Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Gang of Rebels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ludomastro
The rich southern sun had been beating down on the muggy streets of the Big Easy all day. Not a cloud in sight. The weatherman on the trid had been saying that the temperature was only 87F (or 31C if you prefer) but it had felt more like 95F (35C) with all the humidity and the concrete in the city. The only respite was the occasional breeze coming off the Gulf.
JDragon
As Hack'ed steps outside from the airconditioned coffin motel hes been crashing, he has to stop to catch his breath as the heat & humidity hit him. Damn, this sure ain't Seattle. Well I guess I best check in with Smiley and see if maybe hes got some work for me today. He then looks both directions down the street, then turns and starts the short walk to the dive Smiley is bouncing at.

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
1800: The Club Mix

Smiley is standing at the door of The Club Mix, one of the several dives in town that tried to make a name for themselves by claiming they cater to all types. In reality they basically cater to the orks and trolls of the world. Smiley - an older ork who could pass for human from a distance - is at his usual place next to the door. He motions you inside as business is a little slow right now and asks, "Hey, son, whats you doin' today?"

[ Spoiler ]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Jack finishes his cool shower and gets dressed in his "business attire." Clothes do make the man, even if they are far too stuffy. With his sidearm in place, his commlink up and running and breakfast on the table (ah, Nerps™ and soymilk. Breakfast of champions!) he logs into his message bank and scrolls through to see if anyone left him a message. He put out the word that he was not taking any more penny-ante jobs. Hopefully his contacts took him seriously.
JDragon
1800: The Club Mix

"Nut'n much, you?" Hack'ed stpes in to the realtive cool of the the club, and moves over next to Smiley and leans against the wall. "Just checkin' in see if you got any work for your new best chummer." Hack'ed smiles as responds, scanning the club.

[ Spoiler ]
Kiedo
Time. When your at the bottom of a bottle that word has no meaning.

Wes sat, in the corner of his favorite bar, Chicken Foot Pete's, going home as he liked to call it. All his life he had moved around, never staying in any one place too long, and by his measure the only thing, that was always every where he went, was booze. He was crawling slowly towards the bottom of a bottle of synthetic scotch, telling anybody who'd listen to him his stories about long dead friends and great battles. But nobody would. For better or worse, Wesley Draconis Spire, was a drunk. And nobody listens to drunks. Sure they might sit next to him and nod in all the right places when his voice hits a spot that merits one, but they never listen, not really. It didn't help that most of the time he wasn't talking to them anyway.

"What the hell happened to me," he muttered.
That bottle of scotch happened to you my friend, the ever present voice of raven answered back.
"Naw, that's not true, this is home," he says gesturing with the bottle like it was some sacred artifact.
Only if you let it be, all you have to do is stop

He shook his head hard, like there was some type of monster bug of his face that if he touch would certainly kill him. "I've lost my thirst now, you happy, raven," he say his fallen compatriot's name slowly and filled with contempt.
yes
Staggering, he stands from the booth that he had claimed, and made his way precaiously to the bar.

"C-can you hold on to this for me my good man," he says to the bartender, holding out the half empty bottle of scotch. Wes wasn't particularly a pesimist but that's what he thought his life was. Half empty. His oldest and most trusted friend lay dead thousands of miles away, the woman he loved was off in some country ending in "stan" on important buisness, and his new best friend, Davin Grey, was in back in Seattle trying to manage his night club. Except for the few guys he knew around Nawlans, he was completely alone.

Except for me, I'm always there for you even if your not always there for me

Well there was Raven.

The bartender to Wes' relief agreed to hold the bottle in the drawer of safe keeping, as he called it, until asked for. Which from Wes' perspective, wether he knew it or not would probably be the next time he walked through the doors of this place. But that wasn't his concern right now, he needed to get back home, and sober up, there was a job coming. He could feel it.

Stumbling out the door, almost knocking over a woman walking a dog, the sun hits him like a troll swinging a sledge hammer. "Drek, if I'm not sober before I get home I'm going to puke," in an almost comical, but mostly pathetic, manor he takes off his jacket and tucks it under his arm. If he knew it was time to "go home" he never went in packing, which was good too, because a pair of Lone Star officers on bikes rode by almost as soon as he started walking, and if he had had his piece strapped to his hip he'd probably have some explaining to do.

The New Olreans sun beat down on Wes, making him wonder if this was how last night's soydogs had felt, but he was tough and kept moving despite the fact he was plastered to the wall, so to speak.

"Ahhh, my home away from home," which was what he called any place his life that wasn't liquid and alcoholic. His home in fact was nothing more than a run down shack about fifteen blocks from the infamous Bourbon street. The rent was cheap because the gangs were bad, but he didn't care, even drunk he felt sorry for the poor sap who'd try and break in his house.

