Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know Kung Fu....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 12 2006, 09:05 PM)
I didn't want people to think that I hate everything Cain related. wink.gif

Personally, I appreciate his use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Oh, and his easily-typed forum handle.

That's about all I got for ya so far, Cain, sorry. smile.gif
Cain
My question is why would you toss even more penalties on top of that.

My second question was why would that necessitate opening up exploding dice everywhere (instead of just inside the lognshot test).

1) You wouldn't need to. Once you've upped the TN, that's penalty enough.

2) The problem would come when characters with a low amount of dice to begin with. If they push the dice pool down to exactly zero, they're still at a base TN of 5. Once there, with or without a guaranteed die, they'll have a better chance with an exploding roll than they'd get with a normal one. So, we've mitigated the problem some, but not totally-- players will still be encouraged to push up the modifiers somewhat instead of going for the straight shots.

So you take a longshot. You spend an Edge and you roll a couple of dice, maybe you even hit. Now your weapon does its base DV (somewhere between 5 for a heavy pistol and 8 for a sniper rifle), and does an extra DV or three for your hits on the longshot attack test. And now the vehicle resists with its Body of 16, and probably gets 5 or 6 hits, and you might not have even done any damage with your heavy pistol.

Yeah. I really honestly fail to see how that's "abuse".

With a Body of 16, it'll get an average of 5 successes, true. However, since the heavy pistol will do a minimum of 6 boxes (5 base + 1 for making the shot) the Citymaster will take some damage. Load your gun with EX-EX, and we're looking at a Moderate wound. That could easlily make quite a bit of difference-- and that's not factoring in what would happen if you're using a more powerful weapon. For example, you'd do 7 boxes if you threw a fragmentation grenade.

However, called shots on vehicles have other options, which include targeting passengers. (P 162.) Because a shot on a passenger leaves the vehicle unaffected, its Body doesn't help; the passenger instead gets the benefit of the vehicle's armor. So, let's redo this example, but this time we'll assume the APC is being rigged.

With the Citymaster's armor plus Full-Body armor on the driver, we're looking at 32 points of armor. So, we take a -32 to the roll, plus additional cover penalties-- but with -32, we're not going to have any dice left anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference. Thresholds never apply to combat rolls, so we just need to score one success. Mr. Lucky pulls out his handy-dandy AVS, kicks it into burst-fire mode (an additional -2, which *still* doesn't matter), spends a point of Edge, and rolls 8 dice for his test; getting an average of 2.66 successes, rounded up to 3. The rigger is totally limp, being in full-VR mode, so he only gets to resist with base Body. Assuming a Body of 3, he'll score 1 success, versus a damage code of 13. He'll take a full 12 boxes of damage, taking him and his Citymaster out of the fight instantly. With the driver dead, we may even be looking at a crash test for the vehicle, which would be a test with Pilot of 3 vs a threshold of 3... and a -1 Handling modifier. Not going to happen.

So, with one point of Edge, we've taken out a Citymaster with a flechette-only pistol. We may have even crashed it; and since crashing damage is the same as ramming damage, we've probably killed everone inside as well. (If the citymaster was going over 61 m/t, it'll deal 32 points of damage to itself and everyone inside. It might live, but the tactical squad inside is a smear.) Thanks to the longshot test abuseability, you killed an armored personel carrier, a rigger, an entire SWAT team, the opposition's mobile command post, and most of your GM's plotline in one shot.
James McMurray
2) The problem would come when characters with a low amount of dice to begin with. If they push the dice pool down to exactly zero, they're still at a base TN of 5. Once there, with or without a guaranteed die, they'll have a better chance with an exploding roll than they'd get with a normal one. So, we've mitigated the problem some, but not totally-- players will still be encouraged to push up the modifiers somewhat instead of going for the straight shots.

They'd be even better off not having so many modifiers, spending the edge, and getting exploding dice on a larger dice pool.

Also, why is the rigger anywhere that you can see him? if he's driving via VR he doesn't have to be in the driver's seat. He doesn't even have to be in the vehicle at all. No book hndy either, but I'm not sure if you can bypass vehicle armor for people inside it with a called shot. I'm almost positive that it doesn't say specifically that you can, and that would definitely seem like a position where the GM would have to say "you're ignoring the giant metal box he's inside with a called shot? Nice try." If that sort of thing were allowed, you could ignore the barrier rating on walls as well. After all, there's no difference between a 3" sheet of steel on a truck than a 3" sheet of steel on a wall.

But yes, by the base rules, it is possible to invent situations where tossing 500 penalty dice and then rolling edge is a good thing. Luckily I don't have to contend with players like that. wink.gif
James McMurray
and most of your GM's plotline in one shot.

