Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL professions?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
eidolon
nm
Shrike30
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Shadowrun dosen't have players and gamemasters.

It has criminals-in-training and devious masterminds.

My usual problem is when the former believe they're the latter...
Apathy
Originally, student,
then military (tanker),
then engineer (civil),
now wageslave (IT).
JesterX
Analyst programmer on a payroll software
KarmaInferno
Holy thread resurrection, batman!

Construction Logistics Engineer. Currently helping rebuild the World Trade Center site.

=)

Cool! We have the technology. Will you build it better than it was before? Better, stronger, faster?
Angelone
Military, Air Defense to be more specific. Before that Fast food manager sleepy.gif
will_rj
Math Teacher here. Now teaching for high schools students and three different Calculus courses in the university.
Suitcase Murphy
I put engineer, because I didn't see student. Actually though, I'm a high school student very passionately into engineering, intending to become an engineer. So for interest-based demographics my vote is valid, but if you're looking at the poll to see what groups have time to spend playing games, it's not.
wargear
I'm somewhat miffed that you didn't think to add "Bartender" to the list. Surely such a hallowed profession as mine deserves to not be lumped in with "Service Industry" biggrin.gif
Vaevictis
All you guys calling yourselves engineers... you might want to be careful when doing so to prospective clients. Make sure you have the legal right to actually call yourself an "engineer." In the USA, some states have funny laws about these things.

(I'm mostly talking to the engineers of the software persuasion, because in some states, anyone who calls themselves a software engineer is automatically in violation of the law. smile.gif )
Snow_Fox
double post, sorry
Snow_Fox
I'm a licenced financial advisor so I had to take 'wage slave' since it was the only thing that fit.

In the time I've been playing Sr I've been student, bill collector (thug?) and on one evening bodyguard(police?).
2bit
Artist wageslave.
lorechaser
I find the list of choices to be fairly telling.

Your options are either one of a few specific professions, student, teacher, or someone who hates their life and their job.

There are actually people out there that work in a corporation or company that aren't engineers or IT, but actually do enjoy their job....

I'm not a wage-slave ala Office Space. But I work in a cube most of the time, and work for a corporation.

So I dunno how to vote. My job has a signficant impact on the functioning of a business, and it is, fairly often, enjoyable. Good enough?
Apathy
I don't think wageslave necesarily requires you to hate your job, and being an engineer or military doesn't mean you don't hate it. Some of us like being cogs in the machine Despair.com
Thanee
multi-millionaire-in-training

Bye
Thanee
The Grifter
Importing/Exporting
Squinky
I was a deputy in a small town for a good 6 years, even got to the point of running the jail for a bit before I got sick of it.

Now I work at a glass shop, which is pretty awesome, and hope to one day do some art proffesionally.
nezumi
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Importing/Exporting

So are you a gunrunner? Or is it drug trafficking?
Musashi
A Student studing 3D Character modeling and Animation
betageek
Used to be a network engineer in the wonderful world of wageslavery.

I gave it all up to run around in an ambulance in New Jersey and NYC for some reason I still haven't quite figured out...
emo samurai
Because you like to help people?
Grinder
It's cool?
Shrike30
Hell, I quit a promising career in the History and Philosophy of Science to do the same thing. nyahnyah.gif Good choice, IMO.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (emo samurai)

If you find yourself afflicted with that desire, working on an ambulance will certainly cure you of it.

(I haven't taken the plunge, but several friends have. To be fair, it's probably a little less soul-sucking outside of NYC.)

~J
emo samurai
Why? Is it gross, and are most of the people you help circling the drain of life or something?
Kagetenshi
Again second-hand, it's not that most of the people are in rough shape, it's that the rough ones are really rough. You have the psych cases who are sometimes as likely to try to hurt you as not, the suicide attempts, the ten-year-old suicide attempts that will, despite the person being lucid at the time, probably be successful, the disemboweled accident victims, the… etc. etc. etc. Plus the occasional person who has a minor nosebleed or something else time-wasting.

It wears on one.

