Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ambidexterity & 2 Weapons vs. 1 Weapon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Aaron
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
range trumps melee at ranged
melee trumps range at melee

Not entirely. At range, the melee guy has a chance to get some cover and concealment (the coveted C&C), and then arrange for it to become melee. C&C is hard to come by and even harder to use in melee.

So yes: on an open plain, at range, the gun guy has the advantage. Inside an average office building, probably it's the melee guy. In your average street, I'd say it's close, maybe leaning toward the melee guy if he can find some of that sweet, sweet C&C.
Cold-Dragon
...because the melee guy has to run up to do melee, gun still trumps melee in range, because it's no longer range that which the melee is being used. wink.gif

Close, but not quite. If you were to say you could dodge bullets, then chuck your battleaxe into their gut or remove their hand, that'd be melee trumping the gun.

But I'm being technical and getting amusement out of this.
Austere Emancipator
Aaron: To be clear, you're talking only about SR(4), and not what'd happen IRL?
Shadow
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jun 2 2006, 06:41 PM)
Tell you what though, firearm trumps sword everytime.

I have to disagree. I've run and played in a live-action game that used firearms and melee weapons, and I'd rather have a short sword than a gun in a pinch. It comes down to this: it takes two moments to shoot someone (aim-shoot), but only one to cut them (strike). Time and time again, I saw people "cut" down before they could finish aiming, all things being equal. Thrown weapons were also faster than guns.

Of course, if you've got a bunch of people that can cover multiple angles, then firearms become more useful, but one-on-one, unless the environment and situation is ideal for the gun-wielder, it's going to be the guy with the pig-sticker.

In Shadowrun, I'd say this would be bst represented by a melee fighter with multiple IPs, and plenty of dodge or gymnastics. Use the first IP getting close while performing full defense, and then cut them open in the second or third IP.

You were playing with morons then.

Guns are it, this is why they replaced melee weapons. Seriously I am sure a super skilled swordsman could manage stab a novice gun men if he had surprise. But that is pretty much the rule anyways, you have surprise, and you choose the battle ground you will probably win. Unless you are more than five feet away and they have a gun, then you die.

Now you need to pick the right tool for the right job, no clearing rooms with a 24" shotgun. Really though, I suggest you think about how guns work versus swords. And don't use the argument "if I can get in close" because you never will, not ever. You will be shot 100 yards away from the target.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Having broken my hand punching someone in the temple, I can speak for a number of ways in which that is *not* the best target for a fist.  A slight twist of the head, and you know what's in front of your hand instead of the temple?  That big solid bony front of their skull. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I was amused when my doc informed me I had what was called a "boxer's fracture." Apparently, little-finger-side metacarpal breaks are pretty common.

Well, for one, if you are punching, you want to only hit with the knuckles of your pointer and middle finger, why? Because the bones in your hand behind them are much less likely to break than your ring or pinky finger. Also, temple is a very specific target, if you hit the big bony front of their skull, guess what? You missed.
Aaron
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Close, but not quite. If you were to say you could dodge bullets, then chuck your battleaxe into their gut or remove their hand, that'd be melee trumping the gun.

You don't have to dodge bullets, just get out of their way. In real life, it's actually pretty hard to hit a running target, never mind one who's found some cover and concealment.
Aaron
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Aaron: To be clear, you're talking only about SR(4), and not what'd happen IRL?

Nope, I'm talking about real life. Yes, I really am talking about real life. Except the part where I specifically stated the concept for a Shadowrun (4) character.
Austere Emancipator
Okay. So you advocate knives and swords for CQB instead of MP5s and M4s? Have you considered contacting the Naval Special Warfare Development Group on this?
Aaron
QUOTE (Shadow)
Guns are it, this is why they replaced melee weapons. Seriously I am sure a super skilled swordsman could manage stab a novice gun men if he had surprise. But that is pretty much the rule anyways, you have surprise, and you choose the battle ground you will probably win. Unless you are more than five feet away and they have a gun, then you die.

Actually, point-blank shots against an uncooperative target are a lot harder than you'd think. My hand-to-hand instructor during Basic Training (and later, coincidentally, both my Kendo master and one of my martial arts instructors) had words to say that refuted the superiority of the firearm with varying degrees of contempt. As he said, if having a gun made you so superior, why would the Army waste so much time training its soldiers to fight hand-to-hand?

Guns are not "it," as you say. Guns merely take a lot less training to use. This creates the illusion of superiority, because "meat-head with gun" is more dangerous than "meat-head with sword." If they'd replaced melee weapons, soldiers wouldn't have bayonet-capable knives, and they certainly wouldn't stow them in combat-ready sheathes.

