Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kingmaker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
JackRipper
Through the various sources in your grapevine, with its eyes and ears on the streets, the hint of job has surfaced. Your names, the ones that you use on the streets, the only ones that really matter have been placed in the hat. With a few right words in the right ears and the shuffling of some Yen into the right palms you've managed to work yourselves into the meet.

Will this run make your fortunes, your reputation, or your end?

Where upon gold and glory make kings of us all .....KINGMAKER
JackRipper
At first you thought the address must be wrong. The bohemian environment of the Capitol Hill area is far from where you expected to do shadow business. There is an odd sense of tranquility along the well paved roads, restored but historic buildings, and the many small shops that you pass. It strikes you funny how the serenity can unnerve you, but it does with shivers of anticipation up your spine. The ARO materializes into view showing you that the address is close, and breaks your contemplation. As you stand on the clean sidewalk outside the address, the name offers you a moment of respite, Café Noir.The outside is much like the multitude of other coffee shops you passed on the way here, having a few tables set up inside a small gated off section from the sidewalk. There are no tables empty at the moment, the customers range from slick corporates to the trendy young.

As you enter inside, the darkness blinds you momentary before your eyes adjust. In the dim light you begin to make out various forms of metahumanity huddled around small tables involved in quiet activities such as drinking coffee, smoking or leaned into another in quiet conversation. A large form emerges from the shadows of the back, approaching he tells you that you’re expected in the backroom. The seated patrons give quick glances or avoid glancing as you make your way further into the café. The hallway that you approach is dark but illuminated slightly by two public data terms, and the slivers of light escaping underneath the bathroom doors. Walking past the bathrooms and public data terms further still you pass a door marked “Electrical”, a few meters more ahead of you a sturdy door opens.

The nicely dressed Ork with manicured looks stands there eyeing you as you approach. He backs away from the door as you enter the darkened room with a single hanging light over a large table. In the better light that falls upon the Ork, you can make out that his appearance marks him as High-rent muscle. The grey pin stripe slacks are matched by a similar vest over a clean shirt and tie. The shoulder holster stands out prominently against the neutral color of the suit. With an almost unnoticeable accent he tells you that it’ll be just a moment, at which time he walks to the back of the room and knocks on a door. The Ork returns to the table edge opposite of you as you hear the scrape of the door and then footsteps approaching.

The Dwarf is about as round as he is tall yet nicely dressed. Sitting at the table he waves his chubby ring covered fingers for you to do the same. You can see the sweat glistening on his balding head as he leans in closer to the middle of the table. “I need to acquire your exclusive services for the next 30 days; I’ll pay 500 a day with 2 weeks up front.”

[See OOC thread]
Shadow
Name: Sahara - Archtype: Detective
16:55:05 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive Model: NT Airwave OS: NT Navi ACC: Oakley Yellow Shooting Glasses

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the place. The rich aroma of coffee mingled with the stench of cigar and cigarette smoke. Why oh why do people mix the two. It hadn’t even been a week since I was out of the slam and here I was, about to break the law. Funny, most people went to jail because they were criminals, I went to jail trying to stop them.

I ignored the looks I got, hell I always got looks, some were more inviting than others. Curly blond hair and mocha color skin seemed to attract all kinds. Most of the creeps in this Café though were pretty low on my desire list. Not that I had a desire list. The only company I had for the last 6 months was Bertha the shower troll.

C’mon Sahara, get it together, you’ve walked into a million places like this. True, I told myself, I had. But then I usually walked in, flashed a badge and demanded what I needed. The only thing I could flash here was my pearly whites and my black S&W Five-Hundred. Neither which would get me what I needed.

I guess I still looked like a cop, black slacks, brown coat, yellow tinted Oakleys, and square shoulders. People looked me up and down and then went back to there biz. Good for them, the less they noticed me the better. I noticed one yuppie about to make his move when the man showed me the way. I gave him a curt smile and allowed him to lead me. He oh so gently brushed his hand against my back and managed to feel out the big revolver stashed back there.

The ork wasn’t at all what I was expecting. In this neighbor hood the metas tended to stick out. It looked to me someone was doing their level best to make him not. The door opened on the dwarf and the offer was made. I don’t think I even had a place to live yet, other than the halfway house.

500 a day. 7k up front, I could be living in my old place tomorrow, no more soy crap and protein bars. And he has to no I am no hitter, so probably body guard duty. This could be good girl, don’t screw it up. That’s when I noticed the rest of the people there, he wasn’t just hiring me, he was hiring a team.

Time to play or run, I chose play.

“Ok, nice to see someone who gets down to business. I’m in, but I reserve the right to walk if I don’t like what you want me to do, soka?”
Ankle Biter
Name: Comedian - Archtype: Hacker
16:57:59 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive
Model: ***Error; string SYSident returned a null value***redoing scan***software error corrected; Fa1rl1ght Cal1baI\I love.gif identified, error log deleted***

A brand name bike, built for comfort at speed pulls up outside the cafe. On it a pasty young man, who would look better for less pies and more exercise, seems to be deep in some internal reverie. A scraggly beard is losing a battle with the rest of his chin, and a weak moustache does nothing for the war effort. Short cropped hair of a dull brown color and shades better suited to a simstar complete the effect of somebody who only knows what fashion looks like from the movies and dosen't get the concept that certain things take poise.

James awoke with a start, Dave was telling him something.

<<Wha? we here already?>>
<<Yes, do pay attention.>>
<<But we're 1 minute 58 seconds early 1 minute 57 1 minute 56>>
<<Don't go recursive on me now, James, besides, you need time to get in the building don't you?>>
<<Oh yeah. Is it okay to leave my bike here?>>
<<Let the sprite take care of it, it's why it's there ain't it?>>

The young man dismounts, his tight fitted bike messenger clothing does nothing for his pudgy figure. He lays a hand on the bike in seeming admonishment.

