Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Genesis
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Mister Juan
Before I get into the real matter of things, a little warning:

This is a rather new thing for me. Not Gming. But Gming in English. I’ve been thinking about trying my hand at it for quite some time, but I’ve always been chickening out of it. Today, while checking my good ol’ SR folders, I ended up on an old run I had picked up somewhere on the web. I ran it, about 4 years ago with my own gaming group and had tons of fun. I’d like to give credit to the person who actually wrote it, but he signed it no where.

Anyways, here’s the deal.

The game is SR4, with all the regular avail/BP rules. The only thing that is house ruled is the usual 2 X Charisma points for contacts.

The run is very much geared toward investigation and “puzzle solving”. It will start in seattle, but can easily take the PC in a few different countries/continents. There will probably be some combat, but it all depends on the group of players and characters I end up with. Since I tend to run my games around the characters involved in it, the game might take a bit of a different flavor depending on what submissions I get. This also means that I very much enjoy characters with a well thought out background. Good backgrounds and such will probably even get extra karma or goodies, since I am more interested in roleplay and rollplay wink.gif. If things go well, I could very well turn this thing in an actual campaign, so people interested in one shots, please don’t bother.

If you have any questions, don’t be shy about it. As I’ve said; this is going to be the first game I run on the boards… so it’s highly probable I’ve forgotten something.

You can go ahead and post concepts (and questions) in this thread. If/when you have your CS ready, PM me.

Oh yea, I’m looking for about 4 players.

Submissions so far (characters with a * are completed submissions; background+sheet:
*Vegas: A'ja Rose, Fixer-Face
Shadow: Gun (concept), Enforcer-Badass
Ophis: Prima (concept), Sammie
*adamu: Tad, Face-Adept-Corporate Negociator
Thanee: expressed interest ??
MK Ultra: (concept), Face-Detective
JackRipper: Sebastian Bene (concept, small background), Occult Investigator-Mage
BlackHat: Dual (background), Hacker
Cedric Rolfsson: Flicker (background), Street Mage
*September: Foxtrot, Surveillance Rigger
NeonWraith: (concept), Lightly cybered type with intellectual bias
*Rokur: Jack Spicer, Covert Ops-Sammie
BlueRondo: Carmen (background), Medic
*pragma: Bluejay, drone & surveillance rigger
Vegas
I'm so there! biggrin.gif

hopefulyl will have a char to you in the next couple of days.
Shadow
Can I use Gun? I would have to SR4 him, but that should be doable. The only sucky thing is that they don't have Dikote in SR4.
Mister Juan
Sure thing mate. Gun is just such a cool character wink.gif I'm not a 100% sure it would be his scene, but I'm convinced we can work something out.
For the Dikote, I'm sure we can figure something out.
Ophis
If I may, not sure on actual concept yet, maybe a face, maybe a light samurai.
adamu
Hello Mister Juan. My name is Adam, and I have an idea for a character.

In basic terms - he is a face. And he is an adept. But he is not a social adept.
His specialty is corporate negotiations, but his most recent gig was representing a ghoul community.

This is an idea I've been playing with in my head and on scratch paper for about two years now. Unfortunately, slammed at work this week, and don't know if I can find the two hours or so I will need to properly detail the backstory. What I will do is compose it as a PM, since I can save that and work on it little by little. I hope to have it to you for your consideration within a couple of days.
Thanee
About 4 means 5, right? wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
MK Ultra
I love puzzle solving and I´d like to submit a face/detective vaguely modeled after Lenny Nero (I love Strange Days), though his strange days would have been 9 years ago, during the comet hysteria (perfect setting for that story nyahnyah.gif).

What would be the deadline for submission and when do you intend to start the game?
Ophis
Hm given other suggestions I think I may bring Prima out to play. British Girlie samurai, built for high mobility. Some social ability. How do you feel about splitting skill groups in Character Gen?
JackRipper
I have an extreme amount of time on my hands thanks to a broken foot and that i'm only taking on line classes so, i have 3 concepts that i've been messing with (not much else to do with my time).

First one (not in particular order), is an Occult Investigator inspired byJohnny Depps character in the ninth gate.

second is a hacker

and the third is a street shaman

I hope one of them fits the bill but if not...sigh
BlackHat
Frigging Dumpshock. By the time I find these recruitment threads they are full-up. wink.gif Best of luck guys. Let me know if everyone dies.
Mister Juan
adamu- sounds interesting! Can't wait to see it.

Thanee- mmmmaaayyybeee wink.gif

MK- There aren't any deadline for the moment. I'll review characters as I get them and slowly start to fill up the spots.

Ophis- I'm not totaly sure what you mean about splitting skill groups.

JackRipper- Well, that depends on what you would most likely want to play. Any characters will fit.

BlackHat- Hey, if you've got any concepts, go ahead and post them. I haven't made any choices yet.
Cedric Rolfsson
If you're still accepting applications I'll throw my hat in the ring. I created a Street mage character for JackRippers thread which I decided against submitting. I'll put him in for this one.

