Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BookWyrm
I picked up the latest Previews catalog, filling out my order form, and found the entry for the upcoming SR4 book, Arsenal on page 502.....then I saw how much.
$34.95 ????

Sheesh!
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Synner)
Arsenal has to compress all the material from Cannon Companion, the SOTAs, Rigger 3, the stuff littered through-out the Target books and of course some new stuff.

And it will be hardcover.
Paul
And unfortunately more than 10% of it will be useless to most people.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Paul)
And unfortunately more than 10% of it will be useless to most people.

How so?
cx2
In any case using 90% of a book is pretty good going... And if you experiment with different character types, especially helpful if you play on DS here, you might reach about 100% usage.
James McMurray
True, if you don't cros character types parts won't be useful to you. But by that token at least 20% of the main book would also be useless to you.
Drex
I saw this in Previews also and was actually excited. I doubt it will come out in August, but you never know.

I was wondering though is Street Magic hardcover and $34.95 also? I pre-ordered it on Amazon a while back and they had it listed as softcover and $24.95.
James McMurray
The last I heard all of the SR4 supplements are going to be hardcover.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (James McMurray)
The last I heard all of the SR4 supplements are going to be hardcover.

All of the main rulebooks (Arsenal, Augmentation, Unwired, and Street Magic) will be hardcover.

The other sourcebooks (such as Runner Havens and Emergence) will be softcover.
James McMurray
Has anyone said why they'll be hardcover? It just seems like a way to make them a little prettier but a lot costlier.
emo samurai
Was Sr3 originally hardcover?
Jaid
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Has anyone said why they'll be hardcover? It just seems like a way to make them a little prettier but a lot costlier.

my personal theory is so that there's a difference between buying the hardcopy and buying the PDF (and subequently printing your own copy).

ie, those who don't want to pay hardcover costs can always just buy the PDF.

those who want a hardcover will have a much harder time printing and binding their PDF in hardcover, comparatively speaking wink.gif

but that's just my theory, personally.
emo samurai
Or there's a new price discrimination. Price discrimination is the microeconomics concept of charging different prices for essentially the same product based on how much different demographics are willing to pay for it. So hardcovers are sold at twice the price of softcovers even though they take about 2 dollars more to bind just because people who buy hardcovers are quite willing to pay lots of money for the book.

With SR pdf's, the cheapass gamer will buy the pdf rather than a softcover simply because it will inevitably be cheaper. That means that the only people left over are the fanatics, who will willingly pay $35 for a core rulebook.

And that is how penguins fly. The more you know!
BookWyrm
Emo: Yes, I think it was. I'll have to check for mine, but it's in storage.
I really have nothing against buying the PDF, I just had a bad XP with one. I'd rather have the hardcopy. But $34.95 is a bit steep.
cx2
Well I'm going all PDF anyway, not cheap just more practical for me.

I just wish they'd release more of the older sourcebooks and rulebooks in PDF, I'd like to read riggers 3 to see what rigging was like then for some perspective. Physical books just don't work for me.
Jaid
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
Emo: Yes, I think it was. I'll have to check for mine, but it's in storage.
I really have nothing against buying the PDF, I just had a bad XP with one. I'd rather have the hardcopy. But $34.95 is a bit steep.

so like i said, print yourself off a copy. iirc, as long as you aren't selling it or giving it away to someone else (and keeping the PDF for yourself) it's not illegal... of course, i may be wrong.

and obviously that also depends on where you live, i suppose... laws may be different where you are.
fistandantilus4.0
Personally I'm stoked that the new books are hardcover. I've replaced most of my SR3 books once already. That puts the tag over $40 and I am a book nazi over how my books are treated. My wife hates it sometimes, because she'll be sitting htere writing something with a book on her lap, and she'll let it sit open to far. I sit there shaking for a good 30 seconds thinking "she'll notice! She has too! How can she treat a book that way on purpose!?" Then I'll say "umm.. honey.. the book.. could you ... pick it up! you're ruining it!" That's about how long I can keep my cool. yeah, she hates it. Sadly, that's me after "getting better"

So far with the SR4 book, I can slide it across the floor or toss it to players and not have any worries. Believe me, I'll pay an extra $10 for not having to worry about my insanities getting me hit with the book I'm trying to protect (happened before). And besides, with all the delayed releases everyone is expecting, and the fac that it isn't coming for another couple of months, that should be plenty of time to save up and extra $10. put your change in a jar or somethin'.
emo samurai
So either way, PDF or hardcover, you have a durable format.
fistandantilus4.0
one I can keep and beat unruely players with. The other I can print out again if the first one dies. Personally I prefer to do it just once and have the pretty hardcover. Damn that stupid cover pic though!
eidolon
QUOTE (emo samurai @ May 24 2006, 09:48 PM)
Was Sr3 originally hardcover?

SR3 was softcover. A "special/lim.ed./whatever" hardcover edition was published. There was one up on Ebay a couple of days ago (don't know if it's gone yet).

SR1 and SR2 were both printed in hardcover; SR1 in all runs (to my knowledge), and the first printing of SR2 (my subsequent printing is softcover, and its number is one-up).