<<Take this bike driving and come back when I call for you, ok?>>
Before the sprite could respond Dave cut in,
<<Keep to the traffic laws, don't go more than a block away, and if you scratch our ride I will slahh rik g'rubb until you decomplie, zumo'yah?>>

James did not quite know what slahhing was, and was almost certain that machine sprites didn't even have g'rubbs but from the careful way the bike pulled out he guessed the sprite believed that Dave would find some.

<<Is it ok to be so mean to them? They're only here to help.>>
<<It's not like it will be there for long, I'm just looking out for us, OK? Now get us in there and lets find out what this guy wants.>>
<<OK Dave, you know best.>>

Dave smiled and looked about as James approached the Cafe.

The young man's shades clear instantly upon entering the Cafe, compensating flawlesly for the sudden loss of light. Pale blue eyes flicker at movement invisible to the unaugmented. He walks carefully, as though afraid of sudden legs swinging out to trip him. At the stranger's invitation, unphased, or perhaps just mindlessly accepting, he follows the shadowy figure through the back rooms and past the Ork...

<<DON'T say skraa to him.>>
<<but...>>
<<Trust me, James, now is not the time.>>

...and into the Dwarf's invitation.

<<Sit down, keep quiet, set up a private network when everybody is here and let somebody who can do the talking.>>
adamu
16:40:00 5th & Pacific, downtown Seattle
Mode: Active, but no personal profile, SPAM filter set high Model/OS: Custom ACC: Imagelink, soundlink

Asp savors the feel of his new Mercury Comet as he pulls into a space in the big parking structure below the cineplex. He must never forget how much there was to savor in this life, and the car was the least of it. A life of hard work had made him who he wanted to be, inside at least, and few could make that claim. And a clear conscience. These SHOULD be enough to dispel the sting of his life's disappointments - but that, well, that was an ongoing project. Most of all, he had a purpose. He'd always worked hard, but now it was with a reason, a quest, if you would.

With a mental command he shut off the ignition and got out, creating a new security code as he did so. An affluent looking corpish couple crossed to the other side of the ramp as they walked to their car - once upon a time, not so long ago, people were comforted by his presence, but now respectable folk shied away from his menacing appearance - a big, snaggly-tusked ork with a deeply pock-marked face. Or maybe what scared them was the bright red cybereyes combined with an unnatural bulk that even a layman could tell was an enhanced musculature and defensive implants.

Out on the street there was still sunlight, and as always the flesh was out in force. The women downtown had the money to have the figures men dreamed of, and having laid out hard cash, they were eager to reveal their hard bodies - some Japanese words were better than English for some ideas, and he could think only of roshutsu. In his teens he hadn't known if he could survive the feelings these undisciplined passersby arose in him, and as an adult it had long remained a distraction. Now, though, he noted them only with amused interest. She had freed him from these falsehoods, and now he thought only of her.

He hadn't actually seen her in over six months, and he eschewed the chutohanpa sense of digital images. Of course he knew that she'd been out for a week - he counted it one of his greatest victories that he was not outside the prison when she walked out. The last week had been a nightmare - but then a nightmare, and a complete unknown, was all he'd be to her if he did see her. This morning, however, he knew he had passed this test, knew he would not weaken and endanger her with his proximity. They had stained her, but at least she wasn't on the run, like he was. And having never even spoken to her, he hoped they would not know that she had been the reason for his investigations. No, they must not meet - not now, maybe not ever.

But enough of these rambling, unfocused thoughts - today would be the next step in his journey. He started up the slope for the 15 minute walk to the Capitol Hill district and the Cafe Noir.
Whizbang
16:57 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
(not quite done with my sheet to fill out the rest of the header)

Walking down the streets of Capitol Hill, Whizbang couldn't help but feel out of place. All these people going about their business, without a care in the world. There wasn't some thug that would turn you into paste just because your eyes were the wrong color. She wouldn't be walking into the next stuffer shack robbery. This just wasn't the Barrens.

Finding the cafe, she ducked inside. The smells of food reminded her that breakfast had been a long time ago. But she wasn't here for food. Well, she was, in a way. If this job went through, she and the gang would be eating good for awhile.

It was sounding even better when she heard the offer. 7k just upfront? Heck, that might even find a better crashpad. But...for what? Good question. "Lot of money...question is, just what sort of job am I signing away a month of time for?"
adamu
16:45:00 Capitol Hill
Mode: Passive Model/OS: Custom ACC: Imagelink, soundlink

Almost immediately, just as he was walking on the overpass across I-5, a police drone popped up out of the traffic below, hovering over the railing and giving him the once over. He played good citizen and turned to give it a full frontal view - it didn't really need it, but he knew cops liked that level of obsequiousness from orks. He wasn't worried - when the surgeon had shown him the initial design for his new ork face, Asp had made a few adjustments to the doc's plan. He'd acted like it was just an aesthetic concern, but he'd wanted to make the changes to the shape of his forehead especially pronounced. Along with the ears (now larger and pointed), this was one of the areas the algorithms in facial pattern recognition software placed a particularly high value on, as it didn't change as one aged. He was confident he could pass any sort of visual muster.

He reached Cafe Noir at 16:56, just in time to see a very out-of-place street urchin go in. She looked about 14, but it was hard to tell with elves. Her hair was dyed in a rainbow pattern, an interesting choice. Of course his own head was shaved, but that was just professional - couldn't catch fire, couldn't get grabbed, carried less scent.

He wondered what she was here for. Most did it for the money, he reckoned, and money wouldn't suck. Others maybe for the rep, but he wanted none of that. No, for him, this was school.

He walked across the street and went right in. He'd done a lot of little muscle jobs for Firkin, but this would be his first "run" with a team and all. He really had no idea how the meet might go down, but he didn't have to wonder long, as the "greeter" wasted no time in ushering him into the back room.

