Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [CMP]Neocron
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
TimeKeeper
Ok, so it's not shadowrun, but it's probably the closest we got right now. I was looking up some info on NWN and this caught my eye since it's close to my other net handle.

Looks interesting. An RPG/Shoot hybrid with the post-apocolypic/cyperpunk flavor.
It's even got a Hacknet computer matrix. (similar to Dystopia/System Shock 1 it looks like)

There's a current 10-day trial available.

Neocron Evolution 2.1

Looks like fun.
Except for that 2GB client DL....

Anyone else try this out or want to?

EDIT: Just downloaded the manual... By Ghost THEY HAVE RIGGERS!!!!
And by definition the characters are called Runners.... hmmmm......
Aku
workig on downloading it now... it says about 10 hours though, so i might not get a chance until tomarrow
TimeKeeper
22% percent done... with 19 hours to go. I started downloading when I posted first time... frown.gif
Aku
i actually had to restart, so now i need to restart the download, i still bet i'll be done before you biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
When did this game launch?
TimeKeeper
Near as I can tell, for a while now. I think it was made the same company that did that "meh" cyberpunk Diablo clone, Restricted Acess.
Aku
65% now for me, from my last post when i started it again.
Backgammon
I'm downloading it too, but won't have time to play it until next week or so.

I cruised the forums... seems interesting, though I'm still wary of paying a monthly fee. Important things I learned though:

1) You should buy the boxed version. It's cheap, and comes with 30 day trial. If you upgrade your 10-day trial account to full account, you will get raped by hidden fees. Good luck finding the game, though.

2) It's not a 10 day free account. YOU have to cancel your subscription after 7 days or they automatically charge you for a month. Watch out for that.
Aku
does anyone else notice that among the professions list, almost all of them are available to spies?
TimeKeeper
Ok, Important Safety Tip Backgammon. Thanks.
Most people tend to forget to cancel before the time period ends.
Aku
oh, thats a good point, but heres a question, as i dont feel like reading legalesse right now, is it "after" 7 days, or "within" 7 days?
TimeKeeper
Technicly, it's anytime before the tens days are up, if you cancel, then that's it.
Aku
and heres a nother question, just how much is it? i just read through the legalesse, and i cant find anywhere it actually spells out how much it costs per month.
Backgammon
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)
Technicly, it's anytime before the tens days are up, if you cancel, then that's it.

Actually, no, 7 days was not a typo on my part... I'm pasting the relevant information from the website:

#  The subscription intervals depend on the mode of payment that you choose. The trial period can be canceled at any time before the 10 days are over. The first interval begins the first day after the free playing time expires, if you did not cancel your account 7 days before the free playing time expires. If you cancel your account 7 days before the free playing time runs out you will not incur any extra costs.
# The subscription interval is always extended by the subscription interval of your initial choice unless you cancel your account at least 7 days before the latest interval runs out.
# You can cancel your account at the Neocron.com and Neocron.de web sites under the 'modify player account' option. In order to cancel the account you need the CD-Key from REAKKTOR.COM that you have used for the activation of your account. If you lost your CD-Key a cancellation is only possible through a fax or a letter that contains the account details because of security reasons. A written cancellation must be personally signed

from terms of services

So like I said, be very careful!

Also, I think I read on the forums that it's 10$US.. maybe, not sure..
Platinum
My friend played this very heavily for about a year. It is in the second phase which opened another city. Apparently you get tired of the campers that kill you as you warp out of a portal as well as the general stupidity and annoying people. (it is supposed to reach new levels of annoyance in this game as compared to other mmorgs) If you get into a clan it is actually interesting. You research new tech, and have people implant your ware for you.
Aku
QUOTE (Platinum)
My friend played this very heavily for about a year. It is in the second phase which opened another city. Apparently you get tired of the campers that kill you as you warp out of a portal as well as the general stupidity and annoying people. (it is supposed to reach new levels of annoyance in this game as compared to other mmorgs) If you get into a clan it is actually interesting. You research new tech, and have people implant your ware for you.

hmm, that kinda puts a clamp on my enthusiasm for even trying it.
TimeKeeper
I guess Aku, this is why we try that 7-10 day free demo...

This is why I hate PvP games.... Fraggin griefers...
Aku
ok, if its a 10 day free trial, but you have t cancel by day 7, what happens to those 2- days? anyone know?
TimeKeeper
usually with a trial, you still get the time, just that after the grace period is up, you have to continue playing.

I'm doing the same with PSO Blue Burst right now. Sign up, then immediately cancel the acount. You'll still get your 10 (or is PSO's case 14) days, but after that, you're done.
Aku
well, i've been playing it all weekend, and it seems to be a mixed bag. The focus seems like it's supposed to be on pvp, but unfortunately the content to get there seems to be very lacking, especially since it's a 3+ year old game.

The best way to level is by doing generic quests, and if you dont have a tradeskill, they seem pretty much to be limited to kill tasks. The people seem to be relatively friendly though. Unforuntately, i'm not so sure about the remaining lifespan of the game, i think when i'm on at around 11 EST, the server is at about 20% (capacity, i assume) The foreign servers are even worse off though
Thanee
Played that for a while. Pretty cool, if you like heavy PvP games, because that's pretty much all there is after a while (I don't, that's why I stopped playing). It's fairly unique in the way, that it combines Ego shooter interface with MMOrpg 'roleplaying'. It's more like an MMOFPS, really.

And before you can do PvP, you need to max out your character, since otherwise you stand no chance at all. And that is a very repetitive and annoying process. Of course, you also need prime equipment, which is very hard to get. Well, you will see that after a while.

Important to know, when you begin... player-built equipment is MUCH better than what you can buy or find (except rare items, which you find in parts and need to let someone else construct (or do it yourself, if you got the right skills)). You should try to have someone build you weapons and stuff appropriate for your level and skills.

Overall, it's a fun game, and for a while at least, there was quite good roleplaying (much better than what I have seen in other games), but eventually the horrible bugs (not sure if they got those in check now, especially the heavy lag and fatal errors), bad balancing and constantly changing everything upside down, and the annoying types, which just play to worsen the experience for others as it seems, and which happen to be rather common there, led to most cool people leaving... well, that didn't really help. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Aku
just for the record, no, they didnt fix the fatal error problem.... multiple times a day i end up getting dropped out thanks tot hat
Platzy
What comes around goes around. cool.gif

I stumbled over that game on the Dumpshock-forums when it was still in Beta (back in 2002).
Fell in love with and been playing it ever since (albeit with some breaks inbetween).
It is far from perfect, but if you can get used to its quirks and find some nice people, you can have lots of fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012