Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the first time, I have nothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
eidolon
Well. That's odd.

Today, just about an hour ago, I realised that for the first time in years, I have no new role playing books to look forward to. D20? Nah, their money grab, quality free crap has finally put me off buying completely (to top of the fact that I'm just not that big a fan of the system). SR? Nah, I don't like SR4.

No new D&D. No new SR. My two primary lines have lost their draw (for me).

To make it worse, I'm only about 10-20 books away from finishing out what books my OOP collections lack. What then?

A very odd feeling, this not being on the edge of my seat for the "next book" for my "favorite game".

FanGirl
Make your own system, then! smile.gif

EDIT: Either that, or find another hobby.
Platinum
Get involved with the Sr3r project.
JongWK
How about getting some non-RPG books until you find new RPG stuff that excites you?

If so, I strongly vote getting "The Cold War: A New History," by John Lewis Gaddis. Brand new (December release, IIRC) and really, really good.

eidolon
Lol. Real responses! You guys are so cool. (not sarcasm)

I have tons of hobbies and such. I was merely lamenting the lack of having RPG books to look forward to spending too much money on. smile.gif

It is an odd feeling, after 10 or so years of "needing those books".

QUOTE (FanGirl)
Make your own system, then!:)

Already doing that. smile.gif We're on hold right now until a couple of the designers get moved and settled (me being one of them). We should pick up later this year.

@ Plat: Nah. I might yoink from it eventually, but I like SR3, even including what we complain about. To me, anything that needs "fixing" for my games can just be done by me per situation. I have a feeling that getting involved with SR3R would just end up being argument after argument about different ways of handling stuff.

To be fair though, I haven't really been following it, so it might be going along nicely. Maybe once I get moved I'll look at it more closely.

@ JongWK: Thanks for the suggestion, but the Cold War has never really piqued my interest. Any more, my reading tends to stay in the realm of fiction anyway.
Moon-Hawk
I know how you feel about that other game. I still enjoy it, though. I can't help you with the crap quality money grab thing, but as far as not being a big fan of the system, have you looked at the Grim n Gritty 4.0 system? (availible from RPG Now) I don't mean for this to be a plug, it's not my system or anything, I'm just a pleased customer, but I bought it a little while ago and I really like it. I find myself wanting to apply it to most d20 products that I play. It's definitely worth checking out.
I'm still undecided on SR4. When it first was announced I was mad. Then when I read it I was hyper-pissed and vowed to never play it. Lately I'm feeling like there are some aspects that I really like, and depending on the coming sourcebooks it might turn out okay. So I am still awaiting SR4 books, unlike you, but I do so with some serious reservations.
I can definitely see how that must be a somewhat weird feeling, not eagerly awaiting the next book of a favorite game, after so long.
Lindt
With Shadowrun being 'my' game (different person has all the In Nomine stuff, someone else has the Call of Cthulu stuff), Im looking at the inevetable end. With just the core sr4 book out, and how much I dislike that, unless the rules expansions really get my lovin' Im just going to have to go mine for older sr3 stuff.

Which kinda bums me out, because as part of the convention team I eather have to step away, or learn to like a system I just don't fundemently love.
Moon-Hawk
I'm still hoping for rules expansion lovin'.
eidolon
I know what you mean, Lindt. I have nearly every book from all of first, second, and third edition SR. (I'm missing adventures, but I don't like them so I only pick them up when I see dusty copies in the dollar bin.)

There's no way I'll be able to stomach running SR4, although I have admitted to myself that I'd play it if it were the only game offered withing an hour's drive. Maybe.

As to that grim & gritty thing, I might have to check that out. I'm actually totally fine with the game (3.5) if you get the right kind of gamers in a group. Get the "wrong" kind though, and I can't stand to play or DM. That's true for any system, I suppose, but moreso (to me anyway) with d20 junk.

Moon-Hawk, have you looked at Iron Heroes? It seens pretty "gritty". I'm actually really anxious to play in a game of that (don't really want to GM it though).

I do have one thing going for me. My group's rookie (he's actually been with us for a while, but he's still the new guy wink.gif) is now running AD&D 2nd edition, and he's good at it *gasp*. After nearly 6 years, I'm playing in a good AD&D2 game! Of course, I only have two (three if I play the day before I fly) sessions left before I move. frown.gif
Willowhugger
Well you could always buy My Novels and I'm working on my own RPG for that setting wink.gif

They do need some new Shadowrun stuff though.
eidolon
Hey, lemme know when they come out. I'm up for checking out new authors (new to me..I have no idea if you're a "new" author smile.gif).
Moon-Hawk
"Iron Heroes", hmm? Haven't looked at it. I'll give it a look, thanks.
And enjoy your AD&D2. I think AD&D2 will probably always define D&D for me. To me, all D&D is either before AD&D2, after AD&D2, or AD&D2.
What a great game. "Thac0:". Heh. Good times.
eidolon
My current character would shout: "Praise be to Gorm!" for that post. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012