He stepped through the door and there she was. He stood frozen in place for a second, staring. She noticed, gave the polite smile of a woman used to stupid leers from men way out of her league, and then turned dismissively away. The confirmation that she did not recognize him brought him back to reality, and he took a place behind a chair at the table - a place to the side of the room from which he could see both the door he'd used and the one he assumed the Johnson would come in through.

What a fool. What a damned fool! He had assumed she would get a regular job, or maybe private security work. But how could he even think of a woman like her taking such a path? Of course she had wasted no time getting into the shadows - and she was undoubtedly there for the same reason he was.

He should leave right now. Stand up, make some stereotypically ork comment like "Screw this crap," and get away from her. She was in danger just being near him. But as the room filled with the remaining "applicants," he couldn't help wondering whether she'd be in more danger without him. This was about the most dangerous jobs in the world, aside maybe from fixing cracked nuclear reactors. Or Russian Roulette. No, in Russian Roulette you had an 84% chance of living - or even 50%, if you played for keeps. He looked around the room and doubted 50% of the people around the table would be living past this job. Sahara had to be one of them. Even if she was the only one, she had to be one of them.

So the moment she accepted the J's pitch, he simply growled, "In."
Ankle Biter
16:59:59 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model: ***Error; string SYSident return-***redoin-*** I told you, it's a Fairlight Caliban, now kh'rank off and stop asking mad.gif***error log deleted***

The young man looks unabashedly around the Dwarf's room, and at his other companions.

<<Dave, is that pretty blonde lady going to be the face? She didn't say much...>>
<<How the hell should I know? But to tell the truth I wouldn't mind seeing her work, hur hur biggrin.gif >>
<<You're right, Dave, a pretty lady like her is bound to be able to get us more money for this job.>>
<<I agree, if her's and the Dwarf's tastes run that way she may well end up "on the job, bound, for money". ho ho rotfl.gif>>
<<That dosen't make any sense.question.gif>>
<<Skraa James, this is Earth calling, where are you James?>>
<<What? frown.gif >>
<< ohplease.gif Just stop staring and keep quiet, OK?>>
<<OK, Dave, you know best.>>
Cedric Rolfsson
16:54:01 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive Sony Emperor/Renraku Ichi
ACC: Ares TrueSight Electric Shades, AR gloves

Harley sat at the wheel of his Mercury Comet and drummed his fingers along the wheel one more time, staring up the street at the address he’d been given for the meeting, not liking this one little bit as he slowly drifted up the street looking for a place to park. There was just no way he could escape notice in this setting, there just weren’t that many two meter tall, 130 kilo, heavily scarred Orks wandering this area, and no matter how he dressed he knew that one of the Star’s beat cops would make him as a streethood in a flat nano.

His clothes were designed to present a professional appearance for the Johnson, but that didn’t mean he looked like he belonged in this place. The blue jeans and black turtle neck T-shirt would fit in fine but not many of these spoiled little corporate scions were wearing heavily armored jackets and carrying a Predator V, much less the handful of leaf bladed throwing knifes he’d tucked away on his person. Digger always said a runner who carried himself as a professional got more respect, respect equaled better jobs and better pay, both of which Harley desperately needed right now.

He saw one of those new little BMWs sliding out of a parking space on the other side of the street about half a block ahead and got on the gas. There was already an older white Mercedes waiting about twenty meters back with its blinker on but the BMW’s movement kept it away from the parking spot, so as soon as the BMW’s front end cleared the parking space Harley gunned the gas and leaned into the turn, whipping right into the spot in front of the outraged Mercedes driver. He ignored the usual chorus of screeching brakes and blaring horns, shot the screaming Mercedes driver a one-fingered salute and got out of the car.

Harley checked to make sure everything was ready before he headed in, making sure the Predator V was loose in its quick release combat holster on his left hip, and to memorize where his car was to make sure he wouldn’t loose it on the way out. A quick scan up and down the street told him he had no worries there, since his Comet’s paint scheme of two tone black and primer gray with rust accents appeared to be unique here in Capital Hill. Hell, in his neighborhood a car without dents and rust spots would seem undressed. Shrugging he jandered off to the meet.

The inside of he café made him alternate wanting to chuckle and slap someone. The little rich kids sat here slurping coffee and sucking down Cuban cigars that cost more than he and his sister lived on in a month, talking about drek that didn’t mean a dam thing in the real world and acting like it was the most important spew ever to come out of a metahuman’s gob. He wanted to laugh at them for being stupid and hit them for being rich, he settled for ignoring them and heading quietly into the back room.

The room was already occupied, silent faces glanced at him when he came in then went back to focusing on their own private little universes, all without saying a word. Fine with him, he leaned back against a the wall beside the door to listen.
HeySparky
Name: Cadence Strange McShane; Archtype: Rigger
16:52:05 Capitol Hill, Down the street from Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive MODEL: Fairlight Caliban OS: Novatech Navi
ACC: Cybereye image link; Shades imagelink; Step-van dash display

Nathaniel swivels in his seat, looking back over his shoulder as he eases the utility van into a space few drivers could hope to fit. For some reason, rather than rely on the van's sensor suite when parallel parking, he always preferred to turn and look with his own eyes. Well, the eyes in his head. Sometimes they felt like his, sometimes they didn't. Anyway, there was something pleasant in the physical motion of stretching around to peer over his shoulder - stretching full length from head to toe - back and forth - checking clearances and the flow of traffic up and down the street before giving the wheel a few decisive turns and settling into place.

He relaxed back into the seat as the engine cut at a mental command, diagnostics on the vehicle's performance - dumped to his commlink.

"Well we're here, you ready?" he said to a long, thin drone coiled on the van's narrow dashboard. Jacked into a docking station, the drone could both interface with his vehicle and recharge itself. The metallic snake lifted it's head and the blue LED lights of its eyes glowed and dimmed.

