Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Sensitive System" quality and magic users
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 20 2006, 12:51 PM)
You could instead spend 18-20 karma on upping your magic, gaining an initiate grade, or bonding a power focus, which is what most mages in my experience do.

It also seems we have different frames of reference. "even 6 or 7" seems to indicate that you see those numbers as high, whereas I see 6 as the starting number and 10 as high (not that we've reached 10 yet, as we haven't been playing SR exclusively).

That same mage could also easily afford to lose some essence/magic and pick up cereberal boosters (if they were hermetic at least) for extra drain resistance. Of course thats not really pertinent to the issue of cyber since bio isn't affected. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

But it is pertinent, because it's a potential reason to cross the line from "absolutely zero essence loss" to "a little essence loss, than can be used on a careful mix of bio and cyber" And once you're willing to cross that boundary, even if it's for a piece of bio, then you're in a situation where you might as well get something else with a small essence cost (as long as you don't cross the next big magic-drop marker) and the flaw becomes a major hindrance.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
it's not that they're high, per se--it's that they're high enough that you can afford to start expanding. i think another point on which we have different views is that your group looks at mages as just mages, concentrating all their ability on magic. i tend to look at magery as one area of expertise, of which a character can have several.

We view magic as one area of expertise as well. Characters usually have two areas that they're good at, and a third where they're good enough to get by. We don't see a lot of mage / street sams or mage / full riggers because magic is a monstrous drain on starting BPs if you want to be good at it, and because the archetypes don't really play to each others' strengths. Mage / Face and Mage / Hacker are easier fits.

For example, the current group has:

- Mage / Hacker
- Gun bunny / Gun Bunny (this guy almost always makes a character suited for nothing but combat, with or without flaws and in any game system)
- Street Sam / Rigger
- Face / Street Sam
- Techie / Street Sam
- Adept / Stealth

Not to say we haven't had them, but usually if a mage gets cyber it's so he can flirt with those combinations you shy away from.
Wiseman
no mages aren't just mages. eventually any mage is going to see the benefit that a few karma and nuyen can do for cybering up his character.

for a SS disadvantage mage the cost is twice.

As I tried to show with the troll sam being uncouth. Just because it isn't called into play all that often doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage and still there affecting the character.

One of the things I love most about the Adv/Disadv is the role-playing opportunity. To many times characters are limited to their "stats" and seldom see much further than the paper. Most games I've played, characters never willingly take a role-playable disadvantage. Now I see it often enough.

Also keep in mind that disadvantages can be bought off for twice the karma. So yeah he got 15BP now, but if he wants to cyber its 40 karma per magic (for lost essence) or he can spend 30 karma (if GM approved) to buy it off and another 20 karma to get back the lost magic rating.

Character 1, No SS = 20 karma + cyberware

Character 2, SS = 40 karma + cyberware, +30 karma to not pay it again in the future.

20 vs 70 Karma
At max you get 10 Karma per adventure (I break to 4-5 per session as some "adventures" don't end)

thats at least 14 game sessions vs 4

Its a disadvantage

EDIT actually its closer to 20 to 50 if the SS character buys off the disadvantage first, but as a GM I wouldn't allow that without some intense roleplaying and time between the two different purchases.
James McMurray
then you're in a situation where you might as well get something else with a small essence cost (as long as you don't cross the next big magic-drop marker) and the flaw becomes a major hindrance.

This is a completely metagame reason though. The character won't sit down with his calculator and the new Fall Cyberware catalog and try to figure out exactly how much he can squeeze into himself before losing a die from his magic tests. From an in character perspective it's "magic is my focus and I won't give away my soul" or "Magic is great, but I'll lose some to cyberware."

Not that metagaming doesn't happen in our games, or even that it's a bad thing (sometimes it can be exactly what's needed).
James McMurray
QUOTE (Wiseman)
eventually any mage is going to see the benefit that a few karma and nuyen can do for cybering up his character.

Change that from "any" to "some" and you'll have a more correct statement. Saying that all mages will eventually get cyberware is extremely untrue.
Wiseman
true. but the fact that they can still means its a hinderance. unlike a non awakened character who never could so therefore can't take a magic disadvantage
James McMurray
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Not being allowed to do something you'll never do is not a penalty in my mind. It's like telling a child "stop hitting your sister or you won't get any broccoli for dinner." If the kid doesn't like broccoli there's no reason for his to stop hitting her.
Wiseman
I completely see where your coming from and agree.

