Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting for an online SR4 game, runs Thursdays
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
ShadowDragon8685
Is anyone interested in a Run being run by a new DM with at least two new PCs?
Anaro
Could be fun, since I have a feeling that my days of tabletop gaming will be put on indefinite hiatus very soon. Anymore details?
Unrest
Itching hard to try out sr4 and all I can find are message board games, which I hate. Anymore information about this campaign? House rules? Special request?
JonathanC
Color me interested. smile.gif
Wandering_D
I live in Arlington and would be interested in joining a game within an hour drive. I've got 3rd edition and will probably be ordering a copy of 4th shortly. I'm also not opposed to picking up a copy of another system to try.
ShadowDragon8685
Perhaps I should've given more details.

The game is played online. The program we're using is OpenRPG

No need to drive anywhere, Wandering D. smile.gif

The game time projected is 9 PM Thursdays, EST. There might be some wiggle of the time possible, but not much. My schedule's kinda messed up.

The setting projected is Seattle, UCAS, North America, Earth, 2070. smile.gif
The ruleset is SR4.
So far we have a Face, a gun-bunny, an Adept of the Magician's Way who literally can't summon to save his life.
Hacker is a role we vitally need filled, Rigger would be nice. Someone who can summon would be handy.

Please, AIM me if you have other questions.
caramel frappuccino
I'll cobble together a technomancer and drop it in your PM box by the end of the day.

Edit: Actually, it might take longer than that.
Anaro
Check. I'm all over the mage slot. smile.gif
JonathanC
Ack...I just checked the gametime again...I won't be able to make that. Sorry.
caramel frappuccino
Eh, the time actually isn't that convenient for me either. Perhaps next time.
ShadowDragon8685
Oh, I forgot to add.

Character requirements. Besides the "filling the party roles" requirement, I do requite all players to play characters who are generally "good". Nobody who would murder or slaughter indiscriminately, nobody who would kill someone who didn't deserve it, and nobody who's a heartless mercenary. Shadowrunners get Karma, and in my Sixth World, Karma isen't only a measure of your experiance, it's also a measure of what you "have comin' to ya". Characters who're villians get a lot less Karma than characters who're heartless mercenaries, who in turn get a lot less Karma than people who do good deeds as much as is possible.

That's not to say that you're not allowed to be a criminal. Karma won't punish you for bisuness unless your bisuness is outright villiany. You can steal from corps and stuff all you want, and the universe won't bat an eyelid. If you make your living cracking knees for the mob, on the other hand, lady luck will frown upon you.
Anaro
Sure thing.
DarkShadow
I've got an Orc Hacker that I made awhile ago and never had a chance to use. I would love to join.
ShadowDragon8685
Okay. For the record guys, my email may not be the one listed in my profile.

For the record, it's ShadowDragon8685@gmail.com
Anaro
Character fired and awaiting commentary. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Anaro, I got the character. Do you have AIM, by any hopeful chance? I like him.

Also, the current cast of foo - errr - shadows.

JadeFox/Jax as William Johnson (Yes, his name really is Johnson), British ex-MI-5 PhysAd Face.
TyrantSabre: *As yet unnamed* Mundane Gun-Bunny, ex-Corpsec
Anaro as Profit, human Magician (Hermetic).
DarkShadow as Iggsby Oronle, Ork Hacker.

Additionally, to lighten the load on me considerably, everybody's Fixer contact is the same Ork:

Walter Mitchells, Connection rating 3.

Walter is an streetwise Amerindian ork who specializes in the information brokerage trade. His home is in the Ork Underground, but he makes many daily trips to the city above to conduct his everyday business. He has all the definitive traits of a good fixer: a fast tongue, a quick mind, and contacts up the wazoo. Walter's parents were killed by a violent mob during the Night of Rage and he possesses a special hatred for organizations that advocate racist ideals, such as the Humanis policlub, and will often subcontract runners on his short list to make hits on such organizations, paying for their work with money from his own wallet.
Anaro
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Anaro, I got the character. Do you have AIM, by any hopeful chance? I like him.

Yup, my screen name is umbra ex machina.

Incidentally, when's the game going to begin? I'm flying down to the West Coast for spring break, so my Internet access might be a little iffy for the next two weeks.
ShadowDragon8685
We're not sure yet. Maybe this week, maybe next week. Maybe later, if something goes catastrophically wrong. Hopefully this week, if I have my crap together.
ShadowDragon8685
Another update.

JadeFox/Jax as William Johnson (Yes, his name really is Johnson), British ex-MI-5 PhysAd Face.
TyrantSabre: *As yet unnamed* Mundane Gun-Bunny, ex-Corpsec
Anaro as Profit, human Magician (Hermetic).
DarkShadow as Iggsby Oronle, Ork Hacker.
Who sent me the ork Magician's Way Adept who can't summon? Speak up so I know who you are. smile.gif

Lastly, six is the most I'm willing to DM for. Whomever comes up next needs to be a rigger of some sort.
Anaro
I need to make a guy called Johnson Johnson one of these days. He'll be the ultimate corporate middleman for shadow ops.
Unrest
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Who sent me the ork Magician's Way Adept who can't summon? Speak up so I know who you are. smile.gif

That would be me. Glad to see he's approved I was a little unsure about some of the mystic adept rules, which the sr4 book was rather vague about. And I am available this thursday should we be ready then.
ShadowDragon8685
okay Unrest. I need your AIM and Email adress. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
*Ahem.*

After carefully looking over everyone's characters, as-is...