And I suspect that the "hardcover" is to generate that small extra profit, and that they're simply following the WotC model of charging an assload of money for a shiny hard cover when the material only composes a pamphlet. People will pay for it, obviously, so why not? (from a "making money by selling books" standpoint)
BishopMcQ
Fistandantilus--That's why God invented book covers, they aren't just for junior high any more...

Re: the Price--I think that $35 is in line with the rest of the industry. There has been a push throughout the RPG industry the last several years to go to hardbound books, generally in full color. That has the side effect of raising costs to the the consumer and the printer, but I feel creates a much better product.

Most core books these days cost between $30 and $40 dollars, (IIRC, my D&D core books, translated into French cost 40 Euro--Roughly $60 USD each)

This is NOT FanPro gouging it's loyal fan base, but rather it's Rob and his team doing the best they can to create a good product that looks good and sells well. An important part of the success of a product is how it is perceived to the casual viewer before that person picks up the book and discovers the quality of the content.

And as I have advocated before, if you just do not have the money to purchase the book, help FanPro out and they will compensate you with Product Credit (read: FREE BOOKS!). It is not hard to join the Missions writing team, become a Commando, or just run a few games at a local convention. Besides the books, you get to meet some great people and the process is a lot of fun.

PM me if you have questions and I can put you in touch with the proper people for any of the methods listed above.

-Stephen

Grinder
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Most core books these days cost between $30 and $40 dollars, (IIRC, my D&D core books, translated into French cost 40 Euro--Roughly $60 USD each)

40€ are more likely 35$.
BishopMcQ
Grinder--It was just before Bush told the French off and invaded Iraq. At that point, his economic policies were driving the value of the dollar way down and the conversion was about 1.25 to 1.50 USD per 1€.

Being an American in Lyon was not always a pleasant experience at that point, but the fact that I sound Russian (and look like one) when I speak French helped.

Link action
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Fistandantilus--That's why God invented book covers, they aren't just for junior high any more...

It's not the cover I'm concerned about. I can deal with a couple of bends, general wear and gloss and color loss. it's the binding that worries me. I've had too many pages fall out of SR 3 books. I'm the same way with novels. When I'm done , there's no creases on the spine of the book. But I never get them back that way when someone else borrows it. Drives me nuts. Just my little bit of OCD I guess.
Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
It's not the cover I'm concerned about. I can deal with a couple of bends, general wear and gloss and color loss. it's the binding that worries me. I've had too many pages fall out of SR 3 books. I'm the same way with novels. When I'm done , there's no creases on the spine of the book. But I never get them back that way when someone else borrows it. Drives me nuts. Just my little bit of OCD I guess.

All of the current Wizards (WotC) hardbacks have the same issue.

I wish all these game companies would take a lesson from the old 1e AD&D hardbacks - those things are still rock solid after 15 years of constant abuse. None of my other RPG books have ever been as sturdy.

fistandantilus4.0
So far all of my D&D3.5 and 3rd have held together just fine. No page issues.

And I agree on the 1st edition. Out of all of them, my DMG shows some seriosu wear, but the others (Players handbook, Unearthed, Deities and demigods, outdoor survival guide, fiend folio, monsters) are all in excellent shape. If it wasn't for the art style, you'd never know how old they are. love 'em.
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ May 25 2006, 07:50 AM)

40€ are more likely 35$.

Um, the current exchange rate is $1.27:1 Euro. $60 sounds about right.
Adam
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Because for years, people told FanPro that they wanted hardcover books. smile.gif

The $35 352 page SR4 is a steal; core books are almost always sold at a cheaper price than they "should" be in order to make them more accessible to every player. Supplements are likely to sell to fewer players, and are therefore likely to be printed in smaller quantities [or take longer to sell through a print run the size of the core book] and therefore the prices are not adjusted downwards like the core book's price is.

There are some other factors -- stores are more likely to order and reorder hardcover books, for example. They look better on the shelf, are sturdier, and compare more favourably to the largely-hardcover lines from WotC and White Wolf.
hobgoblin
how many pages will arsenal be?
otaku mike
Personally I'm stoked that the new books are hardcover. I've replaced most of my SR3 books once already. That puts the tag over $40 and I am a book nazi over how my books are treated. My wife hates it sometimes, because she'll be sitting htere writing something with a book on her lap, and she'll let it sit open to far. I sit there shaking for a good 30 seconds thinking "she'll notice! She has too! How can she treat a book that way on purpose!?" Then I'll say "umm.. honey.. the book.. could you ... pick it up! you're ruining it!" That's about how long I can keep my cool. yeah, she hates it. Sadly, that's me after "getting better"

I AM NOT ALONE !! biggrin.gif

*runs to grab his wife and make her read that post*
"see! see!" cool.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 25 2006, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ May 25 2006, 07:50 AM)

40€ are more likely 35$.

Um, the current exchange rate is $1.27:1 Euro. $60 sounds about right.

