Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Drawings.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mintcar)
You can propably get scans done at any copy shop or photo store. Off course it's cheaper if you know someone with a scanner.

I use http://www.photobucket.com for hosting my images.

So what are the best formats to download? I usually do things in adobe PDF.
mintcar
If it's only pictures, 72 dpi .gif or .jpg. If you have Photoshop 7 or later, use the "save for web" option to minimize the size. You can't host files like pdf's on the sites you were recomended, they're only for pictures.
Kyoto Kid
Thanks,

I believe Paint does support both .gif & jpeg images. Don't know if it has a scan function though.

Photoshop is just a bit too spendy (last I recall about $600 - $800)
TinkerGnome
Scanners generally have some sort of scanning software with them. As for photoshop-like software, you could always bring out the GIMP. It's free and has a lot of features, though it's not quite photoshop.
Akimbo
Before I was into that whole pirating craze, I used The GIMP for my illustrations, manipulation, homework, etc. It's an excellent piece of software that can do some things that Photoshop can't. Personally, I still enjoy using Photoshop. It's something I'm accustomed to.
Arethusa
Unfortunately, Photoshop also does a lot of things GIMP can't. They're both good, and I really like to support open source, but I really do prefer Photoshop.

I had a similar experience with OO.o. I wanted to support it over Office, but by 2.0, OO.o was every bit as slow and bloated and far less robust. I still don't know what a mail merge is and I never will care, but at least Office can let me create a horizontal line of variable width.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Unfortunately, Photoshop also does a lot of things GIMP can't.

Yeah, but Photoshop is what, $650 dollars? Not everyone is comfortable with piracy.
Akimbo
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Yeah, but Photoshop is what, $650 dollars? Not everyone is comfortable with piracy.

And you shouldn't be comfortable with piracy.
ARKARY
QUOTE (Akimbo)

But that's the shadowrunner way to obtain software silly.gif

Another possible alternative (and what I personally use) is Paint Shop Pro. It has the majority of the advanced features of Photoshop, and can be found for around $129 or so.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Akimbo)
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Mar 5 2006, 07:30 PM)
Yeah, but Photoshop is what, $650 dollars?  Not everyone is comfortable with piracy.

Funny, considering Adobe is comfortable with piracy.
Akimbo
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Funny, considering Adobe is comfortable with piracy.

Actually, yeah. They said that the reason they continue to increase the prive of their software is due to piracy. In the end, they are making roughly the same amount of money.
Arethusa
Which is bullshit. It's well known that they tacitly have supported the mass piracy of their software because the people pirating it were never going to buy it anyway, and when those millions of kids grow up and become graphic designers and support the industry that does buy their software, they only stand to gain.
Akimbo
It's really unfortunate too. Adobe can really get away with a lot of crap. Quite frankly, they can choke for all I care.
mintcar
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Which is bullshit. It's well known that they tacitly have supported the mass piracy of their software because the people pirating it were never going to buy it anyway, and when those millions of kids grow up and become graphic designers and support the industry that does buy their software, they only stand to gain.

This is entirely true. The reason Photoshop has such a dominating possition in the market is because everyone has the program for free and learns how to use it. The only people who can afford to buy it is the proffesionals anyway.
Platinum
Actually this is not the case. The reason that Photoshop still dominates is because the print market use it. Back in the day, print shops used macs. Coreldraw always has been a much better program than adobe illustrator, came out after the print shops were all using macs at that point so no one switched. (brainless sheep) Anyhow, since business hate to change infrastructures, they stayed with Adobe photoshop, illustrator, and that terrible beast of a program Quark Express. (I do not know anyone that actually likes quark, but it is what everyone uses.) Photoshop dominates, just like microsoft dominates, (they have been around, pretty much everyone has used it, it does a check of a lot of stuff, and there are a tonne of programs[in this case plugins])
mintcar
That sounds right. I take back my statement, but I still agree with:
QUOTE (Arethusa)
It's well known that they tacitly have supported the mass piracy of their software because the people pirating it were never going to buy it anyway, and when those millions of kids grow up and become graphic designers and support the industry that does buy their software, they only stand to gain.
BishopMcQ
I'm just popping my head in here to thank Squinky for his contributions to the Shadowrun Missions. Missions players will now get some great art on their contact sheets done by Squinky.

