Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on Xbox 360 and PC!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
hobgoblin
and that reason is that almost every Superman fan knew that it was a fucktaculously stupid idea in the first place.

hmm, makes me think of the clone saga that hit spider-man at one time. thankfully i never got mixed up in trying to figure it out...

still, it ended up bringing back the green goblin from the dead...

its seems the reason given for the restart of the shadowrun history was that they burned themselfs when trying to make the battletech/mechwarrior based games fit inside the storys.

thing is tho that both people here and on the shadowrun.com forum have shown that you can create a FPS inside the existing shadowrun world with only minor work. personaly im partial for a "desert wars" kinda game. or maybe even "tundra wars", as i think there was talk in sota63 about starting up stuff in the siberian tundra...
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 15 2006, 05:11 AM)
thing is tho that both people here and on the shadowrun.com forum have shown that you can create a FPS inside the existing shadowrun world with only minor work.

There is some "minor work", mostly just learning the setting i think, that could go into the backstory or the setting. But i'll go out on a limb and say i find this idea a bit better than Desert Wars. Urban Brawl too would feel quite contrived, even more so than what they have.

But that still wouldn't help in regard to things like the lack of Combat spells.

The problem is to have a shot of making money they most certainly must be able to sell to a LOT more than just the SR RPG P&P customers. So you need to create a game that is fun to play on it's own, and also stands apart from other games outside of just "it is based on SR". I really don't see a canon SR rules computer game being that engaging on it's own, certainly not one built on a reasonable budget.

In implementing a computer program you have to be very aggresive in thwarting feature bloat. I completely agree that combat spells would be hard to differentiate from guns in funtionality of the game. So they would add little value to the game play. It's likely why Orcs didn't make the cut too.

That's also why teleport and rez came in. So they WOULDN'T be making just another copy cat FPS clone.
hobgoblin
yet both are in a way copycat elements (outside of the teleport thru walls bit)...

combat magic would be diffrent from guns in that they take their "ammo" From the "essense pool" rather then from some clip. ok, so there is the fireball spam problem but the jerk doing will run out at some point. and with the right tech you could maybe get around it (i would guess a well placed flashbang would be nice).

its mostly the magic-negating dwarfs and the regenerating elfs thats irking me these days. the rest could in theory be renamed to conform more with the SR p&p with minimal effort (like say labeling that tree of life as a spirit of man with a healing spell. prerequisite, pick up a healing spell yourself).

i dont know, granting special powers to specific races irks me somhow. that and the statement that they needed to basicly redo the whole setting background frown.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 15 2006, 09:07 AM)
combat magic would be diffrent from guns in that they take their "ammo" From the "essense pool" rather then from some clip. ok, so there is the fireball spam problem but the jerk doing will run out at some point. and with the right tech you could maybe get around it (i would guess a well placed flashbang would be nice).

But by spending the coding effort for spells on things that guns don't do they expand the range of the game moreso.

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 15 2006, 09:07 AM)
yet both are in a way copycat elements (outside of the teleport thru walls bit)...

The rez is relatively rare, and nobody here has managed to come up with the ongoing link to the healer (effectively sustained spell). To clasify a how game as merely a copy cat because a variation of it's elements have been used in other games, and not even together, is a very unrealistic characterization. Damn, take a look around the SR's offical metaplots.

"The world would be a better place if people would just accept that there’s nothing new under the sun, and everything you can do with a person has probably been done long before you got there." - Hooper X, Chasing Amy
Austere Emancipator
Linking a resurrectee to the resurrecter and teleporting through walls can be fun little tricks, but they are not revolutionary new features that make for "innovative gameplay" (as someone who apparently hadn't read anything about the game put it on the shadowrun.com forums) in an otherwise basic, conventional game of CTF. A few such tricks are necessary to make the game something other than Unreal Tournament with slightly different graphics, but "innovative gameplay" requires a lot more. Something on the order of this.
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
But by spending the coding effort for spells on things that guns don't do they expand the range of the game moreso.

and that's bad, in your world?

