Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ruger Thunderbolts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Raygun
QUOTE (Kurb)
Doesn't the rulebook say its a +4 special modifier for the second burst, not a +3? I could be wrong... I believe it is pg.19 of CC IIRC.

Yes, that is what the books say. Unfortunately, that's one of those completely arbitrary rules that is not consistent with the rest of the system. Every other pistol that fires a three-round burst receives a +3 recoil modifier (if it doesn't have some other form of recoil compensation). Other than for the reason of satisfying someone's sense of game balance (totally subjective, mind you) there's no reason why the Thunderbolt, under my definition, should be treated any differently than any other pistol when it comes to recoil modifiers. +1 per round.

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Nice work on the T-bolt on your site, Ray.

I have a question, though. Your picture seems to have a magazine well and release. It's obviously not needed in a metalstorm action.

Are those nonfunctional, and just there because Ruger is basing the T-bolt frame off another pistol frame?

Perhaps that is the storage place for a second set of ammo tubes.

My idea of it is that the Thunderbolt is based off of an existing frame, which would defer some production costs, although at some point the production line has to split to accomodate each model of pistol (fairly early on because the frame has to be machined differently). The picture is just a doctored Ruger KP90D.

The "magazine" is still there because the Thunderbolt is an electronic pistol. That space is no longer used to store ammunition, but instead the batteries that power the pistol. In my mind, the battery pack only occupies a little more than half of the mag well, while the electronics occupy the rest. Battery packs can be changed in the same manner that you'd change a conventional ammunition magazine.

The lever above the pistol grip is multi-functional. It acts as both a manual safety and as the latch that unlocks the action for reloading. When that lever is tripped, the rear of the barrel block (the stainless steel part of the pistol) slides upward under spring pressure and is hinged at the muzzle (the black circle near the muzzle). This allows access to both of the over/under chambers. Ammo stacks are placed in each chamber and the action is closed. At that point, the pistol is ready to roll. Needless to say, it's not particularly easy to reload quickly, but that's just a downside to Metalstorm.

In this picture, there are also integral ports (gas vents) drilled directly into each muzzle of the barrel block. Another effective form of recoil compensation on a pistol like this is to allow the entire barrel block to reciprocate on top of the frame, similar to a conventional semi-automatic pistol. At 90,000 rpm, that would easily delay the effects of recoil long enough for all bullets to clear the muzzle.
El_Machinae
What do you mean, arbitrary?

If you fire a single shot, and then a three-round burst, the recoil modifiers would be +0/+4, wouldn't they?

So the "special recoil compensation" from the T-bolt makes the first burst act like a single shot, when it comes to recoil.

PS: My GM has the rulebook at his place. Is the text 100% clear that the T-bolt fires a three round burst? I remember that the text was vague.
Raygun
There are two ways I handle this, depending on how many complaints there are.

A) You get to deal with a +6 recoil modifier on the second burst (3+3; there's no way that the recoil from 3 rounds in 0.002 seconds is going to come out feeling like one round), or
B) Recoil does not affect the shooter until after the entire burst is fired on every action, meaning that the second burst of a Phase is either 1) carried over to the next Phase, or 2) considered absorbed during the time between Phases.
BitBasher
Or, since this gun has no recoil, give it a gas vent IV, and underbarrel weight and a custom grip. POW no recoil at all. And your cops get scarier. Also give the gun SA mode because BF only is absolutely retarded.
Ed_209a
Since your T-bolt is (understandibly) DAO, why not use that heavy trigger pull to operate a piezo mechanism like in some disposable lighters.

You use a watch battery to run the electronics forever, and then the piezo to actually fire the gun. I guess the piezo would have to be strong enough to fire 3 rounds to work on burst.
Siege
This discussion makes me wonder about the "autofire selector" someone posted a while back.

Just how the hell does that work?

-Siege
Arethusa
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Since your T-bolt is (understandibly) DAO, why not use that heavy trigger pull to operate a piezo mechanism like in some disposable lighters.

You use a watch battery to run the electronics forever, and then the piezo to actually fire the gun. I guess the piezo would have to be strong enough to fire 3 rounds to work on burst.

That's exactly the problem: it's unlikely the electricity generated from a single trigger pull would be enough for 12 rounds on full auto.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Ed_209a)

That's exactly the problem: it's unlikely the electricity generated from a single trigger pull would be enough for 12 rounds on full auto.

And then there's the issue of having a quick, field-expedient way of replacing the piezo which would reside inside the trigger mechanism, should it fail. It's a two-second operation to change a battery pack that will last for literally thousands of rounds.

QUOTE (Siege)
This discussion makes me wonder about the "autofire selector" someone posted a while back.

Just how the hell does that work?

Here's the patent. It's specifically for Glock pistols.
Phasma Felis
PS: My GM has the rulebook at his place. Is the text 100% clear that the T-bolt fires a three round burst? I remember that the text was vague.

Cannon Companion doesn't specifically say that the Thunderbolt fires three rounds per burst. However, since the BBB specifically defines "burst-fire mode" as a three-round burst (pg115), and since the only weapons that violate that rule (the HV series) explicitly say so in their descriptions, it's reasonable to assume that the Thunderbolt is the same.
Raygun
The Lone Star sourcebook specifically says that "The Thunderbolt heavy pistol has only one setting, which is burst-fire; one squeeze of the trigger fires three rounds." Actually, it says it several times. Page 116.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012