Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A matter of posting on topic...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
I am resurrecting this poll, for there have been many like it in the past, as a guide to the newer members and reminder to the older ones. I place myself in both categories.

After all this is a public forum, the majority of the SR community who benefit from it don't post/are members, so lets aim to be relevant and inspiring.

Dumpshock has come a long way (in the seven and some years since I encountered it) and I am sure we all appreciate the general mood, hopefully it can continue and perhapes improve.

Thank for your participation.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Phys-Ad.
DocMortand
I had to vote for one of the lines.

Never, ever seperate poll questions with lines.

Normally I read completely through before replying. *shrug*
stevebugge
Didn't vote, because honestly my approch changes dependent on the length of the thread and when and where I am posting from. 1-5 posts I'll read carefully, 6-20 I'll read, skim, read the last and post. 2-3 pages I'll porbably just read the last 3-5 posts and answer from there. 4 or more pages and I may not even look at the thread much less try to post in it, with one notable exception being the Holy Scriptures of The Drop Bear Conspiracy.
DocMortand
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Didn't vote, because honestly my approch changes dependent on the length of the thread and when and where I am posting from. 1-5 posts I'll read carefully, 6-20 I'll read, skim, read the last and post. 2-3 pages I'll porbably just read the last 3-5 posts and answer from there. 4 or more pages and I may not even look at the thread much less try to post in it, with one notable exception being the Holy Scriptures of The Drop Bear Conspiracy.

Gah-good point - if you're a newbie, and you enter the Drop Bear thread, you MUST read all the way through once so your brain can bleed from your ears. THEN respond. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Unless something in the middle of a thread really grabs me by the throat and screams "reply to me!", I make it a point never to post in a thread I haven't read entirely. As a result, I tend to end up not reading threads that are longer than about forty posts by the time I first see them.

~J
Calvin Hobbes
I voted line. It was the least biased of the possible answers.

FOREGO YOUR LIMITED FORUM UNDERSTANDING.

A: Because it breaks the logical causality between question and answer.
Q: Why is blog posting bad?

Phys Ad that can cast sorcery.
FrankTrollman
Physads with Sorcery are worse than street sams or adepts. You spend points on being crappy at spellcasting, and end up with a character who is neither gooc at magic nor at ass-kicking.

Personally, I've always found Street Samurai to be better than Adepts whether the game is long or short. The adept has theoretically unlimited expansion potential, but even characters of mine played for multiple editions never managed to hit the extensibility wall of the street sam hard enough for the adept to catch up. There's a lot you can do with Beta Grade Cyber.

-Frank
Blaze
*Laughs* I think that's the fastest I've ever seen a thread go off-topic, here or anywhere else.

On the question in hand, I've voted option-1. I've been around here about five or six years now, and the vast majority of the time I only post when I feel I have something valuable to advance to the discussion, a new idea that I would like honest and objective feedback on, or a question I would like a well-thought-out answer to. If I'm lucky, sometimes I get what I'm after. wink.gif I've no interest in debating whether adepts or street samurai prod more buttock than the other- in either case the choice is secondary to the construction of the psyche, history and consciousness of a character. You can do some sick and wrong things with either (gods know I have done in the past), but for me the biggest question is not magic or wetware, it's whether you build the character's personality first, or his/her stats. I find the former provides a more entertaining RP experience, but your mileage may vary.

I get the feeling I may have taken this even further OT- sorry, Pendaric...

-JH.
MK Ultra
1 or 2 mostly

Have to second Blaze on the off-topic discussion, though I often start the process by visualizing the upcoming pc (not its stats).
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Blaze)
You can do some sick and wrong things with either (gods know I have done in the past), but for me the biggest question is not magic or wetware, it's whether you build the character's personality first, or his/her stats. I find the former provides a more entertaining RP experience, but your mileage may vary.

Maybe you're better at conceptualizing in tune to the SR3 ruleset than I am. I always find that the characters I've come up with a full personality for first end up being played weakly, because I inevitably have to make sacrifices to build the character according to the rules and in a way that will be fun to play (remember kids, crippling flaws are only fun in stories where you can write around them at dramatically appropriate moments). On the other hand, the characters where I do most of the numbers first take on a life of their own.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Well, I think that physads are better for a number of reasons. Bear in mind that I haven't touched SR4, so I'm talking about SR3.

1.) They're a lot easier to create at chargen. I can whip up a physad very quickly, whereas making a sammie is usually a lot slower because you have to purchase more 'ware with highly detailed and variable prices.

I realize that this dosen't impact in-game power, but personally I think it's worth a lot if I can make a new character quickly. Like, let's say my character I've been using in a campaign dies, and I need to make a new one. Am I going to waste a few hours making an ultimate sammie, or am I going to whip up a new physad and get back into the action?

This is one aspect of the physad that I think is a positive aspect, but which hasn't been brought up that much.

2.) Next, I'll just reahash the old argument that the physad, through theoretically unlimited initiation, is a better long term choice than the sammie, who faces diminishing returns due to his Essence.
Brahm
Yes.
Brahm
I hate those dashed lines.
eidolon
Combo of one and two, depending on the thread/topic.

Depends on the karma level at start of game. A lot? Physad all the way. None? Whichever fits the team better.
fistandantilus4.0
perhaps the thread wouldn't have drifted if Frank head read the whole topic and all the replies carefully, then thought out and carefully type , cross-referenced, and spell checked his reply. biggrin.gif

In general, I try to read through everything , then go back to the points that caught my attention the most, where I wanted to make a reply. That way I don't have to waste time posting, then going back and editing my post to include "Oops, Jray already said that.", and feel like a dope. But hey, some times you feel like a dope...
PiXeL01
Looks like the dots are in a good second place at the moment. I did vote for number two though ...

