Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Un-Shadow-ee Players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 27 2006, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 26 2006, 11:48 PM)
If you knock down the helecoptors they'll have no way left to track you.

Except the drone you didn't see and the astral mage + posse o' spirits following you.

I was talking about real life.

There are many ways to explain a PC getting away scott free do to good social rolls. Never underestimate the power of seduction and the Chewbaca defense.

A character with a good secudtion skill can simply make people want to give them a second chance no matter what they did. An orator with a good fast talk skill can make up a reasonable explination and then rant about Chewbaca to confuse the targets and cover up all the obvious evidence against them.

There are also lesser outcomes that can serve as a compromise when the shit really hits the fan such as "We can still be useful so instead of killing us just put bombs in our heads and give us a job."
Monnock
I appologize for being so obstinate about the topic of the use of social skills; I get the feeling that we could probably come to agree (or make some sort of comprimise) if we were playing together and as such recant my argument.

Except the drone you didn't see and the astral mage + posse o' spirits following you.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat."

I think this ties in well with part of my problem. The players tend to think of everything as being a one-trick pony like they tend to make themselves. The police chase them in cars. That's what they do. If they drive 'hard' enough and 'better' than them, then they can 'win.' They don't consider that police are not only the law enforcement, but also the investigators, and they do know how to look for clues, as has been done in one form or another for the last several thousand years.

They don't consider that in the year 2070, the police are FAR more coordinated than they are today, and when you throw magic in, it gets even that much more difficult. Drones, spirits (specifically watchers), aircraft with sensors that allow them to fly at such a high altitude that they don't need to worry too much about hand-held missile launchers.

Organizing a web of cops to close in on a single target would be a logistical nightmare today, but suddenly it stops being so difficult when you have access to real-time traffic data (including when lights are going to change, what the patterns are like, possible routs they could take and how they could cut them off), the precise location of every single patrol unit in the entire city, information feeds comming in from not only arial survailance but also street cameras (the kind to catch you if you run a red-light), and real-time communicatoin between all of these components at once.

It must be quite beautiful to see it work together, like a sort of technological sympony nyahnyah.gif .

Of course, I dropped all this, knowing full well that the players would have just 'failed' if I had allowed them to use everything they had at their disposal, and that wouldn't have been very much fun. I probably did the right thing too, just because I doubt that the police would pull out every single stop over this incident.

Sigh I feel like I make the oppenents too smart.
eidolon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
By that definition anything that anyone does within the game except follow the exact rules is metagaming. While it may be true, it's not the standard definition of metagaming. At least not the one I'm used to. Generally when I've seen discussions about metagaming it involves using out of game knowledge in the game.

No argument here. That's the main definition as it's used in gaming parlance. Like I said, random observation. I guess I was just kinda following up my initial post to this thread somewhat. Sort of a roundabout way of saying that if your PCs want to play big and loud, but your metagame doesn't allow for that, maybe you should try changing your metagame instead of blaming your players for "not knowing how to play", which seems to be the illogical conclusion that's being drawn.

I agree, but trying to defend d20 here is like trying to defend homosexuality to baptist fundamentalists. The ones that listen probably already agree at least partially and the rest tend to ignore you or open up the flame jets. smile.gif

Hah. Don't even get me started on d20. I was talking about Dungeons and Dragons. wink.gif I like kickin' it AD&D 2nd Edition style. (Just messing around, I play d20 too, it's just not my favorite. I'm dying to find a good Iron Heroes GM though. I'm sick of GMing.)

Oh, and @ hyz:
Why is a wookie, livin' on Endor?? It does not, make, SENSE!
Monnock
Sort of a roundabout way of saying that if your PCs want to play big and loud, but your metagame doesn't allow for that, maybe you should try changing your metagame instead of blaming your players for "not knowing how to play", which seems to be the illogical conclusion that's being drawn.