The drone - a sophisticated drone pet - had been a gift a few months back, Arianna's eyes had sparkled with amusement when she had handed him a the black case. "Mr. Everett sends this along with his regards. I think you'll like it." He'd opened the sleek case and seen the drone nestled in glittering foam. Anders had positively drooled over the thing. And over a beer they had come up with the idea to turn the pet into something more. Now, several months and a lot of tinkering later, it was ready for action.

Quite by coincidence, the drone was ready just in time for this strange assignment from Arianna, a 'favor' for a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend. Nevermind who. She assured him it was nothing too unsavory, but that she'd 'Appreciate it, darling, thanks I knew I could count on you.' He owed her enough to check the job out, though if the trids were any guide, he should have brought more than a partly-from-scratch-built proto-type drone with him. Of course, if the trids were right, there was no possible way a shadow meet would be happening in this part of town. Where were the ruffians and scofflaws and hooligans? The street sams with thier monokatanas? He chuckled to himself and pushed down a fluttering of nerves. He checked his appearance in the mirror and made minor adjustments to his hair.

Nathaniel reaches out to the drone who obligingly slithers up the young man's arm, under his jacket sleeve. The feeling still gave Nathaniel the creeps. Once settled unobtrusively along its owner's shoulders, the drone subscribes itself to Nathan's commlink and engages its Agent persona. An AR window in the corner of Nathan's vision indicating that the drone is ready for any commands he might have.

He sits in the van for a couple minutes browsing the local AR advertisements and watching pedestrian traffic come and go down the street, getting a feel for the place. At 10 til, he steps out of the van and onto the street, headed for his first official meet. What have I let myself in for?

After a brisk and strangely pleasant walk, he comes to Cafe Noir. That's appropriate, at least. He opens the door for a striking young woman with brown skin and curly, blonde hair. He pauses inside the door to take off his shades and watches the woman cross the room. His aren't the only eyes following her. But he keeps watching because she heads to the back, rebuffing an advance as she goes and ducking through the door marked 'Electrical.'

Nathan raises his eyebrows and follows her in, nodding a greeting to the ork as he passes. He'd seen the type plenty of times with the more high-end fares. He takes up a position mirroring the pinstriped ork. Though Nathan's own dress is more casual, to fit in in the neighborhood, his posture is business-like, polite.

Fifteen thousand. Wow... I really could use that. He doesn't say anything, but shifts his stance, cocking his head curious to hear what more the man has to say. He glances briefly around the room, puzzling over the motley assemblage. The tough, the kid, the chick... I guess that's all appropriate too. He looks back at the sweaty man, unsure if their would-be-employer is typical or not when a thought occurs to him. That would make me ...the uptight stuffed shirt. Aw, cripes! He blinks and refocuses his attention on the matter at hand.
Cedric Rolfsson
16:55:31 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive mode: Sony Emperor/Renraku Ichi

Harley centered his weight over his feet, no longer leaning against the wall, and listened to the hot chick blabbing with the suit, trying hard not show his reaction to the kind of numbers they were tossing around so fragging casually.

nuyen.gif 7,000.00 up front money! That means that there's got to be a way to pull down more than the 15K total tag the halfer is offering.

He needed that score big time, it was enough to make sure Alisha had what she needed for at least two months of school, and it meant he wouldn't have to do any nickel-and-dime skip-tracing for awhile. The chick was right about maintaining the option of pulling out if this looked like a suicide run, but Harley thought she was glitched for saying it. Collect the up front and if the run goes bad later, bail and let the Johnson just try and leverage the front money back. Harley knew the rule was, if you don't complete the job to return the money, otherwise a runner's rep got around and he stopped getting work but everyone understood that when the Johnson lied all bets were off.

Following an instinct, he breathed himself into astral view and scanned the auras of those present, then focused on the Johnson. He wasn't a mage but he'd been reading auras for years and maybe he could tell if the Johnson was setting them up.
JackRipper
Harley:

[ Spoiler ]
Ankle Biter
17.00.01 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model: ***If you ask again I will kick you so hard that yo-***Chill, Dave, It's A Perfectly normal Fairlight Caliban, nothing to see, move along***

<<Ok, The meet has officially started, I guess it's time to set up the private network, Dave>>
<<Looks like, now let's see who we have here...>>

The large young man's face clouds slightly, a dreamy look in his eyes.
Cedric Rolfsson
16:55:33 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

Sweet bleeding frag!

Quickly Harley breathed himself back out of mindview, feeling his muscle tensing with the instinctive fight or flight reflex the astral apparition inspired. He took a second and tried to slow his breathing back to a normal rate and listened to his heart thump in his chest. Whatever that astral thingie was it had enough mojo to nuke him flat out. He knew he was safer in the physical plane which was his specialty and decided too keep his instincts in better check next time.

Harley tried to focus on the negotiations going on in the mundane world, but the chill running down his spine kept reminding him that someone else was present, just out of sight.
JackRipper
The fat, balding dwarf lights up a cigar between his chubby stunted fingers. As he exhales the smoke he looks around at each of the faces in the room. "So we have a deal then?" He waits a short moment before continueing "My money and my rules, and since I'll be needing your services at a moments notice...and i'm not interested in any i'm fraggin' this far out drek, I've arranged a place for you all to stay. At no charge" He says the last bit as if he's doing you a favor. The nicely dressed Ork approaches the table and places a piece of E paper (Electronic paper) in the middle." This has the address and comm code to enter." The Ork backs away as the Dwarf begins to speak again." We'll let you..." Decides not to say what he was about to say "settle in a bit before we send you out on your first little errand."
Cedric Rolfsson
16:59:33 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

The brother and the hot chick were in just like that, no bargaining or nuthin. He wasn't quite as keen on this deal. He came away from the wall, moving slowly to the edge of the table to use his height to tower over the Johnson but being careful to do nothing to trigger a reaction from the bodyguard.

