Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atheism in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
SirKodiak
That's a very cute argument, knasser. Obviously not proof, but it would be a very neat argument for a Christian character to make in the Shadowrun universe. I'm definitely going to have to remember it.
hyzmarca
I t is an incorrect arguement. Templars summon angels as do many other Christian magicians. Check out Threats 2.
ShadowDragon8685
And a satanist mage could summon up demons and devils, just like a shaman can summon up spirits of earth and air, and so forth and so on.

The shape your summons take is only indicative of your part6icular view. It does not mean you have called for and been sent an Angel to help you, it means you have wrested a spirit from the Astral, and it projects onto the world through the lens of your mind. Your mind, in this case, has little Angels printed all over it, so the spirit takes the shape you want it to.

It's no more and no less than that.

And here's the ultimate reason God does not exist. Given that God is infinate, and Omnipotent..

There would be no athiests and agnostics, because He would imprint on each and every one of us the overriding and unshakable truth that He exists. A back-water heathen with no religious training whatsoever would not be able to quote the Bible, but his belief that the Lord our God existed would be absoloute.

Since this is not the case, then we can safely rule out that possibility. If the jeuedo-Christian God does exist, then He is not omnipotent and absoloute. Why is this? I don't care. I simply do not care, it is enough for me that I do not believe He exists, and since I have seen nothing else that could convince me, I am left to the only conclusion that I can draw; there are no Gods, singular or plural, and life's only purpose is life itself.
ShadowDragon8685
Heh. Them's fightin' words I just posted. Ah well, my point stands. Don't bother arguing or trying to convert me, it'll just get a flame war started.

In any event, that's the argument I use against religion in 2006, and it'll be just as applicable in 2050, 2060, 2061, 2062, 2063, 2064, and 2070. Even moreso, because now the athiests will be able to point at all of those improbable things that previously they had to stretch to explain, and say "It was a spike."
emo samurai
And if God really believed in free will, Ge wouldn't punish people for not believing in him. And if He was perfect, he wouldn't give people free wil just so that their worship would mean more to him.
James McMurray
It does not mean you have called for and been sent an Angel to help you

Devout Christian summoner: "Prove it."

There would be no athiests and agnostics, because He would imprint on each and every one of us the overriding and unshakable truth that He exists.

Nah. For some reason he wants us to choose him. To attain that choice he offers carrots, sticks, and various religious texts. Just having ultimate power doesn't mean using it to satisfy your every whim.

Every parent has the oppostunity to "beat the sense" into a child, to lock their children in a closet to ensure they don't do wrong, and to gouge out their eyes and puncture their eardrums so they never hear anything Mommy and Daddy don't tell them via morse code on their arms. Just because they don't use it doesn't mean they don't exist and don't want to be loved.
emo samurai
But why would a perfect being give us free will for any reason other than the desire to see us free? For God to go all Paradise Lost on us seems very selfish and imperfect of Him.

I have officially grenaded this discussion; I don't know whether to be horrified at myself or to be very, very happy.
ShadowDragon8685
Devout Christian summoner: "Prove it."

*burns Edge to summon up a Great Form Force 9 Air Elemental.*

"Pokemon duel! If yours is an Angel, this Air elemental should stand no chance whatsoever against Divine Fury. Ready? Fight!!"

*GFF9 AE proceeds to lay down a can of whoop ass.*
emo samurai
Dude, oppression makes belief stronger.

Durr, God is testing me.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (emo samurai)
But why would a perfect being give us free will for any reason other than the desire to see us free? For God to go all Paradise Lost on us seems very selfish and imperfect of Him.

Arguments regarding any apparent illogic in God's actions ultimately don't work, because a believer can always claim that we are not wise enough to infer God's plans or reasons, nor are we meant to. 'We', in this case, refers to all mankind, not just Dumpshock posters wink.gif

It is not necessary for a Christian to give a logical motivation for every action attributed to God for their belief to be solid. Apparent illogic is not surprising when examining the actions of someone with greater knowledge and faculties than ourselves.
James McMurray
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
*burns Edge to summon up a Great Form Force 9 Air Elemental.*

Devout christian points out that you can only spend Edge in 4th edition and that great form elementals do no exist in 4th edition. The paradox backlash hurtles ShadowDragon into White Wolf's Mage: The Ascension where you can do stuff that creates paradoxes.

