Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOTA Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shadowmeet
I am looking for some fun, interesting weapons that could be in development by corps, that won't unbalance the game too much.

New guns and gear would be excellent payment, or excellent basis for runs. Just wondering if anyone here has come up with any good stuff that they have tested and works well.
ronin3338
One of my fav's that we created in SR3 was a troll-sized holdout pistol, that was melee hardened and functioned as brass knuckles as well. It was the "squeeze" type hold-out, used HP ammo but LP range, and said "HCUO" across the knuckles.

Crap, I typed all this and realized you're looking for weapons that a corp hopes to put in production. For that, look at the OICW and some of the Metalstorm weapons. I don't have links, but if your search fu is strong, you will find your path.
Dissonance
I'm a little amused that the XM8 actually made it into SR4. As far as experimentals go, I'd suggest doing what Ronin said and going with the MS tech. Something a lot like the SF pistol, except upgraded into AR form.

Maybe reintroduce the ultra-high firing rate from CC.

Also, it's kind of hard to beat laser weapons for sheer awesome.

But if you want to keep _too_ many of these weapons from falling into hands of the players, you could have a few options. Pulling a MGS2 and having them subscribed to the Bad Guys, having them explode upon reaching a certain distance from the home facility, pulling a Deus Ex MIB and having area bombs be standard equipment for your super shocktroopers.
GrinderTheTroll
I've toyed with a pistol/rifle delivery system that shot a "glue-like glob" that would quickly harden and slow down things like people/critters.

I considered tracking "glue damage" like a 3rd condition monitor complete with penalties and when you hit 8+(Body/2) boxes of glue-damage, you would be imobilized. I've also considered this functioning similar to the Glue Strip spells from SR3.
mdynna
Remember the prize in Big D's will about a non-lethal weapon accurate to 100 m. As of the last "canon" mention of this, both Knight Errant and Lone Star were going for the prize but neither had developed anything yet.

If you want to introduce experimental weapons, this is a great plot hook. Although the "non-lethal" part might make it seem "boring", think of all the interesting ways there are to not kill someone. (Aforementioned "glue gun", maybe a "freeze gun", something that shoots boa-like projectiles, some kind of "super-shock" electric weapon...)
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (mdynna)
Remember the prize in Big D's will about a non-lethal weapon accurate to 100 m. As of the last "canon" mention of this, both Knight Errant and Lone Star were going for the prize but neither had developed anything yet.

If you want to introduce experimental weapons, this is a great plot hook. Although the "non-lethal" part might make it seem "boring", think of all the interesting ways there are to not kill someone. (Aforementioned "glue gun", maybe a "freeze gun", something that shoots boa-like projectiles, some kind of "super-shock" electric weapon...)

Actually, I did not remember that part of the will. Or any part. Where can I find the will? I think I need to read it.
stevebugge
How about one of these:
http://www.whitbourne.demon.co.uk/Image539.gif

Zorg’s specialty weapon of choice is called the "ZF.1" and is not detectable by X-rays. It contains an arsenal of a machine gun, flame thrower [Zorg’s Favorite], net gun, missile launcher, freeze-cannon, and has a special "Replay" function that directs all following fire to a previously hit location.

Not safe for use in anything remotely resembling a serious game silly.gif
mdynna
YES! A Fifth Element refernce, I love that movie! biggrin.gif
mdynna
Complete Will of Dunkelzhan

It'll take you some time to wade through it. If you are interested, this is an excellent link: The Annotated Dunkelzahn's Will, as it gives explanations and (fairly) up to date information about what is going on with the various bequests.
Jaid
a while back, i think there were some posts about a crazy "lightning gun" that could fire a tream of charged particles and then use the path generated to release a large amount of electricity kinda like a flamethrower concept.

i would describe that as being a pretty interesting non-lethal weapon.
ronin3338
Couldn't find a lightning gun... but these might stir up some ideas...

For the DIY'er:
Homemade Sci Fi weapons
Future Horizons

More useful for vehicle/emplacements:
Metalstorm

This should already be available in SR:
PDW

The OICW love.gif
OICW

More ideas (several that go "thunk,scatter,boom")
Defense Industry
Shadowmeet
Hmm Like the Coil Gun, and the Ion Phasor

Very Nice!

The OICW is near orgasmic. Hehe
ronin3338
I love the OICW, however, it appears that it may have stalled or been placed on hold indefinitely.