"Hoi, Chopper here Mr. Johnson, that sounds like a good deal and all, but I ain't too sure. You're offering 7K up front for a bunch of unspecificed work, and the hopes of collecting the other 8K at the end of the deal. We don't even know what kind of work yer talkin bout here, it makes it kinda hard to set a price don't you think? I mean, 15K is fine for doin some milk runs or close-cover stuff but if yer talkin about a run against Aztechnology's central research and development data core or icing the President of the Board of Renraku then maybe we need to know before we start agreeing to price."

He paused as if thinking were difficult for him, just to let his comment sit in the sudden quite, then continued.

"We could do it like dem lawyers do, treat the 7K as a retainer fee to gaurentee exclusive availability and then negotiate each job as it comes up."

JackRipper
The dwarf chuckles expelling smoke with a PHHAAUHH noise. "You think I'd hire a bunch of nobodies for a run on the Azzies? Chummer, you should check your rep sometime, and i dont mean from the joytoy that makes you feel all warm and important. You barely make a blip on the radar." Composing himself slightly, but with still an air of amusement." I like you kid, got the Hez in spades." Pointing the lite end of the cigar to make a point. "500 a day as I said, and for something out of the ordinary i'll pass along a bonus....fair enough?"
Ankle Biter
17.00.11 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Right, that does i-***A Perfectly normal Fairlight Caliban, honest, guv.***

A comms message, combined sound/text/VR format is sent to all present runners, it is a compressed packet to help evade detection and has an attached invite to a private PAN.

<I'm Comedian, data entry, exit, and editing technician, and presumably your Hacker for the foreseeable, 'less our employer chose to get two for some reason. I'm inviting you all to a private comms conference so that we can discuss the job without having to argue in front of the Johnson. Please sound off your Handles, and areas of expertise so I can complete the hub, or, if you are on a low tech comm / ruinning without subvocalisation or a 'trode net, just click [here] to get incoming voice only, [here] for two way text and [here] if you want to send the profie on your comm out.

P.S. if your firewall setup is remotly intelligent then it will probably flag those links with a warning that they will result in data being sent. That would be the subscription to the hub, so click OK. If it does not ask, and you don't know why it didn't, see me after the meet, and I will see if I can set your security up any better.>
Cedric Rolfsson
17:00:13 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

Chopper tried to listen to the Johnson's proposal and read the message that flashed into ghostly view in the lower portion of his vision. A little confused he focused on the Johnson first, after all he was the one with the money.

"Hunh," he snorted dersively, "just cause you ain't dialed in to my street rep don't mean it ain't there chummer. It don't matter to me what the opposition is, if I didn't believe that I could run against the Azzies and walk away I'da run home and dreked myself long ago since most of the Mr. Johnson's I worked with ain't been as honest and forthcoming as you." The young Ork showed the Dwarf his best cocky wise-ass smile.

"Still, I can accept your idea of a bonus for unusual work with the understanding that if one of yer errands is beyond what I'm willing to do then I let you know and pull the plug. I get to keep the up front money for the days that I've been on the job. If I pull the plug before two weeks then you'll be getting some but not all of your front money back, if I pull the plug after two weeks then I guess you just got yerself a bargain."

He casually manipulated the ghostly icon accepting the two way text format thingie as he was talking and resolved to get himself a subvocal mic and the software to allow vox commands with some of the front money. He tried to make the finger movements small and surrepticious as he typed in a brief reply.

<Chopper, I bend people.>

He sent the text message off and glanced at the people around the table, trying to figure out which one was Comedian. Not the Ork, he was clearly muscle too, but it could be any of the rest. Normally he'd try scanning their auras to see if that would give a clue but he remained very conscious that astral space was unfriendly around here.
Shadow
17:01:05 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
PAN: Ignore Model: NT Airwave OS: NT Navi ACC: Oakley Yellow Shooting Glasses

I was about to say something when my comlink flashed a request. One of the group was trying to get me into a com call, I didn't have time to read a lengthy message and talk to the Johnson, so for now I set it to ignore. Obviously at least one other guy felt that the money wasn't good enough. I had to admit to myself, the prospect of a place to sleep and warm food to eat was about what I would work for. It's amazing what you will do, and what you will think about doing when you are hungry. Though, the 20 pound drop since prison had done my figure wonders, I wasn't inclined to stay hungry just to keep it.

I figured my pheromones had enough time to permeate the room, so here it goes.

"Not that I am balking at the money, it's good money. But you are taking us on retainer for an entire month, we can't really work for anyone else, we have to live in your safe house. Lets just say, I can make 2k a job and work twice a week. That’s 4k a week times 4, that’s 16k, twice what you are offering us. So lets think about what’s fair to us, and to you, you do want our best effort. You don't want us grumbling about our pay when we should be working."

Ok it was low but I added a little head toss and ended the conversation with my lips just a little bit a part. It has a great effect on men. Like I said, I’m hungry.
JackRipper
Pulling a long puff on his cigar "I dont know what you get paid 2k twice a week for.." His eyes drift over her form "But, i can imagine it aint no run." Composing himself he continues, by first looking around the room, then drawing on the cigar.
"Listen, we're all here to get the right amount of effort for the right amount of Yen that's a given." Exhaling and then leaning into the light as the smoke swirls about the table." You're already getting alot more than i can pay to hire my errands out piecemeal and all i'm getting from you is i want more, and hey if i dont like it i walk." Leaning back into the chair "Try and see it from my position, you want more? then give me more" Uses his hand with the cigar to point into the palm of his other hand "Give me something i can bank on."

