Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC/OOC : Warm Rum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Lindt
So lets begin with how I intend to run things.
Im easy, I like to play fast and loose. Rules are there to keep stuff in line. So in keeping with that idea, I bend dice a little depending on how you discribe your actions/prospective actions. If your entire post is "Able draws his gun and shoots goon 1" Ill be going 'as is'. If in the process of posting you "Ducking behind cover, Able unshoulders his Alpha, the smartlink reminding him that he only has 9 rounds left, he rolls out from behind the bulkhead and puts a 3 round burst center mass into the all ready wounded foe" be assured that youll be getting some help making that shot. I LIKE a little Hollywood in my SR.
I prefer the 3rd person limited writing style, and thats what I intend to use. If only for contunity, I humbely request you do the same (having a story switch between He and I too much gets really confusing). Just make sure to turn off your .sigs.

Now the purpose of this thread is to get the approved characters and perfect them. You will have a chance now, to work on background. It is important in this OOC thread that you show me the detail of your storytelling capabilities. As such, you will need to be very lenient to each other. If someone else tells a story which includes you, support his story, don't bicker over it (unless the story was incredibly degrading). Therefore, as you tell a story, please try to be nice about other characters, make sure you have a feel for their character, and don't assume they're panzies who sat quivering in fear as you saved the day. If so, Ill be sure at some point in time you are the one bleeding out on the deck, while everyone else is having fun.

In addition to thiese IC posts, moments between your characters, this thread will be used for me to comment on changes I think should be made to better integrate characters into the gmae once I open the IC thread. So be open to some suggestions, and I encourage everyone else to lend comments.
One thing Id like to add while we go over the last details, is that Id MUCH rather you be more interesting, then more powerfull. So to those of you who have 5 skills at 6, and nothing else, Im looking at you to spread the wealth a little. I am more then willing (neigh, I enjoy) to scale your encounters in regards to your combat ability.

So will every one please first post the latest version of their charcter here, before embarking on your little journey.

To start off with you will be in the sunny (and exclusive) port of Ft. Lauderdale.

*edit* one last thing (i promise) could you please mke it clear how much you budjected for 'The Dolphinian' when you put your charcter yup?
HMHVV Hunter
Here's Mal once again:

[ Spoiler ]

Given that the boat is his new home, he'll give what he can towards the boat - about 1,000 nuyen.gif, which will leave me with about 146 nuyen.gif for my personal use.
Chance359
Once again heres Hank. I'm adding 100,000 to the team fund, and I'll take one of the smaller cabins. Given Hank's mercenary nature, perhaps he owes something to someone else on the ship?

[ Spoiler ]

Callidus
Here's the, much edited over time *8->, repost of Spikes. He's put approx 256k to the boat +/- the fuel costs for the drones *8-> And I see him learning to sheet sail soon.... Still thinking of a good hook for him to have join the crew, although getting out of the deep shadows to the safer (ish) smuggler life was probably a big one for him.

[ Spoiler ]

[edit]Made a few tweaks as requested by Lindt *8->[/edit]
Glyph
Here's Ziptide. He's put 20,000 towards the ship.

[ Spoiler ]

I'll adjust his lifestyles to a more nautical one once we've settled up who's in which cabin. Ziptide started out as a delinquent corp kid hanging out with other thrill-seeking corp kids, go-gangers, and small-time smugglers. After that he had a more idealistic eco-activist phase, but after becoming disillusioned, he returned to the shadows more bitter than ever. So there are a number of ways that the other runners could have first met him.
Callidus
Lindt do we have a name for the captain yet? I'm thinking that Spikes got recommended to him by the kindly runner from his background, as a method out of the shadows, as a wheelman which means I could tie Zip into the background when he joins up..... either that or we (as many as is sensible) ran a few runs in the shadows together, possibly got enough heat off one to need to lay low for a while. Signed up for a short term smuggling run (as extra guards/muscle) and then decided it was more fun/better pay/safer and sign on full time. Not sure yet but should be fun meshing the characers together *8->
Lindt
Sure, Joeseppi 'Solomon' Bagmen will be the guy your crewing for. I was going to just say you all responded to a post somewhere, but more power to you if you want to build it in a little better.
Chance359
Lindt, could we get a basic description of Soloman?

(Etiquette roll: 2,5)
Lindt
Still havent heard from Robin or Hyz? *grumble* That may be the fastest 2 players lost, ever.