However if said broccoli might save his life from cancer he might reconsider
James McMurray
True, but there is no cyberware that can give you anything you need to live that you can't also get from bioware or a cloned replacement organ. And even if there were, I think we can agree that it's an incredibly rare mage PC would take a combination of flaws that put SS and "must have cyberware or die" together. In that instance I would most definitely give them the SS points.

I'm not opposed to SS, just an SS that will never come into play because of character concept.
Shrike30
One of the main reasons to avoid putting everything on trodes, in contacts, and in earplugs is really simple and common: water.

Character takes a spill off the docks? Gets hit with a riot hose? The sprinklers kick in when the mage rips off a fireball? The floor in the burning building gives out and he drops into a flooded subbasement? Attacked by a water elemental? Just climbed out of the shower?

Trode paste washes off. Earplugs don't work well with water in the microphone. Contacts can get knocked out or fall out or washed out or get jammed back into your eyeball when you bump into the Three Stooges physad.

It's cheaper and there's no essense cost if you get a lot of stuff externally compared to internally. I try to make sure the disadvantages of external gear come into play occasionally.
mfb
see, even there, i think it's part of the GM's job to make sure it comes into play. if a player selects the SS quality for his character, he's basically volunteering to get cyberware at some point in the game--whether the character desires it or not.
Wiseman
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 20 2006, 01:40 PM)
True, but there is no cyberware that can give you anything you need to live that you can't also get from bioware or a cloned replacement organ. And even if there were, I think we can agree that it's an incredibly rare mage PC would take a combination of flaws that put SS and "must have cyberware or die" together. In that instance I would most definitely give them the SS points.

I'm not opposed to SS, just an SS that will never come into play because of character concept.

I dispute this as there are tons of things bioware won't help with.

Lets look at a cybereye package at .4

A human could gain the benefits of troll/elf vision, smartlink (+2 opposed attack tests, same as adding two to ALL weapon skills which is akin to at least 20BP at character creation) and more.

bioware? best you got is a +1 to firearms.

Not even close. Cyberware doesn't usually let you do new things (exception to sim mods and VR), but it lets you do EVERYTHING better.

Non-SS Mage
Cybereyes .4, datajack, control rig (hackmage/rigger)
vs
SS-Mage
No cyber or just the eyes and datajack at the same cost in essence and the same reduction to magic.

Think of it this way. Deltaware (x.5 essence cost) costs 10 times the amount.

Every Non-SS character essentially has deltaware compared to the SS character.
at 1/10th the cost......

Edit - I'd be more apt to agree if you had to have a "Cybered" advantage to even get cyberware. But since everyone CAN get it, getting it at twice the essence is a penalty, whether or not you ever actually do (and those with SS will be mostly inspired not to). This doesn't mean they avoided the penalty. This means they took an even greater disadvantage by taking NO cyberware for fear of loss.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Shrike30)
One of the main reasons to avoid putting everything on trodes, in contacts, and in earplugs is really simple and common: water.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that you can get most things waterproofed. They have them now.

I dispute this as there are tons of things bioware won't help with.

I was replying to your statement that "if said broccoli might save his life from cancer he might reconsider." There is nothing that cyberware will save your life from that you can't get done via bioware, genetech, or cloned replacements.

I'm not disagreeing that cyberware can do cool things, nor that it can do things that bioware can't. I'm disagreeing with the idea that cyberware is a necessity for mages.
Wiseman
Ah I see.

Than to that I say, If everyone else has cyberware, You NOT having cyberware is a disadvantage equal to how often the bad guys have it (almost always).

To say cyberware is an advantage, and then say its not a disadvantage not having any because they didn't want it anyway (and make it prohibitive cost wise to get anything decent) then I can't say I follow you there.

Its an advantage they could have (at normal rule balance) no matter what kind of character they are. For (15BPs) they're either going to have less or none at all. This is equal to a stat raised by 1 or an active skill at 3, at the cost of some insane (and cheap costs both nuyen & essence wise) gear that amounts to a lot more modifiers than that.