Now you need to pick the right tool for the right job, no clearing rooms with a 24" shotgun. Really though, I suggest you think about how guns work versus swords. And don't use the argument "if I can get in close" because you never will, not ever. You will be shot 100 yards away from the target.

Um ... I did think about how guns work versus swords. Guns take two actions to use, and swords take one. I also said that if you're on a plain with no cover or concealment, then the gun is superior (you are reading my posts, aren't you, and not just glancing at them?). But that changes a lot if you're in any kind of environment where there is cover or concealment.

The next bit is encapsulated for those who are bored with this conversation.

[ Spoiler ]

All of this cuts to the heart of the argument, which no one has made yet, but really should have been brought up some time ago. Weapons do not fight one another. People fight one another. There's no such thing as a superior weapon. I've been tossed like a rag doll bringing a sword against an unarmed man, and I've shot myself in the face with an airsoft against a man who'd been kneeling in front of me moments earlier. The tools are really inconsequential.

But if you're a meat-head, and you're fighting a meat-head, then yeah, go with the gun.
Aaron
Okay. So you advocate knives and swords for CQB instead of MP5s and M4s? Have you considered contacting the Naval Special Warfare Development Group on this?

=b
Austere Emancipator
Well, you seem to be saying their using firearms is stupid and bound to get them killed against knife-wielding opponents, especially in such confined spaces as they often face in maritime operations, so maybe you should clue them in. I'm sure they'll appreciate you telling them they've wasted decades on such silly toys as the MP5 when they could've been carrying katanas.
Teulisch
you want to use the right weapon for the job. this includes such things as range, reach, and such. at long range, you want to have a rifle, maybe a heavy weapon. at medium range, your better off with pistols and shotguns. at short range... now the swords come into play.

If i have an enemy at range, i may want to shoot him. a silencer is good if i need to keep quiet. If i have an enemy in close, i need a weapon to use, and fight him with what skill i have. A shock glove and unarmed combat is a good way to drop somebody.

If the swordsman gets suprise at sword range, hes gonna win. if a pistol and sword fight at pistol range, smart money is on the pistol (if he knows how to use one). at longer ranges? bet on the sniper.

If you have 3 swordmen, and i have 3 gunmen, with pistol, assault rifle, and sniper rifle, i think the guy with the pistol will die before i can kill all the swordsmen. lets hope he has docwagon.

to claim a sword is better than a gun is silly. but to claim that the adept swordmaster is better than the gunbunny street sam? he could be. tactics and luck are a significant part of combat in SR
Squinky
Aaron==Ninja Mofo.

Shadow
Actually, point-blank shots against an uncooperative target are a lot harder than you'd think.

No it's not. It's called CQB. Using pistols and SMG's two Delta snipers held off thousands of Somalis armed with machete’s and AK's. Ask them if they wasted there time on training.

My hand-to-hand instructor during Basic Training (and later, coincidentally, both my Kendo master and one of my martial arts instructors) had words to say that refuted the superiority of the firearm with varying degrees of contempt. As he said, if having a gun made you so superior, why would the Army waste so much time training its soldiers to fight hand-to-hand?

Whoopy do. Because the Army try's to prepare you for all situations, not just the most common. There will be times when you run out of ammo, or are forced into such close quarters (a trench) that you will need some skill in defense. IIRC correctly my hand to hand consisted of 3 hours and was a joke. I was told by my DI to never let anyone get close, that’s why you have a rifle.

No offense but your "Kendo Master" has the same attitude that most people with guns have. "I know/Have Kendo/Gun I am unstoppable. It's an attitude that will get you killed no matter what weapon you use.

Um ... I did think about how guns work versus swords. Guns take two actions to use, and swords take one. I also said that if you're on a plain with no cover or concealment, then the gun is superior (you are reading my posts, aren't you, and not just glancing at them?). But that changes a lot if you're in any kind of environment where there is cover or concealment.

The number of actions have nothing to do with it. You have to get into range to use your sword/knife. If your in range great, it's getting into range that will kill you. Concealment is negligible, since you just shoot through it. Cover is great if you can find it, but unless you are shooting back how do you propose to leave cover and not get shot?

All of this cuts to the heart of the argument, which no one has made yet, but really should have been brought up some time ago. Weapons do not fight one another. People fight one another. There's no such thing as a superior weapon. I've been tossed like a rag doll bringing a sword against an unarmed man, and I've shot myself in the face with an airsoft against a man who'd been kneeling in front of me moments earlier. The tools are really inconsequential.