I can agree with the jist of what you are saying here, and it makes me wonder if I should just throw them someplace where they can be 'big and loud.'

It's funny, but you hit the nail right on the head. I should take a good look at myself before I say that the 'players... this or that.' I take the game way more seriously then my players do. I tend to look at every single little detail and see how it fits into the "Big Picture" ™, while the players just want to go around and have a good time being bad ass criminals who are on top of the world, which doesn't seem very compatable.

The odd thing is... the other players want the exact same thing I want out of a game when they are running it, but that perspective seems to change when they are actually playing the game. I get berrated for not trying hard enough to take the game seriously when I play, but as soon as its them they want to be the guy from Equilibrium, someone deemed "Treyho" from Def-Jam, or other random characters who are played as the stereotype that is gleemed from their sources.

Currently one of the players wants to emulate GTA to a degree, and is actually basing how his character looks off of his GTA: San Andreas character. When I told him that the cops will always be after him if he keeps acting out in public, he said that was what he wanted... I just don't know what to do. I don't want to run a game where I hit the world with a nerf bat, that's borring to me. I want to run a world that is dynamic, constantly changing, that will react to the players actions for good or for bad.

Once again, I thank you all for your input, as already I have learned much from this discussion.
toturi
QUOTE (Monnock)
I just have one question for you Toturi, how am I supposed to explain how the players got out if it was just a dice roll that set them free (which no one in the group is insane enough at social skills to pull it off, but hypothetically), how do I explain the gap in continuity? Everything makes sense, then suddenly, "oh, well, something happens and he talks and... yeah... Well, you're free now! Enjoy your... 'hard earned' victory."

How would I know? It is up to the individual GM to come up with descriptions and explanations to things that happen during play. Maybe something like,"He may not look like it, but he is one real talker. Heck, maybe the Muse or Shakespear or even God was whispering in his ear, cos by some divine miracle he convinced the cops that you guys were not involved and you watch incredulously as the judge and jury's suspicious expressions lift and nod as he continues his explanation. Soon even the cops and prosecutors are red-faced, everyone is convinced that they made a blunder. You are free to go."

The fact that YOU are convinced that there is no way that the PCs can talk their way out blinds you to ways that you can explain it. Shit happens all the time, sometimes good shit happens. But you can either work with it or say,"No way... no way... no way... it can happen." In fact, I have played in games GMed by a similar GM before, he couldn't believe that our sam could talk his way into the tres chic party carrying all his tools of the trade, and he adamantly refused to allow the sam into the club, it ruined the entire evening, let me tell you.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (eidolon)
We're seeing GMs say things like "you have to teach the players a lesson" and then pretending in the next sentence that what happens to the PCs is just some function of the (fictional and interpreted/created by the GM) world that the PCs find themselves in.

I don't think you understand what I meant (though you claim non-specificity, your quotation and choice of phrasing here seem to have painted this as my position). My full statement is that you can "teach the players a lesson", but you have to decide if that's the right thing to do or not. Bad things should not happen to the PCs just because you, as the GM, feel they are bad people, but rather because of their own actions.

Rather, the lesson being taught is that over-the-top actions can have real in-game consequences (or, rather, letting the world react appropriately to what just happened). So the team storms a motorcade with an assault vehicle and heavy weaponry, and is later sloppy about the end dealings (making more enemies than they can aford). It's not unrealistic to have any evidence they left behind or tracks they didn't cover lead the cops to them. It's also not unrealistic to have their new enemies attempt to even the score. It's also not unrealistic that the players learn a lesson or three from this process.

It isn't a "GM vs. PC" world. Rather, the PCs should contribute to the ongoing game by acting within certain groundrules of conduct so that the game can continue. If the PCs pull another job and do these same sorts of things (high profile damage which makes the cops look bad, double crossing the Johnson) then they probably aren't going to be getting many job offers. They can go out and try to make their own work, but that's a whole other bag of pain.