I agree no one should get something for nothing.
I dispute that not having cyberware is something of an advantage for 15BP
James McMurray
Not having cyberware is not a disadvantage because you have other things instead:

- higher magic rating or
- fewer geasa because you didn't have to offset lost magic or
- more skills, initiation, spells, foci, etc. because you didn't spend karma regaining your lost magic and

- more of other types of gear because you didn't spend money on cyber

You're not disadvantaged, you're differently advantaged.
Wiseman
yea but magic causes drain (and wound modifiers), its already got its own disadvantage packed in (not to mention sustaining).

So I can buy WR1 for 2 essence (I think) and a handful of nuyen

OR

I can cast a reflex spell, suffer drain, and take a -2 to all tests. (casting as a complex action, so no free action to switch it on)

And to you they're one and the same?
Wiseman
Also keep in mind it cost (oddly) 15BP just to make a mage.

Include the BP cost of spells, focus binding, spirits, and magic attribute and I still don't see where your finding an imbalance.

I.E.

I can make a BP expensive mage with some cyberware
OR
I can make a more BP expensive mage with no cyberware.

Sum = 0
James McMurray
That Wired Reflexes 2 is costing you a permanent -2 to all magic tests, and you can't just drop it like you can Increase Reflexes, so that -2 dice penalty is with you until you die or accept a couple of geasa. You also only get +2 reaction and +1 IP. Increase Reflexes can give you +3 IP. For a mage, Increase Reflexes is often vastly superior to Wired Reflexes, especially with a sustaining focus.

OR

I must be missing something on this one. How does adding cyberware lower your BP cost, since cyberware requires money, which requires BP. It also requires an increased magic rating to offset the loss, which costs more BP.

Sum = 0

I'm not sure what you're saying with this.
Shrike30
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I think it's pretty safe to assume that you can get most things waterproofed. They have them now.

I've never seen an earplug that functions properly when there's water in the microphone, I've never seen contacts that function properly when they get washed out of your eyes, and I'm having a hard time imagining trode paste working properly if it gets washed off (which I hope it can be, otherwise there's a bunch of really grungy AR-clubbers out there). A trode-net held in place by a balaclava or something similar might stand up to a 20 foot fall into water, or getting hit by a firehose, but that's not very subtle.
James McMurray
earplug that functions properly when there's water in the microphone,
I've never seen contacts that function properly when they get washed out of your eyes

Goggles / glasses are also an option. A pair of sunglasses can do everything cybereyes can do and more (IIRC you can't get ultrasound on a cybereye).

I'm having a hard time imagining trode paste working properly if it gets washed off (which I hope it can be, otherwise there's a bunch of really grungy AR-clubbers out there).

We've got waterproof paints today that can be washed off, just not with water. Alternatively you can get nanopaste tattoo trodes, which can't get washed off no matter what you hit them with except perhaps acid, but then your trodes are the least of your worries. eek.gif
Wiseman
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That Wired Reflexes 2 is costing you a permanent -2 to all magic tests, and you can't just drop it like you can Increase Reflexes, so that -2 dice penalty is with you until you die or accept a couple of geasa. You also only get +2 reaction and +1 IP. Increase Reflexes can give you +3 IP. For a mage, Increase Reflexes is often vastly superior to Wired Reflexes, especially with a sustaining focus.

OR

I must be missing something on this one. How does adding cyberware lower your BP cost, since cyberware requires money, which requires BP. It also requires an increased magic rating to offset the loss, which costs more BP.

Sum = 0

I'm not sure what you're saying with this.

lol, cyberware didn't add to my BP's

The disadvantage from SS did at the cost of losing some primo bonuses from cyberware, now or anytime in the future without ungodly cost.

To overcome this disadvantage financially, I'd have to pay 10 times the cost of the cyberware
James McMurray
I guess the "I can make a more BP expensive mage with no cyberware" confused me. How does not having cyberware make you more expensive?

To overcome this disadvantage

*sigh* Again, not having cyberware doesn't disadvantage you, it just means your advantages will be of a different variety.
Wiseman
I'll try one more time.

A Mage can spend less BP on resources since he doesn't need as much cyber/gear, and use those points for more magic (most would). More magic = less cyberware.

