Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Give the sammies a little love...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Nim
QUOTE (James McMurray)
The facility I work in uses badges for all personnel. All entryways have revolving doors with badge readers. They only stay mobile for long enough to get one person through. Supposedly (I've never rsiked it) you can actually get caught in the door if you're too slow, and have to reswipe.

I assume they're smaller than a 'typical' revolving door, so it's not possible for two people to crowd into the same section?
Shrike30
QUOTE (Nim)
Hmm. Yeah. I was thinking of secure areas only because of the inconvenience factor.

If there's something in it worth hiring shadowrunners to steal (that is, your game involves breaking into it to steal something), it's worth a little inconvenience coming into or going out of the lab in the name of security.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Nim)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jun 22 2006, 03:28 PM)
The facility I work in uses badges for all personnel. All entryways have revolving doors with badge readers. They only stay mobile for long enough to get one person through. Supposedly (I've never rsiked it) you can actually get caught in the door if you're too slow, and have to reswipe.

I assume they're smaller than a 'typical' revolving door, so it's not possible for two people to crowd into the same section?

Yeah. You could probably do it if one person rode on someone else's shoulders, but they're small enough that a really overweight person might have problems getting through without having to swipe twice. I don't know what kind of system it has, but it could easily be put on a timer requiring anyone not working that shift to get a gaurd to buzz them through, helping to avoid the "swipe his badge" problem.

In SR it would also help to avoid the "swipe his badge, torture him for his passcode, and use retinal modification to mimic his eyebal" problem.
Lilt
@James McMurray: The fact that a GM can balance things is no excuse for poor game design.

If you say that sending a force 9 spirit at them is like sending milspec vehicles at the party, then consider that any of the shaman sample characters could summon a force 9 spirit given use of their edge. The sheer fact that the comparisson is being made is indicative that magic is too powerful, and the fact that a completely normal street-level character can summon one means that it's not as unreasonable as fighting opponents with milspec gear.

I personally have not seen anybody getting those rules wrong. Many of the points are fine and I completely agree with them, I have a few counter-points however:
  • 1: Invisibility does go a long way, however, particularly when it's backed up by the concealment critter power and a bit of stealth.
  • 4: PCs go around in a group and have spell defense from the mage, enemies don't nessecarily have such a luxury.
  • 6: This is exactly what I meant when I gave my 'shaman summons a high force spirit' example. Once the PC mage summons a big spirit, either it's fair game for the enemies to do it (making the sammy useless) or the PC mage keeps doing it and thrashing the opposition (making the sammy useless). The same goes for using mind control on the party and similar, reacting to magic with enemy magic just makes the PC mage more important and the rest of the party unnessecary.
  • 9: A watcher spirit can warn you if you're about to go through a ward and not percieving.
All of those security measures sound great... Closing doors? Who'd have thought of that? [/tongue=cheek] Anyhow, I wasn't saying that mages could do anything, only that sammies do tend to be made redundant by them (or that often you'd be better-off with a second mage rather than a sammie). Once you start adding hacking and bypassing skills then you start ending-up with a hacker or covert ops rather than a sammie, which I didn't think mages were completely ready to take-over the position of just yet (maybe once the magic book comes out).
Nim
Let's see. Other security tactics against magical threats:

* The best, cheapest defense against a spellcaster is to be out of LOS. The real reason for your security guards to have ultrasound goggles isn't to spot the invisible mage; it's so they can still shoot the runners after they toss their cans of hot smoke.

* Drones drones drones. And automated defenses. Yes, they can be targetted with indirect combat spells, but those are a lot less efficient.

Geekkake
QUOTE (Nim)
Let's see. Other security tactics against magical threats:

* The best, cheapest defense against a spellcaster is to be out of LOS. The real reason for your security guards to have ultrasound goggles isn't to spot the invisible mage; it's so they can still shoot the runners after they toss their cans of hot smoke.

* Drones drones drones. And automated defenses. Yes, they can be targetted with indirect combat spells, but those are a lot less efficient.

Both of these are fantastic points, which I try to make use of in corporate settings. Especially drones.

Y'know, thinking about it, it's actually kinda funny. In the "omg mages pwn sammies" argument, no one ever brings up drones, or riggers. Riggers can eat mages alive. That 4 Threshold to affect a drone is significant. But the sammie? A well-placed grenade. So I guess it's sort of a paper-rock-scissors thing. Mages can pwn sammies, sammies can pwn riggers, riggers can pwn mages.
Shadowmeet
I can just see it.

"What? A mage? I can take him. I'm just going to hide in this Trashcan, and get my drones to frag his ass."

*after several minutes of fighting later*

"Ha! Fragged him!"

*trash can opens and grenade falls in*

"Gah!"

*trashcan closes. Boom*
Shrike30
Bahaha!
Dr. Dodge
i think it's important to note that mages usually suck on defense, so when those force 9 spirits are running around, they may have a better chance at damaging it, but they also will suffer the most being hit by it. but hey this argument has been going on forever in every edition. if it seems like such a huge deal, there's always CP 2020.
Shrike30
If the mage wants to keep counterspelling up on his teammates, he needs LOS to them, right?

You know what also works real well with LOS? Hand grenades nyahnyah.gif
Lilt
Riggers owning mages? Sortof, I think some people calling this are remembering holdovers from 3rd edition too.

If the rigger's out on the job (in an armored van or trash can) then the mage can search for him using a watcher then send a spirit to chow on the rigger's meatbod. If the rigger's sitting back behind a ward then there may be more problems, but wards aren't completely unbreakable. The fact that the mage who set-up the ward will know about it merely means that you can't take the rigger out too soon.

Mages are also not completely incapable of taking-out drones. The easiest way to take drones out is probably with elemental-attack wielding spirits. Elemental attacks arent's spells so the high OR has no effect. Using an electricity attack, a force 6 air spirit has a good chance of taking-out a steel lynx for a few rounds with one attack, and probably will do if the drone is unaware of the attack (see below on concealment). Using fire or cold damage you probably have a better chance of destroying the drones. A force 5 air spirit does on-average over 5 damage to a steel lynx with a fire or cold attack (13 dice attack, 4 successes being harsh, 3 dice dodge, 1 success, 3 net = DV 8, 4 body + half of 9 armor give 8 dice to resist, 3 successes being generous, modified 5 damage), so with average rolls the steel lynx is disabled in 2 shots.