It took him almost five full minutes to rummage in his pockets for his keys only to remember he didn't have keys and punched in the code that unlocked the door. "5. 9. 4." he said aloud as he hit the corresponding keys, not thinking that anyone who cared to listen now had his passcode. He was drunk.

Don't use that as a crutch Wes, your sick. You have a disease.
"Knock it off with your drug store phsycology, I'm not interested," he said hoarsely and he walked into the crummy place. Before he had a chance to hang the jacket on the hook he was vaulting for the door, his body was hell bent on making him keep the promise he'd made earlier.

After wretching, he had noticed, you feel two things. Exaulted and exausted. He had begun to call it the ex's of drinking. He crawled from where he lay sprawled out on the bathroom floor to a carpeted area, decided he'd never make it to the bed, and passed out, drool trickling down the side of his cheek.
ludomastro
1802: The Club Mix

Smiley grins and says, "Well, let's see." He riffles through his comm and sees something. "Looks like it be your lucky day. Right 'ere I gots you something that you might like. Looks like a friend of mine is taking me seriously in my new business. Go to O'Mally's up by the Lake around 2230 and ask for the party room. Be sure to beam the hostess the code I'm sending to you now. Now, don't fogit your friends, no?"

[ Spoiler ]

0800: Jack's place

ONE NEW MESSAGE: Maggie
Remember that we agreed to eat dinner at O'Mally's tonight at 10:30pm. I'll be in the party room. Don't forget your coat and see if the hostess can figure out this riddle: 12RB Fish.

[ Spoiler ]

TIME???
Wes is standing on a cliff with a large black bird on one side of the cliff and an oversized bottle of scotch on the other. A voice says, "Take a choice, then take a leap."
JDragon
1803: The Club Mix

Hack'ed scans over the info in his AR image link, Wow, Smiley actually came through, holy drek. "Thanks bud, I owe you one, and don't worry I don't ever forget my chummers." Just ask the famlies of my old buds from the metroplex, may they all RIP.

"Here's a little something for the lead, with a little more to follow if this ends up being real work." Hack'ed's vision goes distant for a second as he brings up an account to transfer a few nuyen to a credstick for Smiley. I can't really spare anything right now, but I can't afford not to keep him happy, so 50 nuyen it is.

Hack'ed slips a credstick from his jacket once the transfer is complete. "Here you go." Handing Smiley the credstick.

"Well I got a little work to do, do you mind if I borrow an office?' Hack'ed motions to one of the empty booths along the back.

Not waiting for an answer he walks back and takes a seat, motioning to the waitress for his usuall. So, now lets see what exactly it is Smiley has found for me.

Hack'ed barely seems to notice when his drink shows up, as hes working in AR to see whats going on with this party and the word on O'Mally's.

[ Spoiler ]
JDragon
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
New Orleans....Zelda wondered once more just how she had managed to find her way down here. Oh yeah...that run that in the end turned out to not even be worth the plane ticket home. That was just wrong. But oh well. The weather was nicer down here. Not nearly as much rain, for which her knees were most thankful. And not like she had left all her friends behind, she thought as she hopped online, heading for Link's.

The matrix club was right where she left it. 8-bit game music was piping in the background. Most of the icons here were from that early era of electronic gaming. And hers was no exception, being that of the Hyrulian princess that was forever in need of saving. Though she was not to be underestimated. She was definetly capable of saving herself. Taking a seat, she scanned the area for the proprietor.
Kiedo
Walking to the edge he says, "when I was a kid I always wanted to be a proffesional swimmer."

He leaned forward doing a swan dive off the cliff. His body hurtling down at a suicidally fast pace. After all that was what he had just done. He closed his eyes beofre he hit the ground, but a muscle spasm caused him to roll over and he opened his eyes. Ceiling. It was a dream. Thank the gods.

Ah your up

"Could you leave me alone for five minutes," he said trying to sit up. Each time he'd get closer to sitting but would be struck by a wave of pain. Hangover.

"Well I'll be, I haven't had a hang over in months," he mused almost sardonically.

that's because you really went over board this morning.

"This morning?"

yes, what time do you think it is?

"Um I....don't know."

then look you didn't buy that clock for decoration

"But it does complete the room nicely, wouldn't you say? ....Oh right, 7 o'clock...am or pm."

pm

after a while, he gets up and takes shower.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Ah, O'Malley's. Apparently Maggie intended to bankrupt him. Hopefully that meant that she had some real money work for him. 12 RB fish? What the hell was that?

