Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you like to live in the SR universe?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FanGirl
Touche. mad.gif

*Skulks off, muttering angrily to herself*
emo samurai
Come baaaack!!!
SL James
QUOTE (Merlyn @ Jul 22 2006, 08:47 AM)
1) For the vast majority of people in the SR world, life is no more dangerous than it is now.

Imagine you are 21, just out of university (or college for our colonial cousins  smile.gif ) and looking for a job. A mega-corp approaches you and offers you a job. What do you say? You say yes. Why? Because that is the what you do. You get a job, you work and, hopefully enjoy life. How is that different to now?

You know, if you're going to say "the vast majority of the people in X world" try not not treat the vast majority of the world like it's the American middle-class.

The vast majority of the world in SR is, as far as I can tell, treated as even more disposable than today (which is saying something) to the point where there are global entities which could (and do) use people as skillchipped/personafixed drones doing rote work while a global organlegging network exists. There are old, new, and magical diseases still killing off people with regularity. Civil society as it exists today is a fucking myth. There are sentient creatures which feed on people, hunting on the most disposable and powerless. There are spirits which feed off people. Corporations and governments have (although apparently this has changed in RH) found it politically and economically useful to maintain a permanent underclass in even the most properous cities in the world. Human life is so disposable that bloodsports are global entertainment and there is a network called The Battle Channel that does quite well, and people can slot snuff clips as someone killing or being killed for the explicit entertainment of the end-user. Small arms and light weapons are more prolific and widely-used in Shadowrun in conflicts ranging from street gang warfare in the slums to all out wars, and terrorism is more rampant than one can possibly imagine (compared to now, the last fifteen years have been a fucking JOKE. A single act of terrorism in SR took more lives than pretty much every act since 1990, 10 times as many people were killed than on 9/11) and have involved mass casualty terrorism utilizing WMDs to the point where they are suggested as being commonplace (SOTA64. Behind the Badge). See also, the Munich VITAS attack, Crash 2.0. The environment can kill people more easily, and does so regularly to the point where the Ring of Fire caused more casualties than can ever be accurately counted. There are deadlier animals. There are toxic zones which have eaten up huge swaths of England and even wiped an entire nation off the face of the Earth while some other threats limit themselves to taking over city-sized areas like the CZ and Renraku Arcology.

Yeah. Life for the vast majority of people seems exactly the same as today.

[Edit]
Actually, life for the vast majority is the same at its base fundamental that they will likely be poor, illiterate, malnourished, and caught up in either violence or plague that will end their lives long before the average person living in the first world. In Shadowrun, there are simply more opportunities in which you can die living a nasty, brutish and short life without meaning.

The first-worlders will still have faith without direction, comfort without need, security without freedom, and just as their companions in the vast majority- life without meaning.
mfb
haha, good point. i do wonder how much life has changed for the actual vast majority of the world, in SR--the guys who, right now, spend their days building mud huts and cleaning their AK-47s.

as for first worlders, it's true that the vast majority of them won't die horribly, either in SR or real life. however, 'vast majority' isn't what you'd call a precise term of measurement. a hundred dollars is a lot of money. a million dollars is also a lot of money. that doesn't mean there's no difference between them. likewise, we could say that 60% of SR's first world--the vast majority--will live a relatively trouble-free life. we could say that 90% of the real life first world--also the vast majority--will live a relatively trouble-free life. the numbers are, obviously, bullshit, but they serve to make my point. if i were a betting man, though, and i had to choose between a 60% chance of success and a 90% chance of success, i know what i'd choose.
Birdy
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Cool. Obviously a lot of people disagree with your interpretation of Tolkien, but that's what those pesky human rights are for: to stop us from burning heretics at the stake. wink.gif

And a majority of people never read him. Even a majority of people in the first world did not.
Nidhogg
Oh come on, there are undiscovered pygmy tribes off the coast of New Zealand that read Tolkien.
Grinder
QUOTE (Birdy)
And a majority of people never read him. Even a majority of people in the first world did not.

And we're proud of it!
SL James
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 25 2006, 02:38 AM)
a hundred dollars is a lot of money. a million dollars is also a lot of money.

But fifteen million dollars is not money. It's a motive with a universal adaptor on it.

QUOTE (mfb)
likewise, we could say that 60% of SR's first world--the vast majority--will live a relatively trouble-free life.

But at the cost of pretty much every shred of freedom, privacy, self-respect-basically one's soul. It is a faustian bargain one makes, because the alternative is simply not worth the benefits of possessing the occassional bit of free will and soul.