"This is negotiations but, all i'm getting is your demands...it's a game of give and take chummers...you got to give as well as take." Gone is the brash behaviour from before, now before you is a professional in his element.
Ankle Biter
17.00.30 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Yeah, that's right chummer keep asking, I got yer number.***Fairlight Caliban, got a problem with that?***

4th wall spoiler
[ Spoiler ]

Internal monologue, not broadcast.
<<One call dumped already, James, that dusky lass looks like she has trust issues>>
<<Oh, well you did catch her just as she was about to start talking. Why don't you try again?>>
<<Why don't I melt the comm out from under her?>>
<<Because she would probably ask me to buy her a new one, and frankly I don't see either of us refusing.>>
<<Fair enough. I'll send her a message again>>

Sahara / anybody who denies the first conference request
[ Spoiler ]
adamu
17:00:35 Capitol Hill Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive Model/OS: Custom ACC: Imagelink, Soundlink

Watching Sahara turn the sexual heat up on the creepy little gravelly-voiced Johnson filled Asp with an almost uncontrollable urge to dive across the table for the dwarf's throat. He knew it was just business, but it tore his heart to see her reduced to wheedling for a few extra nuyen. As he had hundreds of times in her presence, he guided his ki into his lower abdomen, distancing himself from his physical creature and the material environment surrounding it, allowing himself total control over his tatemae even as his honne raged and stormed in his breast. He sat in his chair, still as a stone, his altered face a blank mask. His eyes, undifferentiated red orbs, revealed nothing about the direction of his gaze. As an afterthought, he logged onto the proferred PAN with a simple mental command.

<Asp - Tactical>
Shadow
1700-ish Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir

"Well, I Had to try," I said with an impish smile. The kind that says 'I'm jsut a girl, I didn't do anything wrong.'

The commlink chiimed again. Ok, I could answer it this time, dman how I hate these things.

"Hi, names Sahara, not sure what to tell you, my specialty obviously isn't negotiating."
Ankle Biter
17.00.50 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***mmmph rmmmph grrk***FailightCalibanIgnoreTheHammerIgnoreTheHammerIgnoreTheHammerIgnoreTheHammer***

<No worries I'm sure we'll->
<-get along ok.>

Asp - Tactical

and

Sahara - not negotiator

are added to the avatars.
Cedric Rolfsson
17:01:03 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

"Well I Had to try."

Chopper watched the hot chick, Sahara apparently from the little text blurbs that popped into his vision, take a run at the Johnson. He had no idea how the Johnson ignored the fact that she was practically promising the halfer a little extra so to speak. The J certainly had either nerves of steel or the blood in his veins was cold as ice.

He stepped back to the left, away from Asp the tactical Ork, effectively bracketing the Johnson and his bodyguard. Before he left the edge of the table though he scanned the address and commcode off the piece of paper left on the table.

"Well, I'm willing to work fer ya under the terms discussed, but I'd be awful nice to know generally what kinda work we're looking at doing. Muscle, extraction, datasnatch, etc. Of course without mentioning any kind of specifics that might give away the targets," he glanced around the room, "places like this the walls have ears."

As he moved away he text messaged the address and commcode to Comedian the hacker along with a short message.

<Here is the address and commcode for the doss the Johnson put on the table, I don't know what you can do, but maybe its rental or ownership history can tell us more about the Johnson. It might give us an idea who the opposition is likely to be or what kind of run we're looking at, that sort of thing chummer.>
Cedric Rolfsson
17:01:11 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

Harley pulled out one of the chairs and spun it so he could sit bass ackward on it and drape his thick forearms over the back. A thought occurred to him so he blurted it out before the Johnson could respond.

"Oh, ya, how bout expenses? If we're going to run up 10K worth of expenses in order to earn 15K in pay then that effects our bottom line. Are you open to discussion concerning a reasonable expense account?"

There that ought to give the Johnson something to think about besides watching what Comedian is going to be doing. If I can keep him talking for a couple of minutes then maybe we can get enough data to maybe get a better handle on this gig.

Harley kept his hands still and in plain view, that way the Johnson could tell he'd stopped passing messages back and forth. He'd tried to keep the gestures small but this little fragger didn't seem to miss a tick and the young Ork assumed he'd seen him sending text messages and had to be wondering about it.

If I were the Johnson I'd be wondering where those text messages where going and what they said. He's got a mage standing by in astral space, he could well have a hacker monitoring the local wireless connections. I'd at least assume that those messages were going to one of the other runners and that we were exchanging information as part of some kind of plan.

Harley realized the delayed question concerning expenses could only help, it would probably look to the Johnson like he was passing on a question on of the other runners had text messaged him.

Maybe he'll assume that the hot chick and I had agreed to run our own version of the age old "good-cop/bad-cop" routine only this would have to be more like "sweet and sour" and this is part of the gambit.

Whatever kept the Johnson guessing couldn't hurt so long as the Dwarf didn't get too paranoid and either walk away or tell the bodyguards to start shooting.
JackRipper
"You've got a load of goodies waiting on you at the safehouse" he begins to laugh "so, you wont need to dip into your trust funds."
Cedric Rolfsson
17:01:14 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

"Well then," Chopper returned the Johnson's laugh, "the only question I have left then is whether we get to keep the "goodies" at the end of the run? Other than that I'd have to say that you've hired yerself a grade A leg breaker then Mr. Johnson, and that this'd have to be a pretty nasty deal to make me walk away from a fella who's being as accomodating as you."

Chopper knew that the Johnson was being generous because the run was grade AA dangerous, but that didn't really bother him much, everything else in his life had been dangerous too so why break a streak.
JackRipper
The dwarf smiles with the big cigar in his mouth and taking out he waves at the nicely dressed Ork." Told you he had some serious Hez, on keeping some gear, it'll probably be hot by the time i would recieve it back...so, how about i sell it to you at bargain basement prices, say 50%?"
Cedric Rolfsson
17:01:20 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

Chopper was nodding along even before the Johnson had finished his pitch.

"That seems fair enough, that way we'll only take what we want, and you'll only be out 50% of the value so everybody wins. Of course we don't pay for equipment that's lost or broken during the course of the run, just the stuff we've grown too attached to at the end of the run to part with right." Again with the wise-ass grin.