I find the idea of the sniper to be an interesting one if used properly. Imagine, one of the PCs gets a commcall. He answers it and a voice says, "don't move" just as a sniper round knocks a hole in the wall beside him. He then gets informed of the doublecrossed Johnson's ire and that he has xyz demands. If the PC starts to get cocky or anything, shoot him in the head. Rinse and repeat.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I thought the GM was po'ed because they were not using social skills. that they were just blazing away and running for the barrens.
Monnock
It would be pointless for me to restate my opinion on the social system any further, it all just depends on your game.

I thought the GM was po'ed because they were not using social skills. that they were just blazing away and running for the barrens.

I'm more annoyed that they don't really care at all about the setting. I put a lot of work into making the world feel more dynamic (at least in my opinion), then the players just want to run around in a world that reacts to them only positivly despite their negative actions.

For example, rather than the police actually being competent and searching for evidence they want them to just chase them and always lose them because the driver is just so dang good.
ShadowDragon8685
Which is not an unrealistic expectation if their driver has spent so much time becoming so dang good that he uses a car like James Bond does.

Yes, in fact, if they do drive hard and fast and well enough, they should lose the police. They've earned it. Especially if they drive into the barrens, which is frankly probably more dangerous than the police.

Apparently they want a world like GTA, where if you can shake the heat long enough the cops go away, because they simply do not care about you. Realistic? No, especially if you've been gunning down cops. Then again, KE, Lone Star, are corporations - vengeance for officers who go down in the line of duty is something you'd expect from a modern-day civil service, but it's not that unrealistic to expect KE and Lonestar not to care - at least, the people in charge of the bottom line won't care.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Or the police wait and as soon as the characters poke their heradso ut of the barrens- BLAM! Is not KE a subsidiary of Ares Macrotechnologies? Does not Ares have a subsidiary that makes MBT's?

The police will not go into the barrens but if the runners are limited to the barrens, their incomes should drop. They expect to sneak up on a run and then dash away guns blazing. But if they are so recognizable that they are fighting their way in, the target will be long gone.
Monnock
Yes, in fact, if they do drive hard and fast and well enough, they should lose the police. They've earned it. Especially if they drive into the barrens, which is frankly probably more dangerous than the police.

That's how the car escaped, they just went into the barrens essentially.

It seems that the common idea here is that I don't let my players 'get away' with enough stuff. I want to make them actually work for their success. As for the "They've earned it" part, keep in mind that the driver is so good he can win races by buying hits, which kinda takes the "earning" out of success, or is that just me? Yeah, a cop with maybe Skill 2 in driving cars with 3-4 reaction vs someone with wired reflexes 2, a driving skill of 6, and a modified reaction of 9 while driving the car rigged. 17 dice vs... 5? Yeah, by making the police line up nice and neat at a starting line so the car can just burn them off is definatly 'earning' it to me.

The simple answer is "don't let them buy hits..." but then that just leads to unnessisary dice rolls. On average, he will do better if he rolls anyways, so making them roll for it is kinda pointless. The players are gods among men, and as such, in order for them to be challenged properly, you kinda have to play the opposition smart, otherwise it's just rediculous.

The NPCs know the PCs like to use heavy firepower, so do they go toe-to-toe with them? Well, logically they would use guerilla warfare tactics and hit-and-fade, but because that would be too 'hard' for the players, lets dumb them down a notch. I guess I need to just send in the mooks to die. Suppression fire in the hallway? Lead the charge men! Lets not use our own security system eather to see them setting up an ambush. Bah, you get my point. Is that really what is being suggested here?

The worst part is, they wont let me stop being the GM. I have told them time and time again that I don't want to run that kind of game, but they keep pressuring me to do it anyways. I'm not having any fun watching them fail because they don't think things through (there is another player in the group that loves that though... his games are rather annoying to play in, and he has stated several times that he likes to 'watch us suffer for no good reason when he is bored.'). I don't have any fun sitting stroking their egos by letting them get away with whatever because I can't actually let anyone in the world have higher than a logic of 1 and intuition of 1 or the bad guys might actually stand a 'chance' against them.