While that has some merit, it is mostly crap. The tools DO matter. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. I am not sure what Military you served in, but I can't see how you could have served in any and think the way you do.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Shadow)
No offense but your "Kempo Master" has the same attitude that most people with guns have. "I know/Have Kempo/Gun I am unstoppable. It's an attitude that will get you killed no matter what weapon you use.

Just a FYI thing, kempo/kenpo is a style of unarmed martial arts, kendo is a style of fighting with a sword. If you're going to be referencing what someone said, you could at least reference it correctly without trying to correct something you have no knowledge in.
Shadow
Thanks for the heads up, I saw Kempo where he said Kendo. It doesn't change the relevance of what I said, but I agree, you should always quote directly.

you could at least reference it correctly without trying to correct something you have no knowledge in.

I am not trying to 'correct' him in how Kendo works, or its effectivness against other Kendo users. Kendo itself is less about sword fighting than it is about striking your opponent. Were not debating the merrits of Kendo here. We are debating his bold statement that a sword is better than a gun in close combat, based on his experience in larping.

LARPING.

People like Austere Emancipator, Raygun, and others have served in the freeking military and actually have been in Close Combat. So maybe the whole
QUOTE (Tarantula)
correct something you have no knowledge in.
comment should be saved for the guy advocating swords over Firearms based on his vast LARPING experience.

Tarantula
QUOTE (Shadow)
No it's not. It's called CQB. Using pistols and SMG's two Delta snipers held off thousands of Somalis armed with machete’s and AK's. Ask them if they wasted there time on training.

And how skilled were the somalis compared to the delta snipers? What ranges were they engaging in? Sure, charging across an open field with a machete toward two highly trained professionals with smgs you're very likely to get wasted unless they suffer from some sort of mechanical failure. If you're going to be making real life comparions, the only relevant ones would be when both combatants are aproximately equally skilled with their weapon of choice.

QUOTE (Shadow)
No offense but your "Kendo Master" has the same attitude that most people with guns have. "I know/Have Kendo/Gun I am unstoppable. It's an attitude that will get you killed no matter what weapon you use.

Yes, it is. Learn to adapt. Adaptation is how you survive, relying on the same trick to work always will lead to it failing.

QUOTE (Shadow)
The number of actions have nothing to do with it. You have to get into range to use your sword/knife. If your in range great, it's getting into range that will kill you. Concealment is negligible, since you just shoot through it. Cover is great if you can find it, but unless you are shooting back how do you propose to leave cover and not get shot?

Not always, you could throw your knife. Pretty useless in real life, but in shadowrun, it works pretty well, especially if you have a lot of strength. Regardless, as he said, if you're distanced, the gun will usually win. If you're close up, the knife/sword will usually win. There are exceptions to every rule.

QUOTE (Shadow)
While that has some merit, it is mostly crap. The tools DO matter. Never bring a knife to a gun fight. I am not sure what Military you served in, but I can't see how you could have served in any and think the way you do.

Sure, but never bring a gun to a knife fight. If its pitch black, and all you have to identify where your opponant is is by sound and feel, I'd much rather have a knife, so I could stab where I believe he is, or seeing him shoot randomly, attack where the muzzleflash was. Theres plenty of situations where knife trumps gun, or gun trumps knife. The only question is, which situation are you in, and do you have the skills and tools you need to survive?
Tarantula
QUOTE (Shadow)
I am not trying to 'correct' him in how Kendo works, or its effectivness against other Kendo users. Kendo itself is less about sword fighting than it is about striking your opponent. Were not debating the merrits of Kendo here. We are debating his bold statement that a sword is better than a gun in close combat, based on his experience in larping.

I merely assumed you had only heard of kempo, and were attempting to correct him in what style his instructor had taught. Obviously you have no knowledge of this beyond what he tells you, and that is what my arguement was aiming at. You said you simply misread the style, so feel free to ignore my comment about correcting outside of your area of knowledge.

QUOTE (Shadow)
People like Austere Emancipator, Raygun, and others have served in the freeking military and actually have been in Close Combat. So maybe the whole
QUOTE (Tarantula)
correct something you have no knowledge in.
comment should be saved for the guy advocating swords over Firearms based on his vast LARPING experience.

One last thing... Sure, they have, so they can discuss it as they have the experiece. As far as I can tell you haven't been in those close combat situations, and therefore you still are speaking outside of your knowledge even moreso than the guy with the LARP experience.
Squinky
Even as absurd as this arguement is (Blades vs. Guns) I can't stand by and let LARPING get mentioned as combat experience....I just can't...

