Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: The League of Justice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
nick012000
Basically, this is a game where the players play members of the League of Justice, a superhero group, who is busy trying to clean up the streets of Seattle.

Character creation rules:
  • 470 build points, 70 of which must me spent on magical or technomantic abilities
  • No availability restrictions
  • No limit on BPs spend on resources
  • All characters receive Amazing Man (Connection 6), the founder of the Justice League, as a Loyalty 2 contact for free. You may increase the loyalty with further BP expendature.
  • Similarly, the Justice League owns the Justice Hall, a group Luxury lifestyle for free. It is based out of the top several floors of a skyscraper downtown, and includes space for the heros' magical lodges, as well as a fully-kitted out gym, and an armory to store your equipment in.
  • You may integrate any peice of armor in your super suit, and you may enchant it as any number of foci. Everyone should have a super suit, with the bare minimum being something like what The Punisher has.
  • While you can play hermetic magicians or shamans, use of the Superhero tradition (as explained below) is encouraged.
The Superhero Tradition
Concept: Whether through eldritch awakenings, claimed alien visitations, or exposure to toxic waste, superheros have powers beyond those of mundane metahumanity, and use them for good.
Combat: Beast
Detection: Air
Health: Fire
Illusion: Water
Manipulation: Man
Drain: Charisma + Willpower
Rokur
SWEET! I love comics, and shadowrun, about time someone put the two together.... (I play City of Heroes/villains tooo.... but sr4 is cooler)

I'd like to maybe make a J'onn Jonz, with psychic powers, and shapechanging.
Or maybe a cable type, with telekinesis powers, psychic powers, good with violent weapons, but with a T-O mesh (read:cyberware) eating away at his body and his powers, you know the one full obvious cyberarm! kick ass!
Callidus
Very very tempted too *8-> not sure what I'd play...... probably a brick of some type *8-> I'll see what I can whip up, only downside is although I got sr4 BBB haven't had much of a chance to read it yet so might be dodgy on what I think I can do.....
Callidus
Question about the 70 points for magic..... is it just for tradition and force points or can it be used to increase you magic attribute?
Thanee
Do you guys know Champions or Mutants & Masterminds?

Definitely worth a look, if you like superhero games. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Gretik
Try marvel too - good fun and diceless.
Callidus
Champions is a great game, although seriously open to abuse of the character creation rules but great fun, especially if your playing an anti-hero to the rest of the team's superhero mentality *8->
nick012000
Callidus: Anything magic related. Magic Attribute, spells, certain qualities, bound spirits, focus bonding, etc.

Thanee: Yeah, I've heard about those, but SR works just as well. wink.gif
Bearclaw
Wow, this sounds like a blast.
I've got so many ideas I can't even give you a basic idea of what I want yet. I'll make a few and see what I like best smile.gif
Bearclaw
OK, I'm thinking Snow Miser (or some better name if I can find one).

Powers (spells):
Ice Sheet - Ice Sheet
Wall of Ice - Phsical Barrier
Ice Spear - Power Bolt
Snow Ball - Blast
Snow Storm - Chaotic World
Body of Ice - Improved Invisibility
Flying (because a superhero should fly) - Levitate
nick012000
That sounds fine, Bearclaw.

Additional houserules:
  • Edge can't be burned to avert certain death. Instead, it is spent (not burned) to heal a number of damage boxes (on all tracks) equal to your Edge. If you're still dead (overdamage>Body), you're still dead. If you're in Physical overdamage but not dead afterwards, you stabilize automatically. So if you have 6 Edge, 8 boxes of Stun damage, 6 boxes of Matrix damage, and 3 boxes of Physical Damage, you only have 2 Stun boxes left afterwards.
  • Mystic Adepts count their full magic towards the Force of the spells they can cast; they just roll less dice on Magic-based tests.
  • Technomancer Complex Forms have Ratings equal to their Resonance, and cost 3 bp at chargen and 5 Karma afterwards.
Callidus
Cool, got an outline for a mystic adept 'Brick' type, think a more subtle Hulk or Thing just trying to finish up the points distrib and gear but he's going to, hopefully, have Increase Reflexes, Increase Agility and Increase Reaction as spells, prolly 2 or 3 sustaining foci, a weapon foci and be HtH and Hvy weps..... should be able to soak a lot of damage and is following Bear for the fun of Berserking on anyone who hurts one of the team *8->
Rokur
Ok, so i'm working on a thor-ish mystic adept. Strong, good with a hammer, and is lord of lightning. So, quick question.... there is no Canon rules for a Hammer, but mjolnir is clearly a mystic hammer (read: weapon focus). So, can we maybe house rule a hammer???

