Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Public Th.D Programs in the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kalvan
I disagree on the paradigm stranglehold Renewed Hermeticism is supposed to have on North America. Oh, I think Renewed Hermeticism is the majority paradigm, but its share of Th.D grants I would probably say would be at most 55%.

The following is a list of UCAS, CAS, and CFS Public Universities I believe would have Th.D programs, and sometimes with a paradigm after it mentioned.

UCAS:

Prince Edward Island:
University of Prince Edward Island

Nova Scotia:
Halifax University

Maine:
University of Maine, Orono (Classical Hermeticism)
University of Southern Maine (Renewed Hermeticism)

Massachusetts:
MIT&T: Renewed Hermeticism and Unified Magicians (Split Down the Middle)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst (Classical Hermeticism)
University of Massachusetts, Boston (Renewed Ritualism)

Connecticut:
University of Connecticut, Storrs (Renewed Hermeticism)

New York:
Cornell University (Classical Hermeticism [Private Section attatched to Humanities Department] Shamanism [Public Section attatched to the Anthropology Department of the College of Human Relations)
CUNY Syatem
SUNY Albany
SUNY Binghamton
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Rochester
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY A&T Alfred

Pennsylvania:
Pennsylvania State University, State College
University of Pittsburgh
Temple University, Philadelphia
Lincoln University of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg
Indiana University of Pennsylvania

New Jersey:
Rutgers University-New Brunswick/East Rutherford
Rutgers University- Camden
New Jersey State University, Trenton (Formerly College of New Jersey)
University of New Jersey (Formerly Jersey City State University)

Delaware:
University of Delaware

Maryland:
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Maryland, Baltimore
University of Maryland, Ann Arundel County (Formerly UMBC)
University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
Towson University
Morgan State University

North Virginia:
North Virginia State University (Formerly George Mason)

West Virginia:
West Virginia University
Marshall University

Kentucky:
University of Kentucky (Renewed Hermeticism)
University of Louisville (Classical Hermeticism)
Kentucky State University (Pythagoreans)
Western Kentucky University(Renewed Ritualism)

Ohio:
Ohio State University
Ohio University
Miami University of Ohio
University of Cincinatti
Cleveland State University

Indiana:
Indiana University, Bloomington
Purdue University, West Lafayette
Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis
Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne
Indiana State University

Illinois:
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana (Renewed Ritualism)
University of Illinois at Chicago (Renewed Hermeticism)
Illinois State University (Classical Hermeticism)
Southern Illinois University (Unified Magic Theory)

Iowa:
University of Iowa
Iowa State University

Missouri:
University of Missouri, Columbia
University of Missouri, Kansas City
Lincoln University of Missouri
Truman State University

Kansas:
University of Kansas, Lawrence
Kansas State University, Manhattan
Witchita State University

Nebraska:
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
University of Nebraska, Omaha
Nebraska State University (Formerly University of Nebraska, Kearney)

South Dakota:
University of South Dakota
Dakota State University

North Dakota:
North Dakota State University
North Dakota Instutute of Technology and Thaumaturgy

Manioba-Saskatchewan:
University of Manitoba-Saskatchewan, Winnipeg

West Ontario:
University of West Ontario

Minnesota:
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Wisconsin:
University of Wisconsin, Madison
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Wisconsin State University, Octonomowoc

Michigan:
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Classical Hermeicisim attached to the Humanities college, Renewed Hermeticism Attached to the Applied Sciences college, and shamanism attached t the Anthropology department)
Michigan State University (Renewed Hermeticism. Bitter Rivalry with UMichigan)
Wayne State University (Concordance Alchemy Attached to the Chemistry Department)
Central Michigan University (Shamanism, attached to the Anthropology Departmant)
Michigan Tech University (Renewed Ritualism Attached to the Business School, Pythagoreans Attached to the Engineering School)

Ontario:
University of Windsor
University of Sudbury
University of Central Ondario
University of Toronto