The Christian then summons an Angel*, who bellows out "Winner and still champeeeeeen.... Christianity!!!" Hordes of onlooking cherubs** cheer madly.

* a.k.a. Spirit of Man
** a.k.a. Watcher spirits
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
I don't recall a Christian mage summoning a spirit in the form of an angel. I don't recall any Christian mages going to the "Heaven" metaplane to commune with God or having Gabriel as a mentor spirit. The very absence of Christian beliefs manifesting in this way suggests something is very seriously up with this. I.e. there must be some force preventing it. I would propose that this is God.

QUOTE (MitS page 25)
...certain Catholics may treat various patron saints as idols... Some shamans have been known to speak in tongues or summon spirits of man that take on angelic forms.

QUOTE (Threats 2 page 107)
All members of a Patronage have accepted an Archangel as their patron...

QUOTE (Threats 2 page 108)
The conjuration of angels is much more involved. ...When the angel does arrive, its appearance is determined by the Archangel it serves.

there's quite a bit more; these are simply the quotes that struck me as being the most relevant. there are several very strong Christian magical traditions, who do indeed employ Christian symbolism and practices.

QUOTE (Shadowdragon8685)
And here's the ultimate reason God does not exist. Given that God is infinate, and Omnipotent..

There would be no athiests and agnostics, because He would imprint on each and every one of us the overriding and unshakable truth that He exists. A back-water heathen with no religious training whatsoever would not be able to quote the Bible, but his belief that the Lord our God existed would be absoloute.

uh, your A in no way leads to your B. U LOGIC: UNCONVINCIN'

just because someone has the power to do something--and, according to the Bible, YHWH does have the power to change men's hearts, as he did to Pharaoh when Moses was pleading for the release of the Tribes--doesn't mean that they will do something. i keep a knife in my backpack; that gives me the power to walk down the street stabbing people. most days, i don't do that.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (mfb)
I keep a knife in my backpack; that gives me the power to walk down the street stabbing people. Most days, I don't do that.

Emphasis mine. eek.gif
mfb
everybody makes mistakes! DON'T JUDGE ME!

at any rate, as i said, your logic is flawed. you don't take into account the infinite number of possibilities for why YHWH wouldn't use his omnipotent power to force everyone to worship him. to me, any attempt to divine the most likely course of action that an omnipotent, omniscient being might take is doomed to failure from the outset. how are you going to get into the mind of a being that purportedly knows everything?
Demon_Bob
Does a Spirit take on the form that the summoner believes that it should have or does the viewer see the spirit in the form that she thinks that it should posses?
James McMurray
The spirit's form frequently conforms to what the summoner believes.
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jul 9 2006, 05:07 PM)
Dude, oppression makes belief stronger.

Durr, God is testing me.

Please don't make fun of me, Emo. frown.gif
emo samurai
Dude, you've never summoned an angel and had it beaten by a great form air spirit. That did not target you in any way.
Kyoto Kid
...sweet Jebus, help me.

H. Simpson
knasser

Hmmm. Well I had never read Threats 2 so I was unaware of that. I'd skip it in my game as it confirms that spirits are derived from the summoner's pre-conceptions and I don't want that confirmed in my game. I like to play spirits as independent entities. Secondly, it can be quite offensive to many people's own beliefs. And though I'm able to see it for the fictional-game it is, to a very little extent that includes me. For the record I do believe in God, or Allah if you like, though my beliefs are very personal to me and so at odds with mainstream religion that I'd probably get stoned in some parts of the world. I'm closer to Sufism or Gnostic Christianity than any mainstream religion. Two sects that are regarded as heretical by their parent religions. Actually that's not accurate. In both gnosticism and sufism, these are closest to their respective religions in their original forms whilst the major streams of Christianity or Islam are the ones that have actually branched / evolved. Not saying either is wrong or right though.

This has gone beyond Shadowrun now, as I've gone into my personal beliefs. I'm okay with that. I think the standard of debate and maturity on these boards is pretty high so I don't expect lots of "d00d, my elemental can pwn ur g0d" but I'm not going to be offended by people telling me they disagree with my faith or (preferably politely) think that it's nonsense.