Concealment is enough to make it very unlikely that drones will be able to detect a metahuman. A force 3 spirit using concealment, combined with the fact that you're a metahuman so the drone is on -3 dice, is enough that a steel lynx is on 0 dice to detect you (all it takes is a tiny bit of stealth). If you make that a force 6 spirit then even a really perceptive rigger (perception 6) has a pool to detect you of 0.

@Shrike30: Hand-grenades have a ballistic arc though, so there may be problems if you're trying to use them in areas with low ceilings. grinbig.gif
James McMurray
The fact that a GM can balance things is no excuse for poor game design.

True, but a game expecting GMs to have a say in how their world works is not poor game design. If the group wants high powered spirits flying around everywhere they can have it. If they don't, it's easy to avoid.

It doesn't matter what the rules are, past a certain level of complexity (which SR has passed) utter balance becomes impossible. As more rules (via splatbooks) are added to a system, that fragile balance begins to fall even further to the side of the road. Thus it will always fall on a GM's shoulders to ensure that his group is challenged most of the time, overpowered some of the time, and overpowering some of the time (at least that's my preferred mix).

I personally have not seen anybody getting those rules wrong.

Scroll a few pages and open any thread that looks remotely like "magic is too powerful." smile.gif

Invisibility does go a long way, however, particularly when it's backed up by the concealment critter power and a bit of stealth.

Neither of which will get you undetected through a closed door.

PCs go around in a group and have spell defense from the mage, enemies don't nessecarily have such a luxury.

True. If you want a group of enemies to be a cakewalk for your mage, give them no defenses against magic. If you want a challenge, give them some defenses. Easy, ain't it?

This is exactly what I meant when I gave my 'shaman summons a high force spirit' example. Once the PC mage summons a big spirit, either it's fair game for the enemies to do it (making the sammy useless) or the PC mage keeps doing it and thrashing the opposition (making the sammy useless). The same goes for using mind control on the party and similar, reacting to magic with enemy magic just makes the PC mage more important and the rest of the party unnessecary.

Ummm... Yeah. That's what I said. smile.gif

A watcher spirit can warn you if you're about to go through a ward and not percieving.

True, but relying on something with a 1 logic, 1 intuition, and 0 perception skill for your astral defense is begging for trouble. You might get warned of the ward, or it might get instantly annihilated by the roving spirit on patrol. Remember, that watcher is dumber and less perceptive then a devil rat.

All of those security measures sound great... Closing doors? Who'd have thought of that? [/tongue=cheek]

I've seen quite a few people say something along the lines of "invisible levitating mages are ruining my game." Sometimes Concealment is factored in as well, sometimes not.

Once you start adding hacking and bypassing skills then you start ending-up with a hacker or covert ops rather than a sammie, which I didn't think mages were completely ready to take-over the position of just yet (maybe once the magic book comes out).

A mage can actually make a pretty good hacker if he's willing to suffer a little bit in the magic department. A sammie can branch out into any other area (except magic) and be really good at it.

Funny story (or not, depending on your sense of humor). My group once had an arena battle where everyone made characters with some pretty advanced build rules. The winner was a cybered gunman. The rest of the characters (including the supposedly powerful mage) were waffle stomped into oblivion. This was done in a group full of experienced SR minmaxers. The cyberguy in question was not built specifically to take down any other character type.

Yeah, I know that example doesn't prove any general rules. It's not meant to. It's just an anecdote on how what people think is powerful usually isn't as bad as they thought.
Lilt
I may not have seen those errors as I've only recently returned from a gap on the boards. I've only seen stuff in the games I ran a few months back where I was pretty careful with the rules.

High infiltration skills won't get you undetected through a closed door either, so I don't see why invisibility and concealment should.

It's not that easy, giving them magical defenses means having a mage. Mages have big implications in that they can often summon spirits (why not force 9 ones?) ETC. Also, is it realistic that every encounter have a mage sitting around, or perhaps just some aspected guy with counterspelling 5, with every group of enemies if you don't want it to become a cakewalk. Sooner or later, it gets unrealistic. You may be OK with those levels of unrealism in your game for the sake of balance, but not everyone is.

I didn't say relying on watchers for astral defense, i said having them tell you when you're about to walk into an astral barrier. Really, unless your DM is the sort who asks for a roll to notice a brick wall then I think it's a non-issue. If it's destroyed by a patrol then you're informed of the patrol, which is also important so that's cool.

'Sammie' may well mix with other archetypes well, I never disputed that, but the problem is that once they do that they're no longer sammies. A certain amount of combat ability is to be expecteed of any runner, so is a hacker with a smartlink really a hacker/sammie?

The problem being raised here is that sammies, people dedicating their bodies to combat advancement through cybertechnology, are out-done. The complaint is that just advancing combat ability through cybertechnology has no chance to shine, to which the suggestion of changing character concept to include hackine and other tasks isn't really an answer.

Arena? Waffle-stomped? Interesting. I'm not overly surprised though. Who survives an arena has never been a measure of who has the most powerful character, it's a measure of who is able to seem least threatening. If kill count is an issue then it's also a matter of who looks the most squishy. Mages are better in 1-on-1 or where they can pick their fights by taking advantage of astral scouting and similar, perhaps even engaging by hiding away somewhere and summoning spirits from the astral.
Toptomcat
'Waffle stomp?'
Is that a tactic or a general term?
Jaid
QUOTE (Lilt)
Riggers owning mages? Sortof, I think some people calling this are remembering holdovers from 3rd edition too.

If the rigger's out on the job (in an armored van or trash can) then the mage can search for him using a watcher then send a spirit to chow on the rigger's meatbod. If the rigger's sitting back behind a ward then there may be more problems, but wards aren't completely unbreakable. The fact that the mage who set-up the ward will know about it merely means that you can't take the rigger out too soon.

Mages are also not completely incapable of taking-out drones. The easiest way to take drones out is probably with elemental-attack wielding spirits. Elemental attacks arent's spells so the high OR has no effect. Using an electricity attack, a force 6 air spirit has a good chance of taking-out a steel lynx for a few rounds with one attack, and probably will do if the drone is unaware of the attack (see below on concealment). Using fire or cold damage you probably have a better chance of destroying the drones. A force 5 air spirit does on-average over 5 damage to a steel lynx with a fire or cold attack (13 dice attack, 4 successes being harsh, 3 dice dodge, 1 success, 3 net = DV 8, 4 body + half of 9 armor give 8 dice to resist, 3 successes being generous, modified 5 damage), so with average rolls the steel lynx is disabled in 2 shots.