LARPING isn't combat experience, no way.
Tarantula
No, it isn't, but its definately at least more practical than no experience with anything.
Squinky
Linking LARPING with combat knowledge is like linking masturbation to knowing how to please a woman. Swinging around foam weaponry in a playing field is in no way similair to real combat.
Tarantula
If you're a woman squinky, then your analogy is more apt. Simply because you'd know how to please yourself, so thus you'd have a better idea of how other women might want to be pleased. Larping gives you a better understanding for the level of skill used in a real combat, simply by having the experince of trying to hit someone while being (relatively) unskilled yourself.
Aaron
QUOTE (Shadow)
We are debating his bold statement that a sword is better than a gun in close combat, based on his experience in larping.

LARPING.

Yeah, LARPing. Well, performing a series of test fights with a couple different boffers vs. a few different Airsoft guns (which, incidentally, sting like a motherf*cker at close range) under various circumstances. We weren't really using any ruleset more complicated than "if I hit you you're injured or dead." I'm not sure whether there's a better word than "LARPing" for that, but if you'd like to call it something else, knock yourself out.

I've been in what one would call "real combat" before, but never where I had to kill anyone (thankfully), and never one with the aforementioned sword versus gun situation. If my little test case wasn't sufficiently accurate, then I'll happily compare data with someone who has run multiple tests with more realistic equipment (but I'd prefer not to participate, thanks).

In answer to the remainder of Shadow's post, I direct your attention to my previous posts. I hate duplicating my own efforts; it's annoyingly inefficient.
Shadow
I am just going to shake my head and walk away now. I pray you are never in combat, I really do.
crechebaby
This is seriously the stupidest argument I've ever.. even HEARD of. Seriously. However, being a woman, I did get a great laugh out of Squinky's last comment ;)
Austere Emancipator
I have not, in fact, ever been in life or death combat. I did get some unarmed and club training in the military because I was trained as an MP (in the Finnish DF), but it was for peace time operations only. Against any armed opponents we'd have our assault rifles, and we were taught to always trust 180 rounds of 7.62x39mm over our hands.

If I remember correctly, Raygun has not been in the military, but has way, way more experience in everything gun-related than I do.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
And how skilled were the somalis compared to the delta snipers? What ranges were they engaging in?

They were crap, and, AFAIK, they were engaging them somewhere between 5 and 30 meters -- this was downtown Mogadishu, after all, and the helo came down on or right next to a lot of shanties. Shughart and Gordon were armed with an M14 and a CAR-15, respectively, and at least Shughart also fired personal weapons from the helo crew. The most common weapon for the somalis in those crowds was probably the AK-47 and copies.

If someone believes the two could have done the same had they been 1337 ninjas with katanas instead, I fear for their mental health.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
If you're going to be making real life comparions, the only relevant ones would be when both combatants are aproximately equally skilled with their weapon of choice.

Such examples are quite rare, because it's usually just the fatally stupid and completely insane that decide to engage firearms with knives and swords.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Theres plenty of situations where knife trumps gun, or gun trumps knife. The only question is, which situation are you in, and do you have the skills and tools you need to survive?

I'm pretty sure the average shadowrunner is more often in situations where there is at least some visibility and he starts off more than 5 meters from the enemy than in situations where he's completely blind and the enemy is already hugging him. Or maybe that just goes for those shadowrunners who appreciate living.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
No, it isn't, but its definately at least more practical than no experience with anything.

With anything? I guess it may be better than never having been anywhere near anything even indirectly combat-related. Or it may just as well breed ignorance because LARP combat is governed by an utterly different set of laws from actual combat.

Not that I believe for a second you can beat an airsoft gun with a foam sword in most LARPing scenarios. Zero recoil, RoFs beyond 800rpm, magazine capacities generally well above 50 and extremely light, easily maneuverable weapons lead to lots of fake-dead motherfuckers.

QUOTE (Aaron)
[...] I'll happily compare data with someone who has run multiple tests with more realistic equipment (but I'd prefer not to participate, thanks).

Again, I'm sure DEVGRU will appreciate that. They run such tests non-stop, and have done so for decades. Same goes for most special operations forces around the world, and lately all well-funded military and police forces. Amazingly, every single one of them has reached the same conclusion: that guns trump swords. Enough so that, while they do also get taught some unarmed and knife fighting techniques, there is absolutely no question about which is the #1 killing tool.