and, what AE said. linking the resurectee to the resurecter is an innovative detail--one, i might note, that has no place in SR. they can come up with all the neat, innovative crap in the world, and i still won't lay down money for it as long as they persist in calling it Shadowrun.
James McMurray
Spells ending when their caster dies has always been a part of shadowrun. It's that whole "susteained spell" thing. Resurrection isn't an SR concept, but sustained spells certainly is.
mfb
health spells tend to be permanent, though. once you finish casting them, you don't have to sustain them anymore. basically, FASA got something partially right--and then used it completely wrong.
James McMurray
Think of it as a possession spell instead of a health spell if that helps any. They don't fix the body, they just recal the spirit to temporarily animate it.
mfb
sorcery can't summon or banish spirits. moreover, no one in 2070 has managed to perform such a feat, even with conjuring, so making it commonplace in 2021 is pretty much insane.
James McMurray
I didn't say it fit in the SR universe, just that it was a way of getting around the problems with thinking that healing spells have to be permanent. If that opens new problems... sorry. smile.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
its seems the reason given for the restart of the shadowrun history was that they burned themselfs when trying to make the battletech/mechwarrior based games fit inside the storys.

Thats because instead of building a game that fit into the existing story, they wanted to create a whole new type of game that had nothing to do with Battletech, but used the name.

Sound familiar?

So they re-wrote the game to match their craptacular idea, instead of using the greatness that was already their.

One word: EGO

Heaven forbid you expand on someone elses idea. No no, you have to crap all over it and make your own idea, but use their name so that you get the IP.
mfb
my main issue with the "Shadowrun" FPS is that it doesn't fit--at all--with Shadowrun continuity. coming up with theories on how magic works in the "Shadowrun" FPS would be an interesting exercise, one that i would normally get behind... except that i tend to view the "Shadowrun" FPS as a direct insult to SR fans, so exploring it is pretty much the opposite of interesting to me.

in other news, i think i've figured out why this game is such a mockery of SR. it's Microsoft's revenge on Shadowrun for making William W. Gates III an otaku freak.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
in other news, i think i've figured out why this game is such a mockery of SR. it's Microsoft's revenge on Shadowrun for making William W. Gates III an otaku freak.

rotfl.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 15 2006, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)

and that's bad, in your world?

Diverting that same coding effort to Powerbolt instead is bad. In my world coding resources are limited.

Linking a resurrectee to the resurrecter and teleporting through walls can be fun little tricks, but they are not revolutionary new features that make for "innovative gameplay".

*shrug* Capturing spawnpoints to win a game is certainly old hat.

Natural Selection certainly wasn't the first FPS to have a team commander mode to gather intell reports from the team members, set waypoints for resource deployment, and give directions from an overhead map view. I don't recall any that made it a -requirement- to have that position filled, but that's just a fun little trick. Right? :^)
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
Diverting that same coding effort to Powerbolt is.

i'm a fan of doing things right. to me, that means that if you have to extend the total time you spend creating the game in order to match the mechanics and world up with the source material, you do so. partly out of respect for the source material, and partly because, as McMurray pointed out, making a name for yourself as a company that treats IPs with respect is a good way to ensure long-term profit.
James McMurray
Do we know how much time was put into this project versus what the projected revenue was? Keeping in mind that the marketing guys probably figured that every Shadowrun fan would buy the game no matter what it looked like?

If the line was already being skirted I'd rather lose Power Bolt in favor of Heal and Summoning. If not, then yeah, I'd like offensive magic too. It comes down to how much cake there is and how many people are trying to eat it. At some point resources stop being available.

And of course, if it did have offensive magic, people would instead be complaining that it doesn't have improved invisibility, or trid phantasm, or whatever other really cool SR spell didn't make the cut. A lack of offensive magic is definitely an odd place to draw the line, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

And on a side note, is the world about to end or something? I find myself in the unique position of alternating between agreeing with mfb and blakkie. WHAT'S GOING ON???? wink.gif
mfb
*shrug* you're the one that was talking about the financial sense of creating good work as opposed to shoddy work.
James McMurray
Yeah. I know that. thanks for pointing it out though. wink.gif
mfb
i see you're still under the impression that i disagreed with you on that point. regardless, you don't see the relationship between that statement and the time versus projected revunue statement you just made?
James McMurray
I definitely see the relation. More time means more revenue but higher up front costs. Less time means more revenue but the risk of a shoddier product lowering sales. It's a balancing act between resources and results.

Why would you think I think you're disagreeing with me just because I told you that I knew what I already said?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
Natural Selection certainly wasn't the first FPS to have a team commander mode to gather intell reports from the team members, set waypoints for resource deployment, and give directions from an overhead map view.

