Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More classic Plastic Rat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Question Man
Plastic Rat

I'm working on a revision of my quick guides to the rules in spare time, and one of the biggest changes is making them 2 pages each. Reason for this is the first page is an in game flavour piece to nicely mesh the rules with the actual story. Second page is the bare bones rules you might need to reference.

Here's the complete first page on Healing and the Semi complete one on Combat tactics. I'll try dump them to a site when the next three are done. Anyone interested in hosting them for me?

Plastic Rat’s guide to helping your fellow runner.

I can remember a song my grand-mother once sang to me. (Yeah, contrary to popular belief, the Plastic Rat had a grandmother and a mother -- the things you find out…) The song said something like Everybody hurts or something like that, and man, is that true of life on the street today! There are a million and one things waiting out there to hurt you real bad, many of them armor piercing. You could take a round walking to the corner Stuffer Shack just as easily as you could from a corp security guard who didn’t like your face. Life’s tough. Deal with it, chummer.

So, for all you runners out there who haven’t yet seen your first sucking chest wound, old Plastic Rat’s got some vital data for ya. First off, let’s start by looking at the classifications the medical community has for different types of wounds.

First off, Stun. Stun can be anything from the peaceful, quiet, zoned-out feeling you have after picking up a solid one from a troll fist, to the sparkling blue lights and nausea you get from being chased through too many back alleys by the fuzz. Even the drained half-dead feeling I hear that spellworms get after chucking one too many fireballs is classified as stun.

Problem is, chummer, take too much of a beating from stun wounds, and you are down and out for the count. Plus, if previously mentioned troll should pummel you for more than your fragile little self can handle, the stun flows over to become a physical wound.

As of yet, there is no known medical technique or spell that takes away stun. Only thing that works is taking it easy. Exchanging high velocity ammunition with your local gang is no way to work off that splitting headache, just good solid quiet rest. So deal with it.

Second off, physical. Physical damage is the stuff that’s hard to hide. Busted ribs, open bleeding wounds, bruising that goes that amazing colour you never thought your body could actually show without a nano-tatoo. These fortunately you can do something about. Your first line of defence is the bog standard medikit and someone who knows which end to stick into the patient. Don’t bother trying to patch Jimbo up without one of these. You ever heard of top surgeons doing an entire heart bypass with a rusty spoon? Well, what makes you think you’re gonna help anyone with the contents of your backpack and some navel lint? Right… So Lesson One: Carry a medikit and make sure someone around at least knows how to open it.

So, you’re out of medical supplies, and the team’s brick is bleeding to death under a girder. You have one other option. If you’re lucky enough to have your own pet spellslinger, pray that the drekball has a healing or treat spell.

Now that brings us to a little hint from yours truly. No, don’t worry, this one’s a freebie. If you have access to both options, use the medikit first. Reason being, magic always takes the easiest way out. If you use magic first, it heals up all the easy stuff and seals most wounds closed. After that you’re up the proverbial creek with your trusty medikit. Plus, using your basic mundane biotech first will make it easier on your spellworm when he casts his mojo and it won’t drain him as much. Neat, huh?

Third off, and lastly, for all those budding medics out there: Yes, we know you’ve sewn bits of runner together in the middle of a gang-war while exchanging fire with the Star and smoking a cigarette at the same time, but ask yourself this: Wouldn’t it have been so much easier to get your patient into cleaner, quieter surroundings where he isn’t at risk from tetanus and you don’t have to listen to sirens and duck bullets? As long as he hits the bandages within an hour of his ‘accident’ before everything clogs and sets, you’re safe. So, when your patient drops, try get him to a better location before you break out the bone cutter -- he’ll thank you in the long run.

----------------------------

Plastic Rat’s guide to Combat Tactics

(NOTE: GM’s. You may want to familiarise yourselves properly with this data before handing it out to players.)

Heads up chummers, this data comes to you at the combined cost of innumerable limbs, bullet wounds, facial reconstructions, skin transplants, numerous runner deaths (Cairn Rain, you will always be remembered) and the deaths of exactly three trained Devil Rats, (another escaped with minor wounds). Their losses are noted. Use this data wisely.

Discuss these points with your team members on the best possible means to implement them in combat. If used incorrectly they can result in injury and death. These ideas should not be tried at home. Aztechnology’s back yard? … Now that’s a different story!

Suppressive Fire.
A well trained machine gunner can deny an area to an enemy. Cause havoc on compromised enemy positions and cover team mates very effectively using suppressive fire. The basic idea is to put so much lead* into an area that it becomes impossible to enter the area. DO NOT aim for individual targets. Turning a set area into a death zone is your prerogative.
Suppressive Fire also works well on areas already containing enemies, as it is up to the enemy to remove themselves from said area under a hail of fire. Obviously the more munitions expended upon the area, the more effective your Suppressing Fire. Likewise also, the smaller the area, the greater the concentration of fire. Combined force of arms with team mates can also work wonders.

Ideal locations are; alleyways, corridors, doorways, machine gun nests and the interiors of vehicles.