IRL, the benefit may be worth it to drop out or try to pursue a new path. Most of the latter in SR seem to be rare and treated as pets by those with power. But the faustian bargain isn't as costly as it seems to be in SR.
mfb
indeed. and that's a deterrent to me... but not to a lot of others in the discussion.
James McMurray
life without meaning.

Speak for yourself. I personally am not a broken down shell of a hate filled man, and my life holds lots of meaning. smile.gif

Then obviously they'll neither agree nor disagree with someone's opinions of whether they liked the books or not. smile.gif

60% of SR's first world--the vast majority

I don't think 60% constitutes a "vast" majority. It's not a term that's relly defined, but I assume it to mean at least 80%.
mfb
that depends on what constitutes the other 40%. if it's unified--40% of the people like apples, and 60% do not--then, yeah, 60% != vast majority. if it's not--5% die in the Arcology, 7% bear permanent, horrible psychological scars from the Arco, 10% die in random gang violence, 8% die in Chicago, 2% survive Chicago but lose everything they've ever owned, 3% die in the Sears Tower bombing, 5% die from being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a run, and 60% never encounter anything bad at all--then 60% is very much a vast majority.

not that 60% is a meaningful number anyway. it could be 80% and 85%. or 20% and 99%. as there aren't any exact figures, percentages are basically meaningless--as i said, i made 'em up as stand-ins because examples, even made-up ones, make explanations easier to understand.
Birdy
QUOTE (James McMurray)
life without meaning.

Speak for yourself. I personally am not a broken down shell of a hate filled man, and my life holds lots of meaning. smile.gif

Then obviously they'll neither agree nor disagree with someone's opinions of whether they liked the books or not. smile.gif

60% of SR's first world--the vast majority

I don't think 60% constitutes a "vast" majority. It's not a term that's relly defined, but I assume it to mean at least 80%.

In general it takes me a short look on the back page or a browse through 2-3 pages to discard or buy a book. So I'd say at least some DID form an option.

Others like my cousin where dragged into film one by some Tolkien-Fanatics and left halfway through swearing never to touch anything from that author.

You don't need to read through a book to find out it's bad or good.
mfb
okay, so two people think Tolkien is a hack. yay. back to the topic at hand, now?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (mfb)
okay, so two people think Tolkien is a hack. yay. back to the topic at hand, now?

No, they need to find the third to be trilogy complete. Or maybe a fourth to create an anti-Tolkien pop-band.
James McMurray
They need 3 really cool guys for the trilogy and a 4th shorter, more light-hearted and childlike one for a prequel. wink.gif
mfb
and possibly a tie-in for a ballad by Leonard Nimoy.
James McMurray

and possibly a tie-in for a ballad by Leonard Nimoy.

Yes young Skywalker. Feel the pull of the Dark Side.
mfb
whoah, whoah. i thought it was understood by everyone that any mention of Leonard Nimoy's forays into the realm of music is, by default, not intended to further any conversation, but to utterly destroy all those involved in the conversation--along with their friends, relatives, pets, people they've passed on the street, stars in the night sky that they've glanced at, alien civilizations in far dimensions which are wholly unrelated to anyone involved, etcetera.
James McMurray
Only if you play the actual songs.
Moon-Hawk
Great. Thank you. Wonderful. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head. Now I have to go listen to the "Banana phone" song, because it's the only song virulent enough to have a chance of driving the other one out. (rather like exorsizing a demon by infecting the host with ebola)
SL James
Moving on, folks.

On top of everything else, I was thinking about it and, uh... I really don't like the idea of getting owned by any sort of adepts, but specifically social adepts. They'd run roughshof over the squares.
torzzzzz
Looking at the slating Tolkin has had you have to remember that if like I, you have actually read the books you will know that the 2nd and 3rd film are lies and they have changed the book, don't get me started on what they did to it.

Going on the fact that the SR world would be more dangerous I think not, you would still have fundamentalists and war and disease and famine ect, humanity reacts to its environment.

In the here and now we have ever increasing technology when it comes to weapons and still the world is relatively stable (apart form the middle east and well, thats always been like that)

I think that with our present society we are growing out of control and eventually we well destroy our own society and so the cycle will begin again. What is there to say this wont happen in the SR universe?