Rump Colorado:
University of Colorado, Boulder
University of Colorado, Denver
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs

Seattle:
University of Washington
Washington Institute of Technology, Tacoma

CAS:

Virginia:
University of Virginia, Charlottesville (Renewed Hermeticism)
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Renewed Ritualism)
College of William and Mary (Classical Hermeticism)
Virginia Commonwealth University (United Magical Theory)
Old Dominion University (Renewed Hermeticism, specializing water and sea magic and the conjuration of water elementals)

North Carolina:
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
North Carolina State University
University of North Carolina, Charlotte
North Carolina AT&T University
East Carolina University

South Carolina:
University of South Carolina, Columbia
Clemson University
College of Charleston
Coastal Carolina University

Gerogia:
University of Georgia (Classical Hermeticism)
Georgia Institute of Technology (Renewed Hermeticism, Pythagoreans)
Georgia State University (Renewed Hermeticism, Voodoo through the Anthropology Department)
Georgia Southern University (Very small Classical Hermeticism program)

Florida:
University of Florida, Gainsville
University of Florida, Talahassee (Formerly Florida State University)
University of Florida, Tampa Bay (Formerly University of South Florida)
University of Florida, Orlando (Formerly Univeristy of Central Florida)
University of Florida, Fort Myers (Formerly Florida Gulf Coast University)
University of Florida, Jacksonville (Formerly University of North Florida)
Florida A&M University
Florida Institute of Technology

Alabama:
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
Auburn University, Auburn
University of Alabama, Birmingham
University of Alabama, Huntsville
Troy University
University of South Alabama

Tennessee:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Renewed Hermeticim)
Tennessee Tech University (Pythagoreans)
East Tennessee State University
Middle Tennessee State University
University of Memphis

Mississippi:
Ole Miss Univeristy
Mississippi State Univeristy
University of Southern Mississippi
Jackson State Univeristy

Louisisna:
Louisiana State University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge
University of New Orleans
University of Louisiana, Lafayette
Louisiana Tech University

Texas:*
University of Texas, Austin (Classical Hermeticism)
Texas A&M&M University, College Station (Renewed Hermeticism, renowned paracritter studies program, largest Alchemy program and critter experimention program in NA.)
University of Houston
Texas Tech University
University of Texas, Arlington
University of Texas, Dallas(Pythagoreans)
Texas Southern University
University of North Texas
University of Texas-Texas A&M&M University, Galveston

Oklahoma:
University of Oklahoma, Norman
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma City
Langston University
Cameron University

Arkansas:
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
University of Arkansas, Little Rock
Arkansas State University
Arkansas Tech University

South Missouri:
South Missouri University (Formerly University of Missouri-Saint Louis)
South Missouri State University, Springfield (Formerly Missouri State University)

California Free State: &
University of California, Daivs
University of California, Merced
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of California, Santa Clara
University of California, Santa Barbara
Califronia Polyechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
California State University, Fresno

* University of Texas at San Antonio, Permian Basin, El Paso, and Pan American and TEXAS A&M&M at Commerce, Kingswood, Corpus Christi, and International are occupied by Aztlan and don't count.

& UCLA, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, San Diego State, Cal State LA, and Cal State Dominguez Hills are under water and don't count. U.C. Imperial Valley, U.C. Riverside, Cal State San Bernardino, and Cal State Northridge are occupied by the Pueblo Coroprate Council and don't count. UC Eureka, UC, Redding, and Cal State Chico are occupied by Tir Tairngire and don't count. University of California, Berkley is now the Peoples University of Berkley and I don't believe they've returned to the U.C. fold.

Anybody want to suggest a paradigm for any particular college?
Ancient History
Heh heh. Looks like Damien Knight must have gone to the University of Florida.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Huh?
Kanada Ten
University of Illinois at Chicago was Renewed Hermeticism, specializing in elemental summoning and likely enchanting elemental summoning materials. But it's probably delegated to "Bug Studies" after 2058, assuming they open it again.
Ancient History
QUOTE (emo samurai)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 21 2006, 12:07 PM)

Huh?