Oh yeah, and god forbid someone in the world be as good as them, like with the court example, as though the players are the only ones who are capable of having more than 5 dice to roll. Court lawyers who went to college and have experiance in the court could never be as good at spinning the truth as some random guy off the street who should have just went into Law to make more money than he ever would shadowrunning and be living the high-life to boot.
James McMurray
Sounds to me like you should stop running. If nobody else wants to take up the mantle of GM, find something else to occupy your game nights. A movie marathon of intelligent criminals might spur some ideas in people.

The point of playing the game is to have fun. If you're not having fun, don't play the game. Sure, some nights you just won't be up to it because you had a bad day or something, but will GM anyway because that's your "job." But if you dislike doing it consistently, don't do it at all.
ShadowDragon8685
I'm pretty sure some KE and Lone Star are going to have more than five dice to throw. That said, getting 17 dice into a single skill is no mean feat - I'd call the sacrifices made to munch his driving ability out that far as "earning it."
Daddy's Little Ninja
The police have riggers, the police can buy hits too. They cna probably be better than the player. what happned if the tires go out on the car?

If these guys are bad enough, the police will go into the barrens after them. They are too much trouble to let go and the police can worry about the rest of the place later. Remember- SINless do not make reports so no one was hurt when the KE carpet bombed the street.
Birdy
QUOTE (eralston)
Shadowy examples help groups be more "shadowrunny" (which just sounds awful, BTW).

Good examples would be:
M:I 1
-Use of disguise to enter a building
-Use of planning to make a 'plan' (betchya they don't use those either)
-Use of classic building infiltration plot device: Air Ducts

The Italian Job
-PLAN! PLAN! PLAN!
-Use of misdirection (really good one for SR)
-Their are myriad SR-like things that go into their planned heists, too many to list really. It's not a very good movie as movies go, but it is on basic cable and worth your time if you don't mind commercials

Metal Gear Solid
-While terribly cheesy at part, MGS has used every plot device available in the stealth-espionage genre to help players get, get out, and get it on. If at least one person in your group isn't a raving insane MGS fan then maybe you guys should play D&D

Speaking of D&D, you really have to tain people out of using: show up to the dungeon, slay the monsters, loot the bodies as a model for shadowrun. SR is more like: snoop in the matrix, make a plan, pay off a guy to get building schematics, make a back-up plan, case the joint, exploit a hole in their security, get in, do the job, get out.

A good exercise for this might be forcing a run w/o guns (as that leaves most meatheads SOL)

Boring! Boring! Boring!

If I want to spend an evening planning, I could just as well stay at my job pulling some UML and ER Diagramms.

Some people play RPG's for the action element, not for endless planning and talking sessions. IMHO the GM is the problem here, not the players. Best idea is for the players to find themselves a good GM and ditch the Storyteller!
Kagetenshi
If I wanted to spend an evening shooting things, I'd go to the local range.

(Alternately, for the lazy/disinclined/whatever, spend the evening with the current FPS of choice)

~J
Monnock
The five dice was referring to the average Lonestar cop in the book. I kinda got miffed there for some reason, so I'm sorry I came off so annoying. For the 'earning' part, your right, I do realize that he made a significant sacrafice to be so good at it, but what am I to do? He gets annoyed no matter what he does. If I make him roll his 16 dice - oops, he got two hits (which has happened an abnormal number of times)... now he is pissed off the rest of the night. I make him buy hits... well, he win's, but it boils down to me saying "yeah, you outrun them," which he realizes is really lame that he is so good at it that he doesn't even have a challenge any more. If I counter overwhelming skill with the overwhelming numbers/logistics of KE, he gets pissed because he can't just wave them off somehow. But wait... He gets annoyed when he does... Do you see why I'm having so many problems?