And on the half rerailing .. I prefer Street Sams. To me they seem easier to compile into something you like faster than a PhysAd. I havent played an adept after SotA64 so ...
Critias
----------------------- for the win.
Brahm
The -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I voted for is in 2nd to last place, just ahead of #4. frown.gif Now I really hate them.
Pendaric
And history repeats itself. Or at least rhymes.
Any bets on the line to win? 2:1 on line 1.....
Dog
I try to take a look at who's posting. There are a certain few names, that if I see them every second or third post, I know it's probably just "nuh uh!" and "uh huh!" so I skip it.
nick012000
Line #1 for teh win. biggrin.gif
nezumi
I like that a quarter of all respondents voted "-----------------------" It's like swordfish mustardball, but longer!
Brahm
Swordfish mustardball?
Critias
*wooooooooooooooosh*

That's the sound a joke makes, flying over Brahm's head.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
perhaps the thread wouldn't have drifted if Frank head read the whole topic and all the replies carefully, then thought out and carefully type , cross-referenced, and spell checked his reply. biggrin.gif

Maybe. I just read the first post and skimmed to the end and read the last post.

-Frank
Brahm
QUOTE (Critias)
*wooooooooooooooosh*

A joke? Is that what those handfuls of brown puttylike material are that you are throwing from the top of that offwhite spire?
Critias
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 3 2006, 12:54 PM)
*wooooooooooooooosh*

A joke? Is that what those handfuls of brown puttylike material are that you are throwing from the top of that offwhite spire?

Jesus Christ, Brahm. Can you disagree with someone without hating their fucking guts and insulting them at every turn? Lighten up.

"Swordfish Mustardball" is a joke. You can read about it about halfway down this page..

Christ. Turn the paranoia-meter down a few notches.
Brahm
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 3 2006, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 3 2006, 12:54 PM)
*wooooooooooooooosh*

Jesus Christ, Brahm. Can you disagree with someone without hating their fucking guts and insulting them at every turn? Lighten up.

"Swordfish Mustardball" is a joke. You can read about it about halfway down this page..

Christ. Turn the paranoia-meter down a few notches.

*wooooooooooooooosh*

Thank you for again being an excellent posting rolemodel.
Critias
Dear Brahm,

I'm very very sorry if I hurt your feelings while ribbing you about missing an in-joke. That happens sometimes on Dumpshock. You may hear about ally spirits having sex, or dikoted flechettes, or dikoted flechettes from a dikoted Ares Viper, or ally spirits having sex while firing dikoted flechettes from a dikoted Ares Viper. In jokes happen, on-line. DS is no exception. "Swordfish Mustardball" has been a joke for most of a year, and I forgot that some people didn't know that. As such, I was razzing you a little.

I apologize for forgetting that -- since we disagree over something in one thread -- we are mortal enemies, and any teasing from me is a mortal insult, to be replied with with serious name calling and poo-flinging. I'll update my Anti-Buddies list accordingly, I guess. Silly me.

Love,
Critias
John Campbell
I carefully read through the entire thread, making mental notes as to my responses to each post, then if there are any that haven't been covered by someone else when I reach the end of the thread, I hit Reply, start typing up a masterful response, get distracted by something shiny, and then either:

... come back three hours later, hit Preview so I can check the progress of the thread in the "Last 10 Posts", discover that someone else has already posted addressing the points I was going to address, and abort the post.

Or:

... come back three days later, hit Preview so I can check the progress of the thread in the "Last 10 Posts", discover that the thread's been totally dead since I read it three days earlier, and abort the post anyway because I figure it's no longer timely.
PBTHHHHT
For the love of... Geez, please keep it civil folks. Brahm, I think you're taking Critias' comment a little too personally about the whoosh, it's explaining that it's a joke. Critias, well... try and uh... hmm... I guess make sure it doesn't sound too kasnippety to the other person.

Remember, even if y'all disagree over something else on another thread, you might be agreeing elsewhere, so try to not have this grudge against specific people if you're disagreeing over stuff. Plus, c'mon do ya really need to have all this angst and anger over posts in a games forum? Simmer down now! Ya hear! nyahnyah.gif

Instead, bow down to the silliness! silly.gif Goooo Drop Bears!'

edit: Oh yeah, if ya get ribbed on, brush it off, and rib right back, good naturedly of course! nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Remember, even if y'all disagree over something else on another thread, you might be agreeing elsewhere, so try to not have this grudge against specific people if you're disagreeing over stuff. Plus, c'mon do ya really need to have all this angst and anger over posts in a games forum? Simmer down now! Ya hear! nyahnyah.gif

That's what I was trying to do.
Platinum
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 3 2006, 02:12 PM)
Remember, even if y'all disagree over something else on another thread, you might be agreeing elsewhere, so try to not have this grudge against specific people if you're disagreeing over stuff.  Plus, c'mon do ya really need to have all this angst and anger over posts in a games forum?  Simmer down now!  Ya hear!  nyahnyah.gif

That's what I was trying to do.

Critias, while I definitely side with you more than Brahm, I have to read each of your posts more than once to try and really accertain what you both mean. Although I find that I am rather aggitated with Brahm, I do realize that he is defending his opinions with the same zeal that you and I do. He just happens to be on the wrong side. spin.gif

If either of you are joking, stick a few smileys in there, it helps a great deal. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012