10:30 pm, eh? well, he'd just have to go about his daily biz until 4, then get a few hours of sleep. That ought to last him for a few days. If it was work it couldn't hurt to be able to go for days. If not...well, it better be! Having to trash his last ID and commlink was a real setback for him. He needed new programs to operate. His new link wase bare bones!

He linked to the latest screemsheets and read through the news, looking for anything that might influence his work. He checked to see especially if anything had been happening in the erea of O'Malley's. After that he pops open the local news radio station. Sometimes there were insights to be had from guest analysts or commentators. Usually not, but it did help him keep up with what was going on.

[ Spoiler ]
Nikoli
After checking his rat traps in the back alleys, Rooster began to make his way home. Nobody ever seemed to care how an ork like him could afford the place, they just tried not to see how he lived or how they thought he lived. Raising the day's catch up proudly to Mrs. la Fleur, "Howdy man, you want I should save you a few for stew tonight?" This of course gets him a visible lift in bile from the scrawny breeder, but it does help put a smile in his face as she pales again and runs back inside. Once safely from view he tosses the carcasses into the dumpster and unlocks the vback door to his doss.
Lights on
Rooster makes his way over his workbench and sets one of the damaged traps on the table to be repaired later. "I keep scrounging but thos damned devil rats keep finding new ways to chew through this stuff. Just have to keep trying."

After a few minutes of tinkering, "Vut!" Realizing he's forgotten to check his messages, he brings up the VR and heads to the shower.
JDragon
1825: The Club Mix

After spending a few minutes to see what he can find out about tonight, Hack'ed finished his drink and heads for the door.

Hack'ed nods at Smiley, "I'll check in with ya once the run is done."

Hack'ed steps back into the heat and humidity, and makes the trek back to the coffin motel. On the way he schedules a taxi to pick him up at the stuffer shack at the end of the block from the motel with enough time to make it to O'Malley's about twenty min before the meet. 20 min should give enough time to scope the place and make sure I'm on time. Can't be late for my first job in the Big Easy. Easy my A$$!

Once back at the motel Hack'ed will grab a power nap if he has time, making sure to be up in time to check & pack his gear and then be at the corner as to miss his ride.
ludomastro
1300: Link's
Link walked over, his sword at his side, and greeted his princess of legend. "How may I be of service, your highness? Ah, I am sure that the formidable Zelda is looking for another source of adventure? Perhaps if you travel to the land of O'Mally's and present the Guardian with this scroll of entry." With that, Link settles in to dicuss other information with Zelda.

[ Spoiler ]

1900: Wes' Shack

The comm message light is blinking.
[ Spoiler ]

0815: Jack's Apartment

[ Spoiler ]

1754: Rooster's Doss
The AR comes up with a message from Darren O'Mally.

When you get done with your work for the day, swing by the grill for a meal on me. I've got something that you might be interested in. Give the hostess, 12RB Fish, as the reservation code.
ludomastro

Smiley nods and says, "Son, you know that O'Mally doesn't allow any weapons in his restaurant, right? You don't have to worry about those that you meet with. If they can have the meet in his place, then you won't need anything. Matter o' fact, you be running the risk of tipppin off the NOPS, the Star, or KE. All those boys eat there along with the moms n pops with the kiddies."
JDragon

"Thanks for the heads up, chummer." Hack'ed smiles to himself and Smiley. Not like I really need my gun to take care of myself anyways.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
After finishing his daily research Jack plays a commlink game for a couple of hours, then sacks out until 8pm. He gets up at 8, showers again, dresses and scarfs down a Nerps™ bar. Once he has all his gear gathered and in place he heads out to O'Malley's at about 9. Knowing public transit the way he does, it could take forever and a day to arrive. Will this be a solo job, he wonders, or will there be others? He'd not worked in teams much. Still, he was a professional. At least that was the reputation he hoped to build. Competant was not how he wanted to be known. He wanted to be GOOD! A good, solid, versatile team could only help him achieve his ends, namely getting rich.

When he arrived at O'Malley's he subscribed his link to the restaraunt, then checked his messages. He had it set on private. After all, he was here on biz, hopefully. He stepped inside the entrance and waited for the host or hostess to seat him. 12 RB fish, he thought to himself. What a strange password. He quickly surveyed the place while he waited.

[ Spoiler ]
Smilin_Jack
1900 Saint Philips Apartments

Sighing, Caz sets down her mugwhile thinking to herself "Well that's the last of the soykaf. Now I really gotta start lookin' for some biz." Smiling fainlty at the irony, she walks over to the AC unit and cranks it up to full blast. "Frag I'm tired of this 2 nuyen.gif doss already, place makes me feel like a luddite with all these manual controls", she says as she walks into the bathroom. Catching a glimps of herself in the mirror, Caz. thinks to herself "Damn, I really look like crap. Better grab a quick shower before I head out."

