Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The false disadvantage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SL James
QUOTE (Charon)
And should he get killed in between runs just for "Walking down the street without a more charismatic buddies"?  Wow.  If that's being creative I'll do without.  One of the most popular fiction character on SR board is usually Leon.  Damn if he wasn't socially inept but hey, whaddya know, he managed to get his milk without getting shot in between missions.

No, he wasn't.

QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 30 2006, 03:09 AM)
The real disadvantage is if the person roleplays as a complete asshole. Which is, generally speaking, a detriment to the play experience of the group (in my experience, anyway). So I just don't allow it in my games.

Many people roleplay like complete asshole no matter what their stats are.

And nothing stops you to play your uncouth character like Leon The professional.

Leon was not uncouth or Uncouth. He was, especially in the Quality context, not Uncouth. His backstory involved him having been in love. For an Uncouth person who qualifies as antisocial/sociopathic, falling in love is virtually impossible. For him to do so twice the way he did (once in Italy, again for Matilda) completely rules out him being Uncouth. The entire premise of the movie would have changed because he wouldn't have given a fuck about Matilda and would have let her die. Even using the small "u" uncouth, he was not socially inept. He was limited by his language skills and lingering personal demons. And, oh, wait. I may not like SR4, but I do know that a character cannot roll more charisma-linked skill dice than they have for a non-native language (SR4, 130). He could have been Cassanova in Italy, but since he had English 1 or 2, he was stuck.

QUOTE (dictionary.com)
an·ti·so·cial  Audio prnunciation of "antisocial" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (nt-sshl, nt-)
adj.

1. Shunning the society of others; not sociable.
  2. Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior.
  3. Antagonistic toward or disrespectful of others; rude.

He was caught in a compromising position because he was afraid: afraid to love someone again, and afraid to really interact with people because a) he barely spoke English, and b) he was manipulated by someone who controlled almost his entire life in America. His interactions with Matilda alone suggest that he was somewhat sociable. Antisocial and sociopathic people aren't just socially-awkward. They hate social interactions and reject social mores to the point of acting contrary to them. A low-Charisma/Social Skill person may be awkward, but they aren't completely incapable or unwilling to function in the world, socially. Sociopaths and severely antisocial people (i.e., those with Uncouth) are actively engaging on contrarian social activities. A low-charisma person can function perfectly well, but they are more likely to be characterized and shy, introverted, and just awkward. An antisocial person has a mental defect which effectively renders them incapable of empathizing with people and has little to no regard for the suffering of others.

Reference Link

That sure as shit is not Leon. Like I said, if Leon was Uncouth according to the SR3/4 definitions, he'd not only have left Matilda outside, he'd have watched the agents kill her and not felt a damn thing either way. There is a world of difference between Uncouth and low Charisma. Someone may have Charisma 1, but even they would have trouble watching someone kill an innocent girl. Someone with the Uncouth Quality wouldn't give a fuck if she died in front of him. "Help." *bang* "Eh..."
hobgoblin
i dont see uncouth as being anti-social, just lacking, very lacking on social grace. if anything i guess he will fit as the grumpy old redneck kinda person.

he may understand emotions, but even basic social acts like holding open a door for someone else is beyond him.

so i dont think he would stand around and watch someone get killed if it was a person he cared about.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=uncouth

yep, for ones i looked up the word...

for the enforcer or bounty hunter it may be walking into some high end place in their week old working clothes, maybe with some blood on them even. they either dont care or dont know about even the basics of social expectations.

the hacker would be the classical image of its kind. pizza stains on the t-shirt, wild growing beard, not showerd for a week and so on...
James McMurray
Uncouth is not the same as "can't love," or even "doesn't care if people die." They're not even related. It's possible to play a character that way, but certainly not necessary.
DireRadiant
Will the Uncouth team member left in the van be savvy enough to stay in the van during the meet.... time for that sedative laden glass of milk...
Charon
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 31 2006, 07:13 AM)
Someone with the Uncouth Quality wouldn't give a fuck if she died in front of him. "Help." *bang* "Eh..."

There is nothing in the way uncouth work that forces you to let a little girl die on your front step.

Or to never fall in love.

These are entirely limits you put on yourself if you choose to roleplay that way.

All it does is make you suck at social relation (But you probably did already) and curtails further development in this area (but you probably don't care anyway if you picked Uncouth in the first place).

And Leon sure fit the bill. If the movie was his SR career, it'd have worked.