Take a look at the Carib League (er, Florida). Screams hostile takeover.
badwithmath
Two schools you might want to add to the list, unless you have already thought about and rejected them:

Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. Its a private school, huge endowment, and is currently has very strong research in biology, bio-engineering and non-primary care medicine. Plus, its supposed to be the "Harvard of the South"

Tulsa University in Tulsa, OK. A private school and its particularly good at chemical engineering, I think.

Some others I can think of, but I'm not sure if they have been addressed in sourcebooks...Tufts in Boston...Dartmouth....Princeton University...Yale.
Smilin_Jack
For Texas I'd say the University of Texas @ Dallas would be a more likely candidate for teaching a Hermetic tradition than UT:Arlington. UTD is a much more technically oriented school than UTA.

Kalvan
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 21 2006, 12:44 PM)
University of Illinois at Chicago was Renewed Hermeticism, specializing in elemental summoning and likely enchanting elemental summoning materials.  But it's probably delegated to "Bug Studies" after 2058, assuming they open it again.

Then that probably makes Urbana-Champagne Renewed Ritualism and Illinois State Classical Hermeticism
Kalvan
QUOTE (badwithmath)
Two schools you might want to add to the list, unless you have already thought about and rejected them:

Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. Its a private school, huge endowment, and is currently has very strong research in biology, bio-engineering and non-primary care medicine. Plus, its supposed to be the "Harvard of the South"

Tulsa University in Tulsa, OK. A private school and its particularly good at chemical engineering, I think.

Some others I can think of, but I'm not sure if they have been addressed in sourcebooks...Tufts in Boston...Dartmouth....Princeton University...Yale.

Vanderbilt is a Private school.

I Know Cornell is too, but as NewYork's land grant school, they sneak in by the back door.
SL James
That's a great list, but may I suggest actually considering what is canon as schools even worth mentioning? That way it also reduces the number to a handful of quality schools in North America (and about twice as many with private). Everything else... Well, it's like going to a party school like ASU to study Computer Engineering. Possible, but useless.

UCLA (First Th.D program in the world), Texas A&M, MIT&M, Cal Tech, and UW. Also Lakehead U, but that's more shamanic.

Private schools add Seattle U, Georgetown, Harvard, USC, UChicago, and Columbia.

Also, UCLA would not be underwater. Westwood is on a hillside creeping up to the mountains. It's higher than ~80% of the L.A. basin. CalTech definitely wouldn't be either, being in Pasadena and all.
Kalvan
Thing is, though, not everybody with a ThD who's running the shadows or an extraction target comes from the canon list.

In addition, certain states (Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Michigan, and yes, California come to mind) have a reputation for a commitment to public reputation above and beyond the call of the "Party School" stereotype.

The Big Ten is regarded as third brainiest sports conference in America (After the Ivy League and the New England Small Conference).

Other really good state colleges include Miami of Ohio, William and Mary, College of Charleston, and all of Florida's research universities (Which together behave more like the U.C. system than the situation in Texas or Michigan.)

I will admit that the talent is rarer than say, the aptitude for physical medicine. However, the startup costs for starting a ThD program consist mainly of hiring the teaching staff, plus lodge and materials costs that must be far cheaper than 21st century medical equipment. (Though I will concede that orichalcum and magic radicals will cost about as much as radioisotope tracers.)
Demonseed Elite
Cornell University (Classical Hermeticism [Private Section attatched to Humanities Department])

As an alum, I'd agree with that. I'd also be pretty surprised if Cornell didn't have some sort of shamanism program, since they have close ties to a number of native nations through the American Indian Program and Akwe:kon (where I lived for a couple years wink.gif ).
emo samurai
What about Carleton? They have a Druids club; hello automatically known metamagics and blood sacrifices! Whodathunk that a Midwestern college would rule most of Europe?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Kalvan)
Ohio:
Ohio State University
Ohio University
Miami University of Ohio
University of Cincinatti

Just commenting on the schools that I deal with regularly:

Ohio State would definitely have a Th.D. degree. No question about it.