"I'd be happy to give you a receipt in triplicate and an inventory and written explanation for all items lost or damaged at the end of the month, just so you'll have something to submit to the accounting and auditing departments. I'd hate to have the bean counter's ledgers come up out of balance."
JackRipper
Smiling "Yeah that'd be a shame wouldnt it?" The dwarf spends some time chuckling before continuing on "So, we've agreed upon a price? neh?, a bonus system? surplus gear rights? and length of employment?" He looks around at each face for each point.
Ankle Biter
Edit - add time date stamp.

17.02.30 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Error***You just don't give up, do you?***Error***Failight Caliban, now delete the error log, and drek off, I'm busy***

Comedian breaks his silence.

His accent is totally different to the one used on comms, the kind of heavy slummer lingo that could close doors all around town.

'Likely number of "jobs."'

he grunts

'500 nuyen a day looks a lot less impressive at one job a day, ya?'
Shadow

"Sounds good to me, so you just want us to go the safe house and hang out for now?"

It was good, the bonus action was a good idea, should have thought of that. It really sucks being out of your element, thingss you should think of pass you by simply becasue you have to look at the world from a different point of view. I need to get my head in the game if I am going to keep my head.

"Anything else or should we go?"

So if no one has any other questions I think we should get out of here.
Ankle Biter
17.02.59 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Static***Fairlight Caliban***

<Damn, that Johnson is good, you're taking the run and you have no clue what it even is yet? Did you not notice he has not yet told us even a vague idea of what the work will be?>
Shadow
PAN: Ignore Model: NT Airwave OS: NT Navi ACC: Oakley Yellow Shooting Glasses, Sub-Vocal Mic

"Are you an idiot? Or maybe you have a lot of money stashed away somewhere and don't need this job, if that’s the case walk away. This unwashed pig is not 'good'. He has an expensive suit, and cheep cigars, that means the money is new. Or it isn't his. Either way I am going to take my 7k now thank you very much. And if you were paying attention, he did say what the job was, delivery runs, fed-ex jobs, and the like. If he comes to us and says Wet work we can always re-negotiate or walk, its not like he's going to sue us for breach of contract. Now take the job, or walk, but don't ruin it for the rest of us who would like to eat this week."
JackRipper
The dwarf looks over at 'the comedian' "Look it talks." he says before stiffling a laugh. "I got about 5 errands I need run, with maybe one as a pick up or extra." Looking at Chopper "And yes, we can make that a bonus pay...first you need to cut your teeth on these small errands before i throw youse a bone from the table." Looking around as the meeting seems to settle."You'll be getting a call shortly, a few things are still in the works, but when they're done i need youse to be ready. And you got another member who'll be along after they're done with a side job."
Cedric Rolfsson
17:03:20 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

<Easy there guys, yer both right, but lets not push this guy too much. We can always walk away if we need to later. Sides, if this turns out to be a slot over we'll be in his doss with his goodies to take along with his 7K. Unless this is a set up I think we accept the contract as stated and see what develops.>

Chopper tried hard to look sheepish, sitting up straight in his chair and dropping his hands into his lap, which convientently covered the motion of text messaging again.

"Errr, I gotta pick some stuff up before meeting back up at HQ, I couldn't bring my heavy duty bang-bang along or my extra armor to this neighborhood. The Star gets all slotted if they see me carrying it around, and I hate icing cops they get so pissy about it, so I didn't bother. How about we collect our front money and meet at HQ in a little while?"
Ankle Biter

17.02.59 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Static***Fairlight Caliban***

<..and this is why I set up a private pan network. I'm not up for shitting in your cereal, Sahara, but the friendly mr J here needs to clarify a few points before I'm in. Where did "delivery runs, fed-ex jobs, and the like" come from? All I got is a nebulous "out of the ordinary," and where I come from blowing up buisiness rivals, and slotting people is relativley common practice.>

OOC sorrys,
[ Spoiler ]
Shadow
PAN: Ignore Model: NT Airwave OS: NT Navi ACC: Oakley Yellow Shooting Glasses, Sub-Vocal Mic

Your right Chopper, I need to get a few things too. I'l meet you guys at the safe house.

"So, we get our advance now..."
Ankle Biter
17.03.49 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***I plead the 5th***Error***Alright, alright, Fairlight Caliban***

<The advantage of being me is I get to carry my shinys on my person, I'll scope the place for yer while you're busy getting your kit together, assuming I'm in when the J clarifys a couple things for me, we got no worries. Even if I'm out, if you need a hacker for low profile work, or comms built to spec, you got my commcode.>
HeySparky
17:04:05 Capitol Hill, 'Electrical' room of the Cafe Noir
ACC: Cybereye image link; Cyberear soundlink; Shades imagelink

Wham, bam, but no 'thank you, ma'am.' And just like that it was done. A for-real shadowrun. Nathan's head was spinning. Three minutes. That was all it took. Way, way off in the distance was a line vanishing from sight, and now that he had crossed it... Something broke inside him. For the love of God, I hope Arianna knows what she's done here, because I sure as frag don't. He took a deep, steadying breath and rather than trust himself to speak he publishes a temporary passcode on his comlink for the Johnson to wire him the up-front money.

He looks out of the corner of his eye at the turtle-necked ork. That one seems to have it together. I'll just keep my head down. Foot on the pedal and everything will be fine. Just fine. Speaking of which...

<Cadence, wheels.>

...he adds belatedly. His AR response to Comedian's query is a small calling card 'hand' delivered by a blue snake, the card has two holes in it from tiny fangs. The snake derezzes when the card is taken and Nathan's sketched, cartoon face joins the others.

<Since we're rolling, anyone gonna need a ride?>
adamu
17:04:00 Cafe Noir
PAN: Passive Model/OS: Custom ACC: Soundlink, Imagelink

Icing cops, huh? He'd have to decide how he felt about that. Probably be very situational. He'd trusted those bastards like family....