Thanks!
Squinky
Thanks Mcquilan! It's been a real blast doing working with you guys on missions, I am just grateful for the opportunity. You guys are doing some good stuff over there.

Update on the remaining art:

Well, I lost my internet for awhile, but am back and plan on wrapping these last four up this weekend. I have the character vincent mostly inked up, have had him for a while, and have a good start on Akimbo sketches. Then its just doing up Frackula's character and I'll get on to leela again....These are my plans, and I really plan to stick to them, so if I don't you can give me crap, heh.

As always, the thread is open for more requests and other artists to throw up their version. I'll be gone this weekend and hope to come back with the art for all the patient people who have been waiting, and would love to see more requests.

Thanks all.

mmu1
QUOTE (Platinum)
Coreldraw always has been a much better program than adobe illustrator, came out after the print shops were all using macs at that point so no one switched. (brainless sheep)

Hey, I remember Corel... My dad and my uncle used to (before my family moved to the US from Poland) use it for desktop publishing work. Eastern Europe was a PC stronghold - no-name IBM clones were expensive enough without paying three or four times as much for a Mac...
Kyoto Kid
Good to see you back.

Was wondering what happened.

Looking to get scans from my "Rogues Gallery" posted this coming week. Unfortunately most of it's in pencil (my hand is too unsteady for inking anymore) which usually doesn't scan very well.

Most of the stuff I have is D&D but there are a few of my early SR (SR2) characters including my namesake "KK".

Fresno Bob
If anyone wants to, they can draw my character Aziz, a human middle eastern Street Samurai.

He's 1.95m (6'4"), and about 200 pounds. He has coarse black hair, which he keeps trimmed short, except for a patch on top he keeps wrapped into a topknot with a red ribbon. He has dark green eyes, and his skin is dark tan.

He usually dresses in either jeans or leather pants, tucked into steeltoed engineer boots. He has a dozen or so t-shirts in various stages of decay that he rotates on a random basis. He also always wears his leather or armored jacket, both styled as front zip leather motorcycle racing jackets. He wears a necklace with a dented bullet casing on it

His weapon of choice is an ornate katana from the 13th century.
Kyoto Kid
What race?

Also, being from the middle east, I would think the weapon if choice would be a Scimitar as opposed to a Katana.
Fresno Bob
You would think.

And he's human.
Valentinew
If you're still doing sketches, I'd like one please.

Character named Zip, full-blood Cherokee, 18 year old human girl, technomancer, no cyber. She hasn't cut her hair, 'cause her mom liked it long. She fascinated by dragons, but not in a cult-like way. She lived on the street scraping by for about a year before she found a place to take her in, so she's still a little scruffy. Her persona is a cartoon badger wearing a backwards KC Brigade baseball cap. She also carries (& can use) a Remington 990. She spends most of her time in the Matrix & is easily distracted when in the "real world."

I hope that more than covers a description. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Piecemeal
here's something you can put your skills to if you have the time or inclination.

Character: Jamie Shiro. "Maru"
Race: Human

physicals- His Asian complexion does little to hide the smudges of dirt and grime; well worn marks of a lifestyle that only a day-long proper bath and a gallon of liquid soap might erase. Dark circles borne from harried nights of sleep ring his eyes, almond shaped eyes that harbor little but contempt for the world. Matted and dingy locks of black hair play havoc with conformity; ratted ends falling an inch short of his shoulders. Should he dare go without his usual layers of clothing, he would appear surprisingly fit however teetering on the borderline of thin, considering his calibre of daily nutrition.

apparel- A stormcloud gray T-shirt logoed “ABSOLUTION” in gothic print across the chest hangs loosely over a black longsleeved shirt that seems almost one size too large as the cuffs bunch up and overlap the pair of well worn black gloves he's almost never without. Torn and frayed baggy olive drag fatigue style pants hang at his hips, secured by a thick black leather belt that bears the weathered marks of age. The worn down tread of scuffed jungle boots mark his path in the world.

i am very interested to see your interpretation of this.
Squinky
Okay, finally did up Akimbo!