It'd surprise me a great deal if Ohio University, Miami of Ohio, or Cleveland State would. All three are much smaller schools which are more focused on undergraduate than graduate programs. When speaking of a field that's less than 60 years old, and which can only be practiced by 1% of the population, it seems unlikely that they'd have the facilities to have developed enough faculty to support post graduate degrees.

University of Cincinnati could go either way. They've got a much larger graduate program, so it wouldn't be at all unreasonable for them to have a program.

In terms of private schools -- Ohio's a state with a ton of small liberal arts schools. It wouldn't surprise me if many of these had decent undergraduate Thaumaturgy degrees. However, I doubt that many of them would have graduate programs that extended beyond the Masters degree level.

It's also very possible that several of these schools would create a collaborative graduate program for a Th.D. This could be similar to the NorthEast Ohio Universities College of Medicine that several schools collaborate on. This particular example includes the University of Akron and the University of Toledo.

I'd expect that Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland (a Private school) would have a solid doctoral program. But, I can't really think of any other private schools in Ohio that definitely would.
SL James
QUOTE (Kalvan @ May 21 2006, 07:54 PM)
Thing is, though, not everybody with a ThD who's running the shadows or an extraction target comes from the canon list.

Duh.

I was just making a point of listing the good schools.
Kalvan
QUOTE (the_dunner @ May 21 2006, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Kalvan @ May 21 2006, 11:55 AM)
Ohio:
Ohio State University
Ohio University
Miami University of Ohio
University of Cincinatti

It'd surprise me a great deal if Ohio University, Miami of Ohio, or Cleveland State would. All three are much smaller schools which are more focused on undergraduate than graduate programs. When speaking of a field that's less than 60 years old, and which can only be practiced by 1% of the population, it seems unlikely that they'd have the facilities to have developed enough faculty to support post graduate degrees.

The game is set 65 years or so from now. That's plenty of time for Ohio, Miami, and Cleveland State to grow to Cincinatti size, if not quite Ohio State.

I mean, Ohio has a medical school.

How about:

Ohio College of Alchemy

Southwestern Ohio Universities College of Thaumaturgy (Joint operation between Miami, Wright State, and Central State)

Northwestern Ohio Universities College of Thaumaturgy (Joint operation between Toledo and Bowling Green State)

Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Thaumaturgy (Joint opperation between Cleaveland State, Akron, Kent State, and Youngstown State.)

(And in the Spirit of Texas A&M&M and MIT&T) Ohio Aerospace and Astral Space Institute biggrin.gif
toturi
Might want to add in the Service Schools too. I bet they teach military-oriented magic as well.
Kalvan
QUOTE (toturi)
Might want to add in the Service Schools too. I bet they teach military-oriented magic as well.

Army still may be at West Point, But Annapolis and Quanitco are uncomfortably close to the CAS, and Colorado Springs is surrounded by the NAN on all sides.

Then there's the fact that we don't know where the CAS academies are. (I'm guessing that VMI is now Confederate Army, Citadel Is Confederate Marine Corps, and Air Force is either Alabama-Huntsville or Tennessee-Tullahoma. That still leaves Confederate Navy and Confederate Coast Guard.)
The ubbergeek
What about Quebec? I have a mage from there...
Dog
Did you make up the list of universities, or get it from somewhere?
The Universities of Manitoba and Saskatchewan are very separate entities, and about 600 km apart. There're two Universities in Winnipeg. U of W, the smaller one, is considered more humanities-oriented. If anything, given the cultural diversity of the area, you're more likely to see other traditions studied around here.
Does that help?
Kalvan
QUOTE (Dog)
Did you make up the list of universities, or get it from somewhere?
The Universities of Manitoba and Saskatchewan are very separate entities, and about 600 km apart.