And of course, there's always "plotlines are made to be broken, so don't try to railroad people." If losing the city master ruins the entire run, the GM needs to either decide to up the security on the city master, or add 50 more of them. Relying on any one piece of a prepared adventure is just begging to have it destroyed, and you'll end up out there running on the fly again, wondering how it is those ingrates always manage to ruin your fun. wink.gif
Cain
They'd be even better off not having so many modifiers, spending the edge, and getting exploding dice on a larger dice pool.

It'd depend on the situation. For example, if you only had 2 dice, you could go for a called shot for +2 damage. One exploding die with +2 damage is a lot better than two exploding dice at normal value.
Also, why is the rigger anywhere that you can see him? if he's driving via VR he doesn't have to be in the driver's seat. He doesn't even have to be in the vehicle at all. No book hndy either, but I'm not sure if you can bypass vehicle armor for people inside it with a called shot. I'm almost positive that it doesn't say specifically that you can, and that would definitely seem like a position where the GM would have to say "you're ignoring the giant metal box he's inside with a called shot? Nice try."

According to the RAW on p 162, you *can* shoot at a passenger, even if you have to invoke the blind-fire penalty. If you do so, the vehicle armor is added to the personal armor value; the called shot rules just say you can bypass armor, it doesn't matter where that armor comes from. Other than that, page 162 also says that called shots against vehicles are treated exactly the same as personal shots, with an extra option or two. So, the rules definitely treat this situation just like a standard personal shot, with the standard rules in place.

If that sort of thing were allowed, you could ignore the barrier rating on walls as well. After all, there's no difference between a 3" sheet of steel on a truck than a 3" sheet of steel on a wall.

According to the RAW, there is. Bypassing armor is not the same thing as penetrating a barrier rating. Called shots specifically allow you to bypass armor, not Barriers. And besides, the devs apparently thought that -6 would be enough of a penalty to dissuade anyone. Which is further proof that the Edge/Longshot loophole goes straight to the heart of the mechanic, and can't be fixed without changing some very fundamental things.
James McMurray
One exploding die with +2 damage is a lot better than two exploding dice at normal value.

Unless you want to get more successes than the other guy.

You could always called shot to bypass armor in every edition, and it's always had it's problems. Saying "the rules technically allow me to shoot someone in a tank while ignoring the tank, so GMs should ignore logic" is kinda silly. Makes me glad I neither play in your games, nor have you play in mine. smile.gif
Cain
Unless you want to get more successes than the other guy.

Not really. With one die, you have a .33 chance of scoring a success; but if you hit, he'll need 2 extra successes to stage it down. With two, your odds of a success go up to .66, which still isn't very high-- you're still only looking at a probability of 1 success. However, the guy needs 6 less Body to have an average chance of staging it down.

You could always called shot to bypass armor in every edition, and it's always had it's problems.

In 3rd, it had problems, but you could technically only call shots to bypass armor on melee and chemical attacks. For some strange reason, you couldn't do that on normal shots. I don't have my 2nd ed book handy, but in 1st there were no called shots, let alone ones to bypass armor.
Saying "the rules technically allow me to shoot someone in a tank while ignoring the tank, so GMs should ignore logic" is kinda silly.

Silly is an understatement, but it's a flaw in the rules. GM preferences have nothing to do with the quality of a game system. The problem here isn't that it's even possible to take out an APC with a flechette round-- the problem is that it's *easy*. You cannot fix this problem without fixing the entire core mechanic of the game, as well as several major premises.
James McMurray
He only needs one dodge success to ignore your shot entirely if yo only get one hit. Also, there's no staging anymore.
James McMurray
I've agreed that in certain gaming groups there could be a problem. I've yet to see how problems on the longshot test require opening exploding dice to every test. And applying a little logic to your games makes that even less necessary.
Cain
He only needs one dodge success to ignore your shot entirely if yo only get one hit. Also, there's no staging anymore.

Then it doesn't matter if you're rolling one or two dice now, does it? You're still only likely to get one success. One exploding dice at +2 damage is better than two at normal damage, since you're likely to score the same number of successes, which means the other guy has about the same chance to dodge.

And once again: if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. You can call it "reducing", "soaking", or "staging", it's still the same thing.
I've agreed that in certain gaming groups there could be a problem. I've yet to see how problems on the longshot test require opening exploding dice to every test. And applying a little logic to your games makes that even less necessary.

We'll have to agree on some premises first. If we go with my proposal-- guaranteed one die, extra penalties increase the TN-- then we require exploding dice in order to hit that increased TN. Otherwise, we've just made the task impossible, edge or no edge.