... and that's all I wanted for Christmas frown.gif
Aaron
Dear Draco Foundation,
    Force 10 Stunbolt.
    One five-pound brick of orichalcum, please.
            Love,
            Aaron
hyzmarca
VXC-772 gas, the newest chemical weapon from the labs of a small Aztechnology subsidiary. While the project was intended to create a deadly nerve agent things did not go as planned. The resulting chemical is described as both the most effective nonlethal agent ever created and perphaps the most popular recreational drug of the next decade.

Instead of incapacitating targets by causing stun damage potentially killing them if overdosed VXC-772 is a powerful aphrodesiac that causes what scientists link to the project have described as "an uncontrolable sexual frenzy".

Characters exposed to the gas have a compelling urge to perform sex acts with the closest available partner(s) regardless of gender, species, or life status. Resisting this urge requires a Willpower (5) test ever combat turn throughout exposure with the threshhold reduced by 1 for every minute after the character has left the presence of the gas until the effects fully dissipate after five minutes.

A -8 dice pool modifer applies to any nonsexual action taken during exposure.

I would recomend not using this in a game full of immature players or descriptive roleplayers (we want details to be a vauge as is possible) and for the love of all that is good and holy do not use it in a LARP.
mfb
QUOTE (Aaron)
Dear Draco Foundation,

Force 10 Stunbolt.
      One five-pound brick of orichalcum, please.

Love,
                              Aaron

stunbolt isn't non-lethal. if you stunbolt someone who's at D stun, you'll deal physical damage to them. do it enough, and you'll kill them.
Voran
I was thinking along the lines of flashing a naked picture of Celine Dion or Joan Rivers, but realized that could be lethal as well.
Aaron
QUOTE (mfb)
stunbolt isn't non-lethal. if you stunbolt someone who's at D stun, you'll deal physical damage to them. do it enough, and you'll kill them.

That is true. It's actually true of most "non-lethal" weapons.

As a martial arts instructor once said, "There are two kinds of weapons: those that kill, and those that kill with a little more effort."
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ronin3338)
The OICW

The XM29 is antiquated by SR standards. It's just an assault rifle with an attached 6-shot grenade launcher (or GL with an attached AR), a grenadelink and rangefinder, yet even at the most optimistic was going to weigh 14lbs.

The HK MP7 PDW is just a Machine Pistol.
The Jopp
Well, perhaps this might work then.

ARES Shocklance Portable Phaser (ARES SPP)
DV: 8S
AP: Half
Ammo: 10 (Battery)

NOTE: Range as heavy pistol and suffers a -1DV/Range step.

The ARES Shocklance is a product developed from its earlier success in the Firelance weapon system. The “Phaser” fires a low yield laser pulse that leads a powerful electric shock to its target up to 60 meter away, removing the need for either capacitator darts or wires.

ARES are still developing the product and hope for a weapon that can reach beyond the 100 meter barrier. The shocklance has one drawback and that is like the Firelance it requires a quite large backpack to power both the laser and the enough energy to incapacitate the target.
neko128
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 7 2006, 12:41 AM)

That is true. It's actually true of most "non-lethal" weapons.

As a martial arts instructor once said, "There are two kinds of weapons: those that kill, and those that kill with a little more effort."

Good quote. smile.gif

Also, Stunbolts have the disadvantage of being usable only by a very small portion of the population.
stevebugge
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Well, perhaps this might work then.

ARES Shocklance Portable Phaser (ARES SPP)
DV: 8S
AP: Half
Ammo: 10 (Battery)

NOTE: Range as heavy pistol and suffers a -1DV/Range step.

The ARES Shocklance is a product developed from its earlier success in the Firelance weapon system. The “Phaser” fires a low yield laser pulse that leads a powerful electric shock to its target up to 60 meter away, removing the need for either capacitator darts or wires.

ARES are still developing the product and hope for a weapon that can reach beyond the 100 meter barrier. The shocklance has one drawback and that is like the Firelance it requires a quite large backpack to power both the laser and the enough energy to incapacitate the target.