QUOTE (Shadow)
I pray you are never in combat, I really do.

Why do you hate Darwin?
Tarantula
If someone believes the two could have done the same had they been 1337 ninjas with katanas instead, I fear for their mental health.

1337 ninjas would've just hidden and not had to kill anyone! DUH!

Also, the example that was mentioned said "held off thousands of Somalis armed with machete’s and AK's". Really, its more of a gun vs gun fight. I originally interperated it as the somalis had machetes mostly, with a few aks, and the delta force guys were able to hold them off by using guns, showing guns trumps swords. Not guns vs guns with a few machetes thrown in. If the case is delta force guys vs somalis with aks, all it shows is training pays off.

Not that I believe for a second you can beat an airsoft gun with a foam sword in most LARPing scenarios. Zero recoil, RoFs beyond 800rpm, magazine capacities generally well above 50 and extremely light, easily maneuverable weapons lead to lots of fake-dead motherfuckers.

I can, simply because the guy using the airsoft gun is just as untrained, and might just jump back and scream when you charge at him, rather than drawing and fireing in a manner similar to a trained professional. Maybe he hits the trigger guard instead of the trigger with his finger. Left the safety on. (Do they even have safetys?) Left his clip empty. Was out of CO2. Guns are much more complex than a sword, and have more chance to malfunction.... not to say that its the case in anything remotely resembling a large number of cases, but the less trained the person is using it, the more likely user error will occur.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Tarantula)
If the case is delta force guys vs somalis with aks, all it shows is training pays off.

Since no somali could get within machete range of Shughart and Gordon before getting killed, it was assault rifles vs. assault rifles. I'm sure there were hundreds or thousands of somalis that would have wanted to get closer, but even they weren't that stupid. They just waited for the hundreds or thousands of AK-carrying guys to get lucky.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
I can, simply because the guy using the airsoft gun is just as untrained, and might just jump back and scream when you charge at him, rather than drawing and fireing in a manner similar to a trained professional. Maybe he hits the trigger guard instead of the trigger with his finger. Left the safety on. (Do they even have safetys?) Left his clip empty. Was out of CO2.

So what you're saying is, as long as both combatants are fucking morons, the guy with the sword wins? I can buy that. That has no bearing on the majority of RL or SR combat, however.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
1337 ninjas would've just hidden and not had to kill anyone! DUH!

And in doing so would have abandoned the only reason they were there. Pfeh. Ninjas are pussies.
Tarantula
I dunno, I'd say quite a lot of people are fucking morons and walk around with a knife of gun with them with the "I can use this and be ok" idea behind it. When a situation comes up, who knows who'll win, simply cause they're both fucking morons.

As far as SR combat goes, you're right, but trolls bows shooting through tanks isn't very good either, but it happens. Sword guys can beat rifles sometimes too, it happens.
Austere Emancipator
The clinically retarded who are holding a weapon for the first time usually stay the hell away from combat. Or else they get killed in short order while those who know what the fuck they're doing continue fighting. Either way, they make no real impact in the serious fighting that goes on around the world between groups of people with firearms.

Even the idiots you saw jumping around in the streets with AKs in the footage of "war" in Liberia are bright enough to kill equally sucky people with machetes.

Melee can be effective in SR, way more so than IRL (like I implied in my very first message in this thread), but that doesn't really have anything do with the relative stupidity of all the characters in the game. It's got more to do with the same sort of silly rules that allow for anti-vehicular bows, like you said.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ May 31 2006, 10:25 AM)
Legend tells that Miyamoto Musashi (famous early 17th Century Samurai, who is renowned  for developing the two sword fighting style, among other things) defeated his reputedly most skilled adversary, Sasaki Kojiro, using a wooden training sword. (A as in one weapon)

Its not a legend. He started using a Bamboo sword against all his opponents. He felt bad about killing so many men who would challenge him just to be the guy who defeated him. So he started taking challengers with a Bamboo training sword, also called a Daito. He defeated allot of men using that. And as far as I know he did use two swords, but it wasn't like he invented or even pioneered duel wielding. he was most famous for the Bamboo sword.

Small correction, he did defeat a master swordsman using a Bokken, a wooden oar that was carved to resemble a sword. His opponet used a No-dachi.

Slight nitpick 1: Daito translates very roughly as "longsword" and is generally synomous with katana.

Slight nitpick 2: A bamboo sword is called a Shinai. It is commonly used in Kendo and other competetive martial arts today due to the fact that they are safer than traditional hardwood swords.

