevolent, players may have the option to discuss it with their GMs directly.
linei
Question from one of my players:

Will the karma gained by rollover from SR3 count into the total karma - used for street cred values - for the new character?
the_dunner
QUOTE (linei)
Will the karma gained by rollover from SR3 count into the total karma - used for street cred values - for the new character?

Absolutely.
stevebugge
Are the rules regarding the design of new or unique traditions on pages 169 & 170 useable within the scope of Missions?
the_dunner
Are the rules regarding the design of new or unique traditions on pages 169 & 170 useable within the scope of Missions?

I'd prefer not to do that. I'd encourage players who want to play another tradition to wait for Street Magic (which should include some new traditions).

If you absolutely positively have to do a non-standard tradition, then you'll have to take it up with your GM. The problem is that this is open to a bit of abuse in optimizing resistance stats and choosing spirit combinations.
Lividicus
so the qualities are now being used in missions?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Lividicus)
so the qualities are now being used in missions?

As qualities are a core part of SR4 character creation, they are used in the SR4 Missions campaign. Without qualities, it wouldn't be possible to play a magician, adept, or technomancer.
Regnad Kcin
I've been asked by one of my players if Karma carried over from SRM3 can be used to Initiate.

So? Can it?

As a general question, are there any restrictions placed on the carrover Karma?

Thanks.

-Greg G
Commando #106
cyber.gif
linei
QUOTE (Regnad Kcin)
I've been asked by one of my players if Karma carried over from SRM3 can be used to Initiate.

Carry-over karma is simply added into the karma of the new character. If the character wants to initiate, why not?

QUOTE (Regnad Kcin)

As a general question, are there any restrictions placed on the carrover Karma?

As far as I know: none.
the_dunner
As linei indicated, there are no restrictions at all regarding how rollover karma may be spent. There is one thing to remember though -- all of that karma WILL apply when calculating Table Rating for SR4 Missions.
matblack
okay, so it is stated that SRM characters who become addicted to a substance (or BTLs, etc.) are removed from play at that time.

does this mean that the Addiction negative quality may not be taken at character generation?

if so, does that further mean that the premade characters in the SR4 book who have the Addiction negative quality (Combat Mage, etc.) cannot be chosen for a "quick-play" character?
the_dunner
QUOTE (matblack)
it is stated that SRM characters who become addicted to a substance (or BTLs, etc.) are removed from play at that time.

I should clarify that on the web site. A mild addiction is certainly acceptable. It's when a PC gets to the latter stages of addiction and it needs to be a central focus of the adventure that it's an issue.

So, a mild to moderate addiction is perfectly acceptable as a PC flaw.
Black Jack Rackham
While not a 'how-to' question, more of a 'how-many-of' I think this belongs here. Is there a limit to the number of characters (i.e. more than one) that you play SRM with?

Was just thinking that it might be nice, when I sit down to play and the rest of the characters are all sammys, that I can play my rigger/ decker/ technomancer/ mage/ whatever instead.
the_dunner
You're welcome to play as many different characters as you'd like. Just, please be careful to keep each of their debriefing logs, karma awards, etc. separate.
matblack
this is more of a general sr4 creation question.

is it possible to buy a skill group up to a certain level, then advance individual skills inside of that group (and also take a specialty in one of the individually advanced skills)? and if so, is this allowable during character creation, when using karma, or both? i couldn't find a specific ruling either way, and while it seems intuitive that this is indeed possible, some of the wording in the skills section makes me think that it might not work that way.

-mat
the_dunner
You cannot advance a skill group separately at character creation, but that is certainly possible to do when spending Karma. See the top of the 2nd column on p.264 of SR4 for the complete rules.
Zolhex
Well just to cover all bases is there a page in the rules that says you can't advance an individual skill after buying a skill group up to a certain point during creation?

Or is this just a rule for SRM's?
the_dunner
It's not explicitly stated that you cannot do that, but that was the design intent. Note on page 106 and 264 the comments about splitting the group explicitly refer to advancing after play.
matblack
QUOTE (the_dunner)
You cannot advance a skill group separately at character creation, but that is certainly possible to do when spending Karma. See the top of the 2nd column on p.264 of SR4 for the complete rules.

thanks, john.

i can't believe i missed the section that specifically addressed my question.
Zolhex
Speaking of skill groups here is a question say I wanna play a rigger.

