Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Counterspelling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zen Shooter01
When you use it, is it just Counterspelling, or is it Counterspelling + Magic?
Cold-Dragon
If you read the part on counterspelling in the book, it's pretty specific how it works.

the first clue is that it doesn't include the magic attribute.

the second clue is that it does include a different attribute.

the third clue is you should read the section(s) more carefully if you still can't figure it out. ^-^;
DigitalSoul
@Cold-Dragon: *shakes head and sighs*

@Zen: Yes it is indeed, Counterspelling + Magic, but if you own the book (which I doubt you do or you have Incompetant: Referencing) you could have easily looked it up in the first place.
Cold-Dragon
gah, it is!?

*goes to look it up*

Funny...I thought it was the opposing attribute plus the counterspelling! nyahnyah.gif Or is that for those you protect along with yourself? Damn, I just made a big Crit failure...

Sorry Zen! ^-^; I should read the book!

- - -

I just read the book...and I haven't spotted a spot mentioning using magic with counterspelling. nyahnyah.gif Perhaps you ought to bring out a reference now Digital. I think you mistook it being a magical skill for it acting like a normal skill.

maybe....I'm not gonna stick to it yet.

- - - -

Edit number 2

I solved the mystery: dispelling a sustained effect uses Magic + counterspelling, but regular spell defensing adds the counterspelling to your resistance roll.

So I was half right!
TeOdio
Man ya'll are grumpy today!!!
biggrin.gif
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Cold-Dragon
Well can ya blame me for being a little grumpy? I had a question that was easy, almost got it wrong, and then found it I wasn't wrong, quite! biggrin.gif That's practically a technicality!

And some runners hate the technicals, lol.
FrankTrollman
To cut all the crap:

Counterspelling has two uses. Reactive Counterspelling is just a Skill roll. Hits add to the resistance rolls of every protected compatriot in your LOS unless another character with more Counterspelling skill is also protecting them, in which case your hits are added to their roll (as per Teamwork rules). Active Dispelling is an action to destroy an ongoing spell effect, and it is an opposed Magic + Counterspelling roll.

-Frank
Zen Shooter01
Thank you, Frank. Very concise.
Deadjester
I want to hear more clues.

The repertition was starting to build up a beat that was kind of cool.
Dv84good
someone told me counterspell dice need to be allocated. Can someone clarify this?
DigitalSoul
I believe Frank has said what there is to be said on it. I find nothing else that refutes or adds to his explanation.
mintcar
QUOTE (Dv84good)
someone told me counterspell dice need to be allocated. Can someone clarify this?

No, the dice don't need to be allocated. You only need to say before hand who you protect, and they need to be in your line of sight.
Ryu
Allocation is gone - SR3 did that.

Declaring spell defense for others is a free action, the mage himself is always protected. All are protected by the mages successes on the spell defense roll, no allocation at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012