Slight nitpick 3: Shinai were not commonly used when musashi was fighting. Instead more dangerous but more realistic curved hardwood swords were used for practice. These swords were all called bokken which translates very roughly as "wooden blade." Bokken does not simply refer to a sword carved from an oar.

Slight nitpick 4: Musashi chose to use an oar for his weapon against Kojiro Sasaki simply because of the reach advantage it provided. The oar was longer than Sasaki's nodachi. Sasaki did die from his wounds. It is quite easy to beat someone to death with a wooden sword.

Since no somali could get within machete range of Shughart and Gordon before getting killed, it was assault rifles vs. assault rifles. I'm sure there were hundreds or thousands of somalis that would have wanted to get closer, but even they weren't that stupid. They just waited for the hundreds or thousands of AK-carrying guys to get lucky.

Just because they didn't try a massed suicide charge dosn't mean that a suicide charge doesn't work. Zulus armed with spears have used the tactic to kick British ass.

The thing about suicide charges though is that they are suicidal. The entire point is to throw as many bodies at the enemy as is possible so that they would be able to kill them fast enough. Some will get to melee range and those that do can cause significant damage. Once the initial defenders are taken down and the fire abates the rest f the group would be able to charge in practically unhindered. Of course, most of the original waves wil be slaughtered.

Suicide charges can work in a one-vs-one situation, as well. It is quite possible for a kniveman to charge a gunman and cause fatal injuries before succumbing to gunshot wounds himself.

But suicide charges are usually a waste of lives. They are only to be used sparingly, as the Zulu's found out the hard way.

Guns and knives, in general, are used from completely different postures. On the streets, guns are most often as standoff weapons. They can be used to respond to attacks, to maintain distance, and to maintain control over an enemy. Knives, on the other hand, are weapons of assasins. They work best when the enemy is unaware; you shake a friend's hand with your right and gut him with your left or you sneak up and stab them in the back.

The big difference is that you need less manuvering and less deception to effectivly use a gun in most cases but a knife can cause potentially more damage. if you ever have a chance to use it simply due to the side of the cavity you can potentially carve out.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Zulus armed with spears have used the tactic to kick British ass.

The Brits did not all have several select-fire small arms in arms reach, nor would they have been well enough trained to effectively engaged several fast-moving targets with cover had they had such weapons.

Sure, if a thousand somalis had decided to charge the 2 Deltas at the same time, that would no doubt have worked. The amount of courage required to do that would have pretty much negated the advantage in discipline of TFR, though. In fact, the amount of courage that kind of suicide charge takes crosses the border into stupidity in my book. The Spraying Bullets Wildly Around Corners probably allowed them to overtake Shughart, Gordon and Durant with less casualties.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
On the streets [...]

I take it this refers to "street level" streets? In which case it's largely true. When very poorly trained and undisciplined combatants engage each other with firearms, it's mostly suppressive fire. With disciplined and trained combatants, however... Well, US soldiers on the streets of Iraq are rather more commonly "assassinated" with firearms than knives. smile.gif In very specific and constricting sets of circumstances, I admit that knives can be more effective killing tools. I'm only saying these scenarios make up a small minority of all the lethal combat that takes place between humans.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[...] a knife can cause potentially more damage. if you ever have a chance to use it simply due to the side of the cavity you can potentially carve out.

So you're only comparing knives to handguns with FMJs when you cannot get off a well aimed shot? Anyway, given an opponent that doesn't fight back, anyone with basic weapon handling skills can score a kill within a second with any serious weapon, while if the opponent does fight back doing a comparison like this becomes kinda hard.
Aaron
QUOTE (Shadow)
I pray you [Aaron] are never in combat, I really do.

Why do you hate Darwin?

No, no, it's okay. I pray that, too.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[...] a knife can cause potentially more damage. if you ever have a chance to use it simply due to the side of the cavity you can potentially carve out.

So you're only comparing knives to handguns with FMJs when you cannot get off a well aimed shot?

No, I'm simply making an observation based on maximum potential wound size per attack against an unarmored enemy in general.

In very specific and constricting sets of circumstances, I admit that knives can be more effective killing tools. I'm only saying these scenarios make up a small minority of all the lethal combat that takes place between humans.

Of course, which is entirely my point. Using a blade effectivly against an armed enemy requires a great deal of manuvering that is not necessary if you use a gun instead.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
No, I'm simply making an observation based on maximum potential wound size per attack against an unarmored enemy in general.