PS - you think Thor would be an ork or a dwarf?
Callidus
I'd have said Human, but that's biased by Marvel..... prolly an ork of the two, but again that's me *8->

*impression of dwarf at your stomach height yelling I'm Thor, God of Thunder* *8-> again me but i like it
Rokur
QUOTE (Callidus)
I'd have said Human, but that's biased by Marvel..... prolly an ork of the two, but again that's me *8->

*impression of dwarf at your stomach height yelling I'm Thor, God of Thunder* *8-> again me but i like it

well, i was thinking for the times when he had that long beard, and the scruffy look and stuff.
nick012000
Well, I'll point out here that a hacker would come in quite handy for the team.

As for a hammer... I'd say it would use the Clubs skill, with (Str/2)+2 Physical damage, and no AP. Costs the same as a sword.
Callidus
That's true Rokur then prolly dorf, solid and scary hammer wielding *8->
Callidus
Okay got an outline (ie the numbers) of a character. Would you prefer me to post it here or pm to you Nick? Working on background and so on, his gonna be a bit Hulk like *8->
Nightshade-
I'm new to this site so bare with me please. I created a SR Superhero 14 years ago called the Knight. (The GM chose that name. That's what the public began to call him before he had announced an official name, and so the character kept it.) Is this just a make a character and send it to someone or is it an online game? If it's an online game please let me know how to play.

The character was an assassin with a death tole in the thousands who had a moment of conscience when he killed an entire town through biological poison just to kill a target that was frustrating the hell out of him, and he couldn't find him but knew he was in the town. After walking through the town and seeing the women and children he killed he couldn't believe what he had done. So, he returned to Houston to find that a Superhero had taken a roll in making the streets safe and Nightshade hunted him down and joined him in his fight. He created a costume (Which I have drawn many times.) and became a crimefighter and defender of the people. He doesn't fight for honor, or redemption, nor a sense of right, or karma. He is a lot like Batman in ways but fights out of anguish for what he has done. He fights because he owes those that he has killed.
Rokur
OK i just finished a char sheet for this and noticed that i didn't see an e-mail... mayhaps i missed it...

But, char's name is Throx... He's a Dwarven mystic adept who carries a large hammer, and has some command over the elements. Tough guy who is nimble and hard to hit, from his magical abilities and his body armor of the gods. His Hammer, memranj, is also a mystical gift of the gods.

Complete list of powers -
Forces of Lightning - (Lightning Bolt, Ball lightning)
Force of thunder - (Shatter)
Fly - (levitate)
Laying on of Hands - (heal)
Purifying Rain - (Detox)
Focus of mind - (Combat Sense)
Focus of body - (Increase reflexes)

Also has innate powers (adept powers)
Sharpened Instincts (Attribute boost lvl 1 - Reaction)
Strength of Gods (Attribute boost lvl 1 - Strength)
Danger Sense (Combat Sense lvl 3)

Throx talks in old english, claiming glory and nobility for bravery in battle. He has helped save the earth in countless times, and will do so forever. A true believer in the Tradition of the SuperHero... He also follows his mentor, the Thunderbird, as the true god of the skies, and his patron in his path of a Super Hero.
Callidus
Here's the rough outline *8->

He goes by the name Beast chosen by himself after a random UGE event caused him to transform into a troll. Well that's what modern medicine classifies him as. Abnormally large and bulky even for a troll, he's searching for a way to correct the problem but as an old comic book hero of his said on many occasions "With great power comes great responsiblity" and so he has taken up to fight against crime.

Troll mystic adept following Bear with the following powers

Beastly Reactions (Increase Attribute Reactions)
Beastly Agility (Increase Attribute Agility)
Beastly Rage (Increase Reflexes)

Beast Combat (Improved Ability Unarmed combat)
Claw of the Beast (Killing Hands)
Rhino Skin (Mystic Armour 5)
Hamstring (Critical Strike 4)
nick012000
Nightshade: This will be an online game. You'll make your character sheet and PM is to me, and once everyone has I'll start Out of Character (OOC) and In Character (IC) threads. In the IC thread you post what your characters do, and in the OOC thread you post your question and the like out of character. I'll post an online dieroller in the OOC thread for you guys to use.