Now that same mage takes the SS Disadvantage for 15 BP (and knows he wasn't gonna buy any/much cyberware). He uses this to get MORE resources to buy...gear.

Or a contact.. OR more magic.

So back to your kid analogy:

Kid throws a fit in a movie theater so they say "you want to come back it'll cost you double the price!". He leaves the theater and finds a shiny silver dollar (since he got kicked out).

But its some crappy movie theater he didn't like anyway. He got a dollar for free!

One day the kid grows up and wants to go to the movies with his date, He's older now and realizes the folly of his ways, but he still has to pay double (theres only one theater in town).

Or

He never goes to the movies again (not a real disadvantage these days, but i'm straining here) and says he didn't want to anyway. (sour grapes).

So either he pays double or never sees a movie again.

For his trouble he gets a dollar (far less than the cost of doubling admission)

Its a trade off

Try this though since it still bugs the hell out of you.....reduce the BP bonus for it. Is it worth it for 10 BP?

Wiseman
If I have cybereyes and you don't and were both in the dark you get a -6 and I get a -3.

Who's disadvantaged?

How cheap are cybereyes?

You could say "hey I got goggles", are they on your head and activated when the guy ambushes you from down a dark alley?

There are thousands of situations where no cyberware = disadvantage.

Try sitting for 2-3 Initiative Passes while everyone else gets to go again, and again.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 20 2006, 11:22 AM)
It's been years in-game by 2064 when he could have had an entire clone of himself made to harvest parts in a matter of weeks.

Why? He just could have undergone the SotA63 treatment called augmented healing.
After spending about two months in a jar while participating virtually, he would be as good as new... for about 20 grand.

That's the one thing I like about SR4 - they state that getting cyber replacements is outdated.

This is one thing si dislike about shadowrun forth ed. The human body is damned good at what it does. If you shrunk a human to the size of an ant, we would be way stronger. Human muscle is really good at being strong.Sure you an improve it in many ways but the idea that bioware is just better than cyberware offends me.

I can take the idea that it is better in some ways, and some fields but most of the ways and fields you want in shadowruning I can see it done with machines over genic made parts.

That being said i am more in favor of "nanoware" these days. It still has it's problems.

In the end my biggest cripe is the nervus system bio and cyber. Cyber can send signals to muscles at speeds so fast that bio isn't even in the same scale. The nevrs in humans as I recall send signals at like 40-50 miles per hour (even it was 1,000 times as fast it would still be less), well you can send singles over machines at close tot eh speed of light..I don't know but the speed of light sound like a rather bigger number to me.

I also dislike the fact they did not change the legacy items to match the new ones. If you are making cyberware the stuff that scum, and poor people get..Make it cheaper than bio. After all if only poor people bye it? If you are not willing to that then make them balanced in both costs.

That is just me, and I like to have balanced games.
James McMurray
So either he pays double or never sees a movie again.

To continue the analogy: He never sees a movie in a theatre again. He can downgrade to watching them at home (i.e. he gets goggles). He could read books for alternative entertainment (sustain spells instead of ware). You're also leaving out that going to the movie means he is worse at his career in some aspects (cyberware costs magic).

If I have cybereyes and you don't and were both in the dark you get a -6 and I get a -3.

True, if I don't compensate for my lack of cybereyes with goggles, glasses, contacts, or magic. And, since those can have ultrasound and cybereyes can't, I'm doing something you're not.

You could say "hey I got goggles", are they on your head and activated when the guy ambushes you from down a dark alley?

If I'm in an area where I expect to get ambushed from dark alleys? Either yes they are, or I've got a spirit watching my back, or perhaps some spells up to protect me (improved invis, armor, etc.). Differently advantaged.

Edit: and if I've got contacts instead of goggles, they're always on.

How cheap are cybereyes?

More expensive than goggles, especially when they cost you a point of magic. smile.gif

Try sitting for 2-3 Initiative Passes while everyone else gets to go again, and again.

Ummm... Increase Reflexes is a spell. At force 6 you can get +2 initiative passes. Force 4 is probably more realistic though, as it's cheaper to stick in a focus and easier to cast on the fly. If you sustain the spell you've got close to the same penalties you'd have if you just wired reflexes 1 (-2 dice). If you put it in a focus you have no dice pool penalties. To get the same effect with cyberware you'd have to lose 3-5 magic points.