Sorry for being such a lazy ass, I'll try to get these caught up here soon.
Akimbo

Background was rushed, besides that, hope ya like it Akimbo, sorry you had to wait forever, heh.
eidolon
It's official. That's the best one yet! Nice job dude.

And no worries. It's hard to be "behind" on something you're doing for free. smile.gif
HMHVV Hunter
Ooooh! Can I put a vote in to be next in line?

I think it'd be cool if you could draw my username namesake, Helios.

Here's a description:

Vampire hunter adept. In his early-20s, but visage has been hardened by over five years of fighting the undead (since he was 16 years old). Black hair, brown eyes, human, about 6'3". Has his own custom gun (a bullpup assault rifle with a shortened barrel, grenade launcher and dual side-by-side clips). Carries a katana on his back and a Manhunter as a backup weapon as well. Tends to wear an undersuit of form-fitting body armor, with an armor jacket over it. Besides his armor, also favors jeans and black clothing, including a black trenchcoat. Face should convey intensity, with a touch of haunted-ness to it - somebody that's seen a lot of death, both of the innocent and the evil, and yet continues on in the line of work that makes him see it (see "The Punisher" (the Thomas Jane version from 2004) for something of an idea of what I'm talking about)

If there's anything else, just ask smile.gif
FanGirl
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me, pretty please! biggrin.gif

Fangirl--AKA Fanny--is 19 years old, of average height and somewhat slender build (Body 3, Strength 2). She sports long, light orange hair worn in pigtails on either side of her face, which happens to be frickin' adorable. She wears the style of clothing typically worn by most members of her demographic group, except for her long lined coat, which she usually wears unbuttoned. She also carries a large black backpack that contains a variety of useful items. She's a TM, so you might put a computery slogan or logo on her shirt--perhaps something like GIRL 2.0.

EDIT: I should point out that I don't see the pigtails as being braided.
EDIT2: She's human, too. I probably should have mentioned that earlier. smile.gif
EDIT3: Someone PM'ed me this suggestion:
i might suggest Mainframe in an advanced Joycircuit font.. or hell.. even Joycircuit for that matter. both have dual meaning and plenty of intersocial connotations to them.

You may choose to work it in, or you may choose not to.
Kremlin KOA
Damn, that's one of my Exes
SL James
One of my PCs

It was kind of a rush job. I only spent about 90 minutes on it last night, so I still need to fix some angles, shadows, and the upper lip.
Rastus
I'd really like to see a drawing of my Ex-ganger Lieutenant gone Street Samurai, Jack.

He's a 20-year-old african-american Ork standing at around 7 feet even with a strong, muscular build(7 Body and Strength, go figure) and tattoo's that cover his biceps but stop just after his elbows. He has close-cropped black hair and a close-shaven beard. Lately he wears an armored black fatigue jacket, keeping the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and leaving it unbuttoned to show off his lucky Punisher shirt(the faded Thomas Jane verson, originally intended as a joke, but ended up sticking with it) along with that he also wears urban camo pants and steel-toe work boots. His trademark weapons are a shiny chrome Ares Predator and a heavily modified AK-97(Vent, smartlink, bipod, the works). He often uses his large build to intimidate others and tends to look at some people with defiance, he's also a bit hardened and jaded from all the things he's seen and done as a ganger.

Thanks in advance, and if you need any more details just ask. smile.gif
Goliath
Wow awsome work, if you have time can you try this one.

17 Ork Male Ganger/hacker

Hes not very big for an ork and not very musculer either. He dresses in Goblin Rock band T- shirts and Blue Jeans. He wears his hair long and shoulder length. Hes Spends allot of time in the matrix so this can cause him to have dark rings under his eyes from lack of sleep.