The man fits his craft. Tall, wirey, and handsome as hell. Hollywood blue blood, he secretes class. Blond hair, blue eyes, 2% body fat, muscular, but not body builder ripped. At the same time however, very unassuming, blends in almost at will with any crowd. But most importently, he talks like a siren. Its almost impossible to find him without at least one, if not three girls, hanging off him. Its said he could talk his way into Solomans lost mines, once he finds them. And do so in any of several languages.

He dosent have any obvious cyberware, nor (after a firm handshake) does he have a smartlink. He does have a subdermal datajack however, and his poc/sec is almost always plugged into it.
Lindt
HMHVV: Mal seems to be very deadly, and dosent have any way managing a 'soft takedown'. No gel ammo, no stun spells. Also, as a fish shamen, you have +2 to detection spells, but you dont have any of those either.
Trid Phantasm at force 5 seems a bit high, as most people wont even be throwing that many dice to see that its a fake. Vechicle Mask, while a great spell, is limited to (Body) force. So you wont be able to touch the boat with it.
Also, why pistols 6? Your spending extra points (it being greater then your quickness).

Chance: Hank has no language skills. Why does he have apraise item? It seems to stick out as something that dosent belong on an other wise very merc. charcter.

Callidus: You cant have more then 1 bonus att point. (sr comp. 17). Exceptional att. int. seems strange, as what you have isnt exceeding the norm, and the bioware boost dosent count to your starting max, only your racial max. Im going to reject the alergy to sun light for your own good. Your on a boat in the middle of the ocean, lots of sun light. While the drones can find homes (most of them break down), Im not sure the sea sled will. Also, Haiti speaks (officially) French or Creole. Though in practice its a spanish dialect.

Glyph: Umm... well 'I' cant find anything to disagree with. Just be sure to put somewhere what your totum bonuses are.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Lindt @ Apr 5 2006, 12:23 PM)
HMHVV:  Mal seems to be very deadly, and dosent have any way managing a 'soft takedown'.  No gel ammo, no stun spells.  Also, as a fish shamen, you have +2 to detection spells, but you dont have any of those either. 
Trid Phantasm at force 5 seems a bit high, as most people wont even be throwing that many dice to see that its a fake.  Vechicle Mask, while a great spell, is limited to (Body) force.  So you wont be able to touch the boat with it. 
Also, why pistols 6?  Your spending extra points (it being greater then your quickness).

Yeah, I couldn't find a detection spell that really worked for me. If you ask me, the description of the Fish totem ("he cleverly evades the predator's jaws and the angler's hook") and the bonus (to detection spells) are really incongruous. Illusion spells seem like more an indication of cleverness to me. I dunno - that's just me.

I just looked up the rules on Vehicle Mask. Yeah, you're right - on this boat it'd be useless. I'll try to think of a detection spell.

Trid phantasm I thought would be nice for a situation like this - boat's coming in to the harbor, and Trid Phantasm is cast before they get within LOS of the harbor police. All of a sudden, there's two (or more) boats approaching (at least to their eyes). Might buy some time.
Lindt
Agreed, it is kinda lame.

MitS. 144 "The caster can only mask vehicles with a body equal or less then the spells force. The vehicle must be masked to look like another vehicle of roughly the same size (body). This spell can also affect .... blah blah force."

So yeah, that spell wont work on a body 8 yacht.

HMHVV Hunter
As far as a detection spell:

I was thinking "Detect Enemies" might be a good one. However, I'm wondering about a couple things, specifically the two groups of enemies most likely to be encountered by pirates - enemy pirates and authorities.

In "Detect Enemies," it says that to detect an enemy, hostility must be directed at the character.

Since both enemy pirates/smugglers and authorities would be hostile to smugglers/pirates in general, would that count as hostility being directed personally at us (and therefore, fair game for the spell?)
hyzmarca
[ Spoiler ]

I'm here. I'm just too lazy to copy and paste my character sheet. Wounded Ronin is in Micronesia so his internet access isn't the most stable. He'll probably post as soon as he can.

Fish's +2 to detection may have something to do with the ability to tell the difference between a nice meal and bait in a deadly trap.

