Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The ultimate Shadowrunner?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Zolhex
Ok first off let me say yes I know I have no life of which to speak of but then again if I did I wouldn't be able to post this topic lol.

So as of late (the last 2 weeks) I have watched from season 1 to season 5 of MacGyver and the thought occurred to me would you rate MacGyver as The ultimate Shadowrunner?

Think about it he can do just about anything with everyday items that are laying around so there shouldn't be any situation he can't get out of or run he can't pull off.

Anyway just a thought have fun with this topic if you have thoughts on another TV or movie character that would make for an ultimate Shadowrunner lets hear who it is.

Ready Set Go! (I'm going to bed now see ya tomorrow)
Ophis
I had to go for the taken out option, bad guys would just shoot him...
nezumi
He just had an overly generous GM.
Digital Heroin
In response to the claim the bad guys would just shoot him, I suggest you watch a few episodes... they do shoot -at- him, they don't hit him.

MacGuyver = One edged out motherfragger...
Tanka
How many times was he captured?

Please. In the world of SR, the moment any corp got their hands on him, it'd be a one-way ticket to death. That or a cranial bomb that would be activated if he didn't do precisely what they told him to do.
Zolhex
QUOTE (tanka)
How many times was he captured?

Please. In the world of SR, the moment any corp got their hands on him, it'd be a one-way ticket to death. That or a cranial bomb that would be activated if he didn't do precisely what they told him to do.

I am gonna have to disagree with you here.

I think corps would want to interrogate him first and like in the show they may feel that they can do that after they have taken the time to secure the facility that he just broke into which gives him time to make his escape.

However I do agree if he didn't get out fast then yes they would more than likely kill him or do something to make him useable to them.

As for him getting captured all the time well that was just what they called good TV with his skills and knowledge then add in growing up in the 6th world I would think he would be alot more carefull.
eidolon
Ha. 3 "No" and 3 "He'd get taken out". (I was a no.)

Looks like the bitchin' 80's hair just isn't enough.
Nasrudith
He'd get taken out instantly by old age. biggrin.gif

Even if he was transported he's be in trouble from his lack of knowledge of the world, as would anyone suddenly trasnported from the past to there.

Something like this would probably happen when he sees a troll.
"Ah a monster!"
"Fragging humanis bigot."
* troll punch*

His refusal to use guns is also major thing against him for any run that goes down the drain.

Unless he was awakened.....

Lindt
Hmm With killing hands, he be totally fine...
Zolhex
QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Jun 10 2006, 11:45 PM)
He'd get taken out instantly by old age.  biggrin.gif

I was going on the basis of he was born between 2045 and 2050 which makes him between 20 and 25 years old and he knows the world and how it works.

QUOTE (Lindt @ Jun 11 2006, 12:48 AM)
Hmm With killing hands, he be totally fine... 

Now that makes for an interesting thought.
nezumi
Ugh, don't make him an adept. Every hero from every series it seems is considered an adept. He just has a super high int score.

That said, I WOULD love to see him take out a spirit with a paper clip, his swiss army knife and a bunch of rubber bands.
hyzmarca
MacGuyver certainly isn't an adept. He's basicly just covert ops/face with a lot of knowledge skills. Of course, his covert ops skills and his face skills are both lacking because of the amount of points spent on knowledge skills.
Zolhex
Hey now I never said he was an adept just that it sounded interesting. If you stop and think but it though all his adept powers could be on stealth, skills and face abilities. He was always good at senaking past the bad guys and dam if he didn't know how to do almost anything as well as being a good negotiator.

nezumi It's not a paper clip it's a rubberband the knife and several paperclips to make the paperclip slingshot of spirit death silly.gif !
hyzmarca
You can't kill a spirit with a paper clip slingshot. That's silly. But you can clip a bunch of paperclips together and use them as a whip with the rubber band as a handle. That'll kill a spirit almost as well as a Ronco pocket fisherman will. cyber.gif
Zolhex
Can I dikote the paper clips?
nezumi
QUOTE (Casazil)
Can I dikote the paper clips?

You can't, but MacGuyver can, using only his pocket flashlight, aluminum foil and fingernail clippings.
Moon-Hawk
If you give MacGyver magic powers (or any super powers) he instantly loses all of his cool points. He's just good stats, good skills, 8 edge, and some clever choices of positive/negative qualities.
Rajaat99
He has potential, if he would learn to use a gun and ride a motorcycle.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Rajaat99 @ Jun 14 2006, 08:31 PM)
He has potential, if he would learn to use a gun and ride a motorcycle.

