Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Add Reply, but I can't decide!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Kanada Ten
I had an idea eek.gif for two additional buttons inside the posting screen along with the Add Reply, Preview Post, and Cancel Post.

Save Post This would be tough to implement, but very cool, IMO. Then maybe add a spot in the My Assistant or something for saved posts. Hell, save them to a PM folder.

Send as Private Message I think this would be nice. Just grab the text, open the PM window and shove it in! Good Idea, Bad?
gknoy
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Send as Private Message I think this would be nice. Just grab the text, open the PM window and shove it in! Good Idea, Bad?

Having PM'ed people about things they've posted, I think that this would be an awesome feature. smile.gif Esp. if you could go straight to the PM screen with the post quoted, or with a quote box similar to the normal quoting-a-message form. smile.gif

I second the motion smile.gif
Stumps
Considering that this is an invision board, I think that there is a limit to what is possible. Not sure though. Well...rather, it's possible, but it would require popping open the code and sifting through it. frown.gif
Three easy ways to do both of these things until the day comes that they are added functions.

Save Post This would be tough to implement, but very cool, IMO. Then maybe add a spot in the My Assistant or something for saved posts. Hell, save them to a PM folder.

You pretty much answered it in that last sentence. If you aren't sure if you want to post something yet, write the post in your PM and save it. When you want it, go back to it, select the text, copy it, and paste it in the post.

Open thread containing the post of interest.
Copy URL from address bar while in the thread.
Go to your PM and add the code
CODE
[url=]remeber this?[/url]

Having PM'ed people about things they've posted, I think that this would be an awesome feature.  Esp. if you could go straight to the PM screen with the post quoted, or with a quote box similar to the normal quoting-a-message form.

Open thread containing the post of interest.
Click the "Quote" button on the post of interest
Select the text in the quote box
Copy said text
Go to PM
Paste copied text into the text field
Add
CODE
[quote]blah[/quote]
tags around the text.
Type what you want after the quote
Send

Takes like 10 to 15 seconds to do (not counting writing your message).
Kanada Ten
I know how to do it, I just want buttons that do it for me. I save the messages in the Notepad thingy. I can copy and paste for the Private Messages, but LAZY wins 9 out of Ten and I post the stupid comment.
Stumps
true, twould be nice to have buttons...on the other hand, Invision boards are premade packages that allow for you to customize up to a certain amount of features. Unlike a normal home-made Forum there's only so many functions that are offered.
Yes...from what I understand, you can code in the extra functions yourself, but...yeah. I'm not real sure that's a whole lot of fun.
Firewall
QUOTE (Stumps @ Apr 2 2004, 06:15 AM)
Yes...from what I understand, you can code in the extra functions yourself, but...yeah.  I'm not real sure that's a whole lot of fun.

I want to make it perfectly clear; it is no fun at all. I like PHP but sifting through invision code was enough to give me fond memories of COBOL...
Adam
QUOTE (Stumps)
true, twould be nice to have buttons...on the other hand, Invision boards are premade packages that allow for you to customize up to a certain amount of features. Unlike a normal home-made Forum there's only so many functions that are offered.

And what exactly is a "normal home-made forum", when most message board sites run phpBB, vBulletin, Invision, or one of the other packages floating around? wink.gif
Stumps
hand written boards that are written by amazing folks out there like Firewall who's writing our "Forum" by hand using php.
(our little project simply would be harder to try and add in the features we want from what Firewall has told me)
Adam
Yes - what I'm saying is, very few people bother to do such a thing, because building a robust bulletin board system is not easy. Building a simple one is not difficult.

"Home-made" forums are not the norm, as you make them out to be.

We're a couple versions behind on Invision, I believe; I suspect we'll upgrade to the latest version before thinking about making any modifications, but personally, I don't think it benefits the community to make PMs easier, for the same reason that "Please email me the answer privately" messages are not well-recieved on most mailing lists, forums, and USENET groups.
Stumps
no no, I wasn't saying that they are the norm.
Quite to the opposite, Invision is more the norm.
If you look through any request by users (including my own) in the bugs section, I'm usually found saying that it would be hell for you guys to add the feature in.

The only reason that a Home made forum should ever be used is if you know exactly what you need and it's easier to make the home-made forum than to try and insert the functions that you need into a pre-made package.

What Firewall is doing is nothing short of amazing, and a far cry form easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012