Concealment is enough to make it very unlikely that drones will be able to detect a metahuman. A force 3 spirit using concealment, combined with the fact that you're a metahuman so the drone is on -3 dice, is enough that a steel lynx is on 0 dice to detect you (all it takes is a tiny bit of stealth). If you make that a force 6 spirit then even a really perceptive rigger (perception 6) has a pool to detect you of 0.

@Shrike30: Hand-grenades have a ballistic arc though, so there may be problems if you're trying to use them in areas with low ceilings. grinbig.gif

eh, well if you're talking about unimproved drones sure.

but an improved version of a drone could be throwing at least 7 dice on a perception test (potentially more if you can upgrade sensor rating), and you can have multiple drones sharing information so that they can get teamwork bonus don't forget. and considering how cheap drones are now, there may very well be a lot of drones...

and the drone swarm is at least resistant to the elemental attacks, if only because they are single target attacks =P

also, i would say that if the spirit starts doing things to draw attention to itself (like shooting flames powerful enough to destroy a steel lynx) it's probably going to give a bonus to the drones' perception check. and also remember, those drones can be packing an ares alpha relatively cheap... and if you're talking about too little room to get a good arc on the grenade, you're also looking at small enough room for the explosion to do some extra damage (and when it's starting at 13 for a regular hit... eek.gif
Nim

Concealment is enough to make it very unlikely that drones will be able to detect a metahuman. A force 3 spirit using concealment, combined with the fact that you're a metahuman so the drone is on -3 dice, is enough that a steel lynx is on 0 dice to detect you (all it takes is a tiny bit of stealth).

Technically, Concealment doesn't affect drones that are acting autonomously: it gives a penalty to Perception tests. Drones don't make Perception tests, they make Sensor tests (Sensors + Clearsight).

The -3 penalty for a drone to notice a metahuman is fairly silly in a setting where drones are frequently used for perimeter security. Expect Arsenal to include a drone upgrade ("Mitsuhama Bioform Recognition Protocol, Mk II") that removes that penalty. Given that the justification for it is that drones' sensors are programmed to look for vehicles, not people, expanding that programming with additional target profiles is an obvious add-on.

If the rigger's out on the job (in an armored van or trash can) then the mage can search for him using a watcher then send a spirit to chow on the rigger's meatbod. If the rigger's sitting back behind a ward then there may be more problems, but wards aren't completely unbreakable.

Nope, sorry: "Search: {...} The critter must have seen what it is searching for before; spirits may search out anything that their summoner provides them with a mental image of." (SR4 p.290) Unless the mage happens to know what the rigger looks like, Search is utterly useless. And if the mage DOES somehow have a clear mental image of the rigger, the Search will STILL take a minimum of 10 minutes. That's 200 combat turns. This isn't sounding like a practical tactic if there's already a drone shooting at you.
James McMurray
Also, is it realistic that every encounter have a mage sitting around, or perhaps just some aspected guy with counterspelling 5, with every group of enemies if you don't want it to become a cakewalk. Sooner or later, it gets unrealistic. You may be OK with those levels of unrealism in your game for the sake of balance, but not everyone is.

Magical defenses doesn't necessary mean a mage on gaurd. A single mage can bind several spirits and erect several wards, then wait around on call. If a spirit alerts him or a ward gets penetrated he knows immediately and can either jaunt there near instantaneously and be astral, or send some spirits ahead while he gets there by more mundane means (including a spirit's movement power to get him there really fast.

Also, having magical defenses on almost every run is not unrealistic. Supposedly spellcasters are rare. That means that a group with a spellcasters will be more likely to take jobs that require a spellcaster. If the job doesn't need a mage, why are you paying to hire one?

I didn't say relying on watchers for astral defense, i said having them tell you when you're about to walk into an astral barrier. Really, unless your DM is the sort who asks for a roll to notice a brick wall then I think it's a non-issue. If it's destroyed by a patrol then you're informed of the patrol, which is also important so that's cool.

My statement was that people tend to forget to start their own astral scouting once they're inside the wards. You said to have a watcher. I assumed you meant have a watcher to replace their astral scouting, since otherwise (I assumed) you would have said they should continue their astral viewing. Sorry for the confusion.

A certain amount of combat ability is to be expecteed of any runner, so is a hacker with a smartlink really a hacker/sammie?

No. I never said he was. A hacker with high gun and melee skills, a smartlink, platelet factories, and good armor / body is a hacker/sammie. I'm probably missing a few things for him to have, but this isn't intended as a hacker/sammie build guide, merely an example that they can exist.

The complaint is that just advancing combat ability through cybertechnology has no chance to shine, to which the suggestion of changing character concept to include hackine and other tasks isn't really an answer.

I didn't say to change character concepts. One issue raised was how versatile mages can be. One response to that was that other characters can be versatile as well. If you don't want to be, that's cool. Not every character should be a jack of all trades, or even a jack of two trades.

Who survives an arena has never been a measure of who has the most powerful character, it's a measure of who is able to seem least threatening. If kill count is an issue then it's also a matter of who looks the most squishy. Mages are better in 1-on-1 or where they can pick their fights by taking advantage of astral scouting and similar, perhaps even engaging by hiding away somewhere and summoning spirits from the astral.

I'm glad you know how our arenas go. smile.gif

Trust me, nobody was ignored because they seemed less threatening, and nobody ignored their characters' abilties (like astral scouting, hiding, or spirit summoning). Interestingly enough one character was pretty much undetectable by all senses but was killed thanks to a closed door. smile.gif

If the rigger's out on the job (in an armored van or trash can) then the mage can search for him using a watcher then send a spirit to chow on the rigger's meatbod.

Jaid made some good points. I'll just add that a rigger can increase the signal ratings on his drones or daisy chain them. He could theoretically be a city away while his drones do their job. That's a bit excessive, but several kilometers isn't.

Check a watcher's stats. They are almost incapable of actually finding someone. A regular spirit might, but assuming one kilometer distance and force 10 he's rolling 20 dice needing 5 successes. He'll probably make it, but it'll take 10 minutes, which is much longer than any combat is going to last. If there's more distance and/or a ward involved it could take even longer.