That's not nearly all the human team commander does in NS, nor does that even touch upon all the other things that NS does different from all the other popular multiplayer FPSs that were around when it came out. But, if you think that fantasy races and a few spells are as big a leap in gameplay from UT2k# and CS:S as NS is from CS, DoD, etc., then I doubt I can convince you otherwise.
Shrike30
NS was, as far as I know, the first game to give ONE SIDE a commander (and have the other side use an integrated HUD/"overmind notifications" system to compensate), and still manage to balance it. I've also not seen a game where the commander has the option to manipulate the automated parts of the environment (opening doors, cycling elevators, etc), handles research, dispenses equipment, and establishes structural objects for the other players to set up. Of course, my gaming experience isn't hugely diverse, either, but these were features new to me in an FPS.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Why would you think I think you're disagreeing with me just because I told you that I knew what I already said?

mainly because i'm dealing with a sarcastic ass. so when you thank me for agreeing with you, i tend to assume you think i disagreed at some point.

at any rate, like i said: i'm a fan of doing things right. if it can't be done right for a reasonable cost, the choice to me is between not doing it and doing it right at unreasonable cost. i understand there are other ways of going about projects; for those who use those other methods, i reserve the right to put $ in their company name.
James McMurray
Understandable. smile.gif

You might be gifting me with more finesse then I've actually got though. Sometimes a sentence is just a sentence. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ May 15 2006, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
Natural Selection certainly wasn't the first FPS to have a team commander mode to gather intell reports from the team members, set waypoints for resource deployment, and give directions from an overhead map view.

That's not nearly all the human team commander does in NS, nor does that even touch upon all the other things that NS does different from all the other popular multiplayer FPSs that were around when it came out. But, if you think that fantasy races and a few spells are as big a leap in gameplay from UT2k# and CS:S as NS is from CS, DoD, etc., then I doubt I can convince you otherwise.

Just using different metahuman names instead of different 'classes' of gear/armor on humans is no big deal at all. I certainly said no such thing. Or "a few spells" just for being spells. But how those specific spells, rez and the teleport, work in the game seem like they are going to matter (the vine block one does sound interesting but i doubt that is ground breaking). Does Natural Selection represent a larger "leap"? Since the size of the leap is really only important in the context of a given direction that is a rather esoteric question.

Is it enough different from other FPS squad vs.? Maybe, especially given the timing on the platform. The point is that it is does have a difference and it has the potential to bring about a game play different that is meaningful. I do think the single biggest thing that sets it appart right now though is playing together cross-platform.

But these cries of "make it original, not copy cat" is just a bullshit red herring anyway. How many people here have advocated, both before and after the E3 announcement, effectively making a "copy cat" of Deus Ex? wobble.gif

Just tried to hunt down a report on the actual E3 Shadowrun demo (not the CGI trailer). I'm not sure exactly which metric was being used for determining "most anticipated", but it wouldn't seem to line up with internet gaming press run. smile.gif Judging from the sparse comments made about the E3 demo they are either not using the UT 2007 engine, they are running with an outdated build of the UT 2007 engine, or they really, really suck at models, skins, and textures. Hard to tell myself from the crappy resolution video clips IGN has.

Another thought has occured to me. This game's real purpose [to MS] might be partially a technology demo of Live Anywhere. The Shadowrun license being used as more of a throw-away, which doesn't seem out of line with what i'd imagine it's worth to Microsoft was. Who knows, if sales really tank they might end up putting it into a bundle with the 360 console later on and/or bundling it with the PC Live Anywhere product (if they have one).
James McMurray
If they count how long people have been wanting a Shadowrun game that could bump it up to "most anticipated" pretty easily. How many other games out there can say people have been asking for it for a decade?
blakkie
Ten years times dick all is still startlingly close to dick all. In the face of 100's of thousands of Halo fanbois it seems even less.
James McMurray
True, but you're saying that from the perspective of somebody not in FASA Studio's marketing staff. smile.gif
blakkie
The perspective of some hack spinning total, utter PR bullshit? Yes, I suppose I am not.
mfb
re: anticipation of an SR video game, i present the following link.
blakkie
Ah, it's one of the six unannounced that are "all at the top of everyone’s “most wanted” list for the Xbox 360". Ya, everyone is special...which would mean noone is. indifferent.gif
mfb
you're making even less sense than usual.
blakkie
Translation: Without sarcasm intended, i thank you for that link as that clears up a lot.

