Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knife Amnesty in UK
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
knasser

If a cop makes money from people commiting a crime, such as speeding, or he is under pressure from his boss / organisation to do so, then the motivation of the cop goes from preventing crime to hoping for it.

In the UK, the Labour government has introduced on the spot fines for "loutish behaviour" and other indiscretions such as parking in resticted areas. Wheras before a policeman's motivation would be to defuse a situation and caution people, or inform someone beforehand that they couldn't pull up somewhere, the system now rewards lying in wait. And incidents that would previously have resulted in a "keep it down, lads" because they were insignificant are now written up and you'll get marched to a cash machine if yuo don't have it on you. I doubt that credit card accepting police are far behind. Note that you can't refuse to pay these fines (well, you can, but you know what I mean), instead you have to go to court to get a refund. The policeman has been endowed with the role of judge and jury also. Naturally, name address are recorded for the Database (and occasionally DNA sample).

And another thing, did you know that...<<SIGINT... No Carrier>>

HI, This is knasser. I was just joking with the stuff above. The police are actually all honest people and the government deeply cares about us. I fully support increased profiling and monitoring in order to ensure my safety.
Brahm
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jun 25 2006, 12:37 AM)
Eh, they say the same for cars, thats why a lot of newer vehicles and most fleet owned vehicles have full time headlights. And I believe a lot of car insurance companies give discounts on insurance premiums as a added saftey feature if you have them. I just find it silly that rain has a magical factor in the situation. I have only been in one rain storm in the 13 years I have been driving that I couldnt see, so I pulled over. The headlights only reflected back and made it worse like it does in fog. I mean a light misting is enough to turn your windshield wipers on, so I should have my headlights on? The rain being kicked up by the tires of traffic after the storm are enough to cause you to turn your wipers on, so I should have my headlights on?

Sorry, im just in a arguementitive mood right now. smile.gif

It isn't so your headlights allow you to see better, it is so you see other vehicles better because of their headlights.

The thing with rain, and I'm not talking just heavy rain here, just enough to keep water on the pavement, is that everything gets greyish and usually the it is a little darker because of being overcast. Depending on your vehicle colour you can really start to blend in, and the clouds of misty spray of tires kicking up water from the pavement and any droplets on your side/rear windows and edges of the front where the windshield whipers don't reach makes it worse.

But I'd not stop at rain. Headlights 24/7 period, which is exactly what I use myself. For me turning on the headlights is as totally automatic and consistant as putting on my seatbeat. I really wish other people would help me out by doing so too (a number of people do here), instead of relying on judgement calls about how dark it is. Because dusk/dawn lighting can be tricking, what seems like an environment where other vehicles are easy to see without their lights on can from a different angle be a lot more difficult.

My first vehicle that had an alteration to support lights on all the time was back in 1987. It was a government surplus fleet vehicle. They had all their vehicles fitted with, if I remember correctly, an automatic shutoff that turned off the lights if you turned off the ignition. Basically a battery saver so you could just have the light switch knob pulled on all the time. The government happened to be in the auto-insurrance business, a monopoly infact, and that had a "Lights On For Life" campaign to reduce accidents which included a headlights on all the time policy for all government vehicles.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jun 25 2006, 12:37 AM)
Eh, they say the same for cars, thats why a lot of newer vehicles and most fleet owned vehicles have full time headlights. And I believe a lot of car insurance companies give discounts on insurance premiums as a added saftey feature if you have them. I just find it silly that rain has a magical factor in the situation. I have only been in one rain storm in the 13 years I have been driving that I couldnt see, so I pulled over. The headlights only reflected back and made it worse like it does in fog. I mean a light misting is enough to turn your windshield wipers on, so I should have my headlights on? The rain being kicked up by the tires of traffic after the storm are enough to cause you to turn your wipers on, so I should have my headlights on?

Sorry, im just in a arguementitive mood right now. smile.gif

It isn't so your headlights allow you to see better, it is so you see other vehicles better because of their headlights.

The thing with rain, and I'm not talking just heavy rain here, just enough to keep water on the pavement, is that everything gets greyish and usually the it is a little darker because of being overcast. Depending on your vehicle colour you can really start to blend in, and the clouds of misty spray of tires kicking up water from the pavement and any droplets on your side/rear windows and edges of the front where the windshield whipers don't reach makes it worse.

