Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: College
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
September
Would anyone be interested in running a game or two with runners in college? I thought either MIT&M or Georgetown (in DC) could make for interesting settings. This is just a sort of rain check.

Do note that I don't have the resources to GM.
nick012000
It's MIT&T (Michigan Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgy).
BlackHat
Will I probably wouldn't have the time to run such a game - I do like the idea. I thought it would have been fun to play a similar game iwth my RL group a while back (when we were all in college) where we played a bunch fo young SINners in college who starting using their pseudo-shadowrunning skills to do different things aroudn campus (teh decker could fix exam scores, etc). Anyways, I applaud the idea, but I think most poeple willing/able to GM on the forums have ideas of their own.
TinkerGnome
I don't know how well the concept of "runners in college" would work. If the idea was that they'd infiltrated the college for some purpose, that'd probably work, but runners are generally not drawn from people lucky enough to make it into a college.

The runners that did go to college either dropped out or got mixed up in something after they were out that pulled them into the shadows.

A game where the runners start as college students and then, say, get implicated in a murder or something similar that forces them to pull a shadowrun might work. Same for a group caught in Chicago around the time of the lockdown. However, neither of those scenarios has them balancing shadowrunning and college.

I'm not saying that you couldn't have a character that was doing that, but the idea that there's a whole team is a bit odd.

Works a lot better with gangers, though.
Cold-Dragon
It's an amusing idea, but I have to agree with Tinker on this.

Still, it'd be interesting to figure out how you manage it...maybe it's not so much colleged based as it is that everyone is in college. It can be one of those silly pseudo-fraternity things : You gotta help us rob this place or get these drugs or etc.

Chances are if you're in college, you're also at a reduced BP count. Any hints as to restrictions or such you were plotting?
September
Tinker Gnome:
1) I figured most of the charecters would be of the 'I run the shadows because it helps me cut through corporate bulldrek and understand what's really happening' sort. Sure, it's a bit shiny, but college kids could convince themselves of it. Part of the fun would be the chareccters figuring out just how much of the law they were willing to break.

2) I didn't really think the actual running would revolve that much around college, just that the charecters were college kids. Go out, steal this data from that site, come home and study for the test. That kind've flavor.

3) Yeah, being caught in Chicago during the Bug City and the lockdown was on my mind.

Cold Dragon:

1) BP count was something I wasn't sure about. But I figured that 8 might replace 12 for the restriction limit. There'd need to be some juggling to allow deckers - excuse me, hackers - to function without letting relatively novice runners get their hands on plastic explosives.
Cold-Dragon
Well, if people are in college they're almost definitely gonna have SIN, so unless they make or get a fake ID that bomb shopping is limited anyways. I'm betting even dorms have bomb sniffers. wink.gif At least on occassion.

I'm biased, but I wouldn't mind a magical character in this setting, if we decide to do it and all.

ANother thing I just realized, cyberstuff would be harder to do in a college setting insofar as that...which means there's an excellent reason for overiding the concept of one lifestyle at a time so that the dormies can hide their guns off campus. (or other parts).
September
Meh, a Middle Lifestyle for a nice dorm could include a troll-coffin in some nameless hotel.
Cold-Dragon
Well, besides college; got any other ideas?

Can we try Preschool Shadowrunners? nyahnyah.gif

Hehe, sorry. Twas funny in the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012