Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking and Logic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Big D
Yeah... sigh.

I really hope that we see some SBs, errata, dev notes, or *something* to clarify some of this stuff.
Aaron
QUOTE (The Jopp)

In this case I would say that he was not very bright but used his intuition to find a solution to the problem. He might be Intelligent but that doesn’t mean that he is smart.

Well ... nah, I can't concede that. He found the solution because he knew where to find the information and how to find it. Both of those would be skills (a Knowledge skill and Data Search). Nostradamus (assuming he had a high Intuition) still wouldn't be able to find what the student did.

QUOTE (The Jopp)

In your case when it came to suggesting that your father should use defrag program and suchlike I’d say you used your logic skill because you had a logical knowledge in what program to use. In your mothers case she might have been intelligent and intuitive but those attributes were limited by her low computer skill.

Can't agree with this one, either. Albert Einstein was highly intelligent, but would have been just as lost as my dear old dad. Your average Geek Squad employee would be able to handle the problem. Again with the skill.
Geekkake
I officially rate the direction this thread is taking as Logic 1.
Kremlin KOA
Intuition?
Aaron
QUOTE (geekkake)

I officially rate the direction this thread is taking as Logic 1.

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

Intuition?

*head explodes*
Kremlin KOA
*adds one to his kill count*
mdynna
(shrug) House rule it however you want and go from there. Personally, I've always thought the best solution was to make it like Magic:
LOG + Hacking, hits limited by program

That way an un-logical (illogical?) Hacker with good programs can't do very well, and a super logical Hacker with cruddy programs doesn't get very far either. Switch the related attribute to INT if you want. It doesn't matter.
Aaron
QUOTE (mdynna)
(shrug) House rule it however you want and go from there.  Personally, I've always thought the best solution was to make it like Magic:
LOG + Hacking, hits limited by program

Interesting, but that would make the higher-threshold tasks, such as findng hidden nodes or data mining, impossible without making even further modifications. Plus, technomancers would have a huge advantage over regular folks, since their (possibly threaded) complex forms are not limited to six (okay, or seven).

For my part, I'm glad that magic and the Matrix work differently. They should, ne?
Shrike30
Actually, there's no real good reason they should. It's an abstraction anyway, why not try and develop a system with less funky methods of doing things?

Personally, I *like* how the matrix works, but I'm kind of surprised they didn't make it work like magic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012