Searching Fire
This is simple. Required: One full-auto capable weapon and one target, usually in hiding. When you don’t know the exact location of your target either due to low visibility or extremely light cover, the Searching Fire tactic is your best friend. You of course need a rough idea of the location of your target, firing in the opposite direction will only result in a reduction of your street-cred. Arc the fire of your automatic weapon out over the area you suspect to be inhabited by your target, preferably moving back and forth. If used correctly this can severely ruin any hidden targets day. If you hear sounds of pain, concentrate your fire there. The more ammunition poured into the area, the higher your chance of hitting something. Make highly certain that the area does not contain any of your team mates. (Yup, this is where the Devil Rats came in.)

Ideal locations are; badly lit areas, smoke filled areas, places with lots of light cover e.g. wharehouses and the hall of mirrors at your local fair.

*Or depleted uranium, flechetes, volatile chemicals etc. Just use your imagination.

Still to be added.

- Suppressive fire
- Searching fire
- Throwing back grenades
- Smoke grenades
- Small unit tactics
- Athletics and dodging
- Cover
- Camouflage
- Surprise and Ambushes
- Sniping

-------------
Please let me know what you think, good idea, bad idea, anything else that should be added.
______
UNLEASH YOUR INNER ABILITIES!

Lorka

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 27, 2003 3:54 AM

Ooohh very very nice.

I am about to start on a whole new campaing (loosly based on brainscan) with some new and some old SR roleplayers.
Stuff like this is gold for newbies (and I am sad to say: some of the vets aswell).

Zazen

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 27, 2003 11:20 PM

These are great. Lets see the rest of that tactics guide!

How many FADGs do you have now? I have these six:
Astral Combat
Combat
Conjuring
Decking
Magic
Healing

and I'd really love to score any new ones or updates to the old ones.
______
Learn to an active reader.
You were the felt the need to think I had done so on accident and to have done so 3 times.

Dogsoup

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 27, 2003 11:46 PM

Plastic Rat wrote:
...and the deaths of exactly three trained Devil Rats, (another escaped with minor wounds).

Whoa! Was this a way cool/screwy convention adventure or something? If not; Someone ought to make it to!

______
We got some good news this morning from Fairisle electronics. The defense department has just given them the go-ahead to massproduce the new Mark XIII cyborg and as a result, 800 wonderful new jobs will be created on the main assembly line. So get your unemployed asses on down to Fairisle electronics and get yourselves a job!

Lindt

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 28, 2003 1:24 PM

Oooo handy dandy cheat sheets. Do you have any of these posted anywhere?
______
Everything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

King Chrome

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 28, 2003 3:14 PM

Where could I get the old FADGs from Plastic Rat?

Fortune

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Jan 28, 2003 6:18 PM

You might as well wait for the new ones.

Looking good, Plastic Rat. I'll comment more when I have a spare couple of minutes.
______
Carpe Diem. Carpe Noctum. Carpe Ingram!

Zazen

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Feb 21, 2003 3:08 AM

How's this going, PR?
______
Learn to an active reader.
You were the felt the need to think I had done so on accident and to have done so 3 times.

Flames

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Feb 21, 2003 3:17 AM

too good to pass up. It makes me want to get up and finish the project my friend started about Tucson and Aztlan in the shadowrun world. Pretty fun coming up with stuff like that.
oh yeah. Keep up that good work! it is too good to pass up.

______
Mr. Johnson: I will pay you and each team member 5k for this job.
PC to the other runners later: Mr. Johnson said he'll pay us each 3k for the job.

Welcome to the shadows.

Crisp

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Feb 21, 2003 3:36 AM

This looks real nice Rat, let us know when you're done with this (and where we can get a copy).

Plastic Rat

Re: Plastic Rat's FADG's ver 2.0 (LOOONG post) Posted: Feb 21, 2003 4:22 AM

Crisp wrote:
This looks real nice Rat, let us know when you're done with this (and where we can get a copy).

If it wasn't for the fact that I was forced to flay the skin of off three of my co-workers this week due to idiocy, I'd probably have finnished them. AH seems happy to put them on his site. My boss also says I can happily put a site up on the company servers.

Should take me a few hours to make a quick HTML page linking all the downloads.

*stamps forehead with "Must Complete guides this weekend!"*

P.s. Anyone have any ideas on how to brighten them up with low key graphics anywhere? I'm don't want to use the SR logo, as it would breach copyright, but I need something to make them look cool.

----------------
Plastic Rat
"The beatings will continue untill morale improves."
______
Our System Administrator?
I'm sorry, he was electrocuted while working on some network cables near the main power cable. Unfortunately the SysAdmin's body is the only thing currently conducting power to the building and the management has decided to board the body up and pretend they still have a SysAdmin.

Domino

You can use the logo as long as you follow the guidelines on the SR main page. Other than that I have no clue. Except for being proficient at installing hardware the computer is a nice shiny box with buttons.

Drain Brain
I think they are great, Rat, and if I had a web page, I'd host them for you.

But I don't.

So I can't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012