Marcus Rosetti and Ezekiel Reed are not green-lighted.

Both of you have backgrounds as former Matrix kiddies, who Awakened in the aftermath of the crash...

But I'm not seeing any datajacks in your augment list. Ezekial has Essence 6, Marcus has declined to list an Essence rating. I'm not seeing any Otaku or Decker related background or knowledge skills in your lists.

Guys, do you think I was born yesterday? You're not going to use Scorched and a nice background to hoodwink me for some free points. If you'd just come to me with a good BG, I might have awarded bonus points, but this don't fly. You can do better than this.

Go back and fix it. Either fix the backgrounds, or add in the datajacks (or essence holes) you should rightly have, and put in some background skills that would be concomitant with the backgrounds you've wrote.

And remember that Essence and Magic are still connected, even if they're not equal. If you have 6 essence and 5 magic, and install cyber, your magic falls to 4, and your essence to 5.
Anaro
Er, if a 5 in Computers Background doesn't qualify as a decker related knowledge skill, I don't know what does. But you're right, I forgot to calculate the essence hole. Hell, it's been so long since I've played an otaku that I forgot that they even needed a datajack to work their stuff. Either way, I was planning on picking up some 'ware first thing in the game anyway, so it's not like it makes a difference.

Then again, if your first reaction to an anomaly is to accuse your players of trying to pull a fast one on you, then maybe this isn't the right game for me. It's been fun, but I'm going to withdraw my character. Good luck to everyone else...I hope you guys have a blast! smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Well, if you feel that way, sorry to see ya go.

I'm not ranting or raving. I'm saying "caught ya." Yeah, I expect players to try to pull a fast one on me - hell, I try to pull a small fast one now and then, too. I wasen't upset, I was saying "Gotcha."

And I missed that 5 in computers. Oh well.

Looks like we have an opening for a full Magician again. Any more takers?
Unrest
The lack of an actual essence on my sheet should have really hinted at it merely being an oversight. In my sr3 hayday I could put together a character in half an hour but since I've had my fourth edition book a whole two weeks its taking me quite a bit longer which opens up the chance for a few small errors. My character had his datajack removed after he retired from hacking. Though I did forget to mention that in his background and like I said I just completely forgot to calculate my essence especially since it had such a small effect on my sheet, I think I would have had to change two drain values maybe.

Kind of works out though I didn't know you already had a physical adept and I don't want to bog down the group with an add-on character so I think I'll just alter my sheet and be our full fledged Mage. I'll drop my revamped sheet to you either late tonight or tomorrow.

By the way I e-mailed you my contact information. And if you want more detailed backgrounds provide more plot information than Seattle 2070 punk grinbig.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Yeah, okay. I'm just wary for a fast one, y'know? I'm not upset - it's all part of the great game, innit?

But then, maybe I am paranoid... Oh well. Anyway, thanks for being a good sport about it, then.
Unrest
Meh you should have seen some of the totally evil things I did when I was a GM. Takes alot more than paranoid kill all the players mindset to frighten me.

Just mailed my finished sheet to you. Decided to go shaman, no scorched this time. Instead I went with codeblock - trace, Allergy - Uraniam, Incompetent - Heavy weapons and sensitive system.
ShadowDragon8685
That's nice Unrest, but uh....

Those qualities you list don't match the ones you put on the sheet.

Also, in case I didn't make this clear the first time around.

Everybody needs a Fixer. This should be just common sense, but I seem to have to re-iterate. If you don't know a Fixer, a fixer dosen't know you. If no Fixers know you, they can't give you jobs. If you can't get jobs, you're going to run out of nuyen.gif in very short order.

Walter Michels, Connection 3 (loyalty whatever you like), is the group's Fixer.

Walter Mitchells, Connection rating 3.

Walter is an streetwise Amerindian ork who specializes in the information brokerage trade. His home is in the Ork Underground, but he makes many daily trips to the city above to conduct his everyday business. He has all the definitive traits of a good fixer: a fast tongue, a quick mind, and contacts up the wazoo. Walter's parents were killed by a violent mob during the Night of Rage and he possesses a special hatred for organizations that advocate racist ideals, such as the Humanis policlub, and will often subcontract runners on his short list to make hits on such organizations, paying for their work with money from his own wallet.

This Contact is required. Everybody needs the same Fixer. And yes, he's a freebie. Semi-freebie, anyway. (Sorry about this change in plans, but I decided it woulden't be quite fair to force everybody to pay for a contact they didn't come up with on their own.) If you already paid for him, give yourself his BP value back and have fun.

Also, before the game starts starts, we're going to hammer over some details.