I dont know what else I can add. He has his reguler eyes no cyber eyes yet, the only peice of cyberwear he has is a dattajack. (gangers are poor)

Thanks
Goliath
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Squinky)
Okay, finally did up Akimbo!

Akimbo

Background was rushed, besides that, hope ya like it Akimbo, sorry you had to wait forever, heh.

...love the sticker on the crate behind her. Nice shameless plug.

Any chance I might see the revised Leela?

Also been toying with sending you the details on my namesake Kyoto Kid.
Kyoto Kid
Kyoto Kid (revised)

Race: Human
Height 4' 10"
Build, Very Athletic
Hair: White, very thick, wears it long and either tied back into single fall or braid
Eyes: Blue
Basic Appearance: Japanese (had cosmetic surgery)

Distinguishing marks: Usually wears Kabuki makeup, has a red sun (from the Japanese flag) painted around her right eye. Also has a full back tattoo of a lily done in classic Japanese style. Has small cresting wave tattoo on above left breast (Tsunami Sisters symbol - see below)

Member of Tsunami Sisters Adept group (wears their colours - almost a gang in a sense)

Background: Kyoto (Kelly Rourke) is one of a set of twin daughters born to an elven couple - her sister is an elf she is human. Her parents are high up on the TT social ladder (Father is a Duke, Mother is a Countess) & she grew up in Salem (1% human population). Consequently Kelly endured a lot of prejudice from the other kids both elven (because of her race) and Human/other Meta (because of her social standing and family). At 12 years old she ran away to Portland & ended up in the child skin trade for several months until meeting up with a group of runners who were associated with one of the local Rinelle cells. Her family had stopped looking for her, after she was declared dead when the body of a young girl matching her description was found mauled to death by a critter attack. Hence, Kelly is truly SINless. The runner group managed to get her out of the Tir and to Seattle after it was discovered someone wanted her kept quiet permanently. She currently lives in the U district with an Occult Investigator who decided to take her in.

Between the ages of 15 - 17, Kelly spent time perfecting her skills at a Dojo in Kyoto Japan (where she gets her name) and is extremely fluent in the Japanese and very knowledgable in Japanese culture.

She is a very polite and proper young lady who has a strong sense of honour.

She loves old 20th century westerns (yes, she has several Stetsons) and loves playing the "cowgirl" even though she is of British descent.

She is very intuitive, but a bit slow when it comes to raw intellect (a character disability)

She is definitely on the "Fashion Police" hit list for how she dresses.

Weapons of choice: Daisho set - Katana (weapon focus) and Wakasashi, two Ruger Super Warhawks (she has Ambidexterity & fires them in alternating fashion ala Doc Holladay)

Likes sports including, Gymnastics (which she is really good at), Rollerblading, & Skateboarding .

Dislikes: Elves, (most, save for the very very few who actually treated her well) people who mistreat and abuse children.
Squinky
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 21 2006, 11:32 AM)

...love the sticker on the crate behind her.  Nice shameless plug.

Any chance I might see the revised Leela?

Heh yeah, I had a cheesy moment.

I have a list (which I need to update) on the first post of this thread listing who's next. Looks like Leela is after Vincent and another one, then it'll be here. I got off work early today, so I'm gonna try to play some more catch up.

Sl James: Good pencil work! I like it, it has a good feel to it. I'd like to see it wheen you finish it up.

Edit------

Woop, heres Vincent:
Calvin Hobbe's Vincent

If it matters, I was almost done with this guy previously, had him almost done, then he disapeared, heh. Anyway, here is the original sketch:
Vincent Sketch
Calvin Hobbes
That is super awesome. You win the internet!
SL James
QUOTE (Squinky)
Sl James: Good pencil work! I like it, it has a good feel to it. I'd like to see it wheen you finish it up.