Was he Casanova back in Italy? Who cares. You can make an Uncouth character and say he became that way because of a horrible failed love story back in the old country. It'd be an interesting background. Changes nothing in the mechanics, but it gives flavor.

QUOTE (Glyph)
And if such a character can function that way, and have little or no problems, then maybe uncouth is an inappropriate flaw for your campaign.

Again with the ''In my campaign I'd make it a flaw but hey if youcan't...''

As if failing a social test, or any test, was the end of the world. The point of the game is to tell interesting stories which sometime means failing. The first Star Wars Saga wouldn't be nearly so interesting wihout several failures in episode V.

For the Uncouth to fail a basic social test and screw the run is no different than for a hot shot hacker to screw up a very tough hacking check and screw up the run. The end result is the same.

The point of the PC statistics is to define their abilities. What they are good at and what they suck at. So that when balanced against each other they are roughly as valuable as member of the team. But after that point, their strength are worth no more than their weaknesses for storytelling purpose.

And for the last time, yes, having low social ability is a weakness in my game. And not being able to fight well is a weakness when you've been cornered by ghouls. And damn if not being a magician isn't a weakness when a spirit attacks. Even not being able to force open an electronically locked door, through skill or strength, is a very damning weakness when you're locked in and a pack of flesh form spirits are tracking you.

But stories are made of these. You try to compensate for your weakness by whatever strength you have and failing that the story take a dramatic hard turn left. Teams do their best to make sure the right member is present to deal with the appropriate challenge. And when you fail that, you try to roll with it. And you still have fun in the end. Which is the point.

People think failing a roll is some kind of punishment. It's just part of the story, people!

So giving an extra 20 BP for a weakness that is already present in the character design and that the player presumably assume fully is silly. It only increase the realm of what he can do without increasing what he can't when compared to his team mates.

It's funny so many seems to think my campaigns are somehow friendly to low charisma PC when I'm arguing in favor of deprieving these guys of an extra 20 BP.
Charon
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 31 2006, 08:25 AM)
Will the Uncouth team member left in the van be savvy enough to stay in the van during  the meet.... time for that sedative laden glass of milk...

That's another problem altogether.

Does he have common sense?

ANY runner without common sense is a disaster waiting to happen.

If anything, it's a toss up who is more dangerous for the team between a combat monster with the social skills of a chimpanzee and a cocky charismatic faceman if both are challenged in the common sense department.
SL James
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Uncouth is not the same as "can't love," or even "doesn't care if people die." They're not even related. It's possible to play a character that way, but certainly not necessary.

When it comes to the Quality, and only in regards to Quality, I do.

QUOTE (SR4 @ 83)
Uncouth characters are antisocial or sociopathic and have a difficult time interacting with others

Apparently the RAW agrees with me.
DireRadiant
Unleashed, Jet Li. That might be an example of an uncouth character.
James McMurray
Antisocial does not mean unable to love, nor does sociopathic. It obviously works for you to play it that way, but that's a far cry from it having to be done that way.
Charon
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 31 2006, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (SR4 @ 83)
Uncouth characters are antisocial or sociopathic and have a difficult time interacting with others

Apparently the RAW agrees with me.

If you are going to be a fluff text lawyer instead of a rule lawyer, you should argue that the uncouth characteristic ought to grant a PC bonus dice to con and intimidation.

Sociopath and antisocials are typically very good at lying and manipulation. They do it like they breath. Indeed, they can hardly stop themselves from doing it, hence the pathology.

The mechanics do not reflect the fluff text which only shows that the writer didn't understand the precise meaning of these words when using them.

I wouldn't therefore pay any heed to the ''Sociopath'' portion of uncouth, unless you intend to add a ''poor impulse control'' mechanic while allowing normal use of the con and intimidation skills.

For my part, I only focused on the rule and their effects.
hobgoblin
So giving an extra 20 BP for a weakness that is already present in the character design and that the player presumably assume fully is silly. It only increase the realm of what he can do without increasing what he can't when compared to his team mates.

thing is that the flaw goes above and beyond having only the basics in charisma and no skills. you dont even have the basic social understanding expected by most human beings. and it allso makes it harder to develop in that area as each skill cost double what it would normaly cost, you cant buy them in groups, and there is no point in buying higher charisma (without allso buying the skills) as you cant default.

in comparison the non-uncouth can pick up some levels of social skill group and be right back in the game.

any character with uncouth is basicly stuck that way for the long run, and any attempt at correcting that will be expensive:

new skill? 8 karma (normaly 4 karma).
increase a existing skill? new rating x4 (x2x2 should be x4 iirc)

no-uncouth?
new skill: 4 karma
increase: new rating x2
new skill group: 10 karma (2 points more then what a uncouth have to pay for a single skill).
increase skill group: new rating x5
DireRadiant
The statement under discussion is that a "Low charisma character suffers no additional ill affects for taking the negative quality Uncouth".