I've seen this scenario play out twice, I'm not going to see it happen again.
Everybody needs to know and trust each other at the start of the game. You need to be a team already. I don't want any conflict of personalities, or whatever, interfering with the smooth play of the game.

So the first assigned game day will be a "swing of things" game day. We're going to outline our characters to each other, decide how we all know each other, and so forth. If that takes little enough time, or if we all want to hash that out on the boards, fine and dandy, we can play. Otherwise, we'll have to sort it on Thursday. Sorry.

Also, I've gotten as many different character sheet formats as I've gotten players. Pdfs are nice to print and bring to a tabletop, but they suck to try and use as a primary document. To that end, I'm compiling a character generation sheet to use to help you create your characters (and so I can check your math), and a character sheet for use after game starts. I'll email the sheet to everybody once I get it done.
Cogar
room for one more???

if so : email me on marko.matijevic@gmail.com

thinking about playing the gunslinger adept straight from the book smile.gif
Unrest
Yeah that was a joke there humorless one and now I'm getting a little worried here. I understand the concepts of a team but demanding that all the players be an adopted family and have no conflict of any kind at all seems a bit unrealistic doesn't it?
ShadowDragon8685
I didn't say the team had to be adopted family.

I do, however, require that you run smoothly. Nobody fighting for control, nobody saying "I think we shoulden't take this Run" when most of the rest agree - or nobody else arguing for the run when most of them disagree.

Nobody harboring their own pet plans, and getting upset when the rest of the team says it's a bad idea, and then trying to put their plan into motion by their onesies, etcetera.

In short, you have enough conflict to worry about from the NPCs. I've been on the inside of teams torn apart because the players all made their characters in a vacuum and made characters who meshed together about as well as a Renraku executive and a trollish joyboy. Bam, instant game-fuckage, because the characters were about as compatable as nitroglycerine and the vibration machine at the hardware store that you use to mix paint.
ShadowDragon8685
And, uh, one last word on the program, OpenRPG.

In case you've never used the program before, here's what you do, once you've gotten it running.

Press Ctrl-B, to bring up the menu of servers and rooms in the server you're own.

Find the OpenRPG Veav I server, and connect to it.

The room will have my screen name and SR4 in it. Probably "ShadowDragon8685's SR4"

Once you're in the room, the interface may be confusing. Here's the low-down.

The top-left is your node tree. This can be handy at times, for keeping notes and stuff, or more complicated node sheets. Right now, you don't need to worry about it.

The bottom left is the list of people in the room. Not hard to understand if you've ever used IRC or something. Double-click on someone's name to whisper to them.

The top-right is the map. It may well be in use for displaying splash pages, which you can ignore. If it becomes important for combat, I'll tell everyone to look at it.

The bottom-right is where the magic happens. It's a chat window. The little bar underneath it is where you do all your typing. Use /me to type out an action. Please enclose OOC comments during the game in double-parenthesis "((" and "))".

The default diceroller is set up for d20 rules. So you need to enter into the bar "/dieroller sr4" and hit enter to change it.

It will automatically roll using (most) of the SR4 rules. However, it's a litte ghetto and dosen't really understand the rule of 6. Type into the chat bar "[xd6.vs(y)]" where "x" is the applicable number of dice you're rolling, and y is the threshold, if given. (If not, just roll it and it will report your hits.) You will unfortunately have to re-roll your sixes manually, because if you try to make it explode the 6s, it won't understand that all sixes are automatically hits, and any extra dice after them can hit or miss. (IE, if you try to make it do it automatically, it will roll your 6s again. If you come up with a six and a four, it will count it as a failure, but if you come up with ten sequential sixes and a five, you'll only be counted as having one hit.)
Unrest
Now really man I've been patient here but I'm not spending an hour or two filling that thing out. Show my calculations so you can more easily check my math? Are you serious? My character sheet already shows you every bp point I used and where it was spend if thats not good enough and you really think I have something to gain from weaseling an extra bp out of you or something then boot me from the accepted list. This is a game man I've applied for jobs that didn't require this much scrutiny.
ShadowDragon8685
Unrest, I'm not being paranoid here.

But I can't be trying to read four different formats of character sheet from four different people. You know what I call that?

I call that administrative anarchy. I created this sheet as an aid to character generation, so you can divorce chargen information from after-start character sheet info.

The character sheet itself is a lot simpler, though, and I really do need that to be filled out. I can't be trying to juggle four people's different ideas of what constitutes a good character sheet, in four different templates, and three different file formats.
ShadowDragon8685
Forget the character generation sheet. Forget it all.

Bleh. Sorry, I've been having a bad week. If you guys are still going to show up, show up, I'll use whatever sheets I've got. My entire life is going to hell in a handbasket, and the chaos of trying to organize this game is hurtin' me.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, it's game time. And I have precisely half of the players who said they'd show up. Are you guys there? Are you coming? What's going on, I need some info here. Get on AIM, get on OpenRPG. Are you having trouble finding the room or something?
ShadowDragon8685
Well, I guess that's that. Only two people bothered to show up, and it was nobody who posted on this thread.

Dismal failure.
wingnut
Is this game dead now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012