I've quit this group before, but they came back later on and I figured "sure, I'll give it another shot - and lets try Shadowrun while we are at it." Quiting isn't easy when my best friend knows that you can push me over with a feather to get me to keep running it. I'm just trying to make due with the situation, and I really want to make everyone happy... I just don't want to be the only one not having fun in order to accomplish that.
ShadowDragon8685
Then don't let him outrun them. Give him a running gun-battle in a packed tunnel, ala the Matrix's Highway scene. Why can't he outrun them? Well, he can, but if he does, he'll take his jamming field (he does have a jamming device on his hummer o' doom, right?) away from the pursuing police, who will inform by radio of where he is. That would be a Bad Thing, since they could then arrange a roadblock up ahead.

However, about the guy who sold out a really, really good Johnson for 5K? I'd have a contact contact one of the other members of the team, and say that if they ever want work again, the one who did the sell-outting needs to die. You Do Not sell out a Mr. Johnson. And if you do, you don't do it for ONE-THIRTEENTH of what the Mr. Johnson pays!
Wounded Ronin
Monnock: I feel your pain. That's sort of how I felt as a GM after a while.
Monnock
ShadowDragon8685: Actually, they had jumped out of the hummer earlier on. While going at full speed through one of the many allyways they kept taking, they all jumped out (one of them nearly died from the ordeal), but the car kept on driving via remote. They didn't think to jam the car as they didn't realize that the hacker that was plaguing them was actually in the vehicle.

Also, what you described is far more interesting than what they are willing to put effort into doing. They had an area jammer field, but they didn't activated until well after the assault was under way. They did an awesome job planning that... hah. It was powerful enough to block out the car's radio too. One of them was on of the truck with the intention of breaking into the cab. The mage buffed him all the way up... then he ended up almost being flung off the top of the truck because they decided to shoot the tires out of it while he was on top of it. Whoops.
eidolon
on what everyone is looking for, and the actual situation you're in.

The odd thing is... the other players want the exact same thing I want out of a game when they are running it, but that perspective seems to change when they are actually playing the game.

Insert same cliches here. smile.gif I just quit GMing a SR game for my group because of this. When the were players, they couldn't seem to remember ever having been a GM. I know they've all GM'd before. I've played in games run by four of the five of them. Yet when they switch to "player" status, you'd think some of them were RPG virgins with bad attitudes. I honestly don't know what to tell you here, because how you should handle that kind of situation depends completely on the dynamic of your individual group. At bare minimum, you guys should discuss what you want out of the game. (oops, I'm starting to repeat my first post)

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
I don't think you understand what I meant (though you claim non-specificity, your quotation and choice of phrasing here seem to have painted this as my position).

Apologies, TG. I know you weren't saying it the way I used it, it was merely the wording that I was after. I agree with your post and your position. Bad quote usage on my part.

QUOTE (Monnock)
It seems that the common idea here is that I don't let my players 'get away' with enough stuff.

I don't think that's the idea at all. I think what everyone is getting at is that sometimes you have to accept that your players want something different than what you're providing. Also, this isn't a comment on your GMing ability or style. It's something that every GM faces at one point (often at multiple points). Your choices, boiled down to simplicity, are pretty much "switch GM's" or "switch game style", or "get new players". None of those have an inherently negative connotation.

I see that you have reasons preventing you from switching GM's or getting different players. You also seem to have no desire to change up your game. Honestly, I don't know what else to add.

Have you talked to the players about this? Maybe you could invite them to read this thread.
FanGirl
QUOTE (eidolon)
Have you talked to the players about this? Maybe you could invite them to read this thread.

I vote yes for talking to the players and no for showing them the thread, because they'd probably take it the wrong way. However, I repeat my recommendation to have them read the C.L.U.E Files, so long as you don't show it to them as a critique of their mistakes.
eidolon
Meh. If they took it "the wrong way", I'd take that as my cue to find new players. All he's doing is trying to provide them a better game.