Again, differently advantaged.
Wiseman
again, can't refute most of that.

But honestly if you don't see having no cyberware as a disadvantage there is no analogy (good or bad) that will convince you.

I think that a reflex spell takes a complex action
and since it's considered gaining IP's, the mage won't get them till next turn.

"Trouble down the alley"

Sam - Free action, WR2 on, bang bang, bang bang, bang bang

Mage - uses first and only IP to cast reflex, suffers drain, -2 dice pool for sustaining, no other actions.

Next turn

Sam - blows on barrel of gun

Mage - "My head hurts"

Magic has its own balance (plus and minus). Cyberware is balanced by only two things money (the least of the two) and essence (most of the two).

SS Mage doesn't NEED cyberware, but you can't argue he wouldn't be more effective WITH cyberware.

If he wants to be more than the guy deciding whether to fireball now or cast reflexes and wait till next turn, he'll probably want some.

Though I agree only some mages would want a lot of cyberware, the inverse is a lot of mages would want some cyberware.

So its either 2x the essence cost (unreplacable by any means) or 10 times the cost.

Balanced to me.
Shrike30
James: The only microphones I'm seeing listed there that work properly when there's water *in* them are the ones listed as "hydrophones." Being waterproof isn't quite the same thing as "works under water."

Sunglasses or goggles are great, right up until you get hit in the face with something (like high-pressure water) or want to, say, cast a spell using a vision mode built into the glasses.

I'd missed out on nano trode tattoos. That would handle the washoff problem. I didn't know they made waterproof paints to put on people eek.gif
James McMurray
Wiseman: again, your spells are already active. There's no reason to cast increase reflexes because you have it in a focus. The penalties inherent in getting Wired Reflexes (-2 to all magic tests) make it a poor comparison for mages. There are other better comparisons, and there are indeed ways taht cyberware makes you better, but you also lose dice on every test you make, and can replace those cyberware benefits with spells or regular gear. So no, there's probably no analogy that will convince me, because there's no analogy that is close enough to the topic at hand and can't be looked at from a different perspective.

Sam - Free action, WR2 on, bang bang, bang bang, bang bang

Mage - uses first and only IP to cast reflex, suffers drain, -2 dice pool for sustaining, no other actions.

Actually its:
Sam - Activates WR2, bang bang
Mage - IR already active, Nukes with spell (or gun if he's that type of mage)

During the next turn the mage is blowing on his finger or gun.

SS Mage doesn't NEED cyberware, but you can't argue he wouldn't be more effective WITH cyberware.

Sure I can. That's what I've been doing all along. That it hasn't convinced you doesn't make it an invalid opinion, any more than you not convincing me invalidates your opinion.

If he wants to be more than the guy deciding whether to fireball now or cast reflexes and wait till next turn, he'll probably want some.

Or an already active spell. smile.gif

So its either 2x the essence cost (unreplacable by any means) or 10 times the cost.

Or no cyberware, no cost. Resources that would otherwise be spent go elsewhere.

James: The only microphones I'm seeing listed there that work properly when there's water *in* them are the ones listed as "hydrophones." Being waterproof isn't quite the same thing as "works under water."

And you don't think that 65 years of technological improvements will change that?

Sunglasses or goggles are great, right up until you get hit in the face with something (like high-pressure water) or want to, say, cast a spell using a vision mode built into the glasses.

Do you frequently have peole making called shots to the face to remove glasses? Or do you have regular bullets destroy gear when they hit people? There are no rules, other than called shots, for knocking something off someone's face with an attack. You are of course free to rule that it happens, but if it doesn't also screw everyone else then it's just being mean to one player.

The vision mod changes are the only real thing I see being a benefit for cyberware over normal gear, but those can be replaced with spells or racial abilities if it's really that important.

Again, I'm not saying that mages should never et cyberware. All I'm saying is that a mage that doesn't want it (for whatever reason, including the roleplaying aspect that's been totally ignored in this thread) should not get bonus points for negative qualities that will never affect him negatively.
Wiseman
Nah buddy.

Your mage has enough warning to cast an active (already sustained spell)

and the SAM hasn't switched on WR yet? nope, not even close

since turning on WR is a free action he CAN turn it on and take the IP's in the same and only the first IP. Mage cannot. When both are warned well in advance, minor difference. When surprised, big difference.

