Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR Screenplay: New Direction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
eralston
Ok, after going into outline the anti-metahuman virus perpetrated by the Humanis Policlub has been scrapped. It's just unmanageable, not terribly shadowrun in scale. It's not terrible, just not greatness.

Any new ideas?

What about something origination from astral or the Matrix?

We are also attempting to think strictly in 2070 at this point. There's really no way around it.
Shadow
Here are some basic guidelines.

No world altering events. Keep it in the shadows and low key.
Make it personal to the team. The runner team will be the main characters.
Include as much of what makes Shadowrun, Shadowrun, as possible. (Magic etc.)
Story first, characters second, scenes third, dialogue last.

That’s about all I can think of for the moment. Please feel free to post whatever you feel would fit.

On a personal note, please no obscenities or profanity.
SpasticTeapot
After not visiting the forum for a week, I'm going to forget about the 7 pages of the other thread.

I did have an idea for the opening shot, the one before the title screen. As an introduction, why not use the shadowrun introduction? After all, what would show better the crazy nature of the world than to have some people pull guns in a Kwick-E-Mart full of krill, only to have the bystanders (and main characters) go Banzai on their ass? Of course, they'd then go to the checkout as if nothing had happened.

Yes, I'm taking a nod from Tarantino on this one.

For a run, I might suggest something like this:
1. PCs are hired by standard Mr. Jhonson from Corp X to make themselves look good so that Megacorp A will want to buy them.
2. Corp X has been having problems with gangers swiping their stuff. PC's mission is to make the gangers go away.
3. PC's get message that Megacorp B is sponsoring gang to take out corp X, damaging Megacorp A's assets.
4. Gang A is actually employed by Corp A to soften them up. Gang B, enemy of gang A, is going to rush in and squash corp X when the paper's signed. Using explosives, and taking out Gang A.
5. PC's must sift through the crap and having both gangs AND corp B's and corp A's hit men shoot at them to figure out what the @#$!$# is going on, then save the day. (No explosions.)
6. Corp X sells out to Megacorp C in the end, PC's get paid by Megacorp C.
ChuckRozool
This reminds me of a scene from Singing in the Rain.
The head of the studio walks on to the set, right in the middle of shooting and tells Gene Kelly and the rest of the crew that he's turning Gene's movie into a talkie. The studio head came to this desicion after the Jazz Singer (first talking movie) became a huge hit. So anyway, the director of the film is all like, "Dude are you sure? We don't know nothing about making Talking pictures..."
So the studio head is all like, "What's so hard about it? You make the movie and just add talking!"

How does this relate? Well... basically...
What's so hard about making a Shadowrun screenplay? Just write a good screenplay and just add Shadowrun!

I know what I'm about to say was discussed in a previous topic and I apologize if this detracts from the topic at hand but...

I think those who are interested in this project should first come up with a story, if possible a good story. Try to make it as generic as possible, at first. Just worry about the story you are trying to tell... Then once everyone agrees on the story, "just add Shadowrun!" Easier said than done, I'm sure, but it doesn't hurt to try.

It just seems that people might get too hung up on the Shadowrun aspect (e.g., whether they're representing enough of magic, metahumanity, the matrix, rigging...) of the screenplay instead of the story part.

That's just my somewhat humble opinion... But then again, I smoke crack like 10 times a day, so what the hell do I know?

This has been my little contribution to the project, I wish you luck on this endeavor.

---End of Line---
eralston
Hmmm, I think I'll just swing by

http://www.movieplotgenerator.com/sampler.html

And bust out two or three of those then start cramming Sr words everywhere.

I would not preclude it as a technique for other authors; however, I was on the "adherence to a genre requires the story be native to the genre" side of the argument so I just highly disagree.

We should have an outline to get torn apart sometime this week, stay tuned.

Shadow
QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
I think those who are interested in this project should first come up with a story, if possible a good story. Try to make it as generic as possible, at first. Just worry about the story you are trying to tell... Then once everyone agrees on the story, "just add Shadowrun!" Easier said than done, I'm sure, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I do not doubt that a basic plot can be pulled from any movie and used. But it is a lot more complicated than "just add Shadowrun". There are a lot of unique elements in Shadowrun that make it a more picky genre to write for.

QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
It just seems that people might get too hung up on the Shadowrun aspect (e.g., whether they're representing enough of magic, metahumanity, the matrix, rigging...) of the screenplay instead of the story part.

For some people these aspects may be exactly what makes the movie Shadowrun. If they are just an add on to the story you will be able to tell, you will be able to feel that when you watch the movie.

Eralston and I come from different angles on screen writing, but we are working on what I think is an excellent outline. As soon as we have it locked down we can show you guys.
Shadow
A quick update for you all. Eralston and I pounded out a fantastic outline for the Screenplay. It has a lot of the elements we feel (and were suggested) that the screenplay has. Magic and the Matrix are heavily represented, along with a good diversity of meta's and technology. Alas there are no Dragons or IE's. For our first foray we kept it very street (in the tradition of SR4). It takes place in Seattle and involves two Shadowrunning teams.

I am really excited about it. I don't want to give away to much though. We will keep you all updated as we go through the steps. Thank you everyone who posted and idea, thought, or bit of dialogue. Please feel free to continue posting ideas. We have a long road ahead of us and the more input we get, the better!!
Kiedo
QUOTE (eralston)
http://www.movieplotgenerator.com/sampler.html

LMAO

A ruthless mafia king pin comes out of the closet in the heart of amish country.(sounds a bit like the sopranos)
A single mom becomes a pimp to save the local synagogue

that's really more of a movie tag line generator than a plot maker, but I digress.

I can only suggest looking at the In the shadows section for ideas, though stay away from my games, I try to be very epic when I GM.

But if you don't want to change the fact of the shadowrun world in your movie, I'm sad to say all of my ideas are going to be of no help.

For example:

-Runners are hired by the johnson to retrieve a stolen railgun, which is suspected to be used in an assassination attempt on corp A's CEO.

-Runners find out that a group (A) stole it and then it was stolen from that group, by group B.

-Runners find out that the Johnson was the team leader of group A, who was slaughter when group B took control of the railgun.

-group A was hired by AAA corp C to stop a merger between corp A and B, which would put corp D (A+B) into the top 10.

-Group B is hired by a VP at Corp A (the one who was supposed to be assassinated), to kill the CEO of Corp A because he was rethinking the merger.

-In a spectacularly violent and random explosion packed ending the runners are not successful, the truth is let out, and the merger goes through.

-cut to credits

See that's a bit too epic, if you don't want to change the face of the game world, though you could go with the alternate ending:

-In a spectacularly violent and random explosion packed ending the runners succeed in thier mission stopping the CEO from being killed, but in the process killed the greedy VP who was pushing the merger, the merger flops, and Corp C remains firmly footed in it's place as the worlds leading corp. Proving once again that runners are pawns or cogs in the machine (or what ever cliche you think sounds cool), and that corporate earth really runs everything.

For the original ending you'd have to get spielberg to direct it, but for the alternate ending, you'd have to have John Woo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012