Regarding the question of God "going all Paradise Lost on us" (which I've read, by the way, and love), I don't personally believe that. I identify far more with the Devil in that book than I do with the nauseating Almighty and his sugar-sweet Son. I don't believe in a God that would punish someone for beigin ignorant of him or choosing not to believe when no evidence had been provided. Sin has a basis in logic and is its own punishment. It requires no outside agency or father-figure.

Incidentally, the Hebrew book of Genesis does refer to God as plural (elohim, I think) and I'm pretty sure I learned once, that the hebrew name of God is actually without plural or singular form, or rather it has both, which is interesting.

-K.

Btw. If anyone hasn't read Paradise Lost, you should. If for no other reason than it's the ultimate source of quotes for bad guys. smile.gif I used to have mounted on my wall two lines from that book:

"Let him surer bar his iron gates, if He would have me stay in that dark durance."

Basically, Lucifer telling Uriel you can't keep him in Hell. smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
I'd skip it in my game as it confirms that spirits are derived from the summoner's pre-conceptions and I don't want that confirmed in my game.

eh? how does it confirm that? it's just as possible that they really are angels, sent by the Christian god to succor his saints. this is possible whether you consider YHWH in SR to be an honest-to-god deity (heh), or just another totem. i don't see that anything is confirmed by the ruleset.

and while it's true that some people might get offended by the game's portrayal of Christianity, it's also true that some people might get offended by the game's portrayal of Islam, Native American spiritualism, Aesir-worship, voodoun, and any number of other real-world systems of worship--none of which are accurately portrayed in SR. the only reason Christianity is generally avoided--in both SR and in other RPGs--is the whole stigma about 'devil worship' stemming from Jack Chick and the bad press D&D got in the 70s and 80s.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
it's also true that some people might get offended by the game's portrayal of ... Native American spiritualism

You rang?
Kyoto Kid
...in the words of Kurt Vonnegut, "it's all a pack of foma"

...no damn cat

...no damn cradle.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (mfb)
i can see Platinum's point. having grown up in a church and attended a Christian college, though, i saw a lot of people who spent--i think--way too much time arguing about whether the world is 6,000 or 8,000 years old, and way too little time preaching and practicing the actual tenants of the faith, y'know?

No argument with that...but that's not because people are religious, it's because people are people.

You'd have the same experiences exposed to economics experts or lawyers (or *shudder* politicians.)
John Campbell
Or Dumpshockers.

You know you all spend way too much time arguing about whether the world should use SR3 or SR4 rules, and way too little playing the actual game.
James McMurray
Burn the heretic!
Platinum
It's funny some of the things that you manage to come across at the exact right time.
http://www.errantstory.com/archive.php?date=2003-01-08

James will have a response tonight ... busy at work today.
knasser
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 10 2006, 01:37 AM)

eh? how does it confirm that? it's just as possible that they really are angels, sent by the Christian god to succor his saints. this is possible whether you consider YHWH in SR to be an honest-to-god deity (heh), or just another totem. i don't see that anything is confirmed by the ruleset.

Well it confirms it in two ways. Both have counters, but both counters have ramifications.

Firstly it confirms it in that the "angels" or whatever are perfectly likely to be defeated by a higher force elemental or whatever. This implies to me that they are not really agents of an Almighty God, Creator of everything when you see them getting pulped. You can say that they are such spirits which then implies that God either isn't almighty or even close to it, or that he does things half-heartedly, sending agents that may or may not be up to the task... which again brings us back to the lack of omnipitence. Basically, any thwarting of God's attempt to do something calls into question God's authority. If a worshipper is defeated in something, you have some leeway, but direct messengers of God is cutting it really fragging fine, yes?

Secondly, the strength of the spirit (or even the magic), is clearly related to the skill and power of the magician. In a Christian worldview, you'd more expect the aid provided by God to be based on what God wanted to happen, or His chosen outcome. I.e. The manifestation is according to God's will, not the magician's. So again it implies that the summoner is the active force in all this. You can make a counter to this that God allocates people a credit rating of what level of help they deserve, but again this fits uneasily with the Christian worldview and if you're having to alter the beliefs of the religion to
fit the effects, then you can't really say it is still the real world religion.