The problem then becomes that if someone's at one die to begin with, he may as well toss on an additional -1 penalty-- he'll be at exactly zero, for no TN raises. He'll have the exact same number of dice as before, only now he gets an exploding die-- he'll get a *benefit* from tacking on additional penalties. Since the whole purpose of this is to reduce or eliminate the massive modifier trick, we've just defeated our own purpose. Not as badly as before, sure, but a good system should try and cover *all* exploits. A similar thing would happen if the person doesn't have much edge; and the math is pretty similar if he's at two or three dice.

Now, you're going to say: "Apply logic!" First of all, someone who's using rules loopholes has already got you beat on that score. They've taken their logic further than you have, can back it up with page references, and will make it so that you're using GM fiat instead of logic to stop them. Second, with the first fix in play, the alterations for the smaller trick are going to be harder to catch or forbid. For example, someone with one die might fire in semi-auto, taking the recoil penalty (and getting an exploding die) for his second shot. You can't forbid someone to use semi-auto, so we need a rules-based defense to cover it.

But if we fix this by allowing exploding dice on every roll, then there won't be any benefit to pulling that stunt. In fact, he'll be better off using Edge to gain extra dice. We'll have taken a step further in bulletproofing the rules, which always makes for a better game. The only major problem to fix these flaws is that it requires totally abandoning several major concepts of SR4-- like the entire core dice mechanic and its underlying assumptions.
Big D
Or by the GM saying "Right, stop that, that's silly!"

Rules are a simplification and extrapolation of reality designed to make things less tedious and more fun than real life. But in most RPGs, the point is still to have something of a basis in reality. Therefore, what is wrong with GM fiat when dealing with OTT rules lawyering?

I want to fire a bullet into the air and have it fall down on Lofwyr and kill him instantly. Nevermind that he's in Europe.

Now, if the armored van raised earlier has bulletproof glass that you can see through, then maybe edge will be enough to get a lucky shot through microfissures in the glass and handwave itself neatly into the target's body. But if the target is behind steel and has complete cover, well, I don't have any problem calling that an "impossible" shot. Get a fraggin' rocket, you newbie, or blow your edge shooting external cameras or skipping bullets off the pavement into the tires.

That's what the GM is there for. To tell you what you can, and (only when patently absurd), what you can't do, and what the results of your actions are.
James McMurray
Cain, I must have misunderstood. Byu "always allow them at least one die" I thought you meant on longshot tests. If you want to always give them a single die even if the attempt is normally impossible because they're out of dice, I don't think it's necessary or even worthwhile.

Making dice penalties also subtract from edge and then ensuring they have at least one edge die left I could go with. Again, if I ever found myself needing a house rule to stop people from trying to abuse the RAW by performing impossible actions.

And yes, someone can try and argue rules loophole logic all day long if they want. But I'll jut happily point them to where it says that the GM has to make judgement calls. If they still want to try and abuse loopholes by performing impossible acts, they're not the kind of player I want in my game anyway, so their loss won't really bother me all that much.
Cain
Rules are a simplification and extrapolation of reality designed to make things less tedious and more fun than real life. But in most RPGs, the point is still to have something of a basis in reality. Therefore, what is wrong with GM fiat when dealing with OTT rules lawyering?

Because then we get into the slippery-slope thing. You allow X because you like it, but don't allow Y becase you don't like it. Do enough of that, and you've still abandoned the system you were playing. If heavy amounts of GM fiat is required to fix a system, then that system has serious flaws that need to be looked at.

Now, if the armored van raised earlier has bulletproof glass that you can see through, then maybe edge will be enough to get a lucky shot through microfissures in the glass and handwave itself neatly into the target's body. But if the target is behind steel and has complete cover, well, I don't have any problem calling that an "impossible" shot.

The example was a Citymaster; and IIRC the original pics of the -Master series had a window slot. I assume that the window glass was bulletproof, which only makes sense.
Dissonance
Call me crazy, but I can't help but think there's something that's being overlooked here, with the whole Snipe-A-Guy thing. There's got to be some kind of barrier or reduction thing going on, somewhere.

Going back to the Massive -32 Dice thing and being reduced to a longshot test... wouldn't it make more sense for the additional dice from the use of edge to be subtracted _from_ that massive chunk of penalty?

Or is this more of a Devil's Advocate sort of situation?

