Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's make a Shadowrun webcomic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
emo samurai
I think the main character should be a hacker solely by virtue of my vision for the opening: A man in an anime-esque power suit walks through a ruined city; he is found out by the robot army, and readies himself to attack. After a few pages of fight scenes, the hacker playing through the simsense game is woken up by a call from Mr. Fixer.
James McMurray
Anyone can play a simsense game.

And can you draw? I don't know if we could do an SR order of the stick. smile.gif
emo samurai
I can't draw; but I can write.

Can anybody else write? More importantly, can anybody draw?
TimeKeeper
Too bad my cousin's quit gaming... course I dont have a scanner here either...

guess I'm out.

Nice intro though... Good start.
emo samurai
Actually, amend that. Right when he's about to attack the robot army, the call comes in.

The narration will be incredibly angst-ridden and melodramatic. "They killed my family, they killed my country, but they will not kill her." Dududu, dudududu... It'll contrast really well with the world they live in, in which nobody's really a hero, just a greedy little bastard who may or may not have talent.
Fresno Bob
Storyboard the first few pages and I'll turn something out. (Maybe)
Dranem
It would actually be quite comical to see someone attempt to draw Emo's stories, not sure if you'd be able to pass it off as a SR Webcomic though...
emo samurai
Your presence on my threads is ALWAYS productive, Dranem. Nice to see you here.
emo samurai
There'll be lyrics to a song of some sort, both in English and in Katakana, on the last page, which is the first clue that this scene isn't real.

Many aspects of this world will be very different from Shadowrun. The hero doesn't fight a gigantic robot army. He doesn't fight for justice. He doesn't do it for anybody but himself. Hell, he does his best not to fight if it gets in the way. His enemies are tricky and petty, and the hero himself is tricky and petty. His goals are selfish and mundane. He isn't even a hero, just a mercenary.

Of course, none of this will be said. The reader'll just figure it out for his/her self.
Squinky
I would help you out on this if I had time, but it seems pressing lately.

Best of luck on this, I would love to see how it turned out.
emo samurai
Script for the first 4 pages will be up by tonight.
nezumi
I can draw slugs and potatoes. That help at all?

Regardless, the plot should include regular PC deaths and loss of limbs, as well as drop bears. I don't see enough of any of those three in other modern media.
emo samurai
OOOOOOHHHHHH yes.
emo samurai
Here's the script for the first few pages. I've got the feeling it'll be the easiest part to write, since it's in the stereotypical world of the hacker's simsense.

[ Spoiler ]

A lot of science fiction has an "origin" scene; LOTR, Terminator 2, Serenity, etc. I figured that the real origin for this webcomic, the backstory to the world, would come in the form of random bits of information gathered from the screamsheets and rumors on the forums. Many of the sources will be inaccurate or biased; I think having spotty, incomplete information keeps much better with the feel of the story than having an "And that's how everything came to pass" opener.
Drraagh
I'm working on a mix of a 3D rendered thing (like Amanda Hades except without real people and a sprite based comic. I am doing ti that way because while I can do pretty good with 3D programs, I am probably about as talented as the guy who does Bob And George.

Now, I know Sprite Comics are not for everyone, but me, I like 'em, so at least I'll be happy making 'em and there are at least a fair collection of sites doing it.
emo samurai
Dude, my webcomic will be EPIC. I need not your measly sprites!! biggrin.gif
FanGirl
A Modest Destiny was both epic and pixelated. The two are not mutually exclusive.

*Sings*
Seasons don't fear the pixels
Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain
We can be like they are
Come on baby, don't fear the pixels
Baby take my hand, don't fear the pixels
We'll be able to fly, don't fear the pixels
Baby I'm your (wo)man...

EDIT: If you're serious about making this comic, Emo, I would like to have some kind of creative input. It's been my dream to write a webcomic almost ever since I first discovered them, and if this SR comic is going to happen, I want in on the ground floor. I must warn you, however, that a webcomic written by me would be a bit more character-driven than the one that I think you're envisioning. We would therefore need to make compromises on which direction we would want to take it in. Speaking of directions: I would also prefer that there be a plot outline for the comic written up in advance, if only to keep us from writing it into a corner. Whaddaya say?