Damn, you're right. Confused the exchange rates. That happens when you post handicaped by influenza. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
SR3.01D was hardcover all the way, though... one of the very few improvements of the .01D line.
Serbitar
edit: useless post
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (otaku mike)

"see! see!" cool.gif

Always glad to help. Now to find my wife ... prove that I'm not crazy!
hobgoblin
hmm, two wrongs do not make a right or somthing like that...
NightHaunter
I for one will happily pay the extra for a hard cover book.
Both my SR2 and SR3 core books have disintergrated.
I was about to get a new SR3 when they announced SR4.
The durability factor alone is worth it.
Plus a big pile of hardback books is more intimidating than a big pile of Hobbit Snot bound ones.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (otaku mike @ May 25 2006, 03:43 AM)

"see! see!" cool.gif

Always glad to help. Now to find my wife ... prove that I'm not crazy!

Oh, you're not crazy--or if you are, so am I. I'm so fussy about my books that I've been known to buy more than one copy of something that I know is going to see a lot of use (usually one new and one used) and use the used one for actual gaming while keeping the new one pristine for things like reading and research.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even lend regular paperbacks out anymore, since it appears that I have a much different view of "don't bend the spine, you idiot!" than most of my friends do.
Dakhran the Dark
Heh. After paying almost $200 on Ebay a few years back on a BABY (SR3 limited hardcover), I'm no longer shocked by any RPG book price -- although I do still reserve the right to bitch and moan if what I bought is a piece of crap...

Plus, since one of my best friends and fellow gamers opened up the FGLS a couple years ago, I've felt obligated to help keep the store alive -- where else am I gonna be able to reserve two full tables for 8-12 hours once a week, plus have all the gaming munchies and Red Bull I can possibly want?
mdynna
After my SR3 rulebook's spine split in half and I had to duct tape it back together, I'll take the books in harcover. I'm also really liking the heavier duty glossy pages. Very nice. Now, if only we had better artwork to look at on those nice glossy pages....
Perssek
Well, I´m not as crazy as fistdantilus and otaku mike, but I like my books in AT LEAST mint condition. I´ve been known to buy PDFs just to have a printed copy to toss the players. And I NEVER lend books, specially hardcovers.

See? I´m not crazy.

On hardcovers: it´s better, although expensive. Whenever I can AND it´s available, I buy the hardcover version. Some of my oldest hardcover books still look as new as when I bought them.

It´s so good it should be an armor option in SR4.

Hardcover - your armor won´t be anymore resistant to bullets and whatever hits it, but it will look nice for longer.
PBTHHHHT
And when you need to beat down a player over something in the book, it's more gratifying to pummel them over the head with a hardcover than a softcover, more damage... why are you looking at me like that? silly.gif
mdynna
What's the base DV of the new hardcover? How many net successes do you get on average?
Apathy
QUOTE (mdynna)
What's the base DV of the new hardcover? How many net successes do you get on average?

Hmmm, I'd guess that it'd probably be around (Str/4)Stun? It'd take a long time to knock someone out with one, unless they had the body rating of Steven Hawking...
Shrike30
SR1 had a softcover run... I've got one on my shelf.

The color insert pages fell out of both of my SR2 books. They fell out of one of my SR3 books, and didn't have a chance in the other... the spine disintegrated and I ended up stripping it off and using duct tape instead.

I've seen softcover books going for 30 bucks... charging 35 for a hardcover that (if my SR4 books are any indicator) do not fall apart is reasonable, in my mind.

Want to know a good way to defray costs? Be a GM, and simply charge all your players 5 bucks when a new book comes out for the copy you're going to bring to the game every week. It's worked pretty well so far...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Apathy)
QUOTE (mdynna @ May 25 2006, 01:11 PM)
What's the base DV of the new hardcover?  How many net successes do you get on average?

Hmmm, I'd guess that it'd probably be around (Str/4)Stun? It'd take a long time to knock someone out with one, unless they had the body rating of Steven Hawking...

err, stun damage is based on willpower, not body. and give how stubborn hawkins have shown himself to be, i would say he would be simpler to kill then to knock out...
Squinky
So....we should give him some heavy body armor, and he will be tougher than Trolls every time....

eidolon
Re: the durability issue. Yeah, I have an old SR3 that lost its color pages. I also have 2 that haven't.

Also, see Palladium books. All softcover, and I've never seen one fall apart. AD&D 2nd? Soft covers on 90 percent of the supplements. Still holding on like crazy.

It's not hard vs. soft so much as "we used a shitty printer that charged us less but sacrificed quality" vs. "we pay attention to our products". Combine the latter with knowing how to treat books, and you've got a long-lasting collection. (I'm not as anal as some wink.gif, but I have been known to bite off heads when people throw my books across a room.)
Kanada Ten
It's not hard vs. soft so much as "we used a shitty printer that charged us less but sacrificed quality" vs. "we pay attention to our products".

The facts blur the issue.
eidolon
So by your logic, all printers that use a generically termed style of binding must inherently do it in an equally adept manner?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I can show you two shops that print adhesive labels, using the same equipment and the same techniques, and the one that has well trained employees that care about their product will do a better job every time.

For further example, click the link to see the myriad printers that come up when you put "perfect bound" into Google. Think they all make the same quality product?
Kanada Ten
What logic? That we only have a tiny portion of the facts so your supposition means nothing? 'Cause that's my point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012