Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B13 - A shadowrun movie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
My pregnant wife has been having cravings for kung-fu, so we picked up this (not technically kung-fu, I know) movie for about $15. Everyone has seen the clip of the French guy jumping through windows and around the apartment building while being chased by a dozen guys with guns, right? The threads titled "d00d, athletics 8 adept!" That video is a clip from this movie (and really, probably the BEST single clip from the movie).

The overall premise is pretty neat. Basically they walled off a section of Paris and stopped all public services, so it's now the barrens. There are a few barracks where the police live, armed with grenade launchers and assault rifles, but they don't do much except "keep the peace". The peace is really kept by drug dealers who have lotsa cash. The plot is quite believable, and I think would work great in an SR setting, although it might be a bit complex in that there are easier ways to accomplish what the main bad guy wants to do. Action scenes were neat, the female lead had a lot of spunk. Overall one of the better Shadowrun-esque movies, certainly better than Johnny Mnemonic.

This is a French movie, on limited release in the US. IMDB says this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

Edit: Oh yeah, towards the end there's a hacker with like a two minute cameo. It took me a moment to put two and two together as to what REALLY transpired, but when I did, it seemed pretty funny. A good note as to why you should always make sure the people smarter than you fear you.
Witness
Hmm. I thought I'd heard somewhere that they were doing an English-language version of this ("District 13") but maybe I misunderstood and that's just the English-language title for a subtitled release.
Yeah it looks good. Will check it out if I see it around.

On a related note: just saw that Russian film Nightwatch the other day. Not really very SR in terms of plot but.. magic on the streets of a gritty dystopian city.. certainly had a SR vibe in places. (EDIT: and a really cool film in its own right.) So check that out if you've missed it.

(It's also really weird and wonderful how they've done the subtitles in that film- they add such a brilliant new dimension to the film that I almost feel sorry for the Russians who didn't get them!)
James McMurray
What did they do with the subtitles?
Kid_Arcane
See an older movie called "Nemesis" for a decent Shadowrun type flick as well.
nezumi
QUOTE (James McMurray)

The subtitlez have been gangsta'ed for your convenience. A little irritating, actually.

Yeah, it looks like District 13 might be the same thing, so it's up to you. I generally prefer subbed over dubbed, especially since my wife speaks French pretty well.
Backgammon
Yeah, it should be playing around here somewhere. My girlfriend wanted to see it so we may geta round to it too. I read a review in a local newspaper. It's apparently a showcase of parkour, and in fact the main actor is the guy that invented the sport, so thats kinda cool.

On a side not, we rented Running Scared last night. Overall, it's good, not great, but from a SR perspective it's really good for showing some street level action. I recommended it for shadowrunners looking for research material wink.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Yeah, it should be playing around here somewhere. My girlfriend wanted to see it so we may geta round to it too. I read a review in a local newspaper. It's apparently a showcase of parkour, and in fact the main actor is the guy that invented the sport, so thats kinda cool.

Seen it in the theatre myself a while back. I find subbing a bit annoying in theatres, but definately prefer it at home.

That first extended parkour was absolutely the best footchase scene I've seen in a looong time. The rest of the movie didn't work as well for me, but it was definately OK.
Shrike30
QUOTE (James McMurray)

The subs are blended into the rest of the image well... people will be walking along talking with the subs streaming out behind them, or cars will provide a "wipe" for a sub as it passes. Something like a background "whisper" will be an odd, scratchy font and it'll drift or fade away. It's pretty interesting, and works well with the movie.
nezumi
I think you got a different subbed version than mine!! Mine were wide screen subs on a normal screen movie, with lots of extra 'z's stuck here and there for color (plus typos, ugh).
mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
My pregnant wife has been having cravings for kung-fu...

my god, i must be pregnant!
nezumi
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (nezumi)

Oh, I'm so happy for you!! You and she can go out and pick frilly baby things together! I know this great gun store with the most gorgeous pink 1911...
Lindt
Somewhat related, as I believe its Belle in this clip...High Speed Chase

nezumi
That is precisely the video I meant earlier smile.gif Best clip of the movie, really.
James McMurray
Sweet. Looks lik a movie I'll have to check out once the english version comes out.
Witness
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jun 26 2006, 08:45 AM)

The subs are blended into the rest of the image well... people will be walking along talking with the subs streaming out behind them, or cars will provide a "wipe" for a sub as it passes. Something like a background "whisper" will be an odd, scratchy font and it'll drift or fade away. It's pretty interesting, and works well with the movie.

Yes that's the subtitling I was referring to, and I really liked it. There was no "gangsta'izing" in the version I watched! Thank god.
Kronk2
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 27 2006, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 26 2006, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (nezumi)

Oh, I'm so happy for you!! You and she can go out and pick frilly baby things together! I know this great gun store with the most gorgeous pink 1911...

You ask and the world delivers. Pink Grips for you Colt 1911

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....p?Item=79450891
mfb
holy threadomancy, batman.
Fortune
Pink grips are worth it. biggrin.gif
treehugger
Another good french "SR" style movie made by Luc Besson (one of his first movies actually) is Subway (with Christophe Lambert and Jean Reno).
Imdb link : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090095/
No magics, no cyber, no warfare, but for the feel of an underground life and sinless squatters, that movie is perfect.
I used that as a reference for the Orc Underground.
Lindt
Ya know, I feel as this was a justifiable raising of the dead. Pink Colt 1911 grips.
Irian
Thanks for the tip, Banlieu 13 is even available in german... It had to have some advantages to live so close to france smile.gif
treehugger
What about cheese and wine Irian ???
It must count for something smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012