I'd love to see the knife which, with a single attack, causes more lethal tissue damage to a human than 9 pellets of 00 buck at 1200fps or, say, a .308 Win 165gr HP at 2700fps. A Daiklave, perhaps? smile.gif

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course, which is entirely my point. Using a blade effectivly against an armed enemy requires a great deal of manuvering that is not necessary if you use a gun instead.

Okay. I guess I'm being a bit aggressive about this because I'd like it to be made absolutely clear that, as a rule, in combat, whether it be in apartment or office buildings, forests, beaches, fields, streets, or hills, guns trump swords.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

I'd love to see the knife which, with a single attack, causes more lethal tissue damage to a human than 9 pellets of 00 buck at 1200fps or, say, a .308 Win 165gr HP at 2700fps. A Daiklave, perhaps? smile.gif

If you measure lethality by the volume of a permeant wound cavity with preference given to depth than a gladuis or practically any other wide blade of sufficient length. Of course, 9 pellets of buckshot has some advantage because they create 9 separate cavities that may or may not overlap.
Austere Emancipator
I'm pretty sure nobody's ever made an edged weapon that will create a wound cavity in tissue which can challenge some .308 HP loads in volume. Or can you fit an NFL spec football inside a wound caused by a gladius? You can beat most combat small arms in depth of penetration with any a blade that's more than 2 feet long (though you'll need a greatsword to match heavier solid bullets), but it makes little difference when you're going to get complete penetration of the target human body with most attacks.
Squinky
Guys, we can solve this quickly and easily. I'll go get an old broomstick and duct tape foam on it, one of you get a squirt gun. Just make sure you yell "Burst fire!" when you attack.

Butterblume
For really close quarters I would prefer a knife.

Regarding the gun (pistol): I have seen people miss a 2m² target at 10 meters for 40 tries in a row, and that was under ideal, aka no-stress, situations. Of course, they weren't trained.
Neither was I, but I might have been just talented nyahnyah.gif.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Regarding the gun (pistol): I have seen people miss a 2m² target at 10 meters for 40 tries in a row, and that was under ideal, aka no-stress, situations. Of course, they weren't trained.

Did someone tell them what the small protrusions on the top of the gun were for? Were they legally blind?

The first time my MP platoon handled our (at least) 30-year-old, heavily beaten up Hi-Powers, there was only one guy who managed to miss the 60cm diameter round targets at 25 meters more than once out of 10 rounds, and he was the dumbest motherfucker I've ever known.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Butterblume)

Did someone tell them what the small protrusions on the top of the gun were for? Were they legally blind?

They probably moved the gun down when pulling the trigger (that seems to be the most likely explanation).
I am not sure if they hit later in basic military training biggrin.gif. But then, only officers and medical personnel carried pistols in our unit wink.gif.

Everytime someone mentions finnish military, i think of Simo Häyhä
-X-
A small pistol can be used almost as if it was a jabbing knife in close quarters, only you don't need to commit to the attack to use it. Cybernetic triggers make this even more true.

As long as ammo (and jamming) isn't a huge issue ranged weapons rule. In a fight between a moderately trained kendo enthusiast and someone wielding a rifle or weapon of equal or greater barrel length while inside, I'd go ahead and bet on the guy with the sword. But even still I'd be a little nervous about losing my money, and the distinct possibility that the two would kill each other.
DrowVampyre
I'm no expert, but I've gotta say that there are very, very few situations when a knife or sword beats a gun. If you don't believe me, ask the samurai (very skilled swordsmen) who got cut down by Oda Nobunaga's musket wielding troops (far less trained with their slow rate of fire, inaccurate guns). Or, for a more modern example, the Japanese officers in World War II that led banzai charges armed with katana and more often than not got cut to ribbons by the opposing American soldiers.
Shrike30
In response to the "it takes one action to cut a guy, two actions to shoot him" comment made earlier:

A lot of places that provide firearm instruction will teach stress firing techniques. One of the things that gets taught is point shooting; the sights on the gun aren't used, and often times the gun isn't even brought up to eye level, because the intention of the drill is to get the shooter familiar enough with the weapon he's using that they're able to engage targets at the kind of close ranges we're talking about (within a couple of meters) as quickly as possible. Weapon familiarity and hand-eye coordination let you know within a small enough arc where your weapon is pointed that, once the gun is in hand and pointed in the right direction (just like you have to have a blade in hand and pointed in the right direction before you cut someone), you start shooting, and at the kind of ranges point shooting is meant to be used at, you should be on target.