But I tell you one thing I will be there having a dam good time if I could, even for one day live in the SR universe coz it would be what ever was in my head!

torz x smile.gif
emo samurai
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Great. Thank you. Wonderful. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head. Now I have to go listen to the "Banana phone" song, because it's the only song virulent enough to have a chance of driving the other one out. (rather like exorsizing a demon by infecting the host with ebola)

I don't know; I'm sure there're a few demons who'd dig internal bleeding.
PBTHHHHT
So Shadowrun world... we also have to bring in Earthdawn stuff and the eventual return of the Horrors?
NightmareX
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
So Shadowrun world... we also have to bring in Earthdawn stuff and the eventual return of the Horrors?

Doesn't matter. Unless you're an elf, you'll keel over long before any significant Horror presence (other than the very concept of Leonard Nimoy singing <shudder>) arrives on ye olde planet Earth.
Grinder
The main question is: can we beat the Horrors? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
emo samurai
That argument was soo fucking inane.
torzzzzz
now, now techy! nyahnyah.gif

torz x
Darkwater
I think it would be awesome to live in the shadowrun universe if you are smart about what you do and who you do or don't piss off.
emo samurai
And if you were a mage.
PBTHHHHT
If you were a mage, emo, I'd be sure to shoot you before you have a chance of initiating for the betterment of society. wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Thus, emo will die a martyr for the Awakened Tolerance movement. It's even better than the racial movements because once the hate-crime legislation passes, we can do mind probes to prove that you had malicious intent from a bias against the magical.

"Just look at how much he's resisting the mind probe, it's clear that he's biased against us. Oh, and call the RIAA, he has some illegally downloaded simsense in his pocket secretary."
emo samurai
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jul 27 2006, 04:52 PM)
If you were a mage, emo, I'd be sure to shoot you before you have a chance of initiating for the betterment of society.  wink.gif

Assuming that I didn't detect you as an enemy first and kill you dead. biggrin.gif

I would most likely be paranoid just because I could do so to an extent not possible for normal people. Physical mask, trid phantasm, spirits of man with Physical Mask sustained posing as any one of my aliases at any time. Not to mention pre-bonded anchored spells and spirits in astral scanning anyone stupid enough to shoot me.

As for being afraid of trusting people, there's always "Mind Probe."

And FanGirl, before you go all "Durr, Thought Police" on me, remember that if anything would warrant a mind probe, it's the rational fear of betrayal and death.
Birdy
I've always said that mages are best hunted with Self Propelled Artillery and Stalinorgeln. What they can't see, they can't bewitch. cool.gif

And all mourn the few mundanes that valiantly gave their lifes to contain the mage in the MegaMall until the artillery could get him. cool.gif
emo samurai
Dude, did you read a word of what I wrote?
Birdy
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, did you read a word of what I wrote?

No, why? biggrin.gif

Only a dead mage is a good mage. Oh, can someone borrow me a Warlock class Destroyer?
Neverborn
Whats with all the Magician Hate going around?
PBTHHHHT
A lot of it has to do with emo expounding on his mightiness if he was a mage. So naturally there's a backlash... and it's just fun. nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
It's Awesomeness, dudes. Awesomeness.

(Does this word exist?)

biggrin.gif
emo samurai
QUOTE (Grinder)
(Does this word exist?)

Yes, simply because it should.
James McMurray
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/awesomeness
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/awesomeness

Two out of two dictionaries agree.
Grinder
Thank you guys, now I feel better. Awesome! smile.gif
Kyuhan
...ness.
Grinder
biggrin.gif
Dv84good
Here I got I couple movies for people who think the would rather live in sr than now. The first is bladerunner for the average joe on the street, second is sin city for the barrens and finally we got the island and logan's run for the wageslave. Granted these aren't perfect but i think they give a good picture of the sr world.
Grinder
We had a couple of movie threads here. There are much more movies to recommend, but please don't start a movie thread in here.
nezumi
Dude, did you watch Logan's run? A world full of 16-29 year old nymphets who will have sex if you just ASK! No dates or nothing! No wonder the competition to get into Renraku is so high.
James McMurray
And the Island rocks for the above average Joe, has no effect on the average Joe, and only sucks if you're a clone and you win the lttery.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nezumi)
Dude, did you watch Logan's run? A world full of 16-29 year old nymphets who will have sex if you just ASK! No dates or nothing! No wonder the competition to get into Renraku is so high.

Aye, the Domed city is the coolest place to live in the whole multiverse, untill you reach Lastday. When you reach Lastday you can always run.
James McMurray
You'll have trouble escaping though. The Fort Worth Water Gardens (where the film was made) is being closed down because after a couple decades some idiot finally managed to drown himself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012