Surely they all have maturity+1 hats.
Monnock
I try talking to them, but every time I feel like I just don't say the right things or share enough of what I'm thinking. It's easy for me to spill myself out here because I don't have to worry about anyone here taking it personally, but some of the problems are with spefic players and specific things that they do so I try and be vague when I address the issue. I don't think my talking to them is working (at least not how I'm doing it), because even though they all agreed that it was really really stupid to sell out their Johnson in the first run I did for them, they did it again! Not only did they do it again, but they did it for 6x less money!

I took a look at the C.L.U.E. files, and I'm seriously considering printing out a copy of them for my players. Maybe seeing carelessness unfold will let them understand how I see the situation.

The worst part is, they really could have gotten away with what they did if the mage hadn't sold out their Johnson! That's what's so frustrating to me, and they should have known this from the last game.

Thank you again for the help.
Birdy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If I wanted to spend an evening shooting things, I'd go to the local range.

(Alternately, for the lazy/disinclined/whatever, spend the evening with the current FPS of choice)

~J

Oh, I'd like to do that too. But there are actually a few countries where that is NOT an option due to local laws.

eralston
That's why America's great. Cause we're not only lazy, but simultaneously destructive...
hyzmarca
Greece, I know, bans all video games but what others countries ban FPS games?
eralston
I dunno, but maybe we should bomb them...I bet Bush would be up for it...

My first instinct when I think of censorship is China, but I would think they would like the soldier-building qualities of it.
Shrike30
Gaming in China is apparently an enormously booming industry.

You don't have to kill players to have their dumb actions count against them (although sometimes, it's helpful). One morning, one of the players gets a commcall from a contact of his... a loyal fixer, maybe a bartender in a cop bar, someone who'd have a source of information but not a great level of detail. "Man, I think you and your boys had better get low and stay low for a while... the cops have got you pegged for something, and I think they're coming gunning for you." Let them spend a couple of sessions trying to find places to stay, dodge surveillance, and getting commcalls from their mothers asking "Why did the police just visit my house? Are you in trouble again?"

Or have a representative of a Johnson show up. Possibly one connected to the guy they screwed over. "I've got some work for you. It's not nice, and it doesn't pay well. Actually, it doesn't really pay at all. But the group I represent is aware that you've got problems with the police, and we'd be willing to help you get rid of those problems... if you help us get rid of some of ours. If you don't like working under these conditions, you're free to go, and we won't hold it against you. You might find, however, that the police investigation will stop encountering the difficulties we've currently arranged for it."

Wanton behavior by characters should get a response, but it's certainly possible for you to make it more interesting than a bullet in the head. The players could get good sessions out of it, and generally decide that maybe they're better off not having to do tasks at someone else's bidding.

And hell, maybe one of the jobs the guy wants you to do involves going after ecoterrorists in Guam or wherever nyahnyah.gif Someplace their "unique skills" might be useful, but they'll really hate being in. Damn mosquitoes...
Daddy's Little Ninja
In China and Korea they have gaming addicts and rl crimes committed between gamers who do not like what on line characters do. I am not kidding. Things like murdering a gamer because his character stole the magic items of another gamer's character.
Kagetenshi
This is nothing new. In the US it happened with tabletop gaming—see stories of various steam tunnel incidents. There are unbalanced people the world over, why is it so strange that some of these unbalanced people have hobbies?

~J
Calvin Hobbes
The steam tunnel incident you're referring to happened once, with someone who had problems that were way past D&D problems.
Kagetenshi
Thank you for that concise summary of my point.

~J
eralston
My sister in-law once had a friend, a real snatch, whose judgement was extremely clouded about RPing by media portrayal of such incidents. When she found out I (and my wife) were gamers, she urged my sister in-law to convince us it was bad.