Being an albino, Samantha has the same alergy to the sun that Spikes is listed to have (and she doesn't even get any points for it). I do see the problem but I have a perfect roleplaying solution, sombreros and form fitting bodysuits. There are people who have alergies to sunlight in real life but such problems can be managed with goood clothing selection.
Callidus
D'oh, sorry Lindt I missed that one and it would have help had I not picked up Comp for 2ed rather than the 3ed version when creating the character...... *starts to remember why he avoids companion like the plague* *8->

Changed the allergy to Peanuts, although I always saw a mild allergy to sunlight as a tendancy to burn really easily and your eyes not being good in high light levels..... although after more thinking it makes less sense for him to burn easily when he's covered in black and white scales *8->

The exceptional int is why Spikes' Int is at 7 before the cerebral booster bonus, it might be confusing but I do 3 columns for my stats but DS stuffs the formatting, basically it goes stat name, then base level (aka what I paid for), modified level (base level +/- any mods from edges, flaws, and race), then finally cyber modified level (base level +/- mods +/- cyber/bio mods). So Spikes' Int track is:

6 (paided to racial max) 7 (exceptional attrib plus bonus attrib) 9 (Cerebral booster +2)

Hopefully I'm not dribbling too much *8->

As for the sea sled I kinda missed that you couldn't break it down and didn't know how big a ship we were going to end up on..... that and thought it'd be cool for underwater drop offs *8-> Anyhoo if it's not carriable I'll just dump the cash into the boat and/or fuel for the drones and boat..... oooo body 8 for the boat.... how about all the cash but 500 nuyen into boat and fuel and the 500 to a set of SunCell panels for the boat for easy drone charging..... up to you though Lindt or I'll find another home for the nuyen *8->
HMHVV Hunter
So what's the deal with Detect Enemies? By your ruling, could it be useful in that situation?
Lindt
*gets his copy of MitS out* *relizes that its not IN MitS, gets out Sr3*
Hmm... Yeah, in fact I think it would. It wouldnt tell you if they are hostile to smugglers in general (though with the port atho. thats same to assume), but if that other boat on the horizion wanted what you have, you would be the first to know.
Generaly a pretty usefull spell now that I look at it.
HMHVV Hunter
Change made - I now have Detect Enemies at Force 5. And with +2 dice for it, it'll be quite helpful.
HMHVV Hunter
Mal couldn't help but wonder if he looked like a homeless vagabond as he walked the docks, looking for the berth where the ship that had advertised for new hands was.

Dressed in a kevlar-lined trenchcoat that was getting uncomfortable in the Florida heat, carrying three luggage bags that held all he owned, he could definitely have passed for one.

It had been months since Mal had been aboard a boat, but he was no stranger to the seafaring life. In fact, it had been the best life he'd ever known - thumbing his nose at the governments that cared more about their own power than their people, evading the law, beating other pirates to the punch - he was something of a do-gooder about his profession, but he could not deny the rush that came with it either.

Finally reaching the berth he was supposed to be at, Mal mentally readied himself to meet his new captain. This was always somewhat nerve-wracking - meeting the person that he'd be entrusting to lead him and keep him safe. Mal rarely trusted others with that duty - if it were up to him, he'd be captaining the vessel.

But it's not up to me, Mal thought. Might as well get to know the guy first before starting to worry.

Mal started up the dock, towards the captain and the boat that would take him away from the boring South Florida life and onto the seas once again.
Callidus
Lieing on the, now armoured, recliner you could almost think the scaled and spiked form was asleep. In fact his body mostly was, his mind on the other hand was about 400 feet up looking down over the docks from a drab looking miniblimp.

His brain telling him that he was lighter than air and feeling the wonderful feel of the sun charging his batteries, Spikes drifts the drone around watching out for any authorities heading towards 'The Dolphinian'. Thinking of the boat brings the memories back Jones hooking him up with Soloman in Miami, the first sight of the boat that would, hopefully, be home for a fair while yet, the sleek lines....

A gentle blip from the drone pilot snaps him back to the present and looking through the sensors he sees what caught the drone's attention. What at first glance looks like a vagabond walking down the docks towards the yacht carrying his bags. Then the oddities jump out, the three luggage bags, the walk as though he was used to boats, and the trenchcoat.... worn even in the Florida sun....

Hmmm, guess the first of the crew that the captain advertised for.... or maybe just another of the SINless looking for a fishing spot? Ah well best warning the captain regardless

Setting the drones pilot to keep an eye on the man and to warn him if he got within 100 metres of the boat, Spikes drops back into his overwatch windows showing feeds from the other drones surrounding his mental image. Concentrating to kick in his transducered radio plugged into the deck.

Captain? We got a man heading our way, might be someone coming for your job offer. I'm keeping an eye on him, doesn't look like a rent-a-cop unless he's mastering undercover as a drifting SINless.

Message sent Spikes sends a quick thought to the two IWS's just to power up and get ready but to stay below and out of sight.
HMHVV Hunter
Reaching the boat specified in the job "ad," Mal approached a bit more, then dropped his bags on the docks.

I've gotta handle this carefully, Mal thought. He knew enough about smugglers and pirates - having BEEN both - to know that they were justifiably paranoid about security.

