Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELLHOUND PUPPIES!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
How much would they cost to buy? I read the books, and they don't piss acid, so that takes care of, like, 80% of the potential problems I envisioned. What would you feed them? Meat? Babies? Brimstone?
Grinder
How do you come up with such ideas? wobble.gif

rotfl.gif
emo samurai
They rock; therefore, I come up with them.
hyzmarca
Where does it say that hellhounds don't urinate?

For easy cleanup I recomend a cerberus. Its like having three dogs but only having to clean up after one unless you get a wierd mutant metatype with one head and three butts.
emo samurai
I meant that they don't pee acid. Bad typo. I'd have assumed that they did.
fool
I don't know what the puppies would cost, but the pet license would be outrageous
emo samurai
Who needs a license if you're SINless? The whole point of being SINless is that you don't need licenses. If anyone tries to snitch on you, feed them to the puppy.
PBTHHHHT
Just because you're Sinless doesn't mean you can do anything you want. In some cases, it's worse. They don't like you and your puppy, so they shoot you, organleg your body, and then sell off your puppy. Hell, if the puppy is a pest most of your neighbors would be glad you got capped and be done with that ugly little beast.

You kill the snitch, watch out because the snitches cop buddies will lean on you about it. The cops might be a little pissed because they have to spent time and nuyen getting a new snitch. Heck, they might make you their new snitch if you play nice. If not, hell, if they bag another scummy no good criminal, that's another one for their arrest/kill record, maybe they might get that bonus. Don't forget about the snitch's buddies and such also. Just because you're sinless doesn't mean you can just go around capping people offhand unless you can make sure no one knows you did it because otherwise there is even repercussions if you get the wrong person.

edit: I'm just saying all this to make you think outside of 'Oh, I'm sinless, anarchy time, let's kill everyone and not worry about it.' Especially if you want to GM, it adds more direction and new paths in a game and it makes you think about additional life outside of just the immediate area around the runner.
neko128
Amusingly enough, I had meant to post this exact question last week, and just never got around to it because of work.

I'm leaning towards the 2k area for an untrained puppy, and 10k for a trained one.
emo samurai
Heehee! He'll be the cutest firebreathing ravenous man-eater ever!
NightHaunter
Bring back the animal bonding metamagic! vegm.gif
Waltermandias
I imagine raising them is pretty damn expensive. The cost on cyber-hair and eyebrows to replace those you lose when the adorable little thing licks your face is pretty pricey, and I think they eat bibles and orphans, so that's a big expense.
emo samurai
I actually looked for an "Acid Spit" power, and they don't have one. They are just like puppies; they just breathe fire. Which is AWESOME. You can get bibles for free if you talk to the right church, and orphans are always free.
Halabis
What do bibles have to do with anything? They are dogs. That breath fire. They dont eat babies. They dont demand you sacrifice things to satan. They are dogs. That breath fire. Thats it. (well, that and astraly percieve and cause fear)
KB12
I actually looked for an "Acid Spit" power, and they don't have one.

What about the power of Corrosive Spit (page 287) ?

Or did you simply mean that Hell Hounds don't have this power and I'm over analyzing things....
Shrike30
QUOTE (Halabis)
What do bibles have to do with anything?

Bibles are high in fiber. Babies are not. The two are mutually compatible in the hellhound diet.
Waltermandias
And necessary! You definately don't want your puppies getting hellhound scurvy from a lack of bible fiber and vitamin O.
emo samurai
They feed off of irony and hate.
Dranem
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Who needs a license if you're SINless? The whole point of being SINless is that you don't need licenses. If anyone tries to snitch on you, feed them to the puppy.

Emo, have you ever tried to purchase a dog in North America? Not some stray you pick off the streets, not some mangy hound you get from the pound, but buying a legal animal from a registered breeder. (And Hellhouds would require a registered breeder)
Not only do you pay a good $1k for a normal dog, but then there's licensing fees and shots to worry about.

Hellhounds (if I recall) are a restricted animal, meaning that you'd have to have a pretty high SIN (or Fake SIN) as well as a reason to purchase the animal. Frankly I think anyone short of an A corp would find it extremely hard to get an owners license for a Hellhound...