But I'd not stop at rain. Headlights 24/7 period, which is exactly what I use myself. For me turning on the headlights is as totally automatic and consistant as putting on my seatbeat. I really wish other people would help me out by doing so too (a number of people do here), instead of relying on judgement calls about how dark it is. Because dusk/dawn lighting can be tricking, what seems like an environment where other vehicles are easy to see without their lights on can from a different angle be a lot more difficult.

My first vehicle that had an alteration to support lights on all the time was back in 1987. It was a government surplus fleet vehicle. They had all their vehicles fitted with, if I remember correctly, an automatic shutoff that turned off the lights if you turned off the ignition. Basically a battery saver so you could just have the light switch knob pulled on all the time. The government happened to be in the auto-insurrance business, a monopoly infact, and that had a "Lights On For Life" campaign to reduce accidents which included a headlights on all the time policy for all government vehicles.

I agree, I was just ebing a dick last night.

But Id put more effort myself, into shooting drivers using their cell phones before I jump on a person not using their headlights in the rain.

I mean you cant wait a couple minutes to get home before you start running your jaws to your wife/husband about your crappy day? Im sure its a treat for them also, hearing you bitch. Then they ask you to repeat it several times because the ambient noise is carried over the line better then your speech or the crackling and static. Or better yet, just bullshitting with someone, then honking your horn because someone cut you off and is probably on a cell phone also talking about how bad you drive.

I wish cell phones did cause brain tumors.
Brahm
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jun 25 2006, 11:10 AM)
I mean you cant wait a couple minutes to get home before you start running your jaws to your wife/husband about your crappy day? Im sure its a treat for them also, hearing you bitch. Then they ask you to repeat it several times because the ambient noise is carried over the line better then your speech or the crackling and static. Or better yet, just bullshitting with someone, then honking your horn because someone cut you off and is probably on a cell phone also talking about how bad you drive.

Some months I put on upwards to 15,000km (nearly 10,000 miles) and 2500+ minutes on a cell phone (no brain cancer for me nyahnyah.gif i have a 3 watt booster and external antena). That's just going to lead to a LOT of overlap.

I have friends that generally say "ya, I hate people talking on cell phones while driving, but this one guy I know I actually trust to do it safely". That'd be me. It is about attitute and disipline, that driving is clearly and always first. So I'll do things that are normally considered poor phone ettiquette. Like sometimes I'll just stop talking because something important about driving is coming up or happening.

I'll also pull over if I expect the phone stuff to require a lot of concentration, or if I'll be dealing with someone where the altered phone ettiquette is going to be an issue.

We already do these things like this when we are driving, such as talking to passengers. We just haven't yet in society as a whole developed and accepted the ettiquette to promote safer cell phone methods by drivers.
hobgoblin
do not most cars these days come with a automatic cutoff for headlights so that you can leave them on the weaker setting 24/7 and have them turn on when you start the car?

if not, get yourself a cheap relay (or whatever its called) and attach it to the main battery cable and the headlight wire...

as for cell phones in a car, get a handsfree. either a wired one or a bluetooth based one. some new model cars even come with bluetooth handsfree buildt into the car itself.

worried about battery life? i belive i have seen some that you can plug into that "lighter" socket, and work just like a speaker phone...

on the topic of speaker phone. more and more phones come with that feature buildt in to wink.gif

but then im used to being able to pick and choose the phone i want as both big carrier in this nation use the gsm network and sim cards...

from what i understand, thats not a option in some other nations...
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
But Id put more effort myself, into shooting drivers using their cell phones before I jump on a person not using their headlights in the rain.

Brahm's right as to the reasoning behind headlights being on. It is significantly easier to see another car in the rain if its headlights are on. Where this helps most is on highways, where the increased distance between cars makes rain a bigger visibility issue, and where pedestrians and fallen trees aren't as big a problem. The reason I care more about this than cellphones is that while there may not be great reasons to talk on the cellphone for extended periods of time in the car, there's no reason at all not to turn on your headlights. Additionally, not using headlights in the rain is illegal in North Carolina, whereas cellphones are legal to use. Enforcing one would just require police to actually enforce it, making it a police issue, whereas the other one would first require legislation outlawing it and then for the police to enforce it.