Thanks. I'm pretty impressed for not having drawn for 12 years until a couple days ago. The one before that wasn't as good, but apparently drawing is like riding a bicycle.
mintcar
SL James: Yes it is. And like you I find that it takes approximatly one (usually horribly) failed attempt to get the ability back after a lengthy break. Good job with the drawing by the way.
Kyoto Kid
Addendum to Kyoto Kid...

Straw Man
I've always wanted someone with some skill to attempt a drawing of a character I built for an online SR game. Kudos to you if you can pull it off smile.gif

Punchen Judas

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Once, long ago, this might have been called a man. However, time and turmoil have made him into something far more and so much less than he was. He is bigger than any man has a right to be. Nearly 8 feet tall, broad of shoulder and long of limb, his mass alone is an imposing prospect to be faced with for most. The shadow cast by the eldest of the Judas Clan is long, figuratively and literally. But size isn't everything, as they say.

Punchen's skull is a slick, glossy black steel, polished only occasionally. There is a baseball-bat-shaped dent in the frontal plate of the cyberskull, and deep, ragged grooves, looking like nothing so much as the claw marks of some vicious animal, run from his forehead to his chin. Somewhere in between, a pair of extremely expensive, almost-too-human cybereyes stare out, glowing a faint phosphorescent blue, contrasting starkly with the dark, battered face. Beneath this, an air mask is clipped to catches built into the man's face. The mask is fresh, recently replaced, and it's rubberized body cleaves tightly to what's left of the big man's head, as if afraid it might deteriorarte further. A small speaker is situated in the front of the mask, and some trick of electronic wizardry picks up his normally hissing, throaty voice and synthesizes into something that is almost, but not quite, completely inhuman.

He has hands once more. Sleek chrome and black, with blood red vein and muculature effects to heighten their strangeness. They were never designed to be confused with human appendages. The fingers are lithe, long, and the hands themselves incredibly dextrous, jagged and unyielding, spiderous things with an additional joint built into each finger.

The first line of protection is a Form Fitting Half-Body Suit, visible at the cuffs and collar of the big ork's outerwear, kevlar in matte blue that doesn't exactly draw the eye, but does confirm the presence of it's protection visually. The soft creak of the vinyl outer layer is audible when he moves, if you can make it out over the other sounds of his passage

Over this, the big man is clad in sleek, black, rubber, ceramic, and kevlar Securetech gear. The close-fitting gear specifically built for his frame, it seems, holding it's heavy armored plating taut to his broad chest, the lycra-mesh webbing between the armored segments pulled tight over muscle and sinew, showing that the ork is far from out of shape, and hardly the hunched and wasted figure he once appeared to be.

The ubiquitous length of the Securetech Long Coat, a dark green in color, drapes from his broad shoulders. Heavy pvc ribbing and graphite fasteners ensure that it maintains a fairly constant shape, and yet the heavily oiled outerwear does not creak or groan as the big man moves. Perhaps it feels outdone by it's owner.

On his feet, a pair of steel toed boots punish the flooring with their weight and unyielding stiffness. The boots have 1/4" steel plates from toe to calf, almost up to the knee, each one polished to a dull gleam. The boots are anchored in place by a pair of Rainbow Shoelaces. that are tied tightly, and fuzzy purple socks peek proudly over the lip of the waffle stompers.

Given the nature of his acoutrements, it's hard to tell what sort of emotions he's feeling. It's a safe bet, you estimate, that he's not jolly.
Piecemeal
Punch and Judy.

hahahaha

LOVE IT
Squinky
Frackula's Gina

Edit---Sorry for posting without any dialog, just was a little hurried at the time.
Leah_Arkady
If you'd be willing to do mine (also my username namesake biggrin.gif), I'd be thrilled.

Name: Leah Arkady
Race: Human (Caucasian, with some Middle Eastern heritage)
Build: very athletic, 5'11"
Aspected mage (sorcerer)

Leah has short, badly cut, dyed blue spiky hair and brown eyes. She is extremely fit and quite bright, but not a very charming person. Her base expression is "uninterested or annoyed".