Then again, this isn't any further out than your other 'I think it's cool' ideas either.
Tattered~Seraphim
Thanks for the idea, Emo....... muwahahaha! biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dranem)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 2 2006, 05:16 PM)

Emo, have you ever tried to purchase a dog in North America? Not some stray you pick off the streets, not some mangy hound you get from the pound, but buying a legal animal from a registered breeder. (And Hellhouds would require a registered breeder)
Not only do you pay a good $1k for a normal dog, but then there's licensing fees and shots to worry about.

Hellhounds (if I recall) are a restricted animal, meaning that you'd have to have a pretty high SIN (or Fake SIN) as well as a reason to purchase the animal. Frankly I think anyone short of an A corp would find it extremely hard to get an owners license for a Hellhound...

Then again, this isn't any further out than your other 'I think it's cool' ideas either.

Shadowrunners are criminals who steal things and shoot people in the face for money. I don't think they'd have much trouble getting a hellhound from a registered breeder who probably isn't armed.

If push comes to shove just wait untill you run against a facility with hellhound guard dogs, knock one out with stun damage, and take it home.
Dissonance
I think I'd rather not take something that could bite my nuts off and cauterize the wound at the same time home with me, thank you very much.
James McMurray
Amored cybernuts should help with that.
Edward
You pay $US1000 for a dog.

My dog cost $AU25 (~$US15) but not from a licensed breeder. I know somebody that had a pure bread beagle from a licensed breeder and that was only $AU300 ($US200)

Personally I’m thinking this is a good run seed. NMJ wants 3 hell hound pups, and he is fussy about witch ones. The breeder already chipped them, and he will give you the chip numbers. You have to sneak in to the breeders (low security, other than the 10 adult hellhounds, and 20 grown pups, and 20 young pups, and the other awakened animals they breed.) identify the 3 pups the J wants. Extract them. Look after them for a few days while you set up a meat with the J. hand them over.

The twist, the J isn’t all that competent. These are for him personally, he has been at the breeders and is known to be interested in those 3 pups, when they go missing he is the prime suspect, if some action is not taken prevent identification of the pups taken (GM not to hint to players) the J will have been questioned before the handover and will back out of the deal.

I’m so glad my players don’t read this board.

Edward
emo samurai
We could easily steal one from a breeder. How is their behavior compared to real puppies?
Edward
I recall hellhounds being described s having a good temperament, if it wasn’t for the occasional playful fire breathing they would make appropriate companions for children (with adult supervision as with any animal).

I would expect the puppies to act just like puppies, play fighting much of the time. Of cause play fighting includes low power fire breathing.

Edward
nick012000
So... how well do hell hounds swim? Get the hellhound puppy for your kid, and only let them play together in the pool.
hyzmarca
Of course, there is also the happy average 2.5 child nuclear family whose Hellound bitch got herself knocked up and desperatly want someone to take the puppies off their hands. Just look for "free hellounds to a good home" adds in the paper.
nick012000
Was it any particular breeds of dogs that goblinized into Hellhounds, or did it happen across the spectrum? If it did, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an underground (and not-so-underground) trade in hellhounds. And Hellhound fights.

Heh. *imagines a dogfight right at the biginning of the awakening where one of the dogs suddenly goblinizes into a hellhound and incinerates its opponent*
emo samurai
NO! We must treat these spawn of Satan with tender, loving care! All they want to do is catch frisbees and get fed juicy, precooked steaks that they precook!
Halabis
Except they arent the spawn of..... You know what. never mind. I give up.
emo samurai
I was fudging that for the sake of funny. Apparently you don't understand funniness.
Grinder
Or not your version of it. wink.gif
NightHaunter
Hey emo, how old are you?
By the nature of your posts I have you down as between 14 and 24.
Already my mind is conunjuring fun with para pups.
Halabis
Shadowrun and funny are two things that I would say have a strong negative correlation. "funny" is not one of the themes of Shadowrun. at all. If I wanted funny I would play Toon, or D&D.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (Halabis)
Shadowrun and funny are two things that I would say have a strong negative correlation. "funny" is not one of the themes of Shadowrun. at all. If I wanted funny I would play Toon, or D&D.