Edit: No, I just saw the rule. My, but that's silly.
James McMurray
Yes, it's an incredibly silly rule when looked at in that light, which is why there are times when a GM should have to step in and say , "nope, not possible." Longshot tests weren't (IMO) intended to allow people to do things that are impossible for anyone, but rather things that are impossible for them. If nobody can physically jump to the moon (or shoot through an armored car with a light pistol, or whatever), nobody should be able to do it via edge.
Doubtman
Couldn't you just add a number of thresholds to the final test for every -x modifiers beyond that which takes you to zero.

Than it would become really hard to shout a APC with you light-pistol, but it could happen (due to the exploding dice rule)

Because taking out the freakish actions out of the game would eliminate the fun you can later have about them.

We had a pasty looking rigger pull of a 42 initiative in SR2 (with the Adreneline Surge Edge). Trapped in a building, he shot his attacker twice, ran past him, had a controlled fall down the stairs, shot the guy in front of his car, slided over the hood, got in his car and fled the scene, before anybody knew what happened.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dissonance)
No, I just saw the rule. My, but that's silly.

Which is why I seriously consider simply removing the longshot rule.

If your dice pool drops to zero or below, you still can take Edge to get additional dice (which explode then)... but if there aren't enough Edge dice to get you above zero, you are out of luck.
Dissonance
How about making it so that if you spend a point of edge, you get to make a longshot test with only one die?
Rotbart van Dainig
The core problem remains the same: At a certain point, it doesn't matter anymore how high modifiers pile up, so you can go for all those special options.
Dissonance
Mn. Makes sense. Admittedly, my experience with SR4 is next to nil. My buddies still play 3 or other games, and I'm trying to convert them. Haven't had any takers yet. Still plan on buying the books. I've got a thing for Cyberpunk and 80s movies.

Seriously, TBS has me wanting to play in a Running Man campaign.
Cain
Yes, it's an incredibly silly rule when looked at in that light, which is why there are times when a GM should have to step in and say , "nope, not possible." Longshot tests weren't (IMO) intended to allow people to do things that are impossible for anyone, but rather things that are impossible for them. If nobody can physically jump to the moon (or shoot through an armored car with a light pistol, or whatever), nobody should be able to do it via edge.

And it's a very easy thing for a Gm to start saying: "You can't tie your shoes, because it's physically impossible for you with your Quickness of 1." Well, I know more than a few quadrapalegics who can tie their shoes, crochet and sew and knit, drive cars, and play the piano. "Impossible" is an objective term, not a subjective view. If something is just very, very unlikely, it's not impossible-- and Edge was meant to pull off the very, very unlikely. And if the action is going to add to the dramatic tension of a game? Why on earth should any GM forbid it?

GMs cannot just step in and say: "Nope, not possible" every time a player comes up with a trick the GM thinks is unlikely; otherwise, what's the point of even rolling dice? "Nope, not possible for you, you only have one dice left" might become "Nope, not possible for you, you only have five dice left" to "Nope, not possible, even though you've got forty-two dice to roll and the RAW says it's a threshold of 3-- I think it's impossible, so you can't do it." ohplease.gif
Couldn't you just add a number of thresholds to the final test for every -x modifiers beyond that which takes you to zero.

In combat, you can't apply thresholds at all. And even then, you run the risk of the "impossible task" situation, where dramatic actions aren't possible due to a lack of dice. The only workable fix I've seen so far is to reinstate floating TN's; the default TN is still 5, but enough penalties drive it upward.
James McMurray
So you've reached the "but if we try to use logic players won't be allowed to tie their shoes" part of the discussion? LOL
Shrike30
SR4 has, in a big way, decided to abandon trying to hard-code in anti-twink controls and simply trust GMs to tell their players when they're being smacktards. I'm coming to greatly prefer this, because honestly, it's nice to have a fairly smoothly flowing game system that doesn't have a ridiculous number of little bells and whistles stuck into it here and there meant to prevent dice-based stupidity from getting out of hand.

It's gaming with your safety off... you're going to hit what you're pointing at, because the system is no longer putting in more than a basic effort to prevent stupidity from ocurring. And for good reason... I've been gaming the better part of 2 decades now, and haven't *ever* seen a system that prevents players from finding massively skewed things they can do that the rules technically allow.

Control and responsibility has been placed firmly in the lap of the GM. If your relationship with your group is such that you're going to have a bitch of a time getting people to not do dumb stuff like jump to the moon or one-shot APCs with holdouts because "the rules let them do it," you've got a problem on your hands. The rules never let people do anything... the rules and GM combined are how anything happens in a game. If I've got a player stacking penalties onto a test because he knows he's just going to be rolling Edge anyway, he's going to get told to knock it off and stop trying to break the game. If his character concept revolves around being able to do "impossible" things, well, the GM gets to clear characters to play in the game, right?
Cain
SR4 has, in a big way, decided to abandon trying to hard-code in anti-twink controls and simply trust GMs to tell their players when they're being smacktards.