EDIT2: Maybe I could even write my own script to compete with Emo's! Better, stronger, faster! I have the technology! biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Your script will have too many puppies and nice people. biggrin.gif

I also edited in some stuff for RL Shadowrun.
FanGirl
There will not be puppies, you silly person. Puppies are your obsession.

Though I might put in a person singing "Dead Puppies." Just for you. nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (FanGirl)
that a webcomic written by me would be a bit more character-driven than the one that I think you're envisioning.

AKA - girly. A man's comic is explosion driven. The main character should be a street sam/lumber jack with a cyber implanted axe who likes kicking girly mages in the bean bag.
blakkie
....and the inevitable question, is it going to be version 3 or version 4 Shadowrun? <----- Not a serious question, please don't answer. Please. biggrin.gif
FanGirl
QUOTE (nezumi)
The main character should be a street sam/lumber jack

Do you really think that a lumberjack character would be all that manly?

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers....
wink.gif
Squinky
I think the lumberjack thing was a Maddox reference.
emo samurai
The lumberjack will punch out bears and kick children in the face.

Though I might put in a person singing "Dead Puppies." Just for you. nyahnyah.gif

Not the puppies!!
emo samurai
Project resurrection!
[ Spoiler ]
emo samurai
C'mon, what does everyone think?
Zeitgeist
I'm all for it, although I'm a bit cynical when it comes to this stuff, as I've written several webcomics that everyone has been "all for," but died because no artists were willing to draw it. That said, if you need a writer, I'm your man.
emo samurai
Hmmm... I was thinking of writing, since I can't draw, but I'd be willing to co-write if you gave a sample.

What do you think of what I've written so far?
emo samurai
Oh, and by the way, we really fucking need artists. I should look on Elfwood or something if nobody comes forth.
Kairo
If you're having a hard time finding artists, you could always do a Shadowrun Sprite Comic. An example of one is here: Flashback Humor

Just keep hitting the next button from that episode linked above and it takes you through about 12 episodes devoted to Shadowrun. The comic on Flashback Humor is poorly formatted since it's intertwined with the main comic of the website. But it is going to get it's own section once the web admins decide to reformat things.
emo samurai
I need one to like my script!!! mad.gif

Can you critique it to make it better?
Kairo
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I need one to like my script!!! mad.gif

Can you critique it to make it better?

All I saw of the script was the small spoiler you posted earlier. If you can post the entire thing, I could critique it from a better vantage point.
Kagetenshi
I've been looking for an artist for about a year and a half now. They're in short supply, and tend to be attacked by Real Life™ whenever they do appear.

~J
emo samurai
Here it is, all of it so far. The first 10 pages are a huge fake-out.
[ Spoiler ]
Kairo
Looks pretty good IMHO. You're right, with the visuals you have in mind, you'll definately want a sketch artist as opposed to doing a sprite based comic. I know a couple extremely good artists, but they're both doing their own webcomics right now. I can talk to them and see if they'd be interested in helping you after they're done with their projects.

Also, if you want a sample of their artwork, PM me and I'll send you a link or three.
emo samurai
Project resurrection!

[ Spoiler ]
warrior_allanon
Emo, you do know that others have made SR webcomics before, they have either lost interest or in time lost the time and funding to do them. Check out the belfry webcomic index for Kitsune, she did one for a while
Konsaki
She tried to do alot of different comics, though they all sorta fell through.
I liked how one of the main characters in her SR comic was a SURGE changling though. (Thats what I consider the fox girl, whether or not she was)
warrior_allanon
Konsaki, i always thought the kitsune character was a fox (shifter) shaman that the comet caught partially through her shift, either that or the ears and fox features were her renditionof a shamanic mask.
emo samurai
Nah, her shamanic mask was three glowy things around the side of her face.

And I thought Bulletproof was the only Shadowrun webcomic.

Update: I emailed Nicole, the artist and writer, and she told me she won't do another comic, since it took about 20 hours to draw each page, and that it took about 5 minutes to write one. Says a lot about my talents. :.(..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012