Low charisma characters have problems in social situations similar to Uncouth characters, therefore there is no mechanical difference. They aren't going to roll much dice, if any, for social tests.

What is different between Uncouth and Low Charisma is that Uncouth is a Negative Quality. As a negative quality it requires GM intervention to activate or create circumstances to bring the negative quality into play. While the PC can introduce ro keep at bay a Negative quality through RP, ultimately it is the GM who determines whether a Negative Quality is in affect. Regardless of the PC's attempt to avoid the Negative Quality coming into play, the GM certainly can come up with a way to bring it into affect.

e.g. Hey, let's make Uncouth PC stay in the van. But the Johnson gave explicit instructions that everyone show up in person at the meet... oops social faux pas for everyone when Johnson discovers someone is in hiding.

As a GM, If you are not going to occasionally introduce and enforce Negative Quality affects in play, both mechanically and in RP, then you certainly shouldn't allow someone to take the Negative Quality and 20 BP. If you do allow Uncouth and the 20 BP, then you should ensure the effects come up occasionally.

It's my opinion the Negative Quality is well worth 20 BP. It's quite likely to be highly dangerous both to the PC, and to the team, far beyond what having simply a low charisma would do.

In contrast the low charisma character can get by because there is no reason for the PC or GM to really enforce any situations where the mechanics have any effects. And certainly it seems appropriate to allow RP to avoid those situations.

For reference, this is what "Unaware" generally does to skills. (Uncouth)

"Athletics Example: Couch potato.
Firearms Example: Never seen a gun before.
Technical Example: Shapeshift er, Luddite, or someone born before the Computer Age.
Social Example: Hermit.
Vehicle Example: Has never seen a car before.
Knowledge Skill Example (Academic): Mentally damaged in some manner.
Knowledge Skill Example (Street): Lives alone in a cave."

Compare to rating 0 (Low charisma + 0 skill)

"Athletics Example: Has played catch with friends in the backyard.
Firearms Example: Point the barrel, pull the trigger.
Technical Example: Can send an email, browse a Matrix site, or store data on a commlink.
Social Example: Th e typical man on the street.
Vehicle Example: Basic operator’s license. Can get from here to there, but can’t handle driving in adverse conditions.
Knowledge Skill Example (Academic): High school student. Screamsheet-level of knowledge.
Knowledge Skill Example (Street): Never visited Seattle before, but can fi nd it on a map."
Charon
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 31 2006, 12:07 PM)
What is different between Uncouth and Low Charisma is that Uncouth is a Negative Quality. As a negative quality it requires GM intervention to activate or create circumstances to bring the negative quality into play. While the PC can introduce ro keep at bay a Negative quality through RP, ultimately it is the GM who determines whether a Negative Quality is in affect. Regardless of the PC's attempt to avoid the Negative Quality coming into play, the GM certainly can come up with a way to bring it into affect.

Well now that's the crux of the matter isn't it.

Do I run down the uncouth character with tailored situation that the rest of the PC rarely encounter?

Let's say a PC has been sitting in his car for the past 15 minutes in a Bellevue neighborhood, acting lookout while another PC is doing B&E in a residential house. I might decide a cop is going to show up, tap on his window and ask him what's his business. (Most likely I'd roll a number of dice based on the neighborhood and come up with an hindrance proportionate to the number of success, but you get the idea). That's a perfectly good occasion to test a PC's glibness of tongue.

If that PC turns out to be uncouth or simply has charisma 1 and no social skill, I'm gonna have a good laugh.

But should I do it more often if it's Mr. Uncouth sitting in the car? And should I not bother if it's the Faceman sitting in the car instead?

Why the hell would I?

That's what I call 'Kryptonite' syndrome. Every week a writer of Superman has to find a weird excuse to plug kryptonite in his stories. If I do that kind of thing, players are soon gonna realize that for some reason, even though Mr. uncouth tries to mind his own business, he gets called out by a variety of random characters much more often than anyone else. But Mr. Faceman, who could easily handle such curve ball, mostly get to use his talents when he proactively seek people out because the GM is too busy directing unexpected social challeneges at the guy who can't handle them.