There's a word for this: "House Rules". If you have to invoke a large number of house rules in order to make your game work, then the system is not very complete or well thought-out. I mean, once we've rewritten the core dice mechanics, the skill/attribute caps, the matrix loopholes.... at what point are you still playing the same game anymore?
It's gaming with your safety off... you're going to hit what you're pointing at, because the system is no longer putting in more than a basic effort to prevent stupidity from ocurring. And for good reason... I've been gaming the better part of 2 decades now, and haven't *ever* seen a system that prevents players from finding massively skewed things they can do that the rules technically allow.

Yeah, but I haven't often seen a system that didn't even bother to try. And while most of the abuseable holes in other systems involve finely-detailed obscure rules that can be bent together; I can't recall seeing a system with flaws this heavy baked right into the core dice mechanics. Some things are acceptable, and are just par for the course... but something this major?
If I've got a player stacking penalties onto a test because he knows he's just going to be rolling Edge anyway, he's going to get told to knock it off and stop trying to break the game. If his character concept revolves around being able to do "impossible" things, well, the GM gets to clear characters to play in the game, right?

Ahem. Casting fireballs is impossible. Being able to move in hyper-time is impossible. Wirelessly connecting your brain to the internet is impossible. I've yet to see a Shadowrun character that *wasn't* based on doing a few impossible things.

If you want to ban a character that twists obscure rules in arcane ways to produce ridiculous results the system wasn't designed for, that's one thing. However, if someone creates a perfectly straightforward and legal character that follows the rules without bending or twisting their letter or intent, and happnes to have an extreme powerplay, that's a different matter entirely.
James McMurray
Obviously "impossible" was meant to be read as "impossible by SR 'physics'." Being intentionally obtuse only serves to defeat your purpose, not promote it.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Shrike30)
SR4 has, in a big way, decided to abandon trying to hard-code in anti-twink controls and simply trust GMs to tell their players when they're being smacktards.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Control and responsibility has been placed firmly in the lap of the GM.

The players share that responsibility. Alltough we like to discuss the crazy things we could do, most would never try to do it.

Edit: 'We' means me and the people I play or played with. I'm not as sure about some of the people on this board ^^.
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 18 2006, 12:09 AM)
Obviously "impossible" was meant to be read as "impossible by SR 'physics'." Being intentionally obtuse only serves to defeat your purpose, not promote it.

Yeah, really.

I hereby dub that as an "attack of imagined opportunity."
Shrike30
I mean, once we've rewritten the core dice mechanics, the skill/attribute caps, the matrix loopholes.... at what point are you still playing the same game anymore?

Apparently, the point at which you choose to define "players being smacktards" is different than where I do. Mine is usually somewhere around "makes the game fall apart." The only one that really has game-breaking issues, in my mind, is some of the "swarming" strategies that are possible under the matrix rules, and that was an easy fix... "don't do it, wait for the Matrix book."

I can't recall seeing a system with flaws this heavy baked right into the core dice mechanics. Some things are acceptable, and are just par for the course... but something this major?

The core dice mechanic works fine if the GM is there to say things like "Stop piling on penalties out the ass just because you're going to long-shot it." This isn't a "house rule," this falls very firmly into the realm of the GM's right to tell players to knock off stupid shit.

However, if someone creates a perfectly straightforward and legal character that follows the rules without bending or twisting their letter or intent, and happnes to have an extreme powerplay, that's a different matter entirely.

If an extreme powerplay is going to break the game that I'm running, I'm going to say "not happening." The worst thing that can happen is the player doesn't join the campaign and gets snitty about it, which accomplishes the initial objective of keeping the character out anyway.

I hear all this talk about how various characters "follow the rules" and "are a legal build" but are still totally ruining someone's game. One of the big, fat rules that any game system made in the last couple of decades has written near the beginning of the book, and which SR4 uses as one of it's primary building blocks, is that what the GM says, goes. One fix to broken characters is to slap on about 200 house rules to the existing system... the other is to invoke a rule that already exists, and tell the player to build something else.
James McMurray
I doubt the intent of the longshot rules was to allow someone to stack 500 modifiers on top of an already nigh impossible task just to cheese the system. That's a personal opinion only, as intent wasn't given in the book.
Apathy
Just to be sure I understand the issue:
When rolling with one exploding die for a nearly-impossible task (threshold = 4), you would have to roll 3 successive 6's, followed by either a 5 or 6. If I calculate that correctly, your chances of success are roughly 0.15% (around one-seventh of one percent).