As for hands-free sets, studies have shown that they don't solve the real problem with using a cellphone while driving, which is that your attention is elsewhere. There's something about the way people think while they're talking on the phone that makes it more distracting from your immediate environment than listening to music or talking to someone in the car. That's why cellphones, even with a headset, tend to make people worse drivers, while other activities that use your hands, like eating, don't have as big an impact. To tie this into Shadowrun, that's why the Car skill is linked to the Reaction attribute: it's partially derived from Intelligence.
Frag-o Delux
I already agreed with Brahm, I know headlights are good for saftey, I was just being a prick last night.

And why not outlaw cell phones in cars. They past legislation to make headlight use required where you and where I live, though I still dont turn mine on till I cant see.

I do however refrain from using my cell phone while driving, much to the dismay of my former bosses that thought I would answer it anytime they called. They were always mad at me because I wouldnt answer the phone while driving and only called them back when I got to my destination. Which sometimes was 2+ hours away.

Washington DC has already outlawed cell phone use in the city. So why shouldnt other cities and states?

And I agree with that study also. Using a phone is nothing like talking to a person in your car. Even sitting in my house on the phone I lose the ability to concentrate on other tasks, where if there are people in the room with me I can have the same conversation and continue to do things normally.

I use to do tech support and talking to customers on the phone and writing it all down in their case file was a real skill. Most times I wrote short hand notes on a paper pad then after the call typed it all in.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (SirKodiak)
As for hands-free sets, studies have shown that they don't solve the real problem with using a cellphone while driving, which is that your attention is elsewhere. There's something about the way people think while they're talking on the phone that makes it more distracting from your immediate environment than listening to music or talking to someone in the car. That's why cellphones, even with a headset, tend to make people worse drivers, while other activities that use your hands, like eating, don't have as big an impact. To tie this into Shadowrun, that's why the Car skill is linked to the Reaction attribute: it's partially derived from Intelligence.

do you happen to have a link?

i recall a recent study (an no, not the mythbusters one silly.gif) about the use of handsfree. but i dont recall it doing any comparisons to doing anything else in the car, including talking...

it sounds a bit strange to me that talking on a phone, even with a speaker phone or handsfree setup, is more distracting then just talking to someone in the car.

ok, so it could be something about brain prosesses, but i would like to read up on said study.

as for eating, i dont know. somtimes i wonder if life would be simpler if we where squids or somthing. there are any number of times where i feel i need a extra arm or 6...

ShadowDragon8685
I think the problem with cell phone handless sets isen't that you can't talk and drive at the same time. People do all the time - when we have a friend in the car. When people who have radios in their cars use them. Hell, when we're flying planes, we're talking almost nonstop.

The problem with cell phones is when you pass a connectionless area, it frizzes, and the person on the other end goes "What did you say?!" And you have to dedicate some brain-time to remembering what you just said and repeating it. Then you get frustrated because they say it again and again, and sooner or later driving is the back-burner task and talking is the primary.

And you do not want driving to be the back-burn task.
hyzmarca
Talking on the phone creates a type of virtual space between the talkers. A talker's mind is on this virtual space more than it is the road. On the other hand, speaking to someone who is in the car does not usually create such a virtual space since real space is sufficient for the conversation.
Brahm
Physical over hands free isn't that huge a deal. How many people drive with their hands at 10 and 2, unless shifting gears, all the time? Some do. I even do it fairly regularly, but certainly not all the time. But then I drive a lot of gravel roads/offroad, and that's pretty damn critical to be on top of stuff right away.

The problem with a phone in hand is shoulder checks to that side must be more pronounced to get the same view, and poor shoulder checking already is a problem so this can exasperbate the issue.

The second problem is related to what I already talked about, ettiquette. If for some reason I'm on the phone with a handset in hand and something urgent comes up I have made it my first instinct to literally drop the phone and get that hand back on the stick or wheel as needed.