Thirty minutes later, freshly showered and made up, Caz starts getting dressed in her normal attire. "Hmm...", she thinks "I haven't heard from the Prof or Ivan since I got down here - hope none of the splatter from that job landed on them. I should give them a call in a few days." Walking out into the living room Caz grabs her Hammerli and a couple of clips off the counter and holsters it in the concealed holster at her back. Thinking to herself "Wonder if I should take the Pred too just in case?" Laughing, she says "Nooo... I definately shouldn't do that, it might give some poor slob a heart attack to see little ol' me walkin' around with that much gun." Still laughing she scoops up her comm from the counter and checks it for messages.

[ Spoiler ]
Nikoli
"Now that sounds more like it." Rooster says cheerfully to no one in particular as he walks to the autocook and keys up some spicey gumbo. Giving the noisesome thing it's necessary time, he calls up the message to browse it while waiting for his food to finish being heated, lfavored and prepped.
Kiedo
Wes' Shower 1900

As he lathered up his hair, a slight hum emenated from all around Wes, the signal he'd programmed his commlink to give him when there was an incoming message. Still lathering the soap he gives a quick command to display on screen, and in the center of his field of vision the message was displayed.

>> ONE NEW MESSAGE: Darren O'Mally
>> How are you my friend? I hope that you are well and sober. If you are interested in an interview for some gainful employment, drop by for some dinner on me. Tell the hostess that you are in the Part Room and give her 12RB Fish as your reservation number.

Oooh, Darren always has impecible timing

"Yeah, always gets me right in the middle of something, at least this time I'm not with someone," he says with a slight chuckle. He opens up his messenger client and sends a reply.

>> TO: Darren O'Malley
>> MESSAGE:
>> "I'm well. Probably sober by the time I get there, I've got a little hang over now.

Finish up and lets get on the road, compadre

"Yeah yeah," he says washing the soap out of his hair.

After finishing his shower, he walks quietly to his sorry excuse for a dresser and digs out a pair of jeans with more holes in them than the plot of a bad trid movie, a grey shirt with the words "look busy Jesus is coming" written on it in thick white block letters, and gets dressed.

Satisfied that he looked at least somewhat presentable, after all it was only Darren, even if he did have a potential job, he puts on his lined coat, which seemed stupid with the heat outside, grabbed his pair of 620S's, loaded with EXEX, and put them into the concealable holsters. He stood infront of the mirror, making sure he looked ok, and checking to see if he noticed the guns, he felt satified on both fronts and left the house, walking to O'Malley's place. It wasn't too far away, and he liked the evening air.

O'Malley's Bar and Grill 1930

He had, for the most part, sobered up on the way over, having only a slight trace of a hang over. He knew, that O'Malley didn't like guns in his place, and he'd hand them over, if they noticed them.

He walked up to the hostess, "I've got a reservation, 12RB Fish." He slides a Fifty over the hostess stand, he didn't know why really, he was just playing a hunch.
Whizbang
A job offer dropped right in her lap. She smiled as she pocketed the scroll "Ah...I knew you'd be looking out for me, no matter where in the world I happen to be. How's things back in Seattle?"
JDragon
2050 Coffin Motel

After cleaning up a little Hack'ed prep's for the meeting. He stores his Warhawk in the storage under the bed along with a few other items he will not need tonight. He puts his foci in there pouches and puts on his leather jacket. No way I'm leaving these her for someone to take. He takes hi lined coat along as well just in case something comes up while he's out. He loads his fake SIN, Dr. Jones a professor of History in to his comm, and makes sure it has enough funds to get through the night.

Once packed he heads back out side and down the street. Damn, its after 8 o'clock and its frakin' hot. This almost makes me miss the rain. Hack'ed makes the quick trek to the corner. Seeing that he's early and his ride is not there yet he steps in to the Stuffer Shack to grab a couple NERP's bars so his stomach doesn't scare someone when it growls. He then wanders back outside to wait for his ride.

2150 Outside O'Malley's

"Thanks for the ride chief." Hack'ed beams the taxi driver his fare plus a decent tip since the guy was on time and got him there with out any unneeded detours. Ok, so lets see whats going on here before I head in." Hack'ed will perceive Astrally for several minutes to see if anything out of the ordinary is going on before going in.