...and you're worried that it can't get any lower?

They're already effectively throwing away their action by attempting something that might as well be impossible. I don't see the point in worrying about it.
James McMurray
His concern is that per the rules as written (i.e. ignoring the rule about GM intervention) you can apply a -500 modifier to a die roll, spend an edge, then use your 6+ edge pool to have a chance at success.
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
His concern is that per the rules as written (i.e. ignoring the rule about GM intervention) you can apply a -500 modifier to a die roll, spend an edge, then use your 6+ edge pool to have a chance at success.

Well summarized. If I may:

"Taking the rules as written but ignoring this particular one, a problem occurs."
Butterblume
Which, of course, is a rather obscure worry, and easily rebuffed when you remind your players, that NPC can do what the players can do ...
ixombie
People seem to be concerned about edge because it seems to make impossible things possible.

There is, however, a particular distinction that's being overlooked, the difference between "things with tons of modifiers that are virtually impossible, and things that are actually impossible.

Take for instance the really hard sniper shot. If the target is at long range in the dark with fog and the player is distracted, what's the problem with the player getting lucky and hitting against the odds? The target was still sitting there, drinking his tea, with nothing between him and the player's gun except a cinematic display of luck.

However, the GM is not helpless. The only time when we need to be concerned about the game being broken is when the GM has no options available under the rules except to say "I'm the GM and I ignore the rules" which makes everyone mad.

In the case of the impossible sniper shot, though, the GM has an option- he can make the shot virtually impossible though doable with edge and good rolls, or he can just make it flat out impossible. You don't want the player to be able to achieve something? The player won't be able to achieve it then, no matter their edge. Like perhaps the target is protected by a high force armor spell and the bullets can't manage to kill him. Or maybe he's just chilling in a building with armored glass windows, so even if the player gets lucky enough to shoot him dead on, the bullets won't get through the window. Or maybe right as the Mr. Lucky is aiming his shot, he has to roll surprise as Mr. Cyberninja jumps out of the shadows to cut his head off.

In conclusion- don't think the player should be able to manage something? Make it impossible, don't make it virtually impossible then whine when that slim chance becomes reality. I think the problem is that SR4 is new, and GMs aren't yet used to adjusting for edge. In SR3 you could just make a task too hard to be reasonable and rest assured, and we're all locked into that way of setting things up. In SR4, you have to take edge into account at all times. If you do, then the game breaking which people are worrying about won't be a problem.
Cain
The problem isn't bad players... it's bad GMs. We're mostly GMs on these boards, but I think we've all seen a few munchkin GMs in our times. The rules act to protect players against bad GMs. GM declaration can always be used against players, at any time-- but if you're having to invoke it every time someone spends edge, then you're really pushing the line of GM abuse.

You need to rewrite the system from the ground up in order to prevent this from happening. GMs always have the right to impose house rules, but those rules need to be fair. If I have to choose between becoming an abusive GM, and discarding a system just to start from the ground up, I'll take the rewrite option every time-- GM abuse is no fun at all.

SR4 is missing the stability that protects both GMs and players from abuse. There aren't just loopholes in the system-- there's loopholes going all the way down to the core dice mechanics. GMs now need to adjudicate every last possible use of Edge to prevent player abuse, which leads them right into charges of GM abuse. Accusations start to fly, friendships crack, and no one has fun anymore. That is *not* something I like to see in a game.
James McMurray
If you're having to say "no, you can't do that" every time your players use edge you're not the one who is being abusive (unless you're denying them the opportunity to perform valid actions).
Voran
Maybe if the penalties lower your dice pool beyond the listed stat of your Edge, you can't longshot it at all? If you've taken enough penalties to lower your dice pool to -5, and have 4 edge, you're SOL? You'd still have the option of burning a permanent edge to buy a success, but can't actually use the pool to Longshot.
Kremlin KOA
which removes longshot from low edge character
Voran
In a way, that doesn't seem too bad. The way I look at it, a higher level char is going to have a higher rated pool right? So it becomes less likely they'll dip into the negatives than joe average on a difficult situation. But if they do, it's also less likely they'll dip too far into the negatives for modifiers, so also easier for them to use edge on a hail mary. But it does also help ease down on the hail marys unless they wanna burn edge. I think it'd also have the game effect of helping reduce intentional penalty piling to pull off the called shot that bypasses the armored car, takes a buncha sharp turns, and hits Mr. Target in the ear.
Kremlin KOA
but high edge chars will have LOWER skills
James McMurray
Why is that? You can make a high edge character with high skills.
Kremlin KOA
then they lose out on stats
or magic
or money
or contacts
the points have tocome from SOMEWHERE
Voran
Yeah it does sorta suck its not a 'freebie' anymore like karma pool was (though karma pool did cost, it didn't cost like a skill).
ixombie
There aren't just loopholes in the system-- there's loopholes going all the way down to the core dice mechanics. GMs now need to adjudicate every last possible use of Edge to prevent player abuse, which leads them right into charges of GM abuse. Accusations start to fly, friendships crack, and no one has fun anymore. That is *not* something I like to see in a game.