To my sister in-law's credit, she showed considerable restraint and I actually really misinterpreted the whole situation when it was explained to me and made me gut-response angry. Anyhow...long story short: For every person who commits something like that there's a hundred that blow it out of proportion, an equal number to hold them back and a million who just don't care.

Just try not to become a crazy-pscyho statistic, k brothers and sisters?
Snow_Fox
The problem in China is it's getting worse. with the closed society this stuff is one of the few ways they can exercise their imagination. since art and philosophy is heavily regulated, so they get much more passionate about it than we could ever get. So you have more people being pushed further and the little htings that might make one of us get good and drunk and sending a nasty letter to a senator, gets them getting WAY personal over their characters.

To get htis back on track, sure the characters can be good with high skills and rad toys BUT whatever the runners can get, the police get better. what ever skills the players have, the police have better. Sure ont every street cop is a wheel man, but neither is every runner. You have a rigger. So do the police.

there is no toy the runners can't get, that the polcie can't get bigger/better/faster/way badder. If the police are on the scene, game over, you can't get away. You have to plan to not be there when the police arrive or you're otast.
toturi
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
there is no toy the runners can't get, that the polcie can't get bigger/better/faster/way badder. If the police are on the scene, game over, you can't get away. You have to plan to not be there when the police arrive or you're otast.

Really why not? After all, runners do not have people looking over their shoulder saying,"The bottomline! The bottomline!" Cops do not get to customise their vehicles. Runners do not have to obey "regulations". And runners can always steal the bigger/better/faster/way badder.
You have a rigger. So do the police.

Cops might work in places such as the Barrens, but many runners live there. Cops go into those places with full para-military backup, runners go in themselves with no backup. Runners that do not survive... do not get hired for runs. What the cops have on their side is numbers, they can call in a lot of backup and even scale up the confrontation with heavier weapons(though not necessarily heavier weapons than the runners). If you are going into business for yourself, you have to be bigger, better and smarter, if not, you die and it is time for a new PC. Next time, write it into the story that you are.
Kanada Ten
Do forget that, during the chase, the cops get to add a die to their test for every car and drone in the chase. This represents their ability to coordinate and cut the runners off before they reach the Barrens. With enough manpower, they can overcome the rigger's edge - well, maybe not his Edge, but his big dice pool. And since the runners killed cops, the KE agents might use their own Edge in the test. That could get ugly.
James McMurray
What kind of edge pool would a police force have? Maybe one per two-man team?
Kanada Ten
I was thinking of just using one (but I guess they are mostly human, so does that make it 2?), but since it applies the rule of 6 to the test, we could see a lot of successes there.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Monnock)
The worst part is, they wont let me stop being the GM. I have told them time and time again that I don't want to run that kind of game, but they keep pressuring me to do it anyways. I'm not having any fun watching them fail because they don't think things through (there is another player in the group that loves that though... his games are rather annoying to play in, and he has stated several times that he likes to 'watch us suffer for no good reason when he is bored.'). I don't have any fun sitting stroking their egos by letting them get away with whatever because I can't actually let anyone in the world have higher than a logic of 1 and intuition of 1 or the bad guys might actually stand a 'chance' against them.

Me too. Been GM'ing for years, and sometimes the way they want to play is not the way you designed your world. On top of that, it sounds as if you don't enjoy running that type of game, so it gets twice as frustrating for you. sarcastic.gif

We had a similar problem with Star Wars d20 (thanks, I'll kick my own ass later)
We love Star Wars, but we couldn't really get what we all wanted the game to be, to work with what the GM wanted, and in some ways the rules hindered us as well. Know what we did? We started a side campaign as Dark Siders. We got to cut loose, kill indescriminately, argue about who got to kill the Jedi, and completely cut loose. It was a lot of fun, and gave us a breather... We actually stopped playing shortly after, but we all enjoyed the "side" campaign more.