[ Spoiler ]

ludomastro
2130: O'Mally's
A tall thin man walks over to Jack and asks, "Good evening, my name is Mordred, how may I help you this evening? Perhpas you have a reservation for one of our many party rooms, sir?"
[ Spoiler ]

1930: O'Mally's
As Wes walks throught the door of O'Mally's, Mordred nods to him and says, I'm glad that you are not carrying tonight Mr. Spire. I assume that Mr. O'Mally has provided you with his typical literary reference/code for the party room? If you would, please follow me. He then starts toward one of the "party rooms" in the back pausing only to ensure that Wes actually has a code for the room. After receiving the code, Mordred seats Wes at a table set for nine and ask, "What would you like for dinner this evening? I must confess that I have been given instructions not to serve you any alcohol and so has the bartender so please stick to your secondary drink of choice."
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
1813: Rooster's Doss

Rooster,

I hope that business is well. I further hope that we, "breeders", aren't bothering you too much.... If we are, well that's your problem now isn't it? Yes, before you ask, I still remember (and feel) our disagreement over that term the last time we spoke. I have a bite on the line for what should be some easy money. I've looked at this one from every angle and can't seem to find the catch. Perhaps, you will be able to see something that I missed? Drop by anytime for some dinner, the action starts about 2230. Mordred will be expecting you. Just humor him and give him the code when he asks for it. If he doesn't ask, the Jane will.

Until then,
Darren

1302: Link's
Link says, "Well, it's raining here in Seattle, what else is new. I haven't seen the real sun in about two weeks. Now, my digital version is of course, omnipresent. There is still some stink over that last job that DigDug pulled on Ares so he had to go undergound." Looking rather sheepish for a second he continues, "Sorry, no pun intended. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to tell ya. How are things down in the Big Easy?" His persona can't help but grin as he says, "That fact that you're still here would indicate that the gators haven't gotten you yet."
ludomastro
1930 Saint Philips Apartments
Caz's comm springs to life in AR and retrieves messages:

TWO NEW MESSAGES!
Darren O'Mally
[ Spoiler ]

Archana Yu
[ Spoiler ]

2150 Outside O'Mally's

[ Spoiler ]

A large troll stares at Hack'ed and says, "Hey buddy! You plan on staring at the place or going in?"
JDragon
2150 Outside O'Mally's

Looking over at the troll with a big grin, "Just makin' sure this was the place I was looking for."

Hack'ed crosses the street and heads inside. When he gets to the hostest, "I'm here for a get togther in one of the party rooms, the reservation number is 12RB Fish."

As the host checks the reservation Hack'ed takes minute to scan the place and note the exits in case anything comes up. He'll also set his comm to silent so as to not be distrubed.
Whizbang
Zelda grimiced at the bad pun, even if it was unintentional. "Oh well. Hopefully he'll be able to see daylight...or at least the clouds sometime soon. As for down here, things are bright and sunny. It's a bit humid, but I like that better than the rain. So far haven't seen any real alligators. Been trying to avoid those swamp palaces. Online, though, they're just as creative as in Seattle, and about as paranoid with the security."
last_of_the_great_mikeys
"Good evening, Mordred. I do indeed have a reservation under R. B. Fish, party of 12." Jack gives the host a winning smile and follows him to the room.He takes a solid look around as he enters, moving slowly to make surveying easier. The room, the people in it, the decor and placement of chairs and windows, all of it is filed away.

[ Spoiler ]

After the obligatory observation he seats himself and takes a menu. The place sure smells good. I sure hope dinner's on Mr. Johnson, though.
ludomastro
1305: Link's
Link laughs a bit and says, "Based on my limited experience I would say that most Confederationalists are more paranoid about security. Take care while you're down there. I hear that SK - and by extension its dragon master - is making nice with the CAS gov, so there may be opportunities for a damsel in distress such as yourself. Oh, one more thing - Darren O'Mally is as paranoid as they come with security. If you decide to go nosing around before dinner, just remember that. I never told you what time did I: 10:30pm. Perhaps I need to collect a few more hearts." The last he says with a little bit of a leer on his face.

2132: Inside O'Mally's
Mordred, looking a pit puzzled, says, "I do believe that the party is for nine, not twelve; however, I could be mistaken, Mr. uhh, forgive me I don't know your name."

After introductions he says, "Very good Mr. Mardell, please follow me." He leads you to the party room at the back of the restuarant where a tall human in an old west type duster is eating some dinner. "Please take a seat and a few minutes. I be back in a bit and you can let me know what appeals to you. I trust that you and your dinner companions can mke small talk." With that, Mordred is gone.
[ Spoiler ]

2151: Inside O'Mally's
Jane looks at Hack'ed and states, "Mordred will be here in a moment to seat you. Forgive me for asking, Mr. Jones, but do you have any sort of special dietary requirement? Some of our clients ..." She trails off realizing that she is being watched by Mordred who says, "I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, was it? Yes, please, right this way. Several of your companions have already arrived."
Nikoli
Letting his thoughts drift around Darren's message,
There's always a catch, I know, he's knows it and this Mordred knows it to boot. At least I'll eat something other than soy tonight. I hope.