Except that (I Believe) The University of Sasktchewan is now in NAN territory, and so is beyond the scope of the article.

Dog
Yes, it would be. I could see changing the name to allow for the Gappers that moved out of the NAN. I'm not saying it's not plausible for the sixth world, but did you get this from somewhere or speculate it up yourself?
Lindt
QUOTE (Kalvan)
SUNY Stony Brook

Odds are this wouldent have a Phd program at all. IIRC itsjust barely a masters granting school now. Plus its in the middle of ass no where in NY state.
Kalvan
QUOTE (Lindt)
Odds are this wouldent have a Phd program at all. IIRC itsjust barely a masters granting school now. Plus its in the middle of ass no where in NY state.

Funny, I could have sworn otherwise.
Lindt
*blink* shussh... I had it confused for Delhi...

Throw me a bone, I went to Morrisville for 2 years. That will rot anyones brain.
iron mouser
Not that it really matters much, or it might, but the three big universities in San Diego are all built on the top of mesas, so none of them would be flooded. UC San Diego would now be on one of the La Jolla islands, University of San Diego would be on the Kearny Mesa coast and San Diego State University would be beach front on the now always flooded Mission Valley.

As I said, not that it really matters, since they are all in Aztlan territory now. wink.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kalvan)
QUOTE (toturi @ May 21 2006, 10:28 PM)

Army still may be at West Point, But Annapolis and Quanitco are uncomfortably close to the CAS, and Colorado Springs is surrounded by the NAN on all sides.

Then there's the fact that we don't know where the CAS academies are. (I'm guessing that VMI is now Confederate Army, Citadel Is Confederate Marine Corps, and Air Force is either Alabama-Huntsville or Tennessee-Tullahoma. That still leaves Confederate Navy and Confederate Coast Guard.)

Leave the UCAS Naval Academy where it is and put the CAS Naval Academy at Norfolk or Portsmouth and you have a great rivalry set up opening all sorts of potential College Fun Runs.
SL James
I think the states of Virginia and South Carolina would mind having their respective military-oriented schools appropriated.
Kalvan
QUOTE (SL James)
I think the states of Virginia and South Carolina would mind having their respective military-oriented schools appropriated.

Well, it was a matter of pride for both institutions that they only narrowly escaped being comandeered for what West Point and Quantico ended up with (And no, I don't mean the FBI Academy).
Kalvan
bump.
Kalvan
Bump.
Prospero
In one of my games, I had UW open the UCAS's first Wujen program. It was having trouble getting accredited, but the UW was pushing hard for it (read: calling on alumni with, um, "non-traditional methods of problem avoidance") since they'd spent a good chunk of cred and that having the first UCAS wujen program would be a huge coup in academic circles. Wuxing was all for it and "helping things along".
Kalvan
QUOTE (Prospero)
In one of my games, I had UW open the UCAS's first Wujen program.

Madison or Seattle?
stevebugge
Judging by the post writers location I think it's fairly safe to say he's referring to the Dawg Pound!
Prospero
Yep, University of Washington.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (SL James @ May 21 2006, 05:09 PM)
Also, UCLA would not be underwater. Westwood is on a hillside creeping up to the mountains. It's higher than ~80% of the L.A. basin. CalTech definitely wouldn't be either, being in Pasadena and all.

Well, the entirety of Los Angeles is several hundred feet above sea level, so we're already dealing with a mysterious new kind of water which sticks to the sides of mountains and runs uphill. nyahnyah.gif

Also the People's University of Berkeley I think is still considered accredited. At least I have vague memories of people with degrees from the People's University holding certain offices that would kinda require actual recognized degrees in their field of study. But then I'm rather vocal in my dislike of nearly everything that's been written about California, so naturally I'd like to pump up the one thing I did like about the state. The US abandoning the state of California to hold onto Seattle? Seriously?

Besides, it's abbreviated PUB. How can you not love that? biggrin.gif
Kalvan
Bump!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012