I wasn't trying to suggest that a GM needs to decide in advance every single thing the players can and cannot do in order to prevent "abuse." I mean, it's a tabletop game, where the hell do you draw the line between fun and abuse? I'd assume you draw it where people are starting to not have fun anymore. If players taking longshots and actually passing them and mucking up your whole idea isn't fun, I don't know why you're GMing. It might take more thinking, but being creative is something that many people enjoy about GMing, and fast thinking is virtually required. If your goal is to railroad the players every single time, then yeah I can see how longshots would ruin your fun, how they would be a "loophole all the way down to the core dice mechanics."

I wasn't suggesting that any GM pull a "you can't do that," not ever. That's stupid. Just use some freakin tactics once in a while huh? Maybe the man the runners are trying to assassinate has hired a rigger or mage to keep watch for them, and if they're not smart about it they'll get noticed and he'll get in cover? That way if they're clever enough not to be seen, they deserve to take the longshot (and probably not kill the man anyway with just one shot at DV8). Maybe their goal is protected by something big and nasty that requires wits and not just one lucky roll to beat.

The Edge system is the tool that players have to make things interesting, to make the GM think fast. The lucky character can do amazing things (a limited number of times), but they cannot take over the game world with Edge, the GM still has the power. And NPCs have edge too... The GM's job is to make things fun, and hopefully dealing with the unexpected and throwing the unexpected right back at the PCs is fun. There is no "abuse" unless the GM is too stubborn or slow on his feet to deal with the unexpected. I guarantee you that before edge existed, players were still mucking up slow-thinking GMs by doing things so stupid they weren't ever accounted for, and houseruling edge won't change that. Edge is not a loophole in the system down to the core dice mechanics. Edge is part of the core dice mechanics. If you don't like it, play SR3. Edge is the players' chance to cheat fate and stir things up, which I see as a tool for enjoyment, not abuse. As long as a GM is good, they have the attitude of wanting to see what happens next, not an obsessive need to determine it.
Kremlin KOA
they are very different things
Karma pool was a kind of advantage experience gave... analogous to 'level'

edge represents that kind of luck you just hate people for having
Shrike30
Guys, if Edge breaks your game so much, *take it out.* It's not like that's hard to do... make dice explode on every roll (or none, if you prefer), and make humans a -5 or a -10 point racial choice.

Or you could run like me, and fudge in a reasonable reason for survival when someone takes their Edge roll and does something totally unexpected with it. All of a sudden, that's *armored* glass in the skyscraper window, or what-have-you. Yeah, I keep the big 'ol "GM smackdown of doom" around for when shit gets out of hand, but you know how many times I've used it running SR4? Once.

GM-Player trust needs to exist for the game to be fun. If the trust between the GM and his players exists only because the rules are so highly structured that un-fun things cannot happen, I'd probably want to play something else. I'd much rather give the GM (and the players, with the use of Edge making a lot of things somewhat possible) the kind of creative license that a loosely written rule system provides, and just play with people who trust me to not deny them something the rules only vaguely address just because I want the game to go my way.

If a group doesn't have that kind of relationship, and gets along solely because the rules are so crystal-clear on everything that could possibly happen that there's a book reference for every possible conflict, I wouldn't run or play in that group.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
or magic
or money
or contacts

Yep, but not necessarily from skills. I wasn't trying to say that edge is free, just that it is possible to have high skills and edge, something your statement didn't allow for.
Cain
If you're having to say "no, you can't do that" every time your players use edge you're not the one who is being abusive (unless you're denying them the opportunity to perform valid actions).

According to the RAW, if you forbid them from taking the shot that'll take down a Citymaster with a flechette pistol, you've forbidden them from taking a valid action. They're not necessarily asking for anything outside of what the rules allow. If they're asking for something that the rules are meant to forbid, that's a different matter.

or magic
or money
or contacts

I created a sample character that's floating around here somewhere. Basically, it is possible to create an Edge 8 character who lacks any significant weaknesses in relation to anyone else of that archetype. In fact, you can have a double-specialized character, with one extreme trick and high Edge. And I'm not event *taht* good of a min/maxer.