Once again it is an ettiquette thing about cell phones. When someone is in the car they can visually see that the driver diverting attention from the conversation to operating the vehicle. For most people (i.e. the people other than say a psycho-spouse who just has to be paid attention to all the time nyahnyah.gif ) this is good enough to let it slide. But on the phone there is no such visual clue for the person on the other end to:
a) understand the driver isn't being rude
b) STFU

They were always mad at me because I wouldnt answer the phone while driving and only called them back when I got to my destination. Which sometimes was 2+ hours away.

I'd be pretty choked too if I had asked you to respond to phone calls and it took you 2+ hours to find a spot to pull over. cyber.gif

Of course it is hard to say just how much of this "cell users are bad drivers" antedotals are just that they are visible, and the bad driving caused by listening to loudly played Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" (that's when my driving is at it's worse cool.gif ), or chatting up my passengers, or just being a all around moron is that having a cell phone in had visually sticks out. Just like driving a minivan or an SUV doesn't make you a bad driver, but so many people drive SUVs and minivans and it visually sticks out that they are driving them when they try to lanechange overtop of you.
Brahm
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Talking on the phone creates a type of virtual space between the talkers. A talker's mind is on this virtual space more than it is the road. On the other hand, speaking to someone who is in the car does not usually create such a virtual space since real space is sufficient for the conversation.

This can happen too, depending on what you are talking about. But it can happen with in-person conversations as well. "Did you turn off the stove before we left?" That's a question that will take your vision off the road back to your house.
James McMurray
If a cop makes money from people commiting a crime, such as speeding, or he is under pressure from his boss / organisation to do so, then the motivation of the cop goes from preventing crime to hoping for it.

Like a huge number of crimes, speeding is something that cannot be porevented ahead of time by a cop unless he installs some sort of speed regulator on your car or sits beside you. Pulling them over while speeding stops them though, at least until they get back on the road and out of sight, although most people I know stop speeding for a while (days to weeks or more) after they get a ticket.

Not every crime is that way, and I'm not looking for another good-cop/bad-cop debate.* I just figured I'd point out that little tidbit, since it seemed the original post was ignoring it or unaware of it.

* This is only because I'm busy and tired. Otherwise I'm more than happy to debate almost anything almost any time, which is probably a great shock to everyone here, as I'm sure you're all used to just my laid back and happy go lucky persona. wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
There is no such thing that is so important that it cant be dealt with in time. Especially in the business Im in. IM not a doctor on call to do that liver transplant, so if its that impotant, tough cookies.

So me taking 2 hours to get back to you shouldnt be that bad.

When my boss calls me up and says I need you to drive 300 miles from home to do something that is only going to take you 15 minutes to fix Im not stopping on the side of the road because the boss wants to know where he put his car keys. And stopping on the side of the road is almost as dangerous as driving on the road using the cell phone. Its amazingly stupid the questions I get asked on a routine basis. Shit my bosses should know, shit the project co-ordinators should know. I guess I dont pull over right away to call them back because I hate them also. smile.gif

And as far as only noticing bad drivers using cell phones because they stand out isnt so. I notice the bad act first, then the driver.

I can give more stories on how I see bad cell phone drivers, but thatll be boring.
Austere Emancipator
I bet you fucking hate truck drivers. Or are radios etc. exempt?
hyzmarca

QUOTE (James McMurray)

Like a huge number of crimes, speeding is something that cannot be porevented ahead of time by a cop unless he installs some sort of speed regulator on your car or sits beside you. Pulling them over while speeding stops them though, at least until they get back on the road and out of sight, although most people I know stop speeding for a while (days to weeks or more) after they get a ticket.

Of course it is. All he has to do is put up a giant sign that says "Radar gun in use" and park his patrol car in plain sight.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
And stopping on the side of the road is almost as dangerous as driving on the road using the cell phone.

On a highway, significantly more dangerous. You badly, badly overstate the "dangers" of cell phone use, but pulling over and then re-merging are legitimately hazardous.

~J
Frag-o Delux
I do hate certain truck drivers. Long haul drivers are generally good drivers, the short haul drivers, mostly local delivery guys suck ass. They get 9 to 5 pay or paid by the trip. SO they try to do as much as fast as possibble and tend to say fuck traffic and the laws.