Response to Darren,
Gracias vato, I'll be there.

>>Send<<

Stepping out of the shower onto the cold floor, Rooster makes his rounds through his small apartment, checking windows, making sure his public persona is watching the right stations for his profile, and reading the latest politico scream sheets.
Once dressed he makes his way down to the garage and hops into his Spirit, feeding it the address vehicle checking his gear on the way.
[ Spoiler ]
Smilin_Jack
1930 Saint Philips Apartments

"2 messages eh", Caz thinks as the message alert pops up "Hope at least one of them is about biz." Bringing up the first message, she notices it's from Darren O'Malley - the owner of one of the bars she frequents.

-----
>>From: Darren O'Malley
>>Message: Come by for dinner at around 2230 and give either Mordred or Jane this code: 12RB Fish. There is a proposition for some work involved. Mind your manners as well.

- Darren

P.S. Please leave the boom sticks at home this time.
-----

Smirking at the comments, Caz thinks "Mind my manners and don't bring any guns huh? Darren must still be cranky about last time." Sighing she says, "I suppose I have no choice but to 'behave' -I really need the work."

Sliding on her AR Gloves and Glasses, she sends a reply:

[ Spoiler ]

"Lets see what the Prof is up to", she thinks as she brings up the next message and notices the sender.

-----
>>From: Dr. Archana Yu
>>Message: I hope that your studies are going well in New Orleans. I think that it is great for students to take some time off and learn other things. Why don't you look up Dr. Tong's work on "Moldable AR". He thinks that he has found a way for AR to be faster but only time will tell if he is right.... Ooops, gotta go. I have class in two minutes.
-----

"Well sounds like the Prof is the same as always. Nice of her to drop me a line on that 'Moldable AR' stuff, sounds wiz" Caz thinks after reading the message. After thinking a moment she seends a reply:

[ Spoiler ]

Taking off her concealable holster and pulling the spare clips she grabbed earlier from her pocket, Caz heads toward the bedroom. "I better travel light like Darren said, after last time I bet he'll have Mordred frisk me. Imagine I should change shirts too if he's this uptight about me 'minding my manners'", she thinks. After sliding her Hammerli and spare clips under a pillow, she rummages around in the closet for a clean shirt. "Plain white will have to do", she says while pulling on a semi-clean white t-shirt.

Turning to look at herself over in the mirror Caz thinks, "I hate going to a meet like this unarmed, but Darren was pretty damn clear in the message." After giving herself one last glance in the mirror she pulls up her comm's menu and switches it over to her Elizabeth Dupree ID while setting it to Active mode.

Grabbing her keys and jacket as she heads out the door, she locks her apartment and sets off for O'Malley's.

2130 O'Malley's Bar and Grill

Sighing as she finally steps into the air condititioned Bar, Caz switches her comm to Passive and looks around for Mordred or Jane.

Kiedo
O'Malley's 1935

Wes gives a little smirk to himself, when he think that Mordred isn't looking, happy nobody spotted his piece--pieces.

I assume that Mr. O'Mally has provided you with his typical literary reference/code for the party room?

"Yep, One fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, my mom used to read me that when I was a kid, and you never forget things like that."

He follows Mordred, into the back room, pausing to enter the code. He sits at the back of the left hand side of the table, or at least were he thinks the back will be.

"What would you like for dinner this evening? I must confess that I have been given instructions not to serve you any alcohol and so has the bartender so please stick to your secondary drink of choice."

"That's fine, I never drink on the job, that's the way I forget about the job, as it were," he was of course lying, he drank all the time, and quiet resented Darren taking it upon himself to be his baby sitter for the night, but never the less, with Wes, it was all or nothing.

"Why don't you russle me up a nice Ribeye, medium rare, with some garlic mashed potatos, and some Nazola to drink." Mordred walks away to fill the order.

You know your really taking advantage of Darren's hospitality bringing in those guns, Wes.

"Yeah yeah, at least it wasn't the preds, besides, I'm sure somebody else will be packing too, better safe than sorry."

Well you better hope the Johnson doesn't have a drone with a MAD sensor on it, or somebody else doesn't either, there were alot of boys from the star out there, and that's not even mentioning KE.

"Pfft, yeah right, like the star or knight errant, would bust somebody who happens to be friends with the owner of thier favorite restaurant, besides, they'd have to take them from me."