If you don't see the value of skillwires, wired reflexes, smartlink, or a number of other less than cosmetic cyberware than of course the mage is making out like a bandit with those 15 BP

Way I see it the Mage must have Magician 15 BP
so he spent 15 (magic rating 1) to be a mage. Now he can up his magic, add some spells, bind a focus, and buy some cyberware.

Player two says I only want to be a mage
For his restriction on cyberware (making it really not worth it in terms of cost no matter if you look it at as unreplaceable essence or as BP's) he gets back the 15 BP's he spent to be a mage. Conversely he has a higher magic rating, and more spells.

Both players got to tweak exactly what they wanted.
Player 1 = Cybermage
Player 2 = Mage's Mage

Since we all know Mages/Magic/Techno's are bigger Karma sinks, Player 2's disadvantaged SS shows that either he (willfully) or his body (more likely) neglects cyberware and so he's a better mage for it.

Like I said, IF it cost you something just to be able to use cyberware I'd agree. But cyberware is a benefit to EVERY character right out the box, NOT having any and spending points to improve elsewhere (and giving up the potential to ever have any cyber of a decent worth) balances itself.

How else would I explain that my mage who focused solely on magic is a better magician than the one who added cyberware. (eventually even the cybered mage can be as good at magic as the non-cybered mage can, but the non-cybered mage will NEVER be able to have as much cyberware as the cybered mage).

whooo. I do feel we're going in circles on this one. As the rules are clear, you just don't like them as written. I can't make you like them, I can only offer the different opinion (based on the perceived value of cyberware to me) that its balanced.

Now to make this somewhat constructive. I'd recommend halving the BP bonus (similar as how they do the matrix disadvantages for non hackers/techno's)

Or as you stated, require the character at least take some cyberware to qualify for the disadvantage.
sorcel
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Again, I'm not saying that mages should never et cyberware. All I'm saying is that a mage that doesn't want it (for whatever reason, including the roleplaying aspect that's been totally ignored in this thread) should not get bonus points for negative qualities that will never affect him negatively.

This is a logical fallacy in metagame terms. What you're saying is that a player who -- at the early date of character creation -- anticipates getting cyberware can reduce the BP-nuyen.gif cost of that cyberware by taking Sensitive System, but a player who consciously chooses -- again, at the early date of character creation -- to refrain from buying cyberware may receive no benefit. In effect, you're penalizing players for changing their minds over the course of the story, rather than granting extra BPs to players who willingly assume limits on their characters that they can't rid themselves of without spending more in karma than the limit was ever worth in BPs.

I am inclined to say that Negative Qualities are about taking on an in-character burden and receiving a largely metagame benefit in return. Maybe you disagree with me. In any event, the way you characterize Sensitive System reduces it to a function of making cyberware more expensive in Essence terms in order to make it cheaper in nuyen.gif terms.

I ain't down wit dat. wobble.gif

-S
mfb
QUOTE (Wiseman)

this is only partially correct. the question isn't whether or not the mage is more effective with or without cyberware, it's whether or not he's more effective in his chosen role.
Shrike30
Bullets don't usually destroy gear, etc. Explosions might remove something nifty/useful (knock a gun out of your hand, shear the goggles off your face, etc). Getting firehosed will do something like that. Long falls into water, unexpectedly hanging off the side of a bullet train, or any other situation where you've got an awful lot of force being applied all over your body could result in a piece of gear being trashed or lost. If it's reasonable, I'll have the player make some sort of a roll to grab at the item as it goes away.

I've had called shots made to remove a set of ultrasound goggles in close combat... character going at it with an NPC in the dark, decided he'd be better off if the NPC couldn't see him.
Wiseman
think sorcel hit it on the head.

mfb - your right. but that is the point of adv/disadv to begin with. tweaking your character for the role you decide to play.
James McMurray
Your mage has enough warning to cast an active (already sustained spell)

Two words: Sustaining Focus

If you don't see the value of skillwires, wired reflexes, smartlink, or a number of other less than cosmetic cyberware than of course the mage is making out like a bandit with those 15 BP

I most definitely see the advantage of them. But all of those you listed are not worth the essence cost, which translates into a loss of dice on every magic test made. The smartlink is possible, but only for a gun bunny / mage hybrid, who would never take the quality in the first place.

whooo. I do feel we're going in circles on this one. As the rules are clear, you just don't like them as written. I can't make you like them, I can only offer the different opinion (based on the perceived value of cyberware to me) that its balanced.