If anyone's having trouble visualizing this, a decent example in film can be found in Collateral, when Vincent (Tom Cruise) finds himself being held at gunpoint by a thief in an alley. After knocking the gun out of line with his face (a cool-looking move, but not what we're watching this bit for), he's got a very limited amount of time to handle the situation, as the thief is still armed and has an accomplice (who is also carrying a gun, although it's not drawn). Vincent draws his sidearm, rotates it to the horizontal without raising it above his lower ribs, and fires twice into his target's torso, then turns to engage the accomplice. "Aiming" in the classic sense (lifting the gun to eye level, extending the weapon at arm's length, and aligning the sights) never happened, and was unnecessary at that range.

Are there situations where I'd rather have a knife than a gun? Sure, I can think of a couple. However, the likelihood of my encountering one of them is so small, even compared to the relatively low chance of my encountering a situation where I need a gun, that it seems almost silly to devote more than a small percentage of your training time towards those situations.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jun 3 2006, 12:01 AM)
Well, for one, if you are punching, you want to only hit with the knuckles of your pointer and middle finger, why?  Because the bones in your hand behind them are much less likely to break than your ring or pinky finger.  Also, temple is a very specific target, if you hit the big bony front of their skull, guess what?  You missed.

Speaking as the guy who broke his hand, uh... no shit. I learned the difference between "upper knuckles hitting temple" and "lower knuckles hitting solid bone next to temple." It's a few degrees of head twist.

I get the impression that missing happens relatively often if they name the type of fracture after people who punch each other for a living. Since I was a teenager with no real training in how to punch people (and I didn't have wonderful advisors like you on the Internet to tell me how to do it right, either), I tend to look at breaking my hand on someone's head as being a learning experience that I'd like to try and save others from experiencing, if I get the chance.
Tarantula
In that case, if you don't know what the hell you're doing, yeah, aiming for a dime sized target thats surrounded by dense bone isn't exactly the best idea. Better ones would be the throat, side of the jaw, nose, solar plexus or groin. Mostly soft targets, called so because you don't have to hit them as hard to cause damage.

Regardless, when you have a glove on over your hand, you're really only able to hit the side of their head, with maybe a little more pressure on the temple from where your knuckles compressed the foam a bit more. Mostly, its called a boxers fracture because even when you know what you're doing, you'll mess up eventually, so when your living is punching, you're gonna screw up and break a little bone every now and then.
Akimbo
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Legend tells that Miyamoto Musashi (famous early 17th Century Samurai, who is renowned for developing the two sword fighting style, among other things) defeated his reputedly most skilled adversary, Sasaki Kojiro, using a wooden training sword. (A as in one weapon)

The part of that that should be in emphasis is that it was a wooden sword, not that he used one. Miyamoto Musashi killed many adversaries with two weapons. He got as far as he did with two, not one. He was skilled enough with a sword that he could handle two. Two weapon fighting is tough. Almost impossible to do effectively. But there are some who overcome that obstacle and become good two weapon fighters.
Aaron
QUOTE (Akimbo)
The part of that that should be in emphasis is that it was a wooden sword, not that he used one.  Miyamoto Musashi killed many adversaries with two weapons.  He got as far as he did with two, not one.  He was skilled enough with a sword that he could handle two.  Two weapon fighting is tough.  Almost impossible to do effectively.  But there are some who overcome that obstacle and become good two weapon fighters.

That's odd. In Musashi's A Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho), he writes in the Book of Water that two swords should only be used when there are many enemies. He mentions using "two swords" a few times in books other than the Book of Water, but he doesn't mean literally using two swords, rather that you are using all of your resources (e.g. focus, perception, terrain, etc.) to fight; if he'd meant it literally, it would have been in the Book of Water with the rest of the weapon techniques. Against a single skilled opponent, he himself always used a single sword, even though he is generally held to be the inventor of the two-sword school of fencing (Nito Ryu).
Akimbo
I stand corrected. I admit that I can make a mistake too. However, you don't have to be sarcastic and downright rude about it.

I used to take kendo, and after the class, our instructor gave us the option to hang out and learn some other sword techniques. We actually did cover some of the Nito Ryu techniques. It was in fact with two swords. Not easy to do, but it sure was a lot of fun.
Aaron
QUOTE (Akimbo @ Jun 9 2006, 07:20 AM)
I stand corrected.  I admit that I can make a mistake too.  However, you don't have to be sarcastic and downright rude about it.

Please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to come off as rude or sarcastic. I forgot to note that I was going from memory, and I could have been wrong, myself. I also failed to take into account that tone is difficult to convey in text, an uncharacteristically newbie mistake.

Again, I apologize.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012