The way I look at it, a higher level char is going to have a higher rated pool right? So it becomes less likely they'll dip into the negatives than joe average on a difficult situation.

Not necessarily. The cap for most characters is going to be 6, and probably lower than that., depending on concept. That's like saying a higher level character is going to have a higher Body; if you're taking about an Infirm Otaku, that's simply not going to be the case.
I wasn't trying to suggest that a GM needs to decide in advance every single thing the players can and cannot do in order to prevent "abuse." I mean, it's a tabletop game, where the hell do you draw the line between fun and abuse?

That's always a problem. However, if you as a GM need to constantly fix the core mechanics, then the line gets pretty damn thin. I prefer it when the ruleset is robust enough that I never have to get near the line in the first place. I may occasionally have to make a few unfavorable calls, but clear and stable rules make that happen a lot less often.
I wasn't suggesting that any GM pull a "you can't do that," not ever. That's stupid.

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to refer to you. James is the one who's advocating frequent use of the: "Nope, you can't do that" tactic. My apologies.
The Edge system is the tool that players have to make things interesting, to make the GM think fast. The lucky character can do amazing things (a limited number of times), but they cannot take over the game world with Edge, the GM still has the power. And NPCs have edge too... The GM's job is to make things fun, and hopefully dealing with the unexpected and throwing the unexpected right back at the PCs is fun. There is no "abuse" unless the GM is too stubborn or slow on his feet to deal with the unexpected. I guarantee you that before edge existed, players were still mucking up slow-thinking GMs by doing things so stupid they weren't ever accounted for, and houseruling edge won't change that. Edge is not a loophole in the system down to the core dice mechanics. Edge is part of the core dice mechanics.

The problem is, Edge is broken-- I think I've adequately demonstrated that. Especially with the Longshot test rules, but also in the Escape Certain Death trick, the teamwork test trick, and so on. While there's always a way to pull a fast one on a GM, the question is this: How easy is it to do, and how easy is it to fix?

Since Edge is part of the core dice mechanics, as you pointed out, you can break the system without invoking any arcane or obscure rules tied together in mysterious ways. You can break the system just by using the core RAW, no bending or twisting required. That means it's very easy to break SR4, all you need is a high Edge. And since it's part of the core dice mechanics, you can't really fix it without altering the core dice mechanics. You could totally forbid longshot tests, but then you couldn't do "amazing things" with Edge, which you said was the whole goal of it. You could start restricting it, but then you start mucking with the entire power balance of the game, and toss things completely out of whack.

The only workable solution I've seen is to totally abandon fixed TN's and non-exploding dice. And once you've done that, you're pretty much not playing SR4 anymore.
James McMurray
According to the RAW, if you forbid them from taking the shot that'll take down a Citymaster with a flechette pistol, you've forbidden them from taking a valid action.

Not quite. You've forbidden them from taking an action which is allowed in the rules. That doesn't make it a valid action. Saying "I ignore 3 inch thick metal with my pistol because I'm lucky" is an attempt to cheese the system, not an attempt to perform a valid action.

James is the one who's advocating frequent use of the: "Nope, you can't do that" tactic. My apologies.

No, I'm advocating playing a realistic game. In a realistic game you don't have to use that line very often because players know that pistol rounds don't punch through 3" thick steel to hit the guy inside just because you're lucky.

The problem is, Edge is broken-- I think I've adequately demonstrated that.

Obviously you think you have. And just as obviously you haven't.

Especially with the Longshot test rules, but also in the Escape Certain Death trick, the teamwork test trick, and so on.

What's wrong with that? If a player finds themselves in a situation where they are certain to die, you can either kill the character or let them live and continue the story. The latter choice is almost always the more enjoyable one, unless the player wants their character to die.

That means it's very easy to break SR4, all you need is a high Edge.

And a GM who is willing to let the impossible happen just because you're lucky. And a player willing to try that. Again, it isn't the edge system that's broken in that situation, it's the player.

The only workable solution I've seen is to totally abandon fixed TN's and non-exploding dice.

We went through that already and found a few other options. They weren't your pet option, so you basically ignored them in an attempt to continue hammering home the "need" to go back to floating TNs.

And once you've done that, you're pretty much not playing SR4 anymore.

Which is exactly where you're at, and that works for you. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 19 2006, 01:19 AM)
or magic
or money
or contacts

Yep, but not necessarily from skills. I wasn't trying to say that edge is free, just that it is possible to have high skills and edge, something your statement didn't allow for.

I was replying to somebody who had implied that high edge = high skills
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012