Very true. And I can't make you dislike them based on my perceptions of the value of cyberware. Truce? smile.gif

This is a logical fallacy in metagame terms. What you're saying is that a player who -- at the early date of character creation -- anticipates getting cyberware can reduce the BP- cost of that cyberware by taking Sensitive System, but a player who consciously chooses -- again, at the early date of character creation -- to refrain from buying cyberware may receive no benefit. In effect, you're penalizing players for changing their minds over the course of the story, rather than granting extra BPs to players who willingly assume limits on their characters that they can't rid themselves of without spending more in karma than the limit was ever worth in BPs.

For the character that wants cyberware, SS is not a flaw to take. 15 BP is not worth the extra lost magic points except for very specific builds. Likewise, for amage that doesn't want to take cyberware, 15 BP is always worth it. My problem with the quality (and other qualities like Incompetence) is that they are no brainers one way or the other. Either you want them because they don't hurt or you don't want them because they hurt too much.

this is only partially correct. the question isn't whether or not the mage is more effective with or without cyberware, it's whether or not he's more effective in his chosen role.

Absolutely.

Shrike: Cool. I tend not to destroy character gear without them having something to do with it. For example, I would not have a fire hose rip away your glasses any more than I would have a grenade destroy your commlink. I have, however, had a grenade destroy a cyberdeck, but it happened because a character was in a situation where he opted to grab his own bag of really cheap guns instead of his partner's really expensive cyberdeck.

If you dive into water wearing contacts and try to swim with your eyes open you're screwed, but I wouldn't just have them fall out because you the flash grenade made you blink too much. smile.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Wiseman)
mfb - your right. but that is the point of adv/disadv to begin with. tweaking your character for the role you decide to play.

Which is what I've been saying all along. Maybe we've just been talking past each other somehow?
Wiseman
truce.

As for the sustained focus that has its own drawbrack of making the user permanently astrally active.

astral tracking (anytime of the day) and enemy mages would make this character cry.

sustained focus is like going on a run with the groups PAN's on active.

Not good..not good
Mr. Unpronounceable
pft...I know it's bio, but the sleep regulator alone is worth losing the point of essence/magic (at least if your GM occasionally realizes your team has been operating for 30+ hours without rest) and once you're down .15, there's lots of other goodies a mage could use to fill up the rest of that point.
James McMurray
I don't think a sustaining focus is as bad as an active PAN by a longshot, although it really dpeends on the situation. You can't be tracked by a focus, but you can by a PAN. You can't be pegged as magically active by a PAN, but can as a focus.
mfb
a sustaining focus is much more expensive than a PAN, though.
James McMurray
True, but not really material to the discussion at hand (unless I'm missing something).
Wiseman
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I don't think a sustaining focus is as bad as an active PAN by a longshot, although it really dpeends on the situation. You can't be tracked by a focus, but you can by a PAN. You can't be pegged as magically active by a PAN, but can as a focus.

Astral Tracking 185
Nearly all magical things (spririts spells, foci, and magical lodges) have an astral link to something. Active spells are linked to their casters, spirits are linked to their master, astrally-projecting magicians are linked to their physical bodies, and foci and magical lodges are linked to the magicians who activated them. Awakened entities who are aware of these links can follow and track them through the astral plane back to their sources"

Oh you can be tracked. Extended Assensing + Intuition (5, 1 hour).

Also they can recognize your Astral Signature

Pg 182 "Foci and other magical items (like lodges) always contain the astral signature of their owner.

Goes on to further say they can use it to gather information about "criminal<shadowrunner" and warns against leaving them. Now you can erase them, but who says you'll always have the time.

Whats the point? Ritual Magic, maybe not the player characters favorite, but I know a coven of troll & orc street witches with some information to sell about "that awakened fairy what was runnin from lone star earlier tonight".

James McMurray
Ah, sorry. So having a focus is exactly as dangerous as having a spell. Cool.

