Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Levitate & HALO jumping
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Edward
I have always assumed that magic will use ether the manna sphere (which is moves with the surface of the earth) as a absolute stationary. This would mean that any off planet colonies developing mana spheres would have the magical stationary linked to the space station or the new planet they are on.

The remaining problem is the effect of inertia.

If you cast levitate while descending at terminal velocity how long will it take you to stop. And can you descend at the falling rate while you have a levitate spell running (its not going to use additional energy.)

As to the parachuting it is indeed a brilliant bit of tactical planning. After all the GM likes it so it will almost certainly work. wink.gif

Edward
-X-
It sounds like rip-roaring cinematic fun. Unless I was really worried about future abuse I wouldn't stress too much about allowing them to do it especially with spirit and spell help.

As for the levitate spell treating it as a vehicle with an acceleration rate equal to its speed seems like it would work. Though that could make it hard to stop yourself from smashing into the ground if you start too late, but I'd actually prefer it that way personally.
Witness
Well, I confess no small amount of disappointment! In the final push of planning, the HALO jump idea was abandoned (hey- maybe they do read DS?!), and thus the whole idea has been rendered a mute point, except for those folks that might be wondering about this issue and thereby stumble upon this thread through the miracle of search-fu.

For those who were wondering about what would happen (like Shrike30), they ended up opting for something much more in line with Edward's plan- creeping in under false pretenses. Probably just as well, to be honest!

With some help (yes from the AI as well as some allies) they co-opted a Waste Collection truck to get into the area (shades of Firefly: Trash, though it didn't quite go as far), as well as a second vehicle, a Limo, also rendered plausible through a combination of fast talk and AI record-altering.

Sadly, things weren't what I would call 'fully thought out', so things went a bit rat shit. They got to the gate of the house in question, found they couldn't just walk to the front door (the house's grounds had a gate), so buzzed on the doorbell at 5am on a Sunday morning, while a KE drone closed in on them, wondering why they'd deviated from the route that had been 'booked'.

Oh and then one of the hackers glitched a roll to take over the drone, and.. AWOOGAH, AWOOGAH! Or.. nearly.

They really should have died, but to tell you the truth I had from the start expected this to go wrong (this particular situation has been on the cards for about 2 years- in-game and out-of-game time), and I had in place a degree of plot-enhancing Deus-Ex-Machina (i.e. Megaera) to bail them out of one heap of trouble. Into another heap of trouble of course, but that's another story! wink.gif

It was a cool session (but sadly not because they did especially cool things), but it just goes to show: I only asked about the Levitate-vs-Parachuting question. Couldn't possibly, and wouldn't, have covered all the ins and outs of the situation in a public forum like this.

Still, I appreciate all the comments that people have made, so thanks for participating. 1 karma apiece. smile.gif

P.S. The family lived. Just. But medical aid was needed, because sure enough one of the kink bombs was set off. Happily it was more of a vein-popping charge than a full blown brain blaster, and only one of three went off in one of the children. Magic was able to save her (long enough to get to a decent medical facility at least). Ain't I nice.
Witness
Neat. Yeah that's close to the kind of hi-tech jump suit that I had in mind for them. In fact it's probably better!

For the aid of one of the players who wasn't at my last session, one of my other players has posted a really good description / story about how the mission actually went down.

I can't promise it'll all make sense to anyone outside our game because there is an extraordinarily long backstory, but I think it can stand up on its own and it reads beautifully. So feel free to check it out if you're curious and you've got 5 minutes to kill. I'm sure he won't mind.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fool)
I actually did this once in SR 3.  Jumped out of the plane and cast levitatea about 1/2 way down, with the air spirit it worked marvelously.  But the GM is rather into gutsy moves like jumping out of a high altitude plane with no chute on, besides we had 2 mages in the group so we had the whole party covered.

...yah, but they still lost the crates of supplies that were air dropped with them.
eidolon
Hehehe.

Mage: "Um...that was the weapons..."

Sam: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Witness, tell your player "badass writeup". That's cool. Game sounds fun too. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012