She has several tattoos on her body, including a Tree of Life that takes up her entire back and part of her neck, a bar code on her left bicep, and an ambigram of earthairfirewater (image here, second one down) just below her collarbone.

She's usually invisible except when around her team, so she tends not to dress particularly stylishly, as she is not trying to impress anyone. Khakis, t-shirts, Smart Shades and a biker jacket make up her usual wardrobe. On the other hand, she's a huge fan of Troll Thrash Metal (much to the chagrin of her totally non-troll team), so if that could be incorporated in some way, awesome. smile.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (Squinky @ Apr 20 2006, 11:21 PM)

Squinky is far to modest to point out that I've also been repeatedly jumping in line, to have him do artwork for Missions. biggrin.gif

Once again -- he does great work! You can check out more of it in the handouts downloads for the first two missions on the srrpg.com website. He's also done contact artwork for the 3rd and 4th adventures. (Which'll be up on the website in May and June respectively.)
Squinky
Thanks "The_Dunner"! You guys are great to work with and I have to point out that my contribution is a drop in the bucket compared to the work you and the authors are creating.

Anyways, I have done up the revised Leela, here she is:
Leela redone

I like it, and hope it caught the feel of the character. Again, I felt like she could have looked a little younger, but it didn't work out (I was considering giving her a "cuter" nose, but felt I needed to accentuate her slim face instead, hope it worked out).

Kyoto Kid
...she is such a leetle dahlink is she, nyet?

[my clumsy attempt at a Slavic accent]

Beautiful job. You caught the setting and the character perfectly. She still does have that cute teenager look, Do you also have the pencil sketch?

You caught her underlying air of grace (she did after all come from an important Croatian family) which shows through the rag tag resistance fighter exterior.

Yes, she is basically trapped in a child's body, but she still is a professional at what she does (and does it with style). You want a transmission tower, bridge, or ammo dump blown up? she's your number one girl.

I'm not at a station where I can print, so when I get back home, I will definitely dash off a copy.

Again:
Thanks much, for the extra effort.

Sometime I'll finally get off my duff & get some of the pictures I've done in the past scanned & uploaded.

Squinky
Excellent! Glad you liked it, and I'd love to see your illustrations.
Daegann
Hi all,

Kenshi and Superspy has done a draw of one of my character : Jia other artists have also draw this character. You can see them here : http://daegann.free.fr/fanart/jia.php

Anyway, I'm always looking for other draw of this character so if someone is motivated this is the description.

Jia :
This korean girl is a former SWAT in the korean Police in 2066, her main skills are for tactical operation (she is good at stealth, pistol, automatics, athletics). She have no obvious cyberware she is a mystic adept but she is not a magical support, magic is not her main skills and her magical knowledge is limited. In the life, She's pretty active and enjoy the life (at less it's her main visible mood) she is also a MMORPG addict.. That's to give you an idea of her background.
Physically, her height is standard and she's athletics but still feminine. Her haire are black (or black/blue dark) short but not too short ^^;; She wear often cutting edge smart-sunglasses. About her clothes, she wear many things from military pants (sorry I don't know the word in english) with short sleeved or skirt and other things. In operation she wears generally a renforced black military pant with black kevlar protection and hi-tech smartglasses plus a eventualy a weapon (an assaut rifle and/or a pistol).

That's all. If anyone want to draw it, I can give additional detail and also some picture for inspiration.
I hope someone would like to draw this character ^^

- Daegann -
hyzmarca
DL - shot for Dandilion Lover due to his unique affection for elves. He is an adept with the highly specialized Improved Combat Ability: Elves

A unusually large troll biker with a broken left tusk and a [heart] MOM tatoo on his right shoulder and I [heart] LUV Elves on his neck . He usually wears a studen leather jacket with bright crome chains wraped around his forearms. An an elf in a gimp suit in slung across his back like a claymore ready for battle.

He can be a mean sum-beach if you get on his bad side, which is prety much both sides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012