How to handle this best? How to announce his intentions without alerting the whole docks to the ship?

"Captain?" he called out to the boat. "Permission to come aboard, sir?"
Lindt
Its now friday. Shall I wait for Robin to check in (and thus delay another week), or say the hell with it, leave the ninja on the docks and shove off monday?

HMHVV Hunter
I don't know. If this is any indication of how Ronin is, I can only wonder how he's going to be when the game gets going. And in a PbP game, all it takes is one lapsing poster to kill the game.

I vote we ship out on Monday.
Callidus
I'd go with that, shame to lose a player already but I've seen too many games die because of lack of posts by one or more players *8-<
Chance359
Lindt: Add English: 4 Read/Write: 2
Also drop Appraise Item and add Medicine: 2/Herbal: 4

Introduction:
[ Spoiler ]

Lindt
Guess we drown the ninja then. Pity, he could have been interesting.

Ill set up the IC/OOC threads sunday night.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Lindt)
Still havent heard from Robin or Hyz? *grumble* That may be the fastest 2 players lost, ever.

Guess we drown the ninja then. Pity, he could have been interesting.

Noooo! I actually missed this thread. Looks like I've been removed rom the game, too. It's only been 5 days... ;;

Well, my internet access is reduced from what you might expect in the US because I'm in the FSM. Last week I had really limited access. If the occasional 5 days or so slipping here and there is going to be a big issue maybe I shouldn't play after all, especially since I had no idea this thread existed until I found it today. I was pretty excited to be playing in this game but on the other hand I don't want to cause annoyance to people because I can't post on weekends and things like that.

Oh well, good gaming to you then.
Callidus
Yah! The ninja's back *8-> Lindt might be worth a Pm to him in case he isn't gonna check the thread anymore.....
hyzmarca
I vote that we let Wounded Ronin back in. Even with his sporadic internet access his character has too much potential to waste.

HMHVV Hunter
I don't know. Like I said, an entire group waits up for one person to post at the wrong time, and wham - game over on account of loss of interest.

I'm concerned that this is going to be a trend that'll lead to that result.
Chance359
for what its worth I also vote to keep the ninja.
Lindt
I hate to do this, but Im going to agree with hunter on this.
While in my tabletop games I dont have a huge issue with tossing someone in the back of a pickup and tossing a tarp over them, I feel it will cause too much trouble to be depending on someone who cant reliably post a few times a week.

So on a slightly related note, Im delaying a day to get my ass in gear after a weekend of explicating Ginsberg. Opening threads tonight.
Glyph
Sea Shaman advantages: +2 for Health and Transformation Manipulation spells (the spirit bonuses don't apply, since Ziptide is a sorcerer).

Sea Shaman disadvantages: don't give away anything for free (although the "price" may be more symbolic for friends), Willpower (6) test to avoid answering any insult in kind.

Two quick questions:
Will he be able to store his bike on board, and if not, could I replace it with an electric Suzuki Watersport? Will he be able to set up his Shamanic Lodge on board?
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Glyph)
Sea Shaman advantages: +2 for Health and Transformation Manipulation spells (the spirit bonuses don't apply, since Ziptide is a sorcerer).

Sea Shaman disadvantages: don't give away anything for free (although the "price" may be more symbolic for friends), Willpower (6) test to avoid answering any insult in kind.

Two quick questions:
Will he be able to store his bike on board, and if not, could I replace it with an electric Suzuki Watersport? Will he be able to set up his Shamanic Lodge on board?

Hmmm...I was also planning on a shamanic lodge.

Wonder how that's gonna work out...
Lindt
No and No, and sorta. Id limit to force 4 *I did have to go drap out the SSG to see what they said, cause i rememberde they said something about it* in the 2 luxery cabins, and force 2 in the improved cabins. The 2 crew cabins are just too small for a good lodge to fit.
However, the cargo bay would fit a force 8 if it where empty. Just remember it takes (force) days to set up and attune.

However, before you both say I want that, right now the capt has one of the plush cabins.

Im also going to make a few small changes to the boat, consdiering donations, and the reduced people.

Ill post it here tommorow.
Lindt
[ Spoiler ]

So I lied. It will now ignore LAW rockets.

HMHVV Hunter
I could probably use the cargo hold with no problems. A few days to set up? Big deal - I don't plan on using it every day anyways.

So when's the startup thread coming up?
Lindt
Well, you could use the cargo hold as long as your not carrying anything.

Im ironing out some personal issues, so Ill get the IC thread up over morning coffee.

Ill toss the OOC one up right now though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012