Warning may be fatal to anyone with a pacemaker or wired reflexes biggrin.gif
ronin3338
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

Yeah, but it's a really shiny, well-made machine pistol. biggrin.gif

I know what you're saying, but honestly, weapons are getting more sophisticated now and most of the cutting edge tech has already been represented in SR somewhere. And the really high-tech stuff (phasers, lightning guns, ion pistols) I don't see as being all that practical. I think that the weapons in development would simply be advancements on existing platforms (more ammo, less weight, more sophisticated smartguns, etc.)

BTW: I never liked the lasers in SR. I think that without a "fusion cell" or something like that, any high energy output weapon is going to be an emplaced or vehicle weapon. Either that, or it's like the lasers in Akira, with big battery packs, slow recharge, and finicky about how it's handled. I only use them in my games as an R&D prototype, not as an issued support weapon.
Shadowmeet
Sort of like the energy guns in the Deathstalker series. After firing, they took several minutes to recharge. By the time they were finished, combat was usually over.

So, they devestated in the initial blast, but after that, were useless.

And in the books, this was actually a change they made on purpose. Back centuries before, they had energy guns that could fire all damn day long. But the Empire felt they were too much a risk. After time, most of the old ones were destroyed.

But, fiction aside, I suppose it could be designed so that it fires off a single shot of devestating power, and then is useless for some time.

If it is tested on a SR, and then the report decides it is not worth investing in, or perhaps needs further work, it can open more adventures for the players.
Butterblume
QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 7 2006, 06:49 AM)

Yeah, but it's a really shiny, well-made machine pistol. biggrin.gif

Yeah, and a laser is just a slightly more complex radio transmitter wink.gif.
Austere Emancipator
The only thing that truly distinguishes the MP7 from a host of ofter similar weapons (Brügger & Thomet MP9, Skorpion, etc.) is the caliber, and that's not necessarily a good thing. There's nothing particularly complex about, except perhaps the gas piston, which is more common in long arms, as opposed to blowback operation, which is more common in other machine pistols.
ronin3338
OK, you found me out. I just like H&K.

I figure, if I keep endorsing their products, maybe they'll give me one. biggrin.gif
Butterblume
I'm not into guns, but i don't think there were that many major advancements in firearm design since the second world war.

The MP7 is only another Machine pistol, but personally i think it's a neat design.
hyzmarca
There most certainly have been major advancements. Polymer frames, electrical and ignition are just two examples. It is just that there haven't been any revolutionary advancements. A SOTA gun today isn't significantly more deadly than a similar weapon from WWII.
Eddie Furious
The only thing that truly distinguishes the MP7 from a host of ofter similar weapons (Brügger & Thomet MP9, Skorpion, etc.) is the caliber, and that's not necessarily a good thing. There's nothing particularly complex about, except perhaps the gas piston, which is more common in long arms, as opposed to blowback operation, which is more common in other machine pistols.

And the fact that it uses a gas piston return rod to keep the weapon clean and very reliable while helping with a little bit of accuraccy as less gas is used in the piston than a more conventionally designed gas operated weapon system.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)

... ohplease.gif

Fine, you get to carry it.
Eddie Furious
By the way, I have made a few, but you would most likelt find them rather pedestrian and unimaginative.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Apr 7 2006, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Apr 6 2006, 08:51 PM)

... ohplease.gif

Fine, you get to carry it.

Not a problem. I'm a huge MF.
I'm 6'6" and 320 lbs. I can carry a hell of a lot, due a lot to the pipe I hauled when I was doing pipe welding for oil rigs.

Loaded, the gun is what, 16 pounds.
Austere Emancipator
It's not just big. It's too complex, too expensive, and far too ineffective. Did any part of the XM29 live up to the expectations?

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
And the fact that it uses a gas piston return rod to keep the weapon clean and very reliable while helping with a little bit of accuraccy as less gas is used in the piston than a more conventionally designed gas operated weapon system.

I can understand the reliability (might get a MRBF several thousand higher than a blowback machine pistol), and indirect gas operation does allow for slightly better accuracy -- although, considering the other limitations to the effective ranges of these weapons, it might not help much -- but why would an AR-18 or G36 -style gas piston make a firearm inherently more accurate than, say, AK-style gas operation?
Raygun
More advancements since WWII: Computer-aided design and production. It changed everything, including small arms. Production techniques such as investment casting and metal injection molding... definitely the use of polymers, bullet design (HPBT, frangible, hollowpoint, tungsten carbide AP, HEIAP...), improved targeting systems (both as far as magnifying optics and holographic/red dot sights, laser rangefinding, etc...), but most importantly, improved fighting techniques and training.
stevebugge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There most certainly have been major advancements. Polymer frames, electrical and ignition are just two examples. It is just that there haven't been any revolutionary advancements. A SOTA gun today isn't significantly more deadly than a similar weapon from WWII.