Finally, the searcher has to either have seen the target before or been given a clear mental image by the summoner. How on earth does your mage do that? Even if there are only 15 riggers in the entire world and he knows them all by sight he'd have to pick one and hope to be right. smile.gif
Nim
QUOTE (Lilt)
Mages are better in 1-on-1 or where they can pick their fights by taking advantage of astral scouting and similar, perhaps even engaging by hiding away somewhere and summoning spirits from the astral.

Mages are better when they get to attack an unaware target from a position of strength, having chosen the ground and take the opportunity to engage from a distance?

Well, gee. Who isn't? Given the same opportunity, a street sam could put a bullet through the mage's head from a half-klick away.
James McMurray
I'd also like to revisit the idea that there's no such thing as perfect balance in a complex system. Currently the mage is seemingly on top of the heap in several different aspects. However, if you attempt to balance them without being Ugulu, Great God of Games all you'll do is bump someone else to the top of the heap (probably sammies or riggers if it's a combat-centric game).

The only way to have actual balance in a complex system is to have a group of people dedicated to that balance and willing to police itself.
Lilt
@Jaid: An upgraded drone can roll one more die by default? Nice, I guess I'll have to advise using a force 4 spirit.

Using teamwork, a bunch of drones working together, each rolling 0 dice with each success adding to the leader's pool, is going to result in a total pool of 0 dice for the primary drone. GO TEAMWORK!

My point about not having an arc for grenades was intended as separate, but if the drones are happy to lob grenades around then a spirit would happily sit on one of the drones.

A force 5 air spirit rolls 8 dice to dodge. A steel lynx rolls 6 dice to hit, and they need 5 successes to do enough damage to get past immunity (with an AR or LMG). If they use a narrow burst then they'll probably miss, if they use a wide burst then they still need lots of successes to get past the immunity.

@Nim: The sensor test is a perception test by default, perception is just subbed for pilot rating (the stat which always subs for attributes) in the case of drones. The fact that drones have been poor at deteting metahumans has been around since previous editions, so I don't see why they'd magically fix it now (they had signature 6 in 3rd edition, and IIRC that fact was added in a supplement).

The remenants of the rigger's aura are bound to be on the drones. It may require somethign better than a watcher, but most spirits have assensing so sending them out searching with an image of the rigger's aura should suffice. Still, if the rigger can be hidden undetectably in a trash can then I don't see why the mage can't be, and spirits probably have less troubble checking inside trash cans (fly through them) than drones (no current drones have arms). Of-course the drones could just blow-up every trash can around, but that's likely to prove unpopular with lone-star.

Of-course using the search power may not be feasable given time constraints, but it's not nessecary for the mage to kill the drones.

As for attacking from a position of strength ETC, the fact that mages have abilities which allow them to do this rather easily can't be ignored. The sammie may be able to put a bullet through the mage's head from half a click away, but the mage can sit in the astral with his meat bod on the other side of the world and summon spirits to kill the sammie.

@James McMurray: It's true that mages can protect multiple assets, but we were talking about mooks having spell defense against mind control. That's not possible without a mage present.

Runs requiring a mage are rare enough that people are paying for the fact that a mage is on the team? Woot, now the mage is asking for his own premium and getting more money than the rest of the team. Otherwise, they just logically take the normal runs which are cake-walks for the mage.

Perhaps that level of modification does make a hacker/sammie, but it's still not a sammie. Lets say the new guy has asked to play a sammie and you give him a character who can hack into fort knox. He'd complain that it wasn't what he asked for, yes? Thus it's not a sammie. As an aside, with improved ability for 0.25/rank on technical skills I wouldn't be surprised if sammie/hackers they were out-shone by adept/hackers. Hackers only really need a 0.2 essence datajack in terms of cyberware, so it's not completely incompatible with being an adept.

Changing character concepts is essentially what's happening if you're adding hacking skills. I cite my 'new guy asks for a character' example above. Sure, you can explain to him that pure sammies are weak, but the fact remains that if you give him what he asks for (a sammie) then his character can expect to be out-shone by the adept and other characters.

I didn't say you needed to be ignored in an arena, you only need to seem less of a threat than others. You just need to be shot at second rather than first.

The rigger is a city away? The mage can just as easily operate from a city away, thus the drones and spirits have a battle-royale and both sides are safely tucked-away in neighbouring cities.

If the mage tries the assensing trick to find the rigger's aura, then a search for that aura on drones other than those fighting will probably reveal the nearest drone in the daisy-chain to also have his aura. From there the mage can just destroy a daisy-chain drone or try and search further back up the line to find the rigger's meatbod. The rigger doesn't have any similar way to find the magician's meatbod, however.

Well, to argue that balance is impossible is a bit premature. I don't think they've even tried balancing it. What mages are able to do is dictated more by the shadowrun background than balance. The problem is that it can be perfectly balanced until you look at the full range of abilities open to the mage. Astral perception/projection/assensing/spirits ETC. Mages get so much of that for only 15BP that it's almost unbelieveable, but if it were more expencive then mages who don't know to use the full array of abilities would be out of pocket. IE: I think it is fairly balanced, but only if the mage doesn't know what they're doing.
James McMurray
The remenants of the rigger's aura are bound to be on the drones.

Huh? MAges leave astral signatures. Nobody else does.

It's true that mages can protect multiple assets, but we were talking about mooks having spell defense against mind control. That's not possible without a mage present.

Which is why I said if you want the opposition to be a cakewalk, don't give them magical backup. If you don't want it, then do.

Runs requiring a mage are rare enough that people are paying for the fact that a mage is on the team? Woot, now the mage is asking for his own premium and getting more money than the rest of the team. Otherwise, they just logically take the normal runs which are cake-walks for the mage.

If you want what is to me an unrealistic world, that's cool.

concepts is essentially what's happening if you're adding hacking skills.

What part about "I'm not saying you have to change character concepts" don't you understand? I said it's an option, not a necessity.

The mage can just as easily operate from a city away

The spirits can't find someone from a city away. The rigger can.

If the mage tries the assensing trick to find the rigger's aura, then a search for that aura on drones other than those fighting will probably reveal the nearest drone in the daisy-chain to also have his aura.

Again with "huh?"

Mages get so much of that for only 15BP that it's almost unbelieveable,

It's only 15 BP if you don't up your Magic Attribute or buy any skills. A 15BP mage isn't a mage, he's a mundane that is magical but can't do any magic.