My friend has always tried to bring up truckers, cabbies and police using the radio while driving as counter points for cell phone banning. While his arguement that ther are more of those then cell phone users may have been true in 2000, almost everyone has a cell phone today. My house alone has three of them.

But the thing is, none of these people sit and have conversations on these radios for extended periods of time. In fact the FCC says they cant. The truckers use a citizen band that they cant keep tied up, the Police use an emergency band that requires they put breaks in their messages to make sure another person isnt trying to really an emergency on that channel. Taxis use a citizen band also adn they pretty much only talk on the radio while parked anyway.

EDIT: I cant be overstating it that much if laws are startign to be passed to stop cell phone use in moving vehicles, the cell phone companies print literature stating that its a dangerous thing to do. But thats just my opinion. Go ahead and keep driving with your cell phones stuck to the side of your head. AS I cant tell what you do for a living or how much time you spend on the highway, so I cant say how much of this you see. I on the other hand spend 5+ hours a day on the roads.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
EDIT: I cant be overstating it that much if laws are startign to be passed to stop cell phone use in moving vehicles, the cell phone companies print literature stating that its a dangerous thing to do. But thats just my opinion.

It's quite the opinion if you think that every law is passed for a good reason and every bit of warning literature is always a legitimate concern.

(More on the earlier can of worms after some sleep, as it requires some legitimate thought)

~J
hyzmarca
Experiments do show that cell phone use reduces reaction time. Of course, so does drowsiness.
Frag-o Delux
If you think that I think all laws are good and warnings are anything more then litigation protection I must not be doing sarcasm well or I havent posted here a lot lately.

I guess the only thing I can say is that in all my years cell phones have nearly caused me to have many accidents.
Kagetenshi
I didn't really think that was your opinion, but when you justify a statement (one that is a public worry, like many legitimate and not-legitimate fears) by saying that laws and warnings take the same position, the only reasonable non-circular conclusion is that your position is that laws and warnings are, in general, always about legitimate concerns. If you accept that laws can be based on false fears and warnings can be protection from litigation from those who use products outrageously or negligently, the fact that laws and warnings exist that agree with your point merely means you aren't the first to think of it (which you didn't claim).

I would also question your assertion that cell phones nearly caused you accidents. It's far from impossible, but neither is it foregone—it is also possible that bad drivers nearly caused you to have accidents, and that the fact that they happened to be using a phone is mostly irrelevant.

~J
Frag-o Delux
Ok, when a person using a cell phone cant look over their left shoulder to see me coming and pulls out of a drive way and I nearly hit her. I claim the cell phone as fault.

If a guy on his cell phone is laughing and joking with the person on his cell phone so much he dosent yeild the right of way at a yeild sign and nearly runs into me, I blame the cell phone. Which happens many times at this on ramp, almost always people on cell phones, the people not on cell phones have been pretty much good at yeilding right of way.

When I was driving down the highway and approached an on ramp a guy on his cell phone dialing almost hit the side of my car, I blame the cell phone.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jun 25 2006, 10:04 PM)
Ok, when a person using a cell phone cant look over their left shoulder to see me coming and pulls out of a drive way and I nearly hit her. I claim the cell phone as fault.

I deny that claim. She could put the cell phone down, look, pull out, and pick the phone back up.
If a guy on his cell phone is laughing and joking with the person on his cell phone so much he dosent yeild the right of way at a yeild sign and nearly runs into me, I blame the cell phone.

I deny the blame. He ignored posted signage. Cell phones do not interfere with vision. Would he have ignored it any less if he was laughing and joking with people in the back seat?
When I was driving down the highway and approached an on ramp a guy on his cell phone dialing almost hit the side of my car, I blame the cell phone.

This time, you've managed to give few enough details that I can't provide a meaningful disagreement, but I suspect the cell phone is not at fault.

Edit: never mind, you did provide enough details. He was approaching a place where cars regularly enter his lane, and was (by implication) looking somewhere other than the road. A lot of people overstate how much attention is required to drive, but to divert it at one of the few places where all visual attention, at least, is needed is simple, old-fashioned negligence.

~J
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Jun 25 2006, 10:04 PM)

I deny that claim. She could put the cell phone down, look, pull out, and pick the phone back up.
If a guy on his cell phone is laughing and joking with the person on his cell phone so much he dosent yeild the right of way at a yeild sign and nearly runs into me, I blame the cell phone.