[ Spoiler ]
Mister Juan
Cedric Rolfsson
Looks like an interesting character. If you have a full background and a character sheet, do send them my way.
JackRipper
Since Ced is putting in for a Magic user, i'll put in for hacker.
BlackHat
Worth posting then - though I'd like to difer to those players who beat me to the punch where appropriate (especially if there is a surplus of hacker-types)

I was thinking I would re-use my favorite character concept (played him once on Dumpshock but the thread faded away shortly after the meet).

"Dual"

What everyone knows (or would know, if they knew him, or would see, when they saw him, etc)

(Note: This description is of the character in everyday life, not necessarily mid-run - thus, no mention of sweet illegal equipment wink.gif)

Dual isn't very old, or, at least, he doesn't appear to be. He's in his early 20's, and his clean-shaven and scar-free appearance do not immediately suggest a life of crime and violence. He doesn't possess any obvious cyberware, and doesn't even have a datajack. The commlink he keeps clipped to his belt, is a simple-looking black Novatech Airware - nothing too fancy or expensive. He is usually dressed in stylish clothing, prefering darker colors, and has a black lined coat with the Roman numeral "two" in gray on the back.

In everyday life, Dual seems pretty normal to those around him, especially when he intends to blend in. However, when he's bored or idle a perceptive observer might notice that he often appears distracted by something - either looking away at something no one else can see, or moving his lips as if speaking (but making no sound). Sometimes his eyes seem empty, as if he's a million miles away, and other times they seem almost alive with energy, darting back and forth at the people around him.

Dual is a hacker, and that's the main role I expect him to fill. I hope he can hold his own as both a rigger and a gun-bunny, but that has yet to really be determined (what few drones he has are intended to aid his hacking), and his skill with pistols has a long way to go. He's going to be very into team tactics and organization (from his background in simulationed Shadowruns and VR games), but still very green in terms of actual experience.

When Shadowrunning (and able to bring his illegal gear), Dual wears a glossy black full-body suit, with gray trim along the shoulders, arms and legs, and a gray Roman numeral "two" on his back. On the inside of his forarms, two light-pistols (with attached silencers) are strapped to gun-slides. The outfit is complete when he pulls a glossy black mask over his face, or activates the suit's active-camo, and 360-degree visual sensors.

-----------

I have a background for him, that I will send out to MJ to see if its appropriate and I'll probably have to tweek up the character sheet because of some errors on my part that have been discovered since I made the original.

Some IC Examples from the game I originally played him in: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=11323
adamu
Okay, PMed you the concept. And here it is on the thread as well.

[ Spoiler ]

September
Is it worth tossing in a charecter concept, or are you full up?
MK Ultra
QUOTE (JackRipper)
Since Ced is putting in for a Magic user, i'll put in for hacker.

Too bad, that 'occulstigator' sounds like much fun (not that I like the 9th gate as much in that genre as I like strange days in this ;P).
NeonWraith
If there's still space, I'd be interested.

Thinking of a lightly cybered type with an intellectual bias..
Rokur
MJ running a game?

ooh.. if it's gonna be as colorful and flavorful as your normal RPing, I don't think there is a force in the world that can stop me from applying... gonna think of a concept/history to use....

leaning towards - Jack Spicer
Older man was once a British intelligence field agent. Never got along well with magic or technology, (Read: Magic resistance + Gremlins) and has gotten through life through his wits, cunning, and his own strength. Something of a street sam/ covert ops.
Mister Juan
I'm really liking all the concepts I'm seeing (and the backgrounds some have PMed me.)

To answer to the question "are you full yet", I haven't started to fill any positions for the run, yet, so all characters are still welcome. Once I feel like I have a good "pool" I'll trim it down to 4 or 5 PCs.

As I said, I'm the sort of GM who takes a good part of his inspiration out of the characters background; so the richer your PCs background, the more fun the game should be.

And as I've mentionned, if everything runs (no pun intended) smoothly, I'll turn the thing in a campaign.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Rokur)
ooh.. if it's gonna be as colorful and flavorful as your normal RPing, I don't think there is a force in the world that can stop me from applying...

All these high expectations are starting to make me nervous wink.gif
BlueRondo
I've never played a Shadowrun game online (and I've only played a couple of sessions in real life), so I have little idea of what to expect. I hope you don't object to an inexperienced gamer, because I've been waiting for an opportunity to get involved in a game here on Dumpshock, especially one that isn't very combat-oriented. The character I've been working on is a medic; hopefully, she'll make the cut.
Wounded Ronin
If you ever GM something in French let me know. I suppose I should practice my French.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
If you ever GM something in French let me know. I suppose I should practice my French.