Well, to argue that balance is impossible is a bit premature.

You are of course free to disagree. It's practically impossible to prove a negative of this sort, so it's all down to opinion. But I'll go with my experiences in many different game systems, all of which had balance issues (some bigger than others).
Nim
QUOTE (Lilt @ Jun 23 2006, 07:17 AM)
The fact that drones have been poor at deteting metahumans has been around since previous editions, so I don't see why they'd magically fix it now (they had signature 6 in 3rd edition, and IIRC that fact was added in a supplement).

Still, if the rigger can be hidden undetectably in a trash can then I don't see why the mage can't be, and spirits probably have less troubble checking inside trash cans (fly through them) than drones (no current drones have arms). Of-course the drones could just blow-up every trash can around, but that's likely to prove unpopular with lone-star.

Well, you can't have it both ways. If the drone is making a sensor test against the target's signature, then it doesn't matter that the mage is hiding inside a trashcan. Signature is not primarily visual. On the other hand, if the drone is using a camera and image recognition (and thus would be foiled by a trash can), then the -3 penalty from having a low signature clearly makes no sense.

The remenants of the rigger's aura are bound to be on the drones. It may require somethign better than a watcher, but most spirits have assensing so sending them out searching with an image of the rigger's aura should suffice. 

Can you give me a quote from the book that supports the idea that a mage could do this? You're not talking about Search, you're talking about Astral Tracking. And I would be very surprised if you found any support for astrally tracking a character who is incapable of being astrally active.
ShadowDragon8685
I think the soloution to this problem is obvious.

Forgoe availability restrictions on equipment and give a "Sammie" multiplier on nuyen of about 5x for people who make dedicated Street Samurai.

Sure, the mage is summoning Force 9 spirits, but the sammie is crammed to 0.01 Essense full of deltaware and is using military hardware. "Balance" restored. nyahnyah.gif
Nim
I agree with James that no system is perfectly balanced, and for any complex system, a lot of the balance comes from how the game is run, not just how the rules are written.

Now, that said, I think it's fair to say that some systems have more balance 'cooked in' than others do. And well-considered rules make the GM's job of maintaining balance much easier Sometimes, it's worth changing rules to accomplish this...

Though I disagree with Lilt's argument that SR4 mages totally overpower / render irrelevant gun-bunny characters, I do think there are some problems. Specifically, I'm not happy with how easy it now is to summon high-Force spirits. In canon up to this point (at least, in all of the games I've played in, and in the novels I've read) summoning a powerful spirit was always something done with a certain reluctance and only when the situation was fairly desperate, because it was a dangerous undertaking. The new mechanics don't bear that out. You can look at that as bad game balance, or just as rules not doing a good job of modeling the setting. Either way, I think there is room for improvement there smile.gif

James McMurray
My biggest gripe (most of the time) with the new way magic is handled is that magical healing can now fix physical drain. In many ways that makes casting and summoning at higher than your magic rating smarter than casting at lower. In other words, if you have magic 6 and cast fireball 6 you'll take stun damage, which you're stuck with unless you rest. If you instead cast fireball 7 you'll do a little more damage, take physical damage, and be able to heal the damage afterwards. In previous editions overcasting was dangerous, now it's common practice.
Lilt
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Huh? Mages leave astral signatures. Nobody else does.
Read P182 under assensing:
Non-magical and non-living objects have
only gray, lackluster shadows rather than auras, but pick up impressions
from being in contact with living auras.
Assensing can
read any impressions left behind on an object.
It's true that mages can protect multiple assets, but we were talking about mooks having spell defense against mind control. That's not possible without a mage present.
Which is why I said if you want the opposition to be a cakewalk, don't give them magical backup. If you don't want it, then do.
The whole point is that it's not possible to stop it from being a cake-walk without having mages everywhere providing spell defense. Having mages everywhere providing spell defense is unrealistic.
If you want what is to me an unrealistic world, that's cool.
You're the one who said that the groups were taking jobs that were paid to have a mage on them. That logically means that having a mage on the team means they're worth more money than another 4-5 man team. If you're going to use an excuse like that for there always meing a mage on teh opposition then be prepared to defend it. Perhaps my players are more cunning than yours, but if I used an excuse like that then they'd be all over me.
concepts is essentially what's happening if you're adding hacking skills.
What part about "I'm not saying you have to change character concepts" don't you understand? I said it's an option, not a necessity.
And I'm saying that it's not an option if people want pure sammies, which should be completely valid character types and are what this thread is about in the first place.
The mage can just as easily operate from a city away
The spirits can't find someone from a city away. The rigger can.
No, the spirits can find someone from a city away if they have a sample of their aura, which can probably be found on the drones.

The spirits just need to search for the drones with traces of the rigger's aura on them, which can't be far enough apart to avoid being found with the search power (given time). Lets say the drone has a signal rating 5 (fairly high) and is at maximum range, so 4km away from the main fight. That gives a threshold of 14, which a force 6 spirit will probably achieve after 3.5 intervals (35 minutes). The spirit can also go for the rigger directly with an image of his aura. If we're to say that the rigger was 100km away, then it'd take a force 6 spirit about 4 and a half hours to find him.

Meanwhile, the shaman leaves no physical way to locate him and track him from one town to the next. How does the rigger hope to track him?
If the mage tries the assensing trick to find the rigger's aura, then a search for that aura on drones other than those fighting will probably reveal the nearest drone in the daisy-chain to also have his aura.
Again with "huh?"
Assensing and aura identifying are just another one of the tools available to mages.
Mages get so much of that for only 15BP that it's almost unbelieveable,
It's only 15 BP if you don't up your Magic Attribute or buy any skills. A 15BP mage isn't a mage, he's a mundane that is magical but can't do any magic.
No, he can astrally percieve (-2 for distraction but it's better than many other vision modes), astrally project for invisible scouting, and read auras (potentially very useful as shown above). That is a lot for 15BP, and it opens-up avenues to get so much more via conjuring and sorcery.
Well, to argue that balance is impossible is a bit premature.
You are of course free to disagree. It's practically impossible to prove a negative of this sort, so it's all down to opinion. But I'll go with my experiences in many different game systems, all of which had balance issues (some bigger than others).
Well I can't exactly defend it too much either. I can, however, pose the question of what would happen if they diverged too much from what is established in books ETC. If the possible answer is an outcry, then it's completely understandable that they were designing with a view to maintaining the established rather than balance.