I'll tell you what, with some of the money from this job, what say you buy permits for them, the fake kind, and the predators too

"Sounds good to me"
ludomastro
1955: Inside O'Mally's
Mordred comes back with the food and without much of a word, sets it down in front of Wes and is gone again. The food smells fresh and if its not real, then its one of the excellent good jobs that O'Mally's chefs pride themselves on and that the critics can't get enough of. Most likely its a mix of the two; however, it won't matter to the taste buds. It good just like always.

2137: Inside O'Mally's
As if he were part of the wall decoration, Mordred appears out of nowhere. Glancing at Caz's attire, he says, "I see that Mr. O'Mally's message was received. Thank you for complying. I wish that I had been a little slower for once, as I just seated a Mr. Mardell. Do you know him?

Ah well, this way please. He pauses only long enough to get the code from you then ushers you into the room with a tall human in a western style duster and a young man who would fit into any corp known to man. The man in the duster is completing his meal while the other is looking over his meal.

1945: Inside O'Mally's
Jane checks your password and states that she will be happy to take you back to the party room. She turns to Rooster and says, "Mr. Chambers, is Jake short for Jacob? I have such a usual name that I wanted to know a little about yours." She seems ready to hang off you until you tell her otherwise. Joining the back room, you find a conversation in place between a elf in a western duster passing himself off as human, a corporate kid, and young (old, who knows) elf sitting down to dinner.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Jack looks at Wes and gives a professional nod. Ah, the 1st arrival. With that look he has to be some kind of gilette.

Jack looks at Caz and nods. Well, there's the 2nd one. I wonder what he brings to the table? He stops eating his Blackened Trout, a cajun basic that is so easily badly cooked but if done right is very tasty.

"Good evening, gentlemen. A pleasure to make your aquaintance." His voice is very plain with little inflection. Matter-of-fact wouldaptly describe it. His manner is non-offensive, his dress much like any corper or politico. The only unusual thing about him is his complete lack of anything that might identify him as a corper or politico. One might think him a waiter on the grand tour, perhaps, were he not obviously here for the same reason the other 'runners were.

When Rooster enters he gets the exact same nod of acknowledgement. Well, a human, an elf and an ork walk into a bar...
Kiedo
Wes nods back to Jack with slightly less professionalism and grace. He takes his gloves off revealing a black raven on his right hand and the infamous logo for the Tir Ghosts on his left. He looks casually at Jack, taking a mental snapshot of the man and glancing down at his food.

Mmm, good taste, blacked fish of some type, perhaps salmon, or trout.

"ugh, burnt fish, sorry I'll pass, the steak I ordered is fine by me," he says to the voice in his head, under his breath.

Wes thanks Mordred and grabs his shirt sleeve before he has a chance to get away. Mordred obviously not happy about being grabbed looked impatiently as Wes as if to say, hurry up, I've got other things to do than listen to you Mr. Spire.

"Can you do me one tiny favor," he says trying to be quiet so the other runners won't hear him. "Take this and give it to the man at the bar, you know the one who was talking with the bartender when I walked in," he scrawls a note on a napkin, using a pen from the inside of his jacket, "and put his next drink on my tab."

Wes hands the note, along with a twenty, to Mordred and gives him a, do it or else, sort of look.

[ Spoiler ]

Your playing with fire Wes.

"I know, but I'm playing a hunch, roll with it," he says, again quietly, to himself.
JDragon
2160: Inside O'Mally's

Hack'ed follow's Mordred back to the party room. He waits for Mordred to enter the code and then enters.

Once in side the room he stops for a moment to scan over the room and it occupants. He nod's to those there and moves to the table taking a seat in one of the chairs large enough to hold his large frame. Well this looks interesting, at least its large enough job to need more than one person. Lets see who else shows up and at least I'll get a meal out of this.

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
2200: Inside the Party Room

Hack'ed
[ Spoiler ]
Smilin_Jack
2137: Inside O'Mally's

As if he were part of the wall decoration, Mordred appears out of nowhere. Glancing at Caz's attire, he says, "I see that Mr. O'Mally's message was received. Thank you for complying. I wish that I had been a little slower for once, as I just seated a Mr. Mardell. Do you know him?

“Hello Mordred”, Caz says to him “Yes, I received Darren’s message – and no, as far as I know I don’t know a Mr. Mardell or at least not anyone using that name. I believe you have a reservation booked for me under 12RB Fish?”

“Ah well, this way please”, says Mordred as he nods. Following him as he leads her into one of the private rooms, Caz notices the two already seated at the table.

Receiving a nod and a greeting from Jack she thinks to herself, “Gentleman? I’ve been called a lot of things but that’s a first.” Nodding back to Jack, Caz starts walking towards the table and grabs a seat that gives her a view of the doorway. Noting the other two have already ordered she motions to Mordred and says, “Mordred, Can you bring me a glass of iced tea and a small salad?”

