Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Musical com-links.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
30+coyote
So, I am making my first hacker character under SR4. I was thinking, could you not just buy a series of comlink and load programs for data-searching, make one for hacking and one for a firewall and a cheap one that just has IC in it to hide the others behind and then run them in a chain?
Azathfeld
There's no real point to having a commlink that just has IC in it, unless that comm is acting as a chokepoint into your PAN. IC hiding "behind" the other commlinks isn't going to be very useful.

However, it's not a terrible idea to have at least two commlinks if you're going to be a hacker.
Dranem
You intend on running the Commlinks in series? As in only one actually broadcasts? You wouldn't really need IC, but a high ECCM would be good for protection.

The cost may not be worth it.. it's like running around with a cell phone, pda and palmtop all daisy-chained together to to do the functionality of what one multi-purpose device can do.
Teulisch
first, i think its a very good idea to have 2 commlinks- one for work that you keep ghosting, and one for your ID that you keep passive.

having a LOT of commlinks isnt very usefull. i would expect a hacker to have three- his work comm, his agent comm (which can be handed off to a sam to carry to point X if necesary), and his public comm (with fake SIN, and permits).

having a comm with agent (or sprite) that another member of the team can move into position for you is usefull. it lets you be in two places at once. the agent will be limited to rating 4 initialy, so slowing the response down with a number of programs wont hurt him any.

i would advise getting system 6/firewall 6 for your OS. it will save you time and money when you upgrade your hardware later, if your software is already up to spec. spend 500 now, save 2500 in the long run.
30+coyote
thanks for the suggestions and the feedback. I'm new to hacking 4th Edition. It's somewhat overwhelming in the first place. We have a rigger who was trying to hack. He tried really hard but... well he doesn't have a hot sim so it took him 12 IC days to gain admin access to a gaming companies security network.
Azathfeld
QUOTE (30+coyote)
thanks for the suggestions and the feedback. I'm new to hacking 4th Edition. It's somewhat overwhelming in the first place. We have a rigger who was trying to hack. He tried really hard but... well he doesn't have a hot sim so it took him 12 IC days to gain admin access to a gaming companies security network.

Unless he doesn't have a sim module at all, hacking should have been a matter of hours, not days. Even if he doesn't have a sim module, it's a lot faster to go buy one (they're cheap) than to spend two weeks trying to hack one node.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012