He doesn't need a gun (but trust me he knows how to use one) and he does know how to ride a motorcycle did it in season 6 disk 4 episode high control (yes I am now watching season 6).

The whole point of Macgyver is that he can do what needs to be done without a gun which I think is one reason why he does so well.

Street rumor gets out that your character is doing runs and you don't care if you have to kill people to get the job done. when the corp your ripping off catches you they have no problem in killing you.

Where as for Macgyver street rumor is out there he refuses to use a gun the corp in question may decide to just inprision him as he goes outta the way to not kill.
hyzmarca
He refuses to use a gun but he really likes bombs and he isn't adverse to blowing people up, droping them down mineshafts, tossing them off mountains, droping buildings on them, electricuting and droping them into a vat of oil, and ectcetra. Of course, none of these things actually killed Murdock but Macguyver has no way of knowing that he'll susvive untill the body vanishes.
Zolhex
Haha hyzmarca that's a good one and also true murdock always seems to come back but alas i'll need to wait till season 7 comes out to see if he returns yet again and please if you do know don't spoil it for me.

Mac also make guns only they are stun types and with so many different types of stun guns in SR maybe he would use one of them?
KillaJ
QUOTE (Casazil)
Mac also make guns only they are stun types and with so many different types of stun guns in SR maybe he would use one of them?

MacGyver+ELD-AR=Mission accomplished.
Drraagh
Personally, I do agree that Mac would make a cool runner, maybe not the best but still an excellent one none the less. However, I would have to say that pairing him up with Rollie Tyler from F/X (the movies and the TV series) would be an interesting team.

For those who don't know, Rollie Tyler is a special effects movie guy. In the series most especially, he deals with all sorts of situations that make use of his skill in effects from dealing with bombs to engineering an organized crime sting, even stealing the crown jewels.

And while I'm naming characters, there's one more I can see adding to this sort of brainy list. Jarod, the Pretender. As the TV show opened with: 'There are pretenders among us. Geniuses with the ability to be become anyone they want to be. In 1963 a corporation known as the Centre isolated a young pretender named Jarod and exploited his genius for their research. Then one day their pretender ran away...'

I suppose an honorable mention goes to John Doe from the same named TV Show, but I can't really see him as a runner. He was more of a good guy, while Jarod, there was more darkness to him that could see him cross the line to runner.

Just a few more names to consider, but yes, I do admit that Mac would make a great runner. Pop a maglock with a paperclip, bypass the million dollar security system with a piece of chewing gum and a rubber band.
Zolhex
I can agree with ya Drraagh those are some good choices from other tv shows. I liked John doe wish they had keept it going oh well as for the pertender can't say I ever got into it and Rollie I only ever watched the movies he was cool.
hyzmarca
Jarod certainly was dark. He tortured someone every episode. In fact, I think he is the only television hero to regulary employ torture as a means of obtaining confessions. I don't see him becomming a shadowrunner full time. His sense of justice is too strong for that. In the Sixth World he'd just wander afrom place to place and right injustices whereever he goes as he did in the series.

Macguyver would probably work fro the Draco Foundation. It is the Sixth World's closest analog to the Phoenix Foundation. Both are powerful non-profits that are way too involved in international intrigue.
Zolhex
Jim Profit from the Profit tv series was a really dark character as well. it is thought that it is so dark that's why they canceled it. here is the background to this series.

Jim Profit works for a multinational company, and isn't above using any means necessary to get ahead, and that includes bribery, blackmail, intimidation, extortion, and even murder. Now everyone at the company, including the president, Charles Gracen are oblivious to his dark side, as a matter of fact, Gracen thinks of him as a golden boy. But Joanne Meltzer, the company's security chief looks into his eyes, she sees something sinister. And when her boss, Jack Walters is looking into some irregularities at the company, he asks Joanne to look into and initially, the person she cornered said it was Profit who was behind it, but when Profit learned of this, he convinced this person to change the story she told Joanne. But Joanne knows that Profit is evil and so she tries to get the goods on him, at the same time, Profit tries to find a way to neutralize her and anyone else who might believe her.
Birdy
Angus would make a solid operative. But I'd prefer:

Clive Cusslers "Dirk Pitt" (Novel version). Cross-breed McGyver with O'Neil

Carter from StarGate. Bigger explosions

Rally Vincent form Gunsmith Cat(s): GTO's and Belt-fed weapons

Lt. Starbuck. Luck, Luck, Laser-pistol, Luck, Outch Athena found out, Luck

The IMF team from either series

Shadow
Mac Swift from Swift Justice, Ex-Navy Seal, Ex-Cop.
The Equalizer
John Locke from Lost

Theres another guy but I can't think of his name atm.
Zolhex
The Equalizer ya know I should have thought of this one dam it's so long since it was on tv.
Ophis
Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin.
child of insanity
god... how would you run a pretender? give him the pretender edge, allowing the use of any skill with an intellegence roll first to learn the skills in question?
i've always loved that show, and wanted to play jarod in SR.
Drraagh
QUOTE (child of insanity)
god... how would you run a pretender? give him the pretender edge, allowing the use of any skill with an intellegence roll first to learn the skills in question?
i've always loved that show, and wanted to play jarod in SR.

There could be a few different items you'ld need to do the Pretender as a character. First option would definately be that Edge, though I don't have the specific details for that edge in front of me. A couople more options I would add would be things like Cerebral Boosters and Mnemonic Enhancers to give some extra brain functionality. Probably be a character with knowledge skills with your highest priority and then your active skills so that way you have a wide range of things you can do. Same with some other edges/flaws. Perhaps one that reduces time to learn new skills or a 'Jack of All Trades' that gives a bonus die or something.
Oracle
I think the existence and availability of personafix chips, skillwires and skillsofts renders a pretender character rather useless... biggrin.gif
Shadow
He could be a pretender adept. Give him a special adept power that lets him perform any skill at his Int level. Then give him Int as an exceptional attribute. I would make the Adept power at least 6 points.
hyzmarca
Search and ye shall find.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...t=0#entry134233
Zolhex
Ok so I started this topic because I had been watching Macgyver on dvd.

Now as of late I have been watching StarGate SG-1 on dvd.

So far 7 out of 8 seasons I'll start season 8 tonight after work and sometime after the 13 I'll watch season 9 inbetween watching the record setting season 10 on the Sci-Fi channel.

But this brings me the question would SG-1 make for the basis of the ultimate runner team?

Are there other groups that you can think of that make cool ideas for a runner team? (Yes I have thought of the A Team series)

Please feel free to put your 2 nuyens worth in.
Demon_Bob
I think of the Ultimate shadowrunning team as a group of experts all working together for a common goal, somewhat simular to special forces.

Shadowrunning teams are also deniable assets, of which SG1 is most certainly not.
SG1 is to high profile. Some of the other teams may be a bit more discreate, and having a Goverment Shadow team should be possible, but discreate and deniable does not seem to be SG1s general M.O.

The odd thing is in most games I often see players acting more like a group of individuals with a common goal than a team. The biggest exception to this was when I was playing with mostly military personel.
hyzmarca
The deniablility of SG1 is debatable. Everyone on every other planet in the universe knows them by name. However, no one on Earth has ever heard of them. To the people of Earth they're just some guys who examine deep space radar telemetry in a base under a mountain. No one bothers to ask why they're examining deep space radar telemetry under a mountain or why it is highly classified or why they kicked NORAD out of their mountain so they could use it for something as useless as examining deep space radar telemetry or why high stained special operators are examining deep space radar telemetry when they could be kicking Osama's ass. But other than that they are very low profile.

- That was one of our spaceships. The United States Air Force doesn't have any spaceships. They're from the planet Melmac.
Zolhex
one point here hyzmarca the sgc is down on levels 22 and lower i think norad is still up top.
hyzmarca
There is a nuclear bomb in the SGC just in case the base is compromised. The mountain will contain the blast and burry the stargate but such a detonation would destroy NORAD, crippling the Stratagic Air Command and potentially starting WWIII if some nervous people have itchy trigger fingers.
And let's not forget the alien parasites that would love to take control of a large nuclear arsenal.

Keeping NORAD the same mountain as the SGC is terribly stupid. The fact that no one has even mentioned NORAD after all the alien infestations, time diliations, and aborted self-destructions suggests that it has been moves.
Zolhex
Well I guess this makes the discussion on NORAD a moot point now.

Relocation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012