I have the Red Dwarf RPG for that.
Almost killed someone with a mutant pot noodle once.
Waltermandias

I have to disagree. Obviously this is purely an asthetic decision, but I think that Shadowrun has a LOT of room for funny. It has hairy Hawaiian dwarves for god's sake. And cat girls. And you could get cyberskates! CYBERSKATES! How anyone could not see the humor in a cyberpunk game with Orcs, Trolls, and 80s fashion sensibilities is beyond me.

Of course that's just my group, and one of our favorite adventures featured the theft of the second largest faberge egg in the world, so take my opinion with a substantial grain of salt.
emo samurai
It can be funny if you have a VERY twisted sense of humor. Which I do. A lot.

And speaking of stealing a hellhound puppy as a campaign idea, I think that would be an awesome idea. I'm debating whether to make the theft from a cranky-ass breeder, or a puppy mill. If it's from a cranky-ass breeder, it would be fun to make fun of her, since on the Something Awful forums, a lot of people stereotype breeders as psychotic middle-aged women who make you jump through flaming hoops and worship their dog's piss. If it's from a puppy mill, I can always have an ecoterrorist group jump in and free the hellhounds in mass to screw things over completely.
Shrike30
I'd take a suggestion from the prefix "hell."
James McMurray
Given that you reward funniness with karma, every group's minmaxers should practice standup comedy.

By the rules Shadowrun is supposed to be funny. What game are you playing? wink.gif
emo samurai
Not standup comedy; it should be more spontaneous than that. Too bad I can't award myself karma for funniness.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Do you know what happened to the last person who mockingly wondered what my age was?

Just read it and it's not something to be proud...
emo samurai
Sure, from a rational perspective.
Azralon
QUOTE (Halabis @ Apr 4 2006, 11:00 AM)
Shadowrun and funny are two things that I would say have a  strong negative correlation.

I'd say dark humor works, definitely. Zany humor gets the comedian shot in the face with a quickness. Maybe by his own teammates.

There's of course room for cream pies made with explosive foam, but I'd file that under the aforementioned dark humor.

So, DC's Joker gets the Azralon Seal of Approval. A Freakazoid-themed hacker could work if he still got the job done without creating his own complications.

But straight-out Animaniacs wannabes A) are going to piss the wrong people off eventually and B) are not going to get hired by any Johnson worth his suit.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 4 2006, 04:05 PM)
Sure, from a rational perspective.

So says emo...

Anyway, back on topic. One thing you have to watch out for the hellhound puppies is make sure you have them in a flame resistant environment. That means probably not having them run around your apartment unless you feel like having to replace the couch constantly, heck, you might burn the building down if you're not careful.

edit:
But straight-out Animaniacs wannabes A) are going to piss the wrong people off eventually and B) are not going to get hired by any Johnson worth his suit.

Unless they're running some street level gangers. There's a gang from 3rd Edition New Seattle sourcebook if I recall correctly that are into the clown motif along with 'practical jokes'.
emo samurai
I did NOT have Animaniac dudes in mind. I would probably drop a cow on them. Or lift them into space and then drop them.
James McMurray
Drop a cow in them? Double ouch!
emo samurai
Fixed. Also, I have a whole monologue in mind for the "lift them into space and then drop them."

"A mysterious force lifts you into the sky. You don't feel much of anything affecting you, no aura, no invisible hand of God, just gravity in reverse.

You never dreamed that one day, you would fly without the aid of a plane, chopper, or jetpack that, implausibly, didn't burn your legs off. But you would be hard-pressed to describe what you're going through as flying; you're more falling into the sky. It would be beautiful if you weren't so sure of your impending doom; perhaps you still find it beautiful.

The air gets thinner, and you freeze to death just above the cloud layer. Even after you've left your body, free of worldly concerns like food, money, or your own death, you can't help but see your corpse through to the end.

Your body stops floating near the edge of space. It tumbles like a ragdoll through the various layers of turbulence; after about 5 minutes of this, you pass the cloud layer and the ground comes into view. It closes in, and then, splat. You land on a puppy, leaving you to contemplate for the rest of eternity the significance of your body killing such a small, innocent animal as its final act."
Shadowmeet
Someone's been watching Hitch Hikers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012