Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote Recon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ki Ryn
I'm making a character who wants a drone with a camera & microphone in it (he likes making documentaries). He wants to be able to control this remotely and see what it sees. And he wants to do this without cyberwear.

After a few hours digging around the book, this is what I came up with and I would like to see if I've overlooked anything or made any other newbie mistakes before I finalize things:

- - - - - - - -
My comlink is a Renraku with the Iris OS. That all seems pretty straight forward.(System rating is 3, Signal is 4).

The drone is an MCT Flyspy. Capacity is 3, which will be a camera, mic, and directional mic. The camera will be modified with low light and 50x magnification. The mic will have enhance audio (3). Signal is also 3, which equates to 400m.

To give commands to the drone, I bought a Command(3) program.

To recieve images, I have a goggles/headphones set. I'm assuming it is equivalent to a "handheld" sensor package and so has Capacity 3 and Signal 3 just like the drone. I put the same equipment in the headset as the drone (so I can make movies too) but then also added Image Link and Ultrasound. I'm not sure if those have to be modifications to the camera in the goggles, or if they can just modify the goggles directly, and what the effects (if any) on Capacity are.

In order to use this stuff, I bought some Computer and Pilot Aircraft(Remote) skill.
- - - - - - - -

Does that sound like everything I need in order to make some movies?

Would an augmented reality interface be the norm for this set up? If I have a datajack can I control it mentally? What if I instead have trodes and a sim module?

I believe that I could both remotely control the drone and give it simple orders that it could then carry out on its own right?

Am I correct in assuming that I cannot control the drone via VR unless I have a cyberwear control rig? The rules for that seemed both sparse and widely scattered...

Thanks for the help, any advice is much appreciated.
UndeadPoet
First, I am a shaman player and kind of skipped the wifi-chapter in the BBB. Just looked for what I might need. But maybe I can help out.

You do not need that. It is a matrix program to control all kind of machines that normally are not meant to be controlled directly by a person(cameras, for example).
Better go for clearsight 3, maneuver(translated from german... no idea what it is called, but I mean the program that increases the drone's ability to control itself) 3, electronic warfare 3.

[...]also added Image Link and Ultrasound

No effects on capacity, only availability(+8 for ultrasound?). If you modify the camera with ultrasound, you only can use this if you switch the camera on. Attracts attention and uses up energy. Buy ultrasound for both goggles and camera, that's the easiest way.

Would an augmented reality interface be the norm for this set up?

Yeah, it's the least you have to have.

If I have a datajack can I control it mentally?

If you connect the jack through a cable with the device, yes. If you want to control more than one device and do not want to have a freaking cable stick out of your head, go for an implanted commlink.

What if I instead have trodes and a sim module? I believe that I could both remotely control the drone and give it simple orders that it could then carry out on its own right?

You do not need trodes or a sim module for that. Just your commlink.

Am I correct in assuming that I cannot control the drone via VR unless I have a cyberwear control rig?

Yes. Or you use the - already mentioned by you - trodes/sim module combination. If it's hot.

Not guaranteed correct. ^^
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
Signal is also 3, which equates to 400m.

So camera and microphone have an effective recording range of 400m.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)

Fair enough, keep in mind that if you control ityourself instead of giving orders and leth the Pilot sort it out, you will roll Command+Skill.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
I'm assuming it is equivalent to a "handheld" sensor package and so has Capacity 3 and Signal 3 just like the drone.

Googles/Earbuds aren't a sensor package, and the signal of them would be 0 to 1 - they don't need much more, as they are PAN devices, routed by the commlink.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
I'm not sure if those have to be modifications to the camera in the goggles, or if they can just modify the goggles directly, and what the effects (if any) on Capacity are.

The camera you attach/integrate (in)to the googles is a sensor package of the size of your liking - micro size should do.
Modifications to the googles don't serve the camera, and tapping the camera via the image link to use it's enhancements would result in a slightly displace view.
Better get upgrades for both.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
Does that sound like everything I need in order to make some movies?
Would an augmented reality interface be the norm for this set up?

Sure.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
If I have a datajack can I control it mentally?

Yes, trodes would work as well.
That wouldn't change anything except keeping your hands free, though.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
What if I instead have trodes and a sim module?

With trodes/datajack and a sim module, you can 'jump' into the drone (or any other device for that matter), like riggers used to do, gaining your matrix initative.

QUOTE (Ki Ryn)
Am I correct in assuming that I cannot control the drone via VR unless I have a cyberwear control rig?

No. The control rig now is pretty much the equivalent of a smart-link:
If black box and control rig both are present, you get two more dice when making vehicle tests.

PS:
QUOTE (Dumpshock Terms)
Advertising or offering to sell any goods or services for any commercial purpose is not permitted.

You might want to check your signature. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012