Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Star Wars rules question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
HMHVV Hunter
I always thought that it would be cool to play a droid hero in a Star Wars D20 game. However, the rules are somewhat unclear on determining the attributes.

What i want to know is: do you randomly roll to determine your droid hero's base attributes, adding the bonuses provided by the droid's degree, or do you use the stats for the average droid of its type listed in the stats section and then add the degree bonuses/penalties?
Moon-Hawk
*looks around* Where the deuce do you think you are?
Oh well. Those bonuses provided by a droid's degree are just guidelines if you're trying to design a new droid type. If you're using an existing droid type (which you probably should be) just use the stats listed. Don't roll at all. The stats won't change, other than +1 to any one mental stat every 4 levels similar to a standard character (except for the "mental" stipulation)
HMHVV Hunter
Well, what confuses me is in the Droid classification section, it said that "Modifiers are applied...to a droid hero's base ability scores (regardless of which method is used to generate them)." So that leaves things unclear as to whether I role or use the base stats. Even if it's the latter, it seems to suggest that droid heroes get the bonuses/penalties.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Jedi Counseling # 24)
Q: One of our players was recently creating a droid character -- a J9 worker drone -- and we hit a snag in the rules. After the player rolled his stats and applied his ability modifiers (for a fifth-degree droid), he told us that since his droid's "normal" stat for Intelligence is a 16, he also gets to add a +6 to the 18 he assigned to his droid's Intelligence. Now he has a droid with an Intelligence of 24. That doesn't seem right! But he insisted that droids work basically just like races in the Monster Manual for Dungeons & Dragons, so they have racial adjustments. We were about to throw the Monster Manual at him. Is this really how it works?

A: No, but the player gets an "A" for the creative interpretation of rules from a different game. A droid's degree is its race; the ability modifiers listed there are what he gets, and that's all. But even that assumes that the player is creating an entirely new type of droid that just falls into that category of droids. If you select a J9 droid as your character, all of your droid's ability scores, base skill points, feats, and equipment are right there in the droid's description. You don't generate new ability scores, starting money, or anything normally involved in the character generation process (unless you're creating a droid with experience).

Jedi Counseling is a regular, official Q & A article on the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars site.
HMHVV Hunter
Darn. Eh, guess I'll just have to hope that if I ever play my B2 battle droid, he'll belong to a Tech Expert that'll see fit to beef him up (since that's the only way he'll get any stronger or faster)
Moon-Hawk
Yeah, pretty much. Of course, there's nothing preventing a droid from taking levels of Tech Expert and beefing themself up.
GoblynByte
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
*looks around*  Where the deuce do you think you are?

Dude! I think that is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen posted to a board. That's either because I don't get around much, or it's really freakin funny. rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012