While waiting on Mordred to come back with her order, Caz furtively checks out the other two.

[ Spoiler ]
Nikoli
"No ma'am, it's just Jake. One of my grandfathers favorite books had a Jake Chambers he really liked, tough little toe headed boy with a sharp mind and a deadly eye. So far, near as I can tell, I'm oh for three, but my pa stopped trying to mold me in anyone else's image when I hit twelve or so. Now ma'am, Jane's a fine name. Ain't nothin in the world wrong with a name like that and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise. If everyone was named Thealla or some-such, we'd never know how to pronounce anyone's name and we'd always be in a perpetual state of embarrassment."
ludomastro
2137: Inside the Party Room
Caz
[ Spoiler ]

1947: Inside the Party Room
Rooster finds himself in the company of an elf wearing a duster. His food is brought in providing an opportunity to order. Jane is still lingering around the doorway looking in until Mordred gives her a look that could chill ice. She then makes her way back to the hostess desk.
Whizbang
"Now you know you always have my heart." Zelda said with a smile. "And I do intend to keep your warnings in mind. I'm kinda attached to this life. You haven't by any chance got any hints on what's on the agenda for tonight, do you?"
ludomastro
1307: Link's
"Hmmm, let me see." As Link looks through several scrolls from under the bar, he frowns and says, "Yeah, I got nothing on this one. I'll keep you posted if I find anyting useful."
Kiedo
Party Room 19:35

He smiled, glancing over at Jack, he pushes his plate forward, "Name's Wes, you can call me Ghost if you like." He gives a little gesture with his hand.

Party Room 19:48

As Rooster walks into the room, escorted by Mordred, Wes gives a little nod to him, he knew Rooster but not terribly well, not enough that he felt comfortable getting too deep into a conversation with anyway.

Party Room 21:38

Wes gives a quick wink to Caz, "Good to see you again, Caz," as she sits down.

Deciding that he was tired of sitting in relative silence, Wes sits up in his chair, "For those of you who know me, hello again, for those of you who don't, the name's Wes, now my question to you, is do you have any idea why we are here, and if you don't perhaps we can infer something about the nature of the job by learning what each of us contributes to a team. Myself, I'm a detective, if you need something found, I'm the guy you'd call, it's not my original profession, but it suits me just fine."

As he says the last part of his little speak, Wes moves his right hand over the back of his left, almost instictively.

Well that's the way to do it. It was too quiet in here anyway.
Whizbang
"I appreciate it. "I should be heading off to make sure I have everything in order for tonight. Definetly hope that this pans out better than last time. Having your Johnson assasinated while you're off in another country on a run is a downright nuisance." she said, refering to the run that had left her in her current local.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Jack settles in and waits for the official beginning of the meeting. Maggie implied that she was going to be there, so he wasn't too nervous. If this was a real nuyen gig then these guys were all good at what they do. It was hard not to be intimidated a little by the more dangerous seeming of the bunch.
Whizbang
After some more small talk, Zelda finally managed to bring herself back to the real world. There were some errands to be run, tri vid to be watched, and time in general to be killed. Eventually when time for the meeting drew near, she was at the door of the club.

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
2210: Inside O'Mally's Party Room
Mordred steps into the room and looks around. "I see that we are one short right now," he says in a voice just loud enough for all to hear. "Oh, Mr. Mardell, this note cam for you." He hands Jack a hand written note.
[ Spoiler ]

"Well, let's give her a bit more time then." With that Mordred takes his leave.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Jack takes the note and reads it. is calm demenor changes to slightly annoyed as he finishes it. Not showing up to a meet. How unprofessional and rude. A little more notice would have been nice so I could have declined. I guess she figured I would if she told me she wouldn't be there. Now, who's this Darren person?

[ Spoiler ]

Jack crumples the note with a sigh and pockets it. He's tempted to message Maggie on his commlink but decided she'd likely restricted his access. Otherwise she'd have called him directly. Alarms started to go off in his head. Why would she want to be so separeted? Perhaps she dropped my name to some fixer and recommended me. That would be nice. That thought silenced the alarms.

"Well, ladies and gentlemen, it seems we are going to be working together. Some of you seem to know each other, but I know you not. Perhaps I have heard of you though. I am Jack. As for what I do best I get in and fit in in various settings, though I do my best work in corporate circles. While fitting in I tend to learn things as people drop names and brag. I sometimes even aquire information that remains on site if access to it is available. For me it often is. I also can spread information, though I never garauntee its accuracy." He smiles at that. Misinformation was something noone ever really expected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012