Callidus: PM the sheet to me.

I hope someone makes a hacker. The game will be a lot harder for you guys without one running Matrix overwatch.
GingerKid
Hey this sounds pretty cool idea. I would like to make a technomancer, Ghost. I have him partially stated out but I need my book to finish him up.
nick012000
Also, I'll allow those of you playing adepts and mystic adepts that I'll allow you to take Geasa as per MitS to reduce PP costs. Mages can take Geasa to reduce Magic loss, though if you break one, you'll suffer -2 on Magic tests per geasa you have.

Also, the following Geas is allowed:
Obviousness: Whether it's a giant flash of light as you cast a spell, growing claws to use an adept ability, or having a horde of bats coalesce into a spirit, your magical powers are much more obvious than others of their type. For adept powers, treat their use as a spell of Force equal to their grade for purposes of Percepotion tests to notice its use. In addition, it leaves behind astral signitures of as spells of said Force. Any other magical abilities have their Force doubled for these purposes when affected by this geas.
pragma
I've got an idea for a stealthy combat technomancer, though it hasn't been statted out yet.

I'm really just rolling the idea of a hero tentatively named The Whisperer. His life was changed during the Crash 2.0 when he was contacted and threatened by a mysterious entity in the Matrix. He awakened as a technomancer; stuck halfway between the matrix and the real world his powers are blessing but a constant reminder of the fact that he is a hunted man. He now does good deeds to remind himself of his humanity and stay one step ahead of his digital demons.

Tough to decide between dwarf, elf and human though. I figure I'll start statting him out and let the points fall where they may.

As a warning, my schedule is very hectic -- so if GingerKid has beaten me on the draw I'm more than happy to let him play and cheer from the bleachers. Let me know what you think.
nick012000
That's fine, pragma.

Folks, send me character sheets!
Divine Virus
Is there still room here folks?
Also, is that 70 build points for magic/techno counted towards the total build points for deturmining how many BPs we can spend on attributes
(i.e. do we get 200 points or 235)
Cheers
Divine Virus
Well, I am still working out details, but unless somthing dramatic happens my character will be along the folowing lines

1) a combination of V (from V for Vendetta) and Yupa Miralda (From Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind), most likely with the mentor spirit of Fire Bearer (bringer?)

2)somthing invloving m0nowire (that stuff seriously disturbs and facinates me....), lets just hope I retain enough sanity to not make a monowhip weapon foci.

3) Maybe a good support character, like somone with with an incredable counterspelling. Just to tick off the evil villians. (whats that? now that you mention it, I DO have 7 ranks in counterspelling)  biggrin.gif Rough ideas still, but a start. I'm hoping to get a good brainstorm.

Cheers and smiles
DV

Well, somthing did happen... new idea.... combining all three.... well, maybe not the middle one, but my god monowire disturbs and facinates me to no end. I'll post more when if find out if there is actually still room in the game
nick012000
Yeah, the limit for attributes is still 200 BP, though, as normal, your special attributes don't count towards that total.
Divine Virus
quick question: How much artistic liscence are we allowed to take? I mean, as long as everything works out mechanically can we say.... give a character orthoskin, but say that it is just supernaturaly tough, and he lost the essence that orthoskin would normally take to an essence drainging critter? (or course the BP for the cost of Orthoskin would still be pain). Thats a very basic example, I ain't planning anything so vulger, but you get the idea, yes?
nick012000
Virus: Cyber is cyber, bioware is bioware. I might let you go with something like a Captain America-style Supersoldier Serum instead of bio, but that's about it.
Divine Virus
kk. that was just an example, I am not actually planning anything like that. I like to know where my bounderies are, what I have to work with.
Divine Virus
What does this team still need? I have reached a crossroad with my character, and I don't know which to take, so I will tailor to what the team needs.
Basically, here is what I have of my character so far. Basically he is a counterspelling powerhouse as it stands.