I guess I'm suggesting that you (since your players have elevated you to GM Pro Vitae) maybe run a side game. Pick Mutants and Masterminds, Ninja Burger, FUDGE, whatever, and run an over-the-top, guns blazing, PCs have all the power and are unstoppable. Do these as a relief from your regular sessions, and maybe they'll take your SR game more like how you want to run it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
In China and Korea they have gaming addicts and rl crimes committed between gamers who do not like what on line characters do. I am not kidding. Things like murdering a gamer because his character stole the magic items of another gamer's character.

I have to admit that gives me an evil feeling of satisfaction. Mr high and mighty MMORPG hero gets pwned IRL where he's a pasty weakling.
James McMurray
Yeah, because obviously people should be killed for being good at video games. I take it you're not good at them? smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yeah, because obviously people should be killed for being good at video games. I take it you're not good at them? smile.gif

Actually, I just am not much of a MMORPG fan. I was always more into FPS games.

I'll tell you something really funny, though. In the US, overall, I'd classify myself as a medium low FPS player.

Out here in the FSM I honestly think I'm the best FPSer on the island because there isn't that much access to video games. Like, there's one internet cafe with an X box and Halo 1. Every single time I play Halo 1 I always finish first on multiplayer just because, well, most people rarely get to play Halo.

It's a weird feeling, since I'm used to being mediocre, and I know I'm winning not because I'm good but because everyone else is a feeble noob.
eralston
I became better at video games the moment I realized people can't play without their fingers. And you know how tasty fingers are nyahnyah.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 28 2006, 03:45 PM)

I have to admit that gives me an evil feeling of satisfaction. Mr high and mighty MMORPG hero gets pwned IRL where he's a pasty weakling.

Kinda like otaku... Maybe technomancers or hackers.
Voran
QUOTE (James McMurray)

In a frightening way, its kinda a warning to be nice online (or in a game) cause you're not truly anonymous. In real life people get killed for being asshats. The belief that you're anonymous in a game or on the net sadly encourages some to be not as prudent with their interactions with people. It may be virtual, but stealing or talking smack or harassing someone can have the same real world consequences.
James McMurray
Anyone who kills you for looting the monsters he just killed (or even just beats you up) needs to be culled from the gene pool. I'm not advocating going out and stealing from people in games, but like in RPGs, it ain't real.

Would you beat up your friend whose rogue just robbed the party and disappeared into the night at your weekend D&D game (or whatever similar situation may exist in whatever game you're playing)? If so, your friends need to find someone a little more stable to play with. If not, why would it be ok to do it to someone who stole from you online just because they're a stranger?
eralston
Well, video game cult followers are necessarily excluded from social habits that allow for easy co-existence with other people. They are probably otherwise depressed and misanthropic, otherwise why would they so avidly play the game?

Yes, that person that just stole the party would probably receive at least a mock physical gesture against their continued good health. Death? Probably not, but they were still a dick and should be treated thusly. As far as strangers, people even in these forums have expounded upon the wisdom of the penalty of death for lesser offenses. Anyone who has would probably never follow up on it; however, you can never be sure.
Kanada Ten
I'm not advocating going out and stealing from people in games, but like in RPGs, it ain't real.

Yeah, because nobody makes a living play video games... Oh, wait, yes they do. Stealing "gold" or treasure from someone in a video game can have a real affect on their finances. Just because it's virtual doesn't mean it has no value. The difference being that one can legally steal for other players in some games, thus people have no official recourse. Sure, they overreacted - a more logical action is to "hire" a group of players to go and kick the guy's ass in game. Like you do when the party rouge steals from the group.
Voran
The lines become less clear when the person who ninjaloots/ganks/etc adds insult to injury by taunting smile.gif Everyone can be a brave trash talking texter in virtual reality, behavior that tends to get restrained in real life cause...well, it can lead to a beating. Is it any surprise vr behavior comes back to haunt a person too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012