I think the basic point is that guns today (and apparently in 2070) still propel a metal slug at high velocity using a chemical explosive, albeit a bit more effiently, pretty much as they did in 1942. The basic delivery instrument of kinetic energy to the human body hasn't changed much. Keeping this in mind would the State of the Art gun in 2070 have changed that much? Or another way of looking at it is would technology have improved enough that totally impractical ideas today become feasible in 65 years, like a man portable railgun (Ala the movie Eraser) or energy beam or pulse weapons (apparently in Quantum physics light can act like either an energy or a particle depending on circumstances) or a compressed air blast weapon. Some of these ideas are already touched on in various expansions (Ares MP lasers, the whole Squirt series of weapons, the ELD AR (paintball anyone?), that mircowave pain gun, the sonic blaster in SOTA 2063 (or was it SOTA 2064).
emo samurai
The thing is, though, that if guns become too powerful, they rip your arm off or otherwise injure you. So even if they could make them more powerful, such guns would be useless.

On a side note, a 5 pound block of orihalcum would save about 2000 karma points and allow you to bond a force 250 power focus. Granted, designing the thing would take, like, 500 years.
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 7 2006, 02:58 PM)
The thing is, though, that if guns become too powerful, they rip your arm off or otherwise injure you. So even if they could make them more powerful, such guns would be useless.

On a side note, a 5 pound block of orihalcum would save about 2000 karma points and allow you to bond a force 250 power focus. Granted, designing the thing would take, like, 500 years.

The GM would run you down with his Fiat (assuming it wasn't in the shop) long before then.
Shrike30
I think the trick is to make the gun more powerful, but only to the point where it doesn't quite rip your arm off. Then you're in fat city.
Austere Emancipator
They've done that already. Somehow they didn't manage to catch on.
Raygun
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
I'm 6'6" and 320 lbs. I can carry a hell of a lot, due a lot to the pipe I hauled when I was doing pipe welding for oil rigs.

It's not the weight that's the (only) problem. It's the bulkiness of it. It's just plain unwieldy, I don't care how much pipe you've hauled. wink.gif

I can understand the reliability (might get a MRBF several thousand higher than a blowback machine pistol), and indirect gas operation does allow for slightly better accuracy -- although, considering the other limitations to the effective ranges of these weapons, it might not help much --

Did you mean direct gas operation? For all its faults, direct impingement tends to offer better accuracy than piston-operated systems.

but why would an AR-18 or G36 -style gas piston make a firearm inherently more accurate than, say, AK-style gas operation?

Because long stroke systems tend to be greatly over-gassed. Without a sufficient way to control pressure in the cylinder, this tends to put stress on the barrel just as the bullet is exiting. That's part of the reason why the AK design is considered to deliver relatively poor accuracy, but excellent reliability.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)

It's not the weight that's the (only) problem. It's the bulkiness of it. It's just plain unweildy, I don't care how much pipe you've hauled. wink.gif

It may be true that it is unweidly, but I'd actually have to haul it around to state to that fact. But, it's sort of funny that you think I wouldn't be used to unweildy and yet you mention pipe. Haul pipe for a few months, and you understand heavy, and unweildy. I mean, these are single and dubble walled steel tubes, sometimes inches wide, sometimes feet.

Now, I do understand that it would not be a gun that just anyone could use. But I like the look, and I feel I could deal with the weight, and the bulk of it.

Now, I might not be able to deal with bulkiness and recoil at the same time, but it would depend on the guns recoil, the grip I could get, etc. And I'd need to physically try it before I could judge it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
Did you mean direct gas operation?

I meant compared to blowback guns, like the B+T MP9. I figured a system like that might have a bit more trouble locking up the exact same way every time.

QUOTE (Raygun)
Because long stroke systems tend to be greatly over-gassed. Without a sufficient way to control pressure in the cylinder, this tends to put stress on the barrel just as the bullet is exiting. That's part of the reason why the AK design is considered to deliver relatively poor accuracy, but excellent reliability.