Other points: I've still not seen anyone allow using healing spells to heal physical drain.

@Nim: Drones have electromagnetic footprints (they've got radar ETC functioning on them) and harder radar signatures (squishy flesh rather than hard metal and plastic). It's noteable that humans have the same signature modification as electronic vehicles, so that'd suggest that the harsh heat emissions of non-electronic vehicles are assumed to be the default.
Nim
QUOTE (Lilt)

@Nim: Drones have electromagnetic footprints (they've got radar ETC functioning on them) and harder radar signatures (squishy flesh rather than hard metal and plastic). It's noteable that humans have the same signature modification as electronic vehicles, so that'd suggest that the harsh heat emissions of non-electronic vehicles are assumed to be the default.

Yeah, I was thinking about this some more this morning.

If we assume that drone sensors are things like radar, detection of EM emissions, etc, then giving metahumans a low signature is perfectly reasonable. It /is/ a hell of a lot harder to pick up a human on radar than, say, a car. It's a logical distinction to make.

But it's entirely possible to design a sensor suite specifically to detect humans. It's a topic of current-day research, in fact, in the form of robots designed to locate victims in Urban Search and Rescue missions...collapsed buildings in an earthquake zone, etc. Some of those have already been deployed in real-world disasters. (Here's someone's research paper on the subject, just for the curious, as one example)

Even setting that aside, what about cameras? A character watching through a surveilance camera makes a standard Perception test to notice someone moving through the field of view, no penalty. A rigger piloting a drone (which presumably has cameras as part of its extensive sensor suite) loses 3 dice to do the same thing. This is silly.

Haven't decided yet what the best house-rule / optional drone upgrade would be to address that, however.

On the Concealment versus drone sensors issue, I originally threw that out there just for amusement value. Having thought about it a bit longer though, I'm not sure it doesn't make sense. There's a big table of penalties for Perception tests...visibility modifiers, etc etc. Using drone sensors as they currently exist, those modifiers don't apply. The drone's radar doesn't care how dark or foggy it is. One could reasonably argue that the penalty from Concealment falls into the same category - Perception modifiers, not Sensor modifiers.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Assensing can

You can detect astral signatures on objects, threshold of 3+.
Astral signatures are created by spells or magical effects.
Determining what caused effect caused the astral signature threshold 5+.
Assensing any emotional impression is threshold 5+.

Unless the rigger is awakened or plays cuddly with their anthropomorphic (or not) drone before sending it out, I fail to see this as a very feasible approach to locating the rigger directly.
Lilt
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 23 2006, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Assensing can

Unless the rigger is awakened or plays cuddly with their anthropomorphic (or not) drone before sending it out, I fail to see this as a very feasible approach to locating the rigger directly.

I'm not talking about astral signatures or emotional impressions, I'm talking about identifying auras (threshold 2).

If the rigger uses the drone much (services it, repairs it, or possibly even made it) then I find them leaving their aura on the drones to be quite likely.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 23 2006, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Assensing can

I'm not talking about astral signatures or emotional impressions, I'm talking about identifying auras (threshold 2).

If the rigger uses the drone much (services it, repairs it, or possibly even made it) then I find them leaving their aura on the drones to be quite likely.

GM interpretation to me until the magic source book is out.
Apathy
Just to clarify: I was not trying to turn this into another one of those mages vs samurais threads. Those have been done to death many times before. I was actually looking for suggestions:
  • How do I make scenarios where the sams shine?
  • How do I make life more challenging for the mages without making life harder for everyone else? (In the past this could easily be handled through background count, but there are no rules for this any more.)
  • Does anyone think the regenerating rules make it too easy for mages to kill to the tiger shifter, while being scary hard for everybody else?
  • Does anyone think the immunity rules make it too (comparitively speaking) easy for mages to kill the high force spirit, while being scary hard for everybody else?
  • Does anybody have suggested modifications to make it harder (though not impossible) for mages to summon those really high-force spirits? (This might eliminate the need to address the previous question.)
Shinobi Killfist
admitedly my experince in SR4 is small so far, but I haven't had any issues with mage balance yet. I'm mean sure they are powerful, but so are grenades. And yeah sure spirits are powerful, but maybe I just run in a different way, but about the only people who seem to have spirits out doing the fighting while the summoner is in no threat land is the sec mages.

The team mage is with the team in the thick of things, so yeah that spirit of his is scary, but so far the opposition ignores it as much as possible and redoubles there efforts to drop the summoner, which usually gets rid of the spirit.

Now concealment I can kind of see as a problem since it is so much better than the stealth skill, I really don't have an issue yet with it but it you do. I'm make concealment a test dice equal to the spirits force and each hit removes 1 die from a perception test.

Also if you have an issue with real high force stuff make a house rule that you can throw spells and summon spirits to magix x 1.5 not x2. Which is where every other max attribute/skill works out to. Or for spirits I'd be willing to say they always use edge to resists summonin unless the summoner has spirit affinity.
Shadowmeet
Has anyone considered adding in mundane spirit hunting/ghost hunting tricks to be effective against spirits?

For instance, shotgun shells with rock salt?(You need to have the armorer skill for reloading, or to buy it from a talismonger) Charms to cushion damage? Charms and fetishes to attach to melee weapons?

In addition, do some research on exorcist activities from Ancient religions, and even modern ones, can give you some ideas. Put a few mechanics in, and you have weapons mundanes can use against spirits. Just make the weapons less effective than Weapon Foci and Spells, so the mages still have their starlight shine.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Apathy)
Just to clarify: I was not trying to turn this into another one of those mages vs samurais threads. Those have been done to death many times before. I was actually looking for suggestions:
  • How do I make life more challenging for the mages without making life harder for everyone else? (In the past this could easily be handled through background count, but there are no rules for this any more.)
  • Does anyone think the regenerating rules make it too easy for mages to kill to the tiger shifter, while being scary hard for everybody else?
  • Does anyone think the immunity rules make it too (comparitively speaking) easy for mages to kill the high force spirit, while being scary hard for everybody else?
  • Does anybody have suggested modifications to make it harder (though not impossible) for mages to summon those really high-force spirits? (This might eliminate the need to address the previous question.)