I come away from that article with the impression that the results of a survey, with a massive sample set consisting of "everyone", show that in a catagory consisting of somewhere around 6 games Shadowrun is definately right up there in the top 6 when ranked by “most wanted”. cool.gif
mfb
could be. it's certainly possible they picked 6 games they knew were in production and said "which of these six do you anticipate most?". but... eh. rigged poll or not, i can see SR being a hot property. FASA Interactive did a great job with Crimson Skies 2, after all, and the Mechwarrior series, while not a top seller, hasn't been a disappointment.
blakkie
I suspect if they have considered making an RPG they probably just followed your criteria of "do it well or don't do it at all" and decided they couldn't make money on a well done SR RPG. I get the impression reading the "Screw All This SR Baggage" manifesto that they even considered it not feasible to "do it well" putting together a canon compliant FPS, so they didn't do that either.

Then they decided to do the next best thing (in their eyes) and take a shot at doing a SR [themed] FPS well. Just is their idea of doing it well focused almost entirely on enjoyment of the FPS game and any vaguely inconvinent SR canon details got tossed under the software development bus.
mfb
what i really love is their reasoning for not using the established history. they didn't know who to please--the PnP fans, the novel fans, or the game fans. as if those are all seperate, squabbling fanbases.
blakkie
Ya, it's just one single squabbling fanbase. rotfl.gif Not picking any of them at that point, to me, just gave it the reek of empty rationalization for taking a "just screw it" approach.
hobgoblin
given that the novels are close to the p&p in story (if not in "physics") and the console games are so old, i would have expected them to go with the P&P and forget about the rest.

strange thing is that you see all sorts of action and proper rpgs based on d&d and the diffrent worlds (mostly forgotten realms but now there is eberron with the d&d online), but you never see them feeling the need to call it forgotten realms while puting it into a whole diffrent world.

still i guess the reason for that is that they licence rather then own the IP rights for those worlds. fasa interactive dont have to care about followin a licence as they own the IP rights for a computer interpetation of the old fasa rpgs and other games.
mfb
indeed. i believe it's laziness and/or selfishness. crafting a story that meshes with the existing world would take work and research. they want to tell stories involving magic and cyberpunk elements--their own stories--while retaining the SR brand recognition.
blakkie
Comparing D&D to SR you have to keep a few things in mind.

The FR D&D stuff tends to just use FR names, and they don't bother put FR on the cover (the setting is quite popular, i'd hazard a guess their most popular setting line long running). FR is also set up as the kind of world where you can find a spot to wedge in pretty much -anything-, it's a pretty flexible setting that way. I don't know anything about the D&D MMO, i have had zero interest in that.

D&D itself tends to be a lot less constrained in some ways than SR in that a lot of what is thought of as "norm" for things like magic are heavily influenced by D&D itself, and the rules are built as general rules with multiple interpretations open. SR, with it's very tight rules/setting binding, does not have that to nearly the same degree.

Also keep in mind that that outside of the gold box AD&D games they had some pretty horrendous AD&D computer games before Balder's Gate. WotC seems to have been pretty good about selecting who they select for licenses, and they also have made a very conscience effort to make their rules computer friendly (i.e. 2 times out of 3 they know a revenue source when they see it). So it's something that goes both ways, and without the effort coming from the P&P it has a hell of a lot less chance of flying.

P.S. The line between fiscal prudence and "laziness" and/or "selfishness" is pretty blurry at times.
mfb
i can't imagine how fiscal prudence might lead to completely rewriting a setting. that's the worst part--it's an FPS, the story is just fluff. slap in Aztechnology as the corporation and Amazonia as the hippies, and voila.
Dranem
Another thing to remember about D&D is that WotC purchased ALL rights to everything D&D... meaning they have a say in how games are developped.

Fasa Studios does NOT need permission from FanPro or WizKids to produce a Shadowrun game. This difference is the primary reason that the upcoming game will suck, because there's no control between the computer game developpers and the RPG developpers.
blakkie
It seems they changed the time to avoid some other issues like tech levels, or just trying to avoid the details of SR history altogether by picking what seems to be sort of a blank spot. So Amazonia doesn't exist. Not sure about Aztech. Though having one of the big 10 names would be a nice nod to P&P players, RNA as the big bad corp at this point on the timeline is no big thing (it's pre-crash, so pretty much anything could have happened to it including a name change or merger to become Aztech). There are other things though that were changed around like dropping orks, elfs/dwarfs goblinizing, and adding teleports and rezes...which the people making the decisions might have only been vaguely aware of as issues.