The stroke on an AK-47 doesn't look that much longer than on, say, an AR-18. In both, the distance from where the head of the piston rests to where the gas is vented is around the same. In fact, if I'm reading the schematics right, if you go by the first hole in the AK gas tube, the stroke on the AK is a bit shorter, at something like 30mm-40mm (varies by model) vs ~50mm. For all I know, the small holes in the AK gas tube might release the gases slower than the AR-18 vent and cause the effect you described, but the piston stroke ("portion of time when combustion gases contact the piston head prior to venting") doesn't seem any longer.

[Edit]Been trying to wrap my head around this... Let's say there's 130mm of barrel on an AR-18 in front of the gas tap. The velocity of the bullet for these last 130mm of the barrel averages at somewhere around ~850m/s (~2800fps). AFAICT, the piston cannot safely move at even 1/50th this velocity or you'd get all sorts of bad shit happening, so at the most the piston could have moved back ~7-8mm before the bullet leaves the barrel. In other words, with just about any gas piston and tube design, no pressure is released out of the cylinder before the bullet has already cleared the muzzle. Or have I got this all wrong?[/Edit]

QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
Now, I might not be able to deal with bulkiness and recoil at the same time, but it would depend on the guns recoil, the grip I could get, etc.

The rifle part of the XM29 minimal recoil -- it's a short-barreled, gas operated 5.56x45mm rifle attached to a 12lb pile of junk. The grenade launcher might have a bit of a shove, but a lot less than your average 2-3/4" 12G.

As for bulk, which do you think you could easier swing around to accurately engage the target: you wielding this or the enemy wielding this?
Raygun
QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Apr 8 2006, 12:23 AM)
It may be true that it is unweidly, but I'd actually have to haul it around to state to that fact.

No, you really don't. All you have to do is know how much the thing weighs, then look at it. Compared to say, an M16A2 with an M203 attached, it's going to be about a 9 on the unwieldy scale.

But, it's sort of funny that you think I wouldn't be used to unweildy and yet you mention pipe. Haul pipe for a few months, and you understand heavy, and unweildy. I mean, these are single and dubble walled steel tubes, sometimes inches wide, sometimes feet.

It's one thing to haul a bunch of shit around and be okay with hauling it. It's quite something else to haul all that shit around and shoot decently during the act or directly afterwards. You'll be accomplishing the shooting part much better with a rifle that doesn't get in your way quite so much. Hell, some machine guns aren't as bulky as the OICW was. Other than the complexity, cost and ineffectiveness of it, that was why the OICW tanked.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 7 2006, 06:37 PM)

I must get one of those.

QUOTE (stevebugge)
I think the basic point is that guns today (and apparently in 2070) still propel a metal slug at high velocity using a chemical explosive, albeit a bit more effiently, pretty much as they did in 1942. The basic delivery instrument of kinetic energy to the human body hasn't changed much. Keeping this in mind would the State of the Art gun in 2070 have changed that much? Or another way of looking at it is would technology have improved enough that totally impractical ideas today become feasible in 65 years, like a man portable railgun (Ala the movie Eraser) or energy beam or pulse weapons (apparently in Quantum physics light can act like either an energy or a particle depending on circumstances) or a compressed air blast weapon. Some of these ideas are already touched on in various expansions (Ares MP lasers, the whole Squirt series of weapons, the ELD AR (paintball anyone?), that mircowave pain gun, the sonic blaster in SOTA 2063 (or was it SOTA 2064).

The two greatest revolutionary firearm innovations were breech loading and the brass cartrige with the magazine, the cylinder, and automatic operation following in some arbitrary order.

The reason I make this claim is quite simple. The purpose of a firearm is to put a hole in a target. These innovations made it possible to put more holes in more targets more quickly than ever before and we haven't been able to improve upon them too much. We've been able to refine them, yes, but have not yet surpassed them and probably never will.

Portable rail guns are simply because they aren't going to make more holes or bigger holes compared to conventional man portable weapons up until you start shooting at tanks and that is debatable. It is difficult to measure the potential armor penetrating abilities of a weapon that does not exist. The ammo will be lighter and smaller without propellent but the giant battery pack poses a problem.
Likewise, lasers aren't too usefull when it comes to mankilling. They're nice for shooting down ballistic milliles, though.