The meta reasons for all this is that any attempt to put an all-powerful and morally active force into a game that is built around even balancing of power breaks one of the other. Hence I resolve the issue by ommitting it entirely. As I said, it is very easy to offend people by putting these things into a role-playing game. The game works well enough for me with hermetic priests directing fire elementals, should I need them to.
Birdy
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
So one day God is getting bored. He doesn't like the fact that so many people don't worship him so he decides to go down to Earth and Materialize on the Stage at an Atheist's convention. He knocks the highly-paid guest speaker away from the podium and declare into the microphone. "I am the LORD your God, dumbasses. Bow and worship me." An Atheist in the front row stands up and challanges Him. "If you're God then prove it." God replies, "Why don't I prove that my foot is stuck up your ass."

Many people suggest that the burden of proof should be on God to prove his existance. The big problem is that God can't prove his existance. In order for God to do so he would have to prove that he isn't the infinite number of other things that he could be. Singe human perceptions are limited we cannot comprehend infinity. So, if God does exist there is no way we would ever know without guessing.

Which is why diehard Atheists are about as insane as religious fundamentalists.

The non-existing higher beings "problem" is, that unless it proves it's existance, it's non-existance is proven. To quote Blaise Pascal: "In my long years of studying the sciences I never found it necessary to use a constant named God". The world works nicely (and IMHO FAAAR better) without any "higher" beings. So if they do not proof their existance, nature and science proof they don't exists simply by not needing them.

knasser
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 10 2006, 02:09 PM)

The non-existing higher beings "problem" is, that unless it proves it's existance, it's non-existance is proven. To quote Blaise Pascal: "In my long years of studying the sciences I never found it necessary to use a constant named God". The world works nicely (and IMHO FAAAR better) without any "higher" beings. So if they do not proof their existance, nature and science proof they don't exists simply by not needing them.

Your quoting Pascal in your defense of atheism? This is the guy famous for "Pascal's Wager" i.e. the value of believing in God is always greater than the value of not believing in God?

Heh!

Now to address your argument, absence of proof is not proof of absence. Now I expect you know this as your argument seems to be that the belief in God is not necessary or useful. However, you must acknowledge that the majority of people on this planet disagree.

Of course, you will likely respond with example such as how the majority of people used to believe the World was flat. Which brings us back to the issue of proof. You can't argue against the utility of the belief when billions of people do find the belief a positive thing and you yourself don't offer any proof against the existence of God.

Now you took this subject way off the original topic and also off the subject of Shadowrun. I'm responding in kind, but if this gets flamey I'm just going to say goodnight on the whole thread. It's not worth anyone falling out over and I'd like to point out that I'm utterly okay with anyone being strongly atheistic so long as they are tolerant of those who hold different beliefs.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 10 2006, 01:37 AM)

Well it confirms it in two ways. Both have counters, but both counters have ramifications.

Firstly it confirms it in that the "angels" or whatever are perfectly likely to be defeated by a higher force elemental or whatever. This implies to me that they are not really agents of an Almighty God, Creator of everything when you see them getting pulped. You can say that they are such spirits which then implies that God either isn't almighty or even close to it, or that he does things half-heartedly, sending agents that may or may not be up to the task... which again brings us back to the lack of omnipitence. Basically, any thwarting of God's attempt to do something calls into question God's authority. If a worshipper is defeated in something, you have some leeway, but direct messengers of God is cutting it really fragging fine, yes?

Secondly, the strength of the spirit (or even the magic), is clearly related to the skill and power of the magician. In a Christian worldview, you'd more expect the aid provided by God to be based on what God wanted to happen, or His chosen outcome. I.e. The manifestation is according to God's will, not the magician's. So again it implies that the summoner is the active force in all this. You can make a counter to this that God allocates people a credit rating of what level of help they deserve, but again this fits uneasily with the Christian worldview and if you're having to alter the beliefs of the religion to
fit the effects, then you can't really say it is still the real world religion.

This assumes an active God rather than a passive one. Most current Christian reasonable theories favor the Watchmaker interpretation. God created the universe, angels, man, and crap and then he basically took a hands-off approach because that is the most benevolent approach to take. Imagine, for example, a soccer game where the referees changed the rules ever few minutes at a whim. Sometimes your allowed to use your hands and not allowed to use your feet. Sometimes one goal is yours and sometimes it is the other teams. Sometimes both goals score for one team or the other. And you don't know exactly when an how all these changes take place. It would be chaos.
Angels then are not sent by God, they are summoned by the individual according to natural rules that God set forth.