~J
emo samurai
Jesus.
PBTHHHHT
and there's the case of being called out to some bad neighborhood, finding that there isn't an emergency, but you get back to your ambulance... or where you thought you parked it. Oh yeah, did I mention you were in a bad neighborhood?
<Not sure if this one is true, I heard it from someone>

Or there's the case I heard about paramedics who loaded up their shooting victim and then the shooters come up to the ambulance to finish the job. Run?
<This one I've heard about on the news>
Shrike30
EMT is a step on the way to being a firefighter for me. And with any luck, I'm not going to get killed doing it nyahnyah.gif
Black Jack Rackham
I picked Doctor, and while I am a doctor, probably not the kind you meant. I have a Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. And yes, I am the game master, oh my poor poor gamers...

Mark

EDIT: I should have added the ability to psychologically torture players IN game as another reason I especially love SR...
Tiger Eyes
and there's the case of being called out to some bad neighborhood, finding that there isn't an emergency, but you get back to your ambulance... or where you thought you parked it. Oh yeah, did I mention you were in a bad neighborhood?
<Not sure if this one is true, I heard it from someone>

Or there's the case I heard about paramedics who loaded up their shooting victim and then the shooters come up to the ambulance to finish the job. Run?
<This one I've heard about on the news>

But then again, there are the times when you manage to save the life of a mom and her unborn baby... yeah for EMTs! (this one happened to me) So yeah, it may be a tough job but thank god there are people willing to do it!
betageek
QUOTE (emo samurai)

I helped people by being an engineer, too.
Honestly, I know why; it's a more real way of helping people. It's also a way of honoring people that helped me that aren't around anymore.
Still...all that free time in an IT shop, posting on the old forums. No good Internet connection on an ambulance. nyahnyah.gif

I've never had my ambulance stolen: broken into, yes, but not stolen. I've had guns pointed at me, had a knife pulled on me once, lost a 7 week old crack baby and saved a 10 year old with CPR. As Kagetenshi said, it wears on one, and it can definitely suck your soul down a toilet somedays. But I have this eternal optimist inside me that claims it's all for the best.

@ Shrike: I have a friend or two that are firefighters; good luck with that.
I'm doing my refresher now, looking at medic programs in Manhattan and Queens, trying to decide which one will be better for me. Well, one that doesn't conflict too much with nursing school, I should say.
The Grifter
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (The Grifter @ Sep 17 2006, 07:29 PM)
Importing/Exporting

So are you a gunrunner? Or is it drug trafficking?

I'll leave that up to your imagination. wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 14 2006, 01:55 AM)
Construction Logistics Engineer. Currently helping rebuild the World Trade Center site.

Cool! We have the technology. Will you build it better than it was before? Better, stronger, faster?

Indeed. And pretty!

Too bad I can't discuss anything detailed about it, there's several layers of NDA involved.

But it's pretty damn cool.

QUOTE (emo_samurai)
Jesus.

is there a degree for that? what kind of previous experience do they generally require?
Foreigner
I was a proofreader from March of 1988 until I was downsized in August of 2000.

I haven't worked since--not for lack of trying or lack of job opportunities, but because everytime I try to find a job, something goes wrong with my health.

--Foreigner
Grinder
Be awesome! biggrin.gif
emo samurai
QUOTE (Foreigner)
I was a proofreader from March of 1988 until I was downsized in August of 2000.

I haven't worked since--not for lack of trying or lack of job opportunities, but because everytime I try to find a job, something goes wrong with my health.

--Foreigner

That sucks.
betageek
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (emo_samurai)
Jesus.

is there a degree for that? what kind of previous experience do they generally require?

Water into wine? Raising the dead maybe? The whole rising from the dead thing yourself might prove the most difficult...
If it's the living at home 'til you're 30 thing, I know some people that qualify.
Shrike30
I hear there's a fair degree of nepotism involved in getting into that field.
Foreigner
QUOTE (emo samurai)
That sucks.

Emo:

I'm not sure that I agree with your choice of language, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Thanks. smile.gif

--Foreigner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012