The Ares MP Laser, the EldAr, and the microwave pain gun are all gimic weapons. They do their thing well but they are ultimatly unreliable. The MP laser's battery is far too small, the pain gun can be resisted, and chemical rounds aren't so useful against people at MOP lever 1 or greater.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The two greatest revolutionary firearm innovations were breech loading and the brass cartrige with the magazine, the cylinder, and automatic operation following in some arbitrary order.

Surely rifling should be in the top three?
hyzmarca
Rifling never provided much benefit to shotguns. But yes, its omission was an error on my part.

ronin3338
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 7 2006, 06:37 PM)

I remember seeing those a few years ago. It was SS, bolt-action, and weighed about 14 pounds. On the upside, that weight worked wonders for recoil compensation, to the point where you hardly felt any at all.

One of my friends said, "It's single shot. While you're working the bolt, they'd gun you down!"

I said, "If someone pulls this out in a firefight, who the hell would stay to shoot back?" biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ronin3338)
On the upside, that weight worked wonders for recoil compensation, to the point where you hardly felt any at all.

Not really. Considering that an M82 (much higher muzzle velocity, but also a much heftier muzzle brake, and a form of operation that reduces felt recoil significantly) is often said to have about as hefty a kick as a 12 gauge slug, I would not recommend firing a .50 BMG handgun without taking some precautions. Improper technique could lead to serious trouble.
Raygun
I meant compared to blowback guns, like the B+T MP9. I figured a system like that might have a bit more trouble locking up the exact same way every time.

Oh, duh. (The MP9 is recoil operated with a rotating barrel; but I get you anyway). There are so few pistol-caliber, gas piston operated firearms that I think it would be pretty difficult to say that the piston-operated platform offers better accuracy. In the case of the MP7, I'd say it's the cartridge more than anything else. I don't think I've seen any accuracy testing figures comparing the P90 to the MP7, have you?

Between rifles using the same cartridge with different forms of operation (short/long stroke gas piston, direct gas impingement, delayed blowback), direct impingement and delayed blowback tend to be the most accurate of them. That's what I was getting at.

The stroke on an AK-47 doesn't look that much longer than on, say, an AR-18. In both, the distance from where the head of the piston rests to where the gas is vented is around the same. In fact, if I'm reading the schematics right, if you go by the first hole in the AK gas tube, the stroke on the AK is a bit shorter, at something like 30mm-40mm (varies by model) vs ~50mm. For all I know, the small holes in the AK gas tube might release the gases slower than the AR-18 vent and cause the effect you described, but the piston stroke ("portion of time when combustion gases contact the piston head prior to venting") doesn't seem any longer.

The exhaust ports have nothing to do with it. Once the piston passes those exhaust ports in the AK or AR-18 cylinders, the bullet is well out of the barrel and the bolt is unlocked. All those ports do is keep the piston/bolt carrier from continuing to accelerate.

It has to do with how fast gas is tapped into the cylinder from the barrel, as well as the fact that the reciprocating mass of a long stroke system tends to be heavier than that of a short stroke system (especially AK-based rifles). So, the faster the gas is tapped, the more pressure there is going to be in the cylinder in a shorter amount of time. That pressure is going to push against both the piston head and the front end of the cylinder (which is rigidly attached to the barrel). The more gas that's tapped and the more inertia there is to overcome, the more pressure that's going to be put against the end of the cylinder, causing the barrel to literally bend (a little bit goes a long way) as the bullet is exiting the muzzle. This is why the G36 has an exhaust port at the end of the cylinder directly opposite the piston; it allows the system to self-regulate and prevents the barrel from being stressed excessively.

Obviously, some excess of pressure is built into most unregulated gas systems so that the firearm will function reliably under adverse conditions (this is where Kalashnikov decided to go a bit crazy). It's not beyond possibility that a short stroke system could suffer from the same problems; it's also possible that by careful design, the problem could be mitigated in a long stroke system (like the SG550, for example). Direct impingement systems aren't as dramatically affected by this, and blowback or delayed blowback systems aren't affected at all.

Another thing the short stroke system has over the long stroke is that the piston rod doesn't reciprocate the full distance of the bolt carrier (hence short stroke), so not only does there tend to be less reciprocating mass total, the piston rod doesn't shift what mass it has to the rear as far. That tends to make them a bit more accurate in automatic fire or allow the shooter to recover a little quicker in semi-auto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012