So there you are designing a game. You look to the left, you look to the right. There is nobody helping or even particularly caring deeply about the P&P canon, or even helping you to understand what conflict between the novels and the P&P (and those previous console games) there might be. Just a lot a people caring about making a fun computer game with likely some requirements from the mothership about a game on both Windows and Xbox 360 that is going to compell people to play crossplatform and so on. This is a serious pressure cooker situation, and the design docs are flowing red with cuts to try get the scope down to something that can be implemented within the total alloted budge and still have a playable, marketable game.

To make it worse those damn artsy graphic freaks have already eaten up 5% just twiddling around with concept art and early 3d models, and another 5% was spent on something labeled as a "focus group marketing retreat" which you suspect was actually the original management team sending themselves off on a weekend bender junket to Tijuana. cool.gif

Without a champion to aid, remind, and occationally brow-beat guess how far down the list does canon slip? What we see is the natural outcome of a lack of representation. frown.gif
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
It seems they changed the time to avoid some other issues like tech levels, or just trying to avoid the details of SR history altogether by picking what seems to be sort of a blank spot.

the thing is, that's not what they're doing. their intention, as stated on the site by the lead developer, is to completely rebuild the entire history of SR.

as for job pressure causing canon to slip down the list, i have no sympathy for them because that is the job they chose. if they want a low-pressure job, there are plenty of fast-food joints looking for burger-flippers.
blakkie
It's not a matter of being unable to handle the job pressure. It's the reality of making things work. Going into that job with a "everything or nothing" attitude that you are exponsing would ensure disaster. At some point you have to say "good enough" because there is always more scope that could added. Buckling into that creates feature creep which is deadly to a software project.

People that handle the pressure make the tough choices best the can with the info at hand and cut what has to be cut to make it work. People that don't handle the pressure buckle and doom their product to an innevitable shipdate slip or out and out canceling.

So it is lack of a resource supporting the license's canon. Normally that is the job of the person/company with the non-computer product. It isn't really the design guy's or even FASA Interactive's or Microsoft's job to be that voice AND listen to the voice.
mfb
"good enough" doesn't mean there aren't standards that can be set. choosing to place canon on the list of thing that you can skip is dirty and cheap.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 02:40 PM)
"good enough" doesn't mean there aren't standards that can be set. choosing to place canon on the list of thing that you can skip is dirty and cheap.

It is entirely reasonable to cut back on it if you don't readily have the info and expertise to implement. In the end you can only make decisions on what you have in front of you. Sure you could go out and try track it down and research it yourself. But that's just something else that you don't have time for in your 80+ hour week. Going out and trying do someone else's while abondoning yours is a good way to not get your job done, and ultimately get yourself turfed.

EDIT: Of course they could have tried to hire someone on with a solid SR petigree and Microsoft could have assigned a priority to that. But to what end? Here we get back to what they are trying to sell, and what they think the biggest chunk of market is willing to pay for. SR with computer game flavour or a computer game with SR flavour. They think computer game with SR flavour. If they are right that isn't lazy, that is called listening. If they are wrong it is called fucking up.

It isn't personal.
mfb
no, it's not. the whole point of using someone else's IP, from a creative standpoint, is to tell your stories in their world. it's not so you can rewrite everything from the ground up. if you want to do that, then don't slap the IP on the title of your project--you're not using the IP, just the brand recognition.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2006, 03:03 PM)
no, it's not. the whole point of using someone else's IP, from a creative standpoint, is to tell your stories in their world. it's not so you can rewrite everything from the ground up. if you want to do that, then don't slap the IP on the title of your project--you're not using the IP, just the brand recognition.

They aren't using the whole of the IP, just what they see as the core themes/flavour that resonate with a wide audience of people. Brand recognition is part of it. But delivering what people like is what'll eventually seal the deal.

Believe it or not the minuteia of SR history doesn't have that broad of audience. SR itself isn't that huge to start with, and you would get a blank slackjawed stare if you heard what passes for SR history at most tables. Partialy because they don't have access to all the books, but mostly because they don't really care.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012