Principles to keep in mind here:

• Samurai are far better at damaging mechanical constructs
  • Intimidation Situations, rarely does the mage look as intimidating as the Sam

• Mages cannot affect what they cannot see
  • Astral Barriers do nothing to Sams

I think that it places a new premium on actually having some heavy fire support, sure stealth is the order of the day but being able to pull out the big guns is now an ability not to be overlooked.

I wouldn't modify it at all, just perhaps change the way spirits respond to being summoned. High Force Spirits have edge, lots of it in fact, and they don't like to be summoned they can use it to resist the summoning contest. If the spirit throws edge dice in to it summongin contest pool not may mages are going to sucessfully conjure a force 8 spirit when the contest changes from Magic + Conjuring vs. Force to Magic + Conjuring vs. 2 x Force + reroll the sixes. Pick a spirit force level where you think it's appropriate for them to start strongly resisting summoning.
Lilt
@X-Kalibur: Actually, an exact interpretation would say that anybody who touches the drone leaves their aura on it. That aura can then be read with assensing.

Sure, you can lend your drones to a drone petting zoo but I find it relatively unlikely that a drone will have many signatures on it other than its current owner. if there are a bunch of auras on the drones, you can look at all of them and see which ones are commonly shared.

@Apathy: The sammie isn't going to shine by virtue of being a sammie. He can shine by virtue of being that extra man there, who's able to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Sure, have it involve blowing the heads off some guards.

This isn't a strictly mage versus sammie problem, but if you do want to make things more difficult for the mage then have a street gang who tend to have developed the magic resistance quality or something.

@Shinobi Killfist: Completely valid points about going for the summoner of the spirit. Although not all security forces will have the conviction to go for an invisible enemy when somethign with a good attack skill is sending 5P blasts reduced by half armor at them, that's probably their best bet.

I don't quite agree with taking the nerf bat to concealment, however. What you're suggesting is effectiely making it 1/3rd as effective. Concealment is usually fine, equivalent to a boost to the character's infiltration skill equal to the spirit's force, and in-keeping with the power possible from other service options. It only becomes a big deal when you're dealing with enemies with low dice pools.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
Has anyone considered adding in mundane spirit hunting/ghost hunting tricks to be effective against spirits?

For instance, shotgun shells with rock salt?(You need to have the armorer skill for reloading, or to buy it from a talismonger) Charms to cushion damage? Charms and fetishes to attach to melee weapons?

In addition, do some research on exorcist activities from Ancient religions, and even modern ones, can give you some ideas. Put a few mechanics in, and you have weapons mundanes can use against spirits. Just make the weapons less effective than Weapon Foci and Spells, so the mages still have their starlight shine.

I like that. Spirits don't seem to have any real weaknesses (Banishing, while unique to spirits, can be very ineffectual). Giving mundanes a fighting chance makes sense too. Spirits have been around for a while and, as is demonstrated every time our mages summons F6,F7,F8, etc., they should be able to do what ever they want with their power. It seems as if they should do more than keep Atzlan out of the Yucatan and keep the PCC out of the Mojave. Spirits have the power to waltz into enemy territory and tell them what's what.

Giving mundanes "exorcism" tools sound like it needs to be looked into
Shrike30
If you're going to say that a drone Sensors test is the equivalent of a Perception test (and so affected by things like Conceal appropriately), then things like the Enhanced Vision mod (bonus dice for Perception checks) should be applicable. Networks of drones should be providing teamwork bonuses, or having each drone getting it's own Sensors test.

I am not inclined to say that Perception and Sensor are the same test, if modifiers like "is metahuman" exist.

Is Concealment a Mana or Physical power?
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Jun 23 2006, 12:30 PM)

I like that. Spirits don't seem to have any real weaknesses (Banishing, while unique to spirits, can be very ineffectual). Giving mundanes a fighting chance makes sense too. Spirits have been around for a while and, as is demonstrated every time our mages summons F6,F7,F8, etc., they should be able to do what ever they want with their power. It seems as if they should do more than keep Atzlan out of the Yucatan and keep the PCC out of the Mojave. Spirits have the power to waltz into enemy territory and tell them what's what.

Giving mundanes "exorcism" tools sound like it needs to be looked into

I suppose you could say that Salt barriers act as weak wards. Salt might damage them. Smudgring(Burning sage, etc) could give spirits negatives to a dice pool due to being uncomfortable in an area.

And each of these things would be able to be done by mundanes, but not as well as solutions by awakened. In addition, they each have problems of their own that need investment, trust, etc.

For example:

"Yeah, I got this charm from Old Louie down on 57th. He swears if I wear it, I can hit any spirit that gets near me."

"Chummer, Old Louie has been selling those to every tourist that passes his way. Trust me. Try Chi-Chi. She knows her stuff, but there's a price."

Or

"Look, a spirit is on to us. I'll just smudge the area. He won't see us then."

"No, but when the fire alarm goes off, or security smells the smoke, we're fragged either way."
Nim
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)

I suppose you could say that Salt barriers act as weak wards. Salt might damage them. Smudgring(Burning sage, etc) could give spirits negatives to a dice pool due to being uncomfortable in an area.

And each of these things would be able to be done by mundanes, but not as well as solutions by awakened. In addition, they each have problems of their own that need investment, trust, etc.

For example:

"Yeah, I got this charm from Old Louie down on 57th. He swears if I wear it, I can hit any spirit that gets near me."

"Chummer, Old Louie has been selling those to every tourist that passes his way. Trust me. Try Chi-Chi. She knows her stuff, but there's a price."

Or

"No, but when the fire alarm goes off, or security smells the smoke, we're fragged either way."

I'm not sure exactly how I'd implement it, but I like the IDEA behind it a lot. Definitely adds flavor.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Nim @ Jun 23 2006, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Jun 23 2006, 02:07 PM)

For example:

Or

I'm not sure exactly how I'd implement it, but I like the IDEA behind it a lot. Definitely adds flavor.

Lets just throw out a few things.

Smudging is a cleansing activity
Smudging provides a -2 dice pool modifier for everything that a spirit does while in the vicinity. However, it must be continually burned. The smoke dissapates and no longer bothers a spirit one turn after it stops burning.

Salt Shotgun shells -2DV, turns it Stun, +4AP, but penetrates a spirits immunity against weapons.

Those are random numbers, but ideas on how.

Edit: AP
Nim
I think you mean +4 AP, probably?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Lilt)

Auras and Astral Signatures are two different things that can be perceived astrally.