I can take a skill group for all the mechanic skills but not for all the pilot skills that seems off a bit.

Yes I know there are quite a few pilot skills but say ground, water, air, & anthro as a skill group?

Just a thought.
the_dunner
Sorry, but adding another skill group would exceed the scope of changes which I'm willing to make for Missions.
Crakkerjakk
Rigger's best friend is skill wires, IMHO.

First Post!

Zolhex
As we now have new books available I have new and old players asking questions as to what's useable for Shadowrun Missions most of which you have covered.

But I have a question we have cyberware and bioware cyber is cyber bio is bio which you have covered.

If you get 2 points bio and 1.9 points cyber the cyber is halved flip it around and the bio would get halved it all goes off of the rule of which ever is gerater again which you have covered.

So now we come to the shiny new book Augmentation which has genetic and transgenetic modifications and nanite modifications.

As I understand it gene stuff is considered bio when doing the math for essance and nano is cyber when doing the math for essance is this correct?

Also are gene and/or nano subject to the rules of grades I.E. normal second hand alpha beta delta?

Just some thoughts.
Fortune
Not an official Missions Dudeâ„¢, but the canon rules are ...

QUOTE (Casazil)
As I understand it gene stuff is considered bio when doing the math for essance and nano is cyber when doing the math for essance is this correct?

Yep. Note that it's only the nano-cyberware actually costs Essence, not the nanites themselves.

Also are gene and/or nano subject to the rules of grades I.E. normal second hand alpha beta delta?

Geneware is never subject to Grades, and cannot be acquired 'used', which is technically not a Grade. Nano-cyberware (but not nanites themselves) fall under the normal Grade system though.
paws2sky
Is there a current FAQ for people wanting to build SRM characters?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Mar 10 2008, 09:05 AM) *
Is there a current FAQ for people wanting to build SRM characters?

No FAQ per se.

Standard build rules, almost all the released material is allowed, read this thread for some answers to some questions.

Shadowrun Missions
the_dunner
Well, there is the FAQ posted on the shadowrun4.com web site under the Missions Header. smile.gif
Zolhex
Ok so we have errata for Street Magic and I saw this:

“Adept Initiation. Groups may consider allowing adepts
to gain 1 Power Point instead of a Metamagic at Initiation.�

So is this going to be allowed in SRM's?

I ask cause I know I'll be asked at the next event I run more than likely.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Casazil @ Mar 21 2008, 01:19 PM) *
“Adept Initiation. Groups may consider allowing adepts
to gain 1 Power Point instead of a Metamagic at Initiation.�

So is this going to be allowed in SRM's?

That's a note under the "Tweaking the Rules" section. SRM does not use that section.
Zolhex
Ok with the new news just released I have to ask.................. Are we allowed to make dragons as PC's for Shadowrun Missions?
Cadmus
what new news?
Cain
This new news.

And while I'm not the Dunner: assuming that this isn't a late April Fool's joke, I believe that the entirety of Runners Companion is meant to be optional rules. SRM does not run with any optional or house rules, which should rule that out.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 3 2008, 03:42 AM) *
This new news.

And while I'm not the Dunner: assuming that this isn't a late April Fool's joke, I believe that the entirety of Runners Companion is meant to be optional rules. SRM does not run with any optional or house rules, which should rule that out.

Yeah but come on I had to ask, setting the dragons to the side there are however other metavariants and you know people are going to want to use them in SRM's.
Cadmus
QUOTE (Casazil @ Apr 3 2008, 05:00 AM) *
Yeah but come on I had to ask, setting the dragons to the side there are however other metavariants and you know people are going to want to use them in SRM's.

Well after looking at the preview, and you did get to play one um. its a dragon? your the size of a house, and if you use the spell shape change with out masking um agian. your then a Astral billboard walkign around smile.gif you might be built like a tank but what team is going to want you around?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012