Another explanation is the Pantheistic one. This is far more palpable and aligns very well to Biblical history, if not current Christian belief. YHWH kicks ass for the Hebrews but it isn't the only god out there. Conflicts between two omnipotent beings are never pretty so that have to limit themselves and their agents to avoid some very bad things.

Yes, absence of proof is not proof of absence. By definition, God is beyond human comprehension. The only logically valid arguments relating to it are arguments from ignorance since we actually are ignorant and cannot be anything other than ignorant. One simply cannot make a valid proof one way or the other. Attempts to do either simply result in crazy circular logic. Honestly, faith and logic should stay out of each other's way. Both are best applied to specific areas are they really mess things up when they step on each other's toes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (knasser)
Your quoting Pascal in your defense of atheism? This is the guy famous for "Pascal's Wager" i.e. the value of believing in God is always greater than the value of not believing in God?

Weeell, based on what tends to happen when someone defends their faith with Pascal's Wager in religion-related threads, I'd say currently it works much better as an argument against most forms of theism.

The only thing that proves, however, is that Pascal wasn't very bright.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
Firstly it confirms it in that the "angels" or whatever are perfectly likely to be defeated by a higher force elemental or whatever.

this can be refuted by the adage "God works in mysterious ways." the argument hinges on the idea that the arguer knows what YHWH wants to have happen--that he wants his angels to win every time he sends them down. who knows what outcome an omnipotent, omniscient being would want?

QUOTE (knasser)
Secondly, the strength of the spirit (or even the magic), is clearly related to the skill and power of the magician. In a Christian worldview, you'd more expect the aid provided by God to be based on what God wanted to happen, or His chosen outcome.

the same argument applies here, in part--it assumes that the outcome YHWH desires isn't whatever outcome his worshippers are able to effect. i'm not saying that the Watchmaker paradigm is the 'correct' view, i'm just saying that it's a possibility which the known information does not dispute.

this argument also hinges on the idea that the Bible explains anything more than the tenants and history of the faith. from what i've read--and i've been force-fed a lot of Biblical knowledge--the Bible never claims to be a science textbook. even if everything in it is factually true, the events may not ever be reproducible or provable. this also applies to the supernatural, even the divinely supernatural: just because the Bible says God parted the Red Sea doesn't mean that Moses wasn't a grade 12 initiate. the Bible doesn't ever explain how YHWH does things, so SR's magic system is as good an explanation as any other.

QUOTE (knasser)
The meta reasons for all this is that any attempt to put an all-powerful and morally active force into a game that is built around even balancing of power breaks one of the other.

well, granted. i don't see the need to make Christianity all-powerful, though. every other religion in SR's world has been wrong about the particulars of the supernatural; why not Christianity? if the answer is "it might offend someone", well, there are a lot of things in SR that people can (and have) taken offense to (exhibit A: California).

if it's a problem in your game, or you worry that it might be, i perfeclty understand. once my game hits 2070, i'm going to avoid any discussion of technomancers for much the same reason.
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, you've never summoned an angel and had it beaten by a great form air spirit. That did not target you in any way.

The comment may not have been targeted specifically at me, but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t do collateral damage. To me, the comment implied that those who believe that God tests them are stupid, and because I happen to believe that God tests me (as He tests us all), I fall under that purview.

Back on the topic of SR, I’m surprised that nobody’s mentioned In Imago Dei in this thread yet. In Imago Dei, of course, is Pope John XXV’s 2024 encyclical outlining the Catholic Church’s doctrine on metahumans and magic. According to the Sixth World Wiki, the encyclical states that:

• Metahumans are possessed of souls and capable of salvation. Discrimination against metahumans is not Christian.

• Magical abilities are not, by nature, evil. Rather, like any other human ability, they may be used for good or evil.

• Spirits are living manifestations of nature. Thus, conjuring is not in itself evil. However, Conjuring touches on so many questions of faith and doctrine that Catholics may not practice it without specific permission from the Church, to be only used by clergy under unique circumstances.