As the meet wound down, Asp gave his commlink a DNI command to completely kill his WiFi connection, then gave a series of similar commands to his eyes - within a few seconds he had snapped digital photos of everyone present, except Sahara, he wouldn't need one of those. It wasn't hard to do surreptitiously, he just turned his head in the general direction of whoever was speaking, and without irises or pupils in his red-orb eyeballs, he could adjust the angle without anyone the wiser. Just a few seconds later, and with multiple shots of the J and the bodyguard, he was back online in passive mode.

Once back on the PAN, he found Cadence's post and followed suit: he posted a commcode for the J to send his Y7,000 to, confirms receipt, and mentally input a brief message - <I've got a car, too. Anyone else needs a ride, follow me out, but I'm stopping in Tacoma before heading to the safehouse.>

With that he stood, raising his thick, Sumo-wrestler build out of his chair in one smooth motion, and headed out the door without a word or a look back.
Cedric Rolfsson
17:04:06 Capitol Hill - Cafe Noir

Chopper saw the message from Cadence flash up in his vision and immediately began a response.

<Thanks Cadence I won't need a ride but can I send a couple of small bags with you? The gear I brought with me, small stuff only. I'm borrowing a chummer's wheels and I'll return the car and get a ride back to the area of the HQ.>

Changing from a personal missive to a general one he added.

<First persons to the safe house should secure the area, do we have anyone else who brought some passive sensor packages? I've got a couple of micro-cameras and four micro-motion sensors in my gear. If our tactical people can consult with our tech people to put them on a secured link we'll have at least some eyes and warning of anyone approaching the safe house, including our too secretive Johnson. I'd like to have some warning before he, or anyone he sends, just show up at the door and he'll have the key to any on-site security systems.

We should also sweep the house for bugs, so we can be certain just what Mr. Johnson knows or doesn't know about what goes on in that doss. Does anyone besides me have a bug scanner?>
HeySparky
17:04:12 Capitol Hill, Down the street from Cafe Noir
ACC: Cybereye image link; Cyberear soundlink; Shades imagelink

Nathan feels like he's missed a lot, mind focused on where it is that he finds himself rather than the people with whom he'll be spending a month's time. His mind retrieves a distant memory, an archive his grandmother kept of a television fad in the early part of the 21st century - 'Reality Television.' Typically a half-dozen or so people stuck into very close proximity for an alotted time who, sometimes competed for prizes or sometimes just annoyed the fire out of one another.

"Honestly, Nat, I don't know why she keeps this tripe," his grandfather had said as Nathaniel dug through the data chip archives of shows with dull names, "Hey, be careful with that one, that's the series finale of--" his grandfather had broken off, chagrined. "I watched them a little. Because of your grandmother. They grow on you."

He smiles at the memory and then kicks himself for letting his mind wander. I'm off my game today, gotta be sharper than this.

<Gear - Licensed, unlicensed?>

He waits for the others to file out keeping a close eye on the muscle and the Johnson, attempting to look competent, confident. He nods in their direction when reciept of the nuyen.gif 7k hits his commlink.

<Bug scanner and other goodies. I'll bring what I can.>
Shadow

"Asp, right? I could use a ride, even if you have to go to Tacoma, you think we could stop by a stuffer shack though, I uh, haven't eaten in a while."

7 grand never looked so good. Filling my eyes with vision of food, and new clothes, and maybe some shoes.
Ankle Biter
17.04.46 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Error***oh no it's not***Err-***Failight Caliban***

<I'm good for transport, once I'm out of here, I'll start working up what info we can find on this house.>

Glancing around the room Comedian takes short simsense clips of everybody and dumps them to skinlinked memory.

Out loud, again with an accent at odds with the one used in comms

"Mr J. your pay is good, an I like yer terms but like you said "ya want more, then gimme more" and I dunno what you expect me to give, yah? I'll make it easier for you, cos I really don't wanna know what you have planned 'tll I'm in. What I do best is B&E, GTA, Larceny, and Cracking, the light touch, ya? If you are looking for a hacker who will walk into firefights, or act as an enforcer, then I ain't your man, cos I ain't no good at that drek, I know somebody who is, and can can get them here right quick. Whadda ya say, subtle or muscle?

Don't worry none about me blabbin, we point jobs to each other a lot and it's hard fer him to throw me a bone when he's dead, ya."
JackRipper
"You should be fine...you might have to duck occassionally, but you'll do fine I think" The dwarf says as he pulls a lung full off the cigar."Never met a hacker who didnt shun the more violent aspects of life, you keep your head down and your 'friends' here should be able to cover you." The dwarf sits back in the chair with what you take is a confident, job well done posture.
Ankle Biter
17.05.06 Capitol Hill, Cafe Noir
Model:***Failight Caliban, no honest, it couldn't possibly be anything else..***

Comedian grins
"You never met my chummer then. I'm in, where's the front money?"
adamu
17:06:00 Cafe Noir patio
PAN: passive Model/OS: Custom ACC: Imagelink, Soundlink

Asp steps out of the dark interior into the still-bright Seattle afternoon, pleased by the sun on his face, his flare compensators instantly adjusting to the new environment. He is about to turn around to see if he'll be playing cabbie for any of his new teammates when he hears her voice behind him. Sahara. Just asking for a ride, a stop at the konbini. Three years in the same precinct and never a word, no matter how he'd tried to work it. First day he's sure he can force himself to avoid her, and there she is. What'd Kafka say? Something about stay in your room and the world will come to you?
But then, these aren't really her first words to him, are they? Because it isn't him. Officer Cyrus Burger fell in love with her, and then, for her, he became Asp. Still himself, but only to himself. To her, just a big ork with a car. He turns and for the first time ever looks down into her beautiful eyes, but all she can look back at are inhuman red orbs.
He always reckoned when this moment came he'd freeze, then stammer. But he didn't miss a beat - "Sure, Sahara. My ride's down on 5th and Pacific."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012