I actually never thought about probing to see if anyone on DSF would be interested in a game ran in french. Maybe later wink.gif
September
I'm looking at making a surveillance rigger. Used to work for the FBI, then got sent to prison in a undercover operation gone wrong. Heavy emphasis on shadowing and surveillannce, but not particularly capable with electronics or mechanical things. He's kind of passive-aggressive - not likely to be particularly loud or forceful at the opening meet, but attached to planning and procedure and completely willing to whip a group of less-professional runners into working order.

Sound interesting?

P.S. I know some French! Vraiment!
Mister Juan
Very.
As I'm telling everyone, I haven't picked any characters yet because I am still waiting on everyone background. I'm actually going to pick the characters more on their background and concepts rather than their character sheets.

So, I'm still taking submissions until.... lets say... sunday afternoon. I'll then pick 4 or 5 characters which I think would work well with the story (and who would create a nice team dynamic).
Ophis
QUOTE (Mister Juan)

By that i mean are you okay with buying a skill group to a certain level, at skill group costs, then progressing a single skill within that group beyond that level.
NeonWraith
Well, having spent last night staring at the walls trying to get to sleep, I've now got a fair idea of the concept. He's a street samurai, but a classically educated ex corp/rich kid, and tends towards Holmes style logical deduction from observation.

Course, he's still wired to the gills nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jun 27 2006, 03:43 PM)

By that i mean are you okay with buying a skill group to a certain level, at skill group costs, then progressing a single skill within that group beyond that level.

Sure thing; I don't see why not.
Mister Juan
In case it might help for the background:
Twenty Questions

Background
1. Where and in what kind of environment did your character grow up?
2. What are your character’s relations with their family? (Does your character keep in touch? Where are they now?)
3. Does your character have an ethnic background? (Is it relevant to them?)

Appearance
4. What does your character look like?
5. What does your character dress like?
6. What are your character’s physical quirks?

Skills, attributes, resources
7. What did your character always want to be? (How did they go about getting this job/position/ability/image? Did they succeed?)
8. Where and how did your character learn their Active and Knowledge Skills?
9. Where and how did your character get their major equipment and ‘ware?
10. Where and in what kind of place does your character currently live?
11. Who are your character’s contacts? (How did they become contacts? Why do they still talk to your character?)
12. Who are your character’s enemies? (How did they become your character’s enemies?)
13. For Awakened characters, how did your character learn their magic? For non-Awakened characters, how does your character feel about magic?

Personality
14. What are your character’s personality quirks?
15. What are your character’s likes and dislikes?
16. What is your character’s moral code?
17. Does your character have personal beliefs?
18. What are your character’s personal motivations?

Running the shadows
19. Why does your character run the shadows?
20. What would make your character ever leave the shadows?

I've also updated the first post of the thread with the list of where everyone is so far.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Shadow)
Can I use Gun? I would have to SR4 him, but that should be doable. The only sucky thing is that they don't have Dikote in SR4.

I'll admit Dikote. Price is the same as M&M. Modification to the weapon are +1DV/-1AP
pragma
Tossing a rigger concept I've been knocking around for a while into the ring. I'm afraid I'm stepping on September's toes a little bit, but the guy's skill set can be tweaked to minimize overlap if necessary.

Details are spoilered below.

[ Spoiler ]
Ophis
Cool, I'll mail you the sheet in the next day or so.
Cedric Rolfsson
MJ Basic background for Flicker

[ Spoiler ]

Sorry for the long post, hopefully that will give you enough background to work with.

Cedric
MK Ultra
PMing my concept to you, now. The bg so far only consists of a timeline, but I´ll come around to answer the 20 questions.
Mister Juan
As of now, I won't be taking any new submissions for characters. I've started reviewing each submissions I got, even if they are just background, or simple concepts. I'll try to see what works well within the run, and I'll post of the list of the chosen 4 (or maybe 5) on this thread.
Mister Juan
First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who submitted a character. Everything I got was wonderful, and very solid, work. Took me quite some time to make my final decision. For now, the team will only consist of 4 characters. Thing is, if those 4 characters ever feel like they need some backup, or some help for a certain part of the run, I would very much like to get other players involved. And so, (for those who’s character hasn’t been picked) if you’d like to be put on the “backup” list, please say so.

Alright, enough yapping. Here’s the crew:
-A'ja Rose (Vegas)
-Gun (Shadow)
-Flicker (Cedric Rolfsson)
-Dual (BlackHat)

IC and OOC threads should be up this week.
adamu
Mister Juan, yes, thank you, I would like to be placed on the back-up list.
I hope everyone has a great run. Stay frosty. Adam.
pragma
I'd be willing to be backup. Have fun.
MK Ultra
Have fun, the beginning looks promissing!

Lenny probably won´t be needed, even if the team requires a 5th runner, as his skillset is most likely quiet redundand to Vegas´ PC. If they need a Lawyer or some additional social backup, however, just give Earl Geier a call and Lenny will come along wink.gif
September
Yeah, if they ever need Foxtrot for some reason, I'd be in. Have fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012