Mystic Adept (10 BP)
Aptitude (counterspelling) (10 BP)
Counterspelling 7 (32BP)
Counterspelling foci(rating 5): Combat (10 BP with bonding)
Counterspelling foci(rating 5): Detection (10 BP with bonding)
Counterspelling foci(rating 5): Healing (10 BP with bonding)
Counterspelling foci(rating 5): Illusion (10 BP with bonding)
Counterspelling foci(rating 5): Manipulation (10 BP with bonding)
Logic 5 (40BP)
Magic 5 (40 BP)
Total 182 BP

giving me 288 remaining, 160 of which can be spent on my remaining attributes. This Character is based on a stong theme of the mysterious, myth and identity. From this, I have several options.
1) illusion/manipulation mage
2) stealth M. Adept
3) unarmed M. adept
4) unarmed/stealth M.Adept
5) full support character (i.e. healing magic and a crapload of mystic armour)

The thing to consider is that the counterspelling foci take up all the foci make up all the foci I can have active at any given time. Thus I cannot have any sustaining foci, and will have to sustain all the spells myself, a large hinderence considering its illusion/ manipulation I am talking about. So, again I ask, what would be of greatest value to the group?
Rokur
I'd probably do some kind of either support or combat spells.... remember we are superheroes, we still have to be able to stop Nuclear missiles, alien behemoth monsters, giant robots, godzilla, and hostile army invasions as well as the magical stuff.... Unless you like being stephen strange, the perma-magic-balancer guy.
Divine Virus
Unless you like being stephen strange, the perma-magic-balancer guy.

I am not familiar with the Stephen Strange illusion, but yes, the first priorty for the character is to negate the enimies magical capabilities. With a free action I can keep the whole group under my counterspelling protection. I can't really justify combat spells with my character idea, so I don't really consider them an option. (again, a theme of the mysterious, myth and identity)
Callidus
Sounds cool mate *8-> I'm sure my brick'll love you (he's as thick as one *8->)
Divine Virus
lol, I'm sure we will get along famously. right now I am leaning towards dropping the healing counterspelling foci (watch out! he is trying to purge toxins from your system!) to take a sustaining foci instead. burn 2 magic points in PP(attribute boost 2 for each attribute, plus voice control, under geasa). Then pick up levitate, invisability, mod mind control, maybe a stunball. It should be pretty decnet.
Divine Virus
I'm going to have to drop this game. I seem to have complete and utter mental block for making a Superhero character, I just can't finish it and I don't want to hold the game back.
Cheers and smiles
DV
Rokur
@nick - if you're still around... I was thinking of taking a couple geasa and maybe get some ware.... let me know if you're still around tho
Jack O' Knives
Kind of hoping I didn't miss the bus on this one. I'm still getting the SR4 rules down, but this idea is a little too spiffy for me to pass up.

Leaning towards a straightforward "Adept" in the vein of Captain America. A noble and proud UCAS citizen who espouses a strong work ethic, religious practices, and family values. Of course, this is Shadowrun, so the man is obviously a government shill working for a shadowy cabal who will not rest until the UCAS is the dominant power of North America once again...(I'll have to dig up my copy of Threats 2 again)

Of course, the guy is likely to be pretty unpopular in Seattle, what with such a strong NAN, corporate, and metahuman presence within the city. Still, that's part of the concept's fun.
nick012000
Sorry, guys. Got caught up in RL stuff.

Jack o' Knives: You mean the conspiracy to reunite America? Sounds fine. wink.gif

Rokur: That's fine. I'll point out, though, that adepts can't take geasa to reduce their Magic loss, though, just Magicians.
Rokur
oh... heh... hmmm.... then what CAN "mystic adepts" do with geasa? remember... i'm mystic adept.. kinda the halfway inbetween part
nick012000
Youcan geas your adept power for reduced PP costs, and geas magic loss to your spellcasting magic, but only if it is above zero beforehand.
GingerKid
I'm going to have to bow out of this game. Good luck everyone.
Rokur
Well really... I just wanted to have a geasa to my hammer for my "magical" abillities to appear.... you know... without hammer, regular guy by day, but with his enchanted hammer in his hands, he can bring down the fury of the skies, and command the storms etc etc.... it was just so it could be cool...
BlackHat
sounds more liek a fetish/focus than a geas, but that's just this outsider's opinion.
Rokur
well it is already a focus.... but remember for thor, he was a crippled man (lawyer? or something) until he invoked his hammer to come out by tapping on his cane, or whatever.... It's been a while... but you know, the secret alter-identity so he could learn what Human culture truly is like in order to serve his father's wishes.

edit- you know what.. nvm, I think I don't need to do any of that, and leave him as is... Should be lots of fun anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012