I personally don't use Ritual Magic as a player or a GM, as it's no fun. It isn't as bad in SR4, but no opportunity to test it out has come up yet.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
and if I've got contacts instead of goggles, they're always on.

missed this earlier. have you ever worn contacts? because they are in no way always on. you take them off when you get ready for bed, or (in the case of cosmetic contacts) whenever you get tired of wearing them. if you're not actively on a run, there's little reason to be wearing your low-light/thermo/magnification lenses, so suprise ninja visits are going to be an issue. and even if you have them on, all it takes is a swim or even an unlucky eye twitch during vigorous activity, and you're no longer wearing them--they might be gone, or they might be wrinkled up under your eyelid; either way, you're no longer receiving the benefits. and a smart GM will do just that to a contact-wearer, on a botch. likewise with earbuds and throat mics.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 19 2006, 09:37 PM)
i think i take a much longer view of characters, though. i get the feeling, from the way people talk and the various polls i've seen, that most people retire their characters after ~30 karma or so. i run mine for much, much longer. whether that tendency changes with the advent of SR4 remains to be seen, of course.

As a thread diversion I can let you know my main is up over 80 karma now and he's got lots of game left in him as far as I'm concerned. Although that is higher than most of the SR3 characters I've had, the karma awards have been less sparse than under SR3. The award size change isn't really a SR3-SR4 thing, more GM specific in this case. So I'd say roughly from sessions run he's about midrange so far for past characters, and would have been about 40 to 50 karma in SR3.

I'm certain I never got any SR3 character over 100 karma, for various reasons.

Back on the subject, I have found that Sensitive System seems to have been mostly accounted for in the system on the Awakened. Especially for Adepts. Not only are there the longterm considerations that you mentioned mfb, but also awakened characters tend to take a few more BP to create a reasonably rounded character. Couple that with the 35 BP cap on flaws and it pretty much works out.

Call them "free points" for Awakened if you like, but those "free points" have been partially factored into the Awakened characters. Which brings you to the point where it hurts short term not to take SS and hurts longterm to take it. It works for me. Banning Sensitive System for Awakened characters seems to me to just be taking from a player a valid, working, and balanced trade-off choice.
James McMurray
I have worn contacts. I took them off once every couple of weeks to clean. 2070 contacts will be even more eye-friendly.

I've since had my eyeballs lasered, which means my eyesight totally rocks, but the effects of the surgery 20 years dow the road is compeltely unknown. smile.gif & frown.gif
mfb
...what did you do, in those contacts? because i had some pretty nice ones, but they still tended to wrinkle up on me at the worst times. and swimming was still a no-no, unless i kept my eyes closed.
James McMurray
Regular every day soft, daily wear lenses. I was supposed to take them out every night but didn't. After a couple weeks they started to feel gummy so I'd take them out and clean them. I'd get a wrinkle every now and then, but it wasn't often. Maybe every month or so.

I did everything in them, even swam, although I hid them under goggles when doing that. I've never liked swimming without goggles though, so that wasn't a change.

I wore them for about 3 years, then switched to glasses because they were easier and cheaper. When I started college I went back to contacts and stayed with them for another 5 years before going back to glasses and then finally Lasik.

I imagine 2070 Shadowrun lenses will be practically wrinkle proof and be made of something that snugly but safely attaches itself to your eye so they don't fall out without extreme circumstances. I don't know if they'd be water proof or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Some sort of molecular level adhesion or something equally implausible for RL but totally fitting for the genre.

Dikoted monowhip contacts!

Heck, you'e a mage. Get yourself an ally spirit in the form of contacts with all the bells and whistles. wink.gif

note: that last bit is a joke, although it could be a doable concept in the right game worlds.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Incompetent: Subspace Pilot

Sorry, Not to be to nickpicky though but,

You can not pick Incompetent in a skill that you can not use untrained.

I would also rule that if you took Uneducated you could not take Incompetant in any Tech skill, such as first aid.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I imagine 2070 Shadowrun lenses will be practically wrinkle proof and be made of something that snugly but safely attaches itself to your eye so they don't fall out without extreme circumstances.

maybe. however since the books don't say anything on the subject, wrinkled/lost contacts are perfect targets for botches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012