Source
Of course, this is just the Catholic position, so that doesn’t mean that all Protestant or Orthodox Christians would agree with this, but I think it’s reasonable to presume that all but the most conservative Christians would agree with this doctrine. Hope this clarifies things, such as how spirits are not considered angels and stuff. smile.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 10 2006, 02:09 PM)

Heh!

Now to address your argument, absence of proof is not proof of absence. Now I expect you know this as your argument seems to be that the belief in God is not necessary or useful. However, you must acknowledge that the majority of people on this planet disagree.

Of course, you will likely respond with example such as how the majority of people used to believe the World was flat. Which brings us back to the issue of proof. You can't argue against the utility of the belief when billions of people do find the belief a positive thing and you yourself don't offer any proof against the existence of God.

Now you took this subject way off the original topic and also off the subject of Shadowrun. I'm responding in kind, but if this gets flamey I'm just going to say goodnight on the whole thread. It's not worth anyone falling out over and I'd like to point out that I'm utterly okay with anyone being strongly atheistic so long as they are tolerant of those who hold different beliefs.

Old russian yoke:

Two men meet in the TransSib, one reading a bible(b), one the Communist Manifest©.

C: You are a Christian?
b: Believing but not practicing. And you, a communist?
C: Practicing but not believing

Pascals treatesie is on the benefits of "believ" as opposed to existence. He states that "If there's a god, you are better off believing. If there's none, it won't hurt"

As for the rest: Believing in something does NOT proof it exists and while religion might by "opium for the people" and possibly helpful(1) this has nothing to do with the existence of a higher being. It has to do with group feelings and mass euphoria/histeria. Bagwan, Heavens Gate, Jim Jones "Peoples Temple" or the Colonia Natividad all are religions that made their members "happy" and had lots of dedicated believers(2). So did quite a few political movements (KPdSU, NSDAP etc). Does not proof anything.

As for my tolerance: I have little to none. My prefered treatment for the church in general and the Roman in special would be the Bismark way: Confiscate and suppress!

As for taking this off topic: The original question was "How does an atheist defend it's believes in 2070 given miracles and all" I answered that in the context. Others took it from there and I answered.

(1) Otoh the church has a rather dark side as shown i.e by the various Paderasts it harbours and often shields.

(2) Otherwise one would see through the facade
James McMurray
The comment may not have been targeted specifically at me, but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t do collateral damage. To me, the comment implied that those who believe that God tests them are stupid, and because I happen to believe that God tests me (as He tests us all), I fall under that purview.

I took the "durr" to be an insult to the person he's talking to, as in "Duh, you moron, don't you know that God tests us all." Not "Durr, only morons think that God tests us all."

I'm no mind reader though, so that's just my interpretation.
FanGirl
Oh. See, I took it as being like "durr" as a rough equivalent of "I ride the special short bus!" Now I see that I propably misinterpreted.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Angels then are not sent by God, they are summoned by the individual according to natural rules that God set forth.

Which is what I was saying in my post - in Christian, Islamic and Judaic belief, angels are very definitely the messengers of God. The very foundation of Islam is that an archangel bore a message for mankind from God as an agent of His will. You can put a lot of what if's into a religion to make it fit into the game, but the point I have made is that it is no longer the real world religious bellief.

QUOTE (Birdy)
As for my tolerance: I have little to none. My prefered treatment for the church in general and the Roman in special would be the Bismark way: Confiscate and suppress!

Now that's the attitude that will turn this thread into the flamewar we've all been treading carefully around. Respect for other people's beliefs is critical. Without it, intolerance leads to conflict.
James McMurray
I like Babylon 5's view of Angels. The Vorlons came to earth millenia ago and became a part of our legends. One of the main characters postulates that they did it to condition us to accept them as saviors when they finally revealed themselves, but of course the Vorlons never confirmed or denied it (or even heard about it).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 10 2006, 03:38 PM)

Which is what I was saying in my post - in Christian, Islamic and Judaic belief, angels are very definitely the messengers of God. The very foundation of Islam is that an archangel bore a message for mankind from God as an agent of His will. You can put a lot of what if's into a religion to make it fit into the game, but the point I have made is that it is no longer the real world religious bellief.

There exists a Set A and a Set B

Set A contains all Angels.
Set B contains all Messengers of God.