Auras do not transfer. They are the fundamental astral view of an entity of an object when viewed astrally.

Astral signatures do transfer, since they are created by an awakened magical affect such as casting a spell or creating a ward.

You can track people by astral signatures they leave by doing things magically.

I am not sure how a non awakened rigger would create an astral signature that would apply to a drone.

I do agree if you've seen the drone before astrally and recognize it's aura when you see it again, but this is not much then different if a mundane with Electronic Warfare recognizes the drone from it's emission signature, or someone seeing the same drone again might recognize it.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Lilt)
[QUOTE]Non-magical and non-living objects have
Assensing can
read any impressions left behind on an object.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. Objects pick up impressions. Nowhere does it say they pick up duplicates of the toucher's aura. And of course, even if they did:

Mage: Joe Spirit! Go find this aura!
{several hours later}
Joe spirit: Boss! I found 3 vibrators and 16 empty beer cans in a Joyhouse. I found 4 steroes in an electronics store.

And those were just the things he touched that day with enough emotions to leave an impression. If your assertion that the impressions last forever is true, the spirit will never return, as he'll be tracing objects from throughout the rigger's life.

I do agree if you've seen the drone before astrally and recognize it's aura when you see it again,

Nope, you can recognize auras. Objects have "gray, lackluster shadows rather than auras."
ShadowDragon8685
Three vibrators?! Please tell me this hypothetical rigger is a lesbian. Otherwise, I don't think I want to know.

In fact, I am quite sure I don't want to know.
James McMurray
What? A guy can't pleasure his joygirls? Sexist pig!
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Lilt)
from being in contact with living auras. Assensing can

You're absolutely right. Objects pick up impressions. Nowhere does it say they pick up duplicates of the toucher's aura. And of course, even if they did:

Mage: Joe Spirit! Go find this aura!
{several hours later}
Joe spirit: Boss! I found 3 vibrators and 16 empty beer cans in a Joyhouse. I found 4 steroes in an electronics store.

Of course, you could always rule that the impression is made due to close, long term contact. So, a rigger who services his own drones, and looks at them like children would leave a major impression. However, if someone else in the team lovingly slaved over repairing it, or it went to a mechanic, it might get someone else. Or, if the rigger thought of his drones like a Street Sam thinks of his bullets, you'd be out of luck.

Also, from the text, I gather impressions would not allow you to identify the aura that touched it, so much as the emotions that surround it. Otherwise Lone star would catch any Street Sam who dropped his gun after a fire fight.
Lilt
QUOTE (Shrike30)
If you're going to say that a drone Sensors test is the equivalent of a Perception test (and so affected by things like Conceal appropriately), then things like the Enhanced Vision mod (bonus dice for Perception checks) should be applicable.  Networks of drones should be providing teamwork bonuses, or having each drone getting it's own Sensors test.

I am not inclined to say that Perception and Sensor are the same test, if modifiers like "is metahuman" exist.

Is Concealment a Mana or Physical power?

It seems that there are two different forms of teamwork in 4th edition, there's one under perception and there's one defined with the test types:
When an entire group of characters has a chance to notice something, the gamemaster can simplify matters by making a single Perception Test for the entire team, using the largest dice pool available + 1 per extra character (maximum +5). Such group Perception Tests should not be made when surprise is possible (see Surprise, p. 155).
Teamwork Tests
Sometimes characters may choose to work together on a
task, whether they are holding the door against a rampaging
paracritter or fixing a car. To determine success, pick one character
as the primary acting character. Each of the secondary
characters makes the appropriate test; each hit they score adds
+1 die the primary character’s dice pool. The primary character
than makes the test, and her results determine success.
If any of the assisting characters roll a critical glitch, raise
the threshold for the test by 1 (3 for Extended Tests).
I would suggest that #1 is not applicable for a number of reasons:
  1. Surprise is possible
  2. With 0 dice each, the entire group of characters does not have a chance of spotting it
  3. That system is supposed to simplify things, not make things possible which were not before
If anyone cares about how it worked in 3rd edition, concealment worked on sensor tests just as it did on normal perception tests. I was probably guilty of calling it as a holdover when I first mentioned it, but I don't see why it shouldn't be applicable. A rigger piloting a drone actually rolls Perception, concealment is applied to any perception test, ergo it is applied. Saying it would apply to the rolls when a rigger makes it and not when a drone pilot makes it, as a physical power, is just a bit stupid.
James McMurray
Otherwise Lone star would catch any Street Sam who dropped his gun after a fire fight.

He doesn't even have to drop his gun, assuming he loaded his own ammo.

Saying it would apply to the rolls when a rigger makes it and not when a drone pilot makes it, as a physical power, is just a bit stupid.

Whether it's stupid or not is debatable. Whether the RAW says concealment applies or not isn't. Without a house rule concealment does not apply to sensor tests.

Out of curiosity, why are you complaining about the power of mages and then going out of your way to misinterpret rules in their favor? Assensing can't track touched objects. Concealment doesn't affect anything but perception tests. These are the rules. Changing them to favor mages is IMO silly.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Otherwise Lone star would catch any Street Sam who dropped his gun after a fire fight.

He doesn't even have to drop his gun, assuming he loaded his own ammo.

Saying it would apply to the rolls when a rigger makes it and not when a drone pilot makes it, as a physical power, is just a bit stupid.

Whether it's stupid or not is debatable. Whether the RAW says concealment applies or not isn't. Without a house rule concealment does not apply to sensor tests.

Out of curiosity, why are you complaining about the power of mages and then going out of your way to misinterpret rules in their favor? Assensing can't track touched objects. Concealment doesn't affect anything but perception tests. These are the rules. Changing them to favor mages is IMO silly.

Although, I can say, I do like the idea of mages reading Aura impressions left on objects for some things.

"The knife is cold. There was no rage in the murder. It was planned."

or

"She dropped this on her way out"

"I'm getting a sense of love. I think she went willingly"
Nim
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)

Although, I can say, I do like the idea of mages reading Aura impressions left on objects for some things.

"The knife is cold. There was no rage in the murder. It was planned."

or

"She dropped this on her way out"

"I'm getting a sense of love. I think she went willingly"

Absolutely. It's the staple of a magically-active investigator-type. IIRC, 'Psychometry' is even a valid Assensing specialization.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012