I deny the blame. He ignored posted signage. Cell phones do not interfere with vision. Would he have ignored it any less if he was laughing and joking with people in the back seat?

This time, you've managed to give few enough details that I can't provide a meaningful disagreement, but I suspect the cell phone is not at fault.

Edit: never mind, you did provide enough details. He was approaching a place where cars regularly enter his lane, and was (by implication) looking somewhere other than the road. A lot of people overstate how much attention is required to drive, but to divert it at one of the few places where all visual attention, at least, is needed is simple, old-fashioned negligence.

~J

She should have could have, but she didnt. People that I see with cell phones most times feel they must answer the phone and must talk to the person on the other side no matter what is going on. I get it in my house, my house line will ring and everyone around freaks out becasue I didnt answer it. Like the world is going to end.

True he would have possibly ran the sin anyway, but why is that if I see ten cars run that sign at least 8 of them are on cell phones and if I see 10 cars stop at that sign 8 of them are not on the phone? That guy just happened to stick out in my mid while I was typing that post.

And cell phones have been a major increase in the reason why people arent looking where they are going.

Look, I have been to many driving classes, corporate and state funded classes. They have pressed the issue driving takes a lot of attention and diligence to avoid accidents. I am confident enough to say that because I am not distracted by a cell phone and pay attention to what I doing and what others are doign around me I havent had an accident in 12 years that involved other cars or people. In fact because I pay a lot more attention to the road I have avoided many accidents.

Ill explain my two accidents so you know it wasnt a lack of attention. The first was trying to get into a cell phone tower that was surrounded by a bunch of poles. There was a path to get by. But due to heavy rain and it being 2 am I misjudged my turn and clipped the pole. The second was was backing down a dirt road to get out of a cell phone tower lot. The the back wheel got stuck in a deep mud puddle. Rocking the van back and forth to break free, the right side tire grabbed and I wasnt ready for the left wheel to come loose like it did. It spun the van around, clipping a tree stump. Since I was in a turn doing that, the left tire was turned out and the tire clipped the stump, breaking the tie rod.

Anyway we are just going in a circle. I feel cell phones are a distraction that causes many more problems then wed have if cell phones were outlawed while driving. You feel otherwise. Im done with this.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
People that I see with cell phones most times feel they must answer the phone and must talk to the person on the other side no matter what is going on. I get it in my house, my house line will ring and everyone around freaks out becasue I didnt answer it. Like the world is going to end.

In general I will respect your desire to end this discussion, but I have to say, at what point did you decide that this was no longer the responsibility of the people involved and had become the fault of the item itself?

~J
hyzmarca
Has anyone ever considered that the biggest cause of automobile accidents and negligent crashes is the failure of the agencies responsible for road safety to impliment a functional gridguide system. The technology that would allow cars to drive themselves along a road with imbeded magnetic markers has existed for more than a decade. The technology for a car to judge the speed and distance of antother vehicle and adjust ts own spped accordingly is even older.

The fact that people still have to drive their own automobiles is an utter failure of all persons involved in road construction and safety. Countless lives could have been saved if automatic driving were implimented on a wide scale.
Frag-o Delux
Have I ever said it wasnt the persons fault? The cell phone its self isnt making the person drive badly. But it certainly facilitates bad driving. Much like knives dont make people kill other people, but they certainly make it easier for people to do it. Placing blame on inanimate objects is pretty stupid.
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course it is. All he has to do is put up a giant sign that says "Radar gun in use" and park his patrol car in plain sight.

Texas, at least in the DFW area, has a lot of places like that. There's even places where unmanned radar stations tell you the speed limit in giant numbers, and your exact speed in giant numbers right under it. Almost nobody ever slows down at them, despite it being an area where there are lots of police.

It's an odds game. If there are 500 drivers passing through during the hour you're driving to work, and only 20 of those get tickets it's very easy to just assume it won't happen to you, or that you'll be able to slow down enough once you actually see the officer or your radar detector pings.

Sure, having the signs in place probably does slow some people down, but it's a far cry from preventing speeding from happening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012