Set A contains Michael
Set B contains Michael

Set A does not contain Moses
Set B does contain Moses

Set A contains Lucifer
Set B does not contain Lucifer

It is quite possible that there are many bored angels who are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for something to do.
FanGirl
Perhaps I should draw attention to my post about In Imago Dei again. Now, if Pope John XXV wanted to establish that spirits are meant to be understood as angels, he most likely would have written something like "Spirits are angels," and not "Spirits are living manifestations of nature." Therefore, I'm pretty sure that spirits are not considered to be angels in Catholic doctrine, and that the same is most likely true in Orthodox and (most of the) Protestant doctrines.
mfb
while that's true, i'd like to point out for the sake of clarity that it doesn't necessarily mean that Catholic magicians can't summon spirits and call them angels. they would simply be creating a false division between angels and spirits, the way psionicists create a false division between magic and psionics.

in other words, a Catholic mage might summon up a spirit of man and call it an angel. his Badger shaman chess partner might summon up a spirit of man, and the Catholic would call it a spirit. the Catholic would view them as being completely different types of entities, despite their similarities.
Glyph
It would probably tend to be the more whacky denominations that would go the shamanic route and summon "angels" and "miracles", while most other Christians would far likelier be hermetics, and view the former with great skepticism (if not contempt). They would generally not accept some crazy shaman's spirit as being a real "angel". The angels in the Bible are pretty hard to mistake for anything else - they're terrifying. Ever notice the the first thing that nearly any angel says after revealing itself is "Fear not" or the equivalent?

I doubt that the awakening would have any conclusive affect on religious debate, although keep in mind, for your game world, that not everyone in that game world will know all of the facts about magic. You will have smug, ignorant people on both sides claiming that the awakening proves/disproves religion.
mfb
the shamanistic vs hermetic split, in Christianity, is partly true. but it's also true that there are both hermetic and shamanistic Catholics in SR.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

There exists a Set A and a Set B

Set A contains all Angels.
Set B contains all Messengers of God.

Set A contains Michael
Set B contains Michael

Set A does not contain Moses
Set B does contain Moses

Set A contains Lucifer
Set B does not contain Lucifer

What's with the noddy-talk? The concept isn't difficult. What I've said is that the concept is at odds with the actual religion. Christianity and Islam do not have the notion of "angels with thumbs up their asses."

In these religions, angels are the messengers and agents of God. Should one appear, then it is as an agent of God's will. Hence the twofold problem I mentioned originally. Making angels into SR spirits demolishes the notion of an omnipotent God. Having these messengers' power accord to the summoner's skill rather than God's will indicates a human origin or influence.

You might get away with the worshippers being defeated. You can't get away with the direct agents of God being beaten up. That indicates either lack of omnipotence or half-hearted action on the part of God.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
You can't get away with the direct agents of God being beaten up. That indicates either lack of omnipotence or half-hearted action on the part of God.

or, as i mentioned before, an incomplete understanding of the plan that YHWH/Allah has in mind.
FanGirl
Man, and I thought that canon evidence I cited on how spirits are viewed in SR's Christianity would help resolve the question on how spirits are viewed in SR's Christianity, but it's just made things more complicated. frown.gif

*sigh* I feel so ignored. And depressed. And stabby. mad.gif

However, I might just make a Sylvestrine as an intellectual exercise for my dedicated character thread in the SR4 forum. He won't have any skills or qualities that aren't plausible for a member of the clergy to have, but I hope you will like him anyway. smile.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fangirl)

*sigh* I feel so ignored. And depressed. And stabby.

The Pope is the Antichrist. Jack Chick said so. Obviously, In Imago Dei is a giant lie to seduce people into performing Satanic magic that will cause them to go to hell.

It isn't that we're ignoring you, Fangirl, it's that there are many denomations and factions that don't accept that particular declaration. The Templars, for example.
mfb
indeed. Catholicism is not the only version of Christianity out there--and not even everyone who calls themselves Catholic agrees with it.
SL James
Especially the branches of Catholicism that broke off from Rome - you know, in Westphalia, Ireland (officially), Aztlan (officially), Euskal Herria, Spain (for all intents and purposes when it comes to magic), as well as probably not a few splinter groups that would exist in North America, Asia, Eastern Rite, and the rest of the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012