And that's just not good GMing IMO.

EDIT : As an aside, If a PC looks suspicious I might throw more security his way. But this isn't so much a function of uncouth as of the player'S style. A charismatic ex-gang member who likes displaying his tattoos is going to get more of this kind of attention than a Leon-like ultra shy PC.
Lagomorph
One thing that hasn't been examined, what does 20 points really get you?

Honestly, it's really not that much.

You can get:
2 points in an attribute (for +2 dice to several skills, or +1 wound box)
A skill of 5, or a skill of 4 with a specialization.
100,000 nuyen.gif To buy gear with.

You could get contacts, but you're already not buying them if you're Uncouth.

For any character who takes the Uncouth Flaw, they'll most likely get a few extra dice to throw. Considering that anyone who takes that is going to be MinMaxing anyway, they'll already have maxed their Shoot/Hack/Rig/Melee skills already. So they get a skill or attribute boost in a secondary area, or use those points to finish out their primary area.

It's not like they'll get a whole lot for it. Now they can't talk to save their life, but they're pretty good with grenade launchers.

I don't think it really makes much difference. Yes there is a mechanical disadvantage listed in the books. No it's not crippling. But you don't get much either.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Charon)

But should I do it more often if it's Mr. Uncouth sitting in the car?

Yes, he chose the negative quality, he gets to deal with the consequences. If you do otherwise then you are not making it a negative quality.

Maybe the cop wouldn't have bothered a normal guy, but the uncouth character's complete lack of social skills means the guilt is plain as day on his face when he watches the cop drive by.
Charon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 31 2006, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (Charon @ Jul 31 2006, 12:41 PM)

But should I do it more often if it's Mr. Uncouth sitting in the car?

Maybe the cop wouldn't have bothered a normal guy, but the uncouth character's complete lack of social skills means the guilt is plain as day on his face when he watches the cop drive by.

Hmm, that argument stands if we compare Mr. Uncouth to Mr. Faceman but not to Charisma 1 guy.

In my example the cop reacted to the simple fact that there was a guy waiting in a car for a prolonged period. Any PC would have been approached.

But if it's a situation where the cop's intuition is at work, I guess the mechanics would be something like the cop's perception test opposed by Charisma + Etiquette of the target. I'll check when I get home.

Uncouth and Charisma 1 do equally bad. To then target the uncouth for even more police abuse by GM fiat is not something I'd do. And nothing in the description of the Flaw says I should. The mechanics are exposed clearly. If we get into that kind of special treatment by the GM, the real BP value would fluctuate wildly and I'm pretty sure that was never the intent.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Has anyone mentioned the fact that shopping for gear is a charisma + negotiation test with (availablity) threshold?

Good luck buying...just about anything, really.
James McMurray
In my example the cop reacted to the simple fact that there was a guy waiting in a car for a prolonged period. Any PC would have been approached.

Then I think it's a poor example, which is why I added my own reasoning behind why things happen more often to people with flaws.

edit: The difference between my setup and yours is that not everyone would have been approached. The cop would have looked over at Faceman, melted under his glittering smile, and drove away secure in the knowledge that there was a fine, upright citizen looking out for the neighborhood. He would have run the plates on Mr. Unskilled, but moved on if nothing turned up. He would have questioned Mr. Uncouth because of the obvious guilt and/or other social clues that our unaware friend can't hide.

Hmm, that argument stands if we compare Mr. Uncouth to Mr. Faceman but not to Charisma 1 guy.

The difference is between unaware and unskilled. The charisma 1 guy knows he sucks and so he studiously reads his paper. The uncouth guy shouts out "quit staring at me you bastard!"

You keep looking at dice pools, but not everything breaks down to a die roll, at least not in my group. If your game's social situations do not draw a distinction between unskilled and unaware then you should definitely ban Uncouth, which you're already doing, so I'm not sure why we're still going back and forth on it (other than I'm bored) smile.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 31 2006, 07:13 AM)
For an Uncouth person who qualifies as antisocial/sociopathic, falling in love is virtually impossible. For him to do so twice the way he did (once in Italy, again for Matilda) completely rules out him being Uncouth.

Very good points. The language barrier limit is a fairly workable way to see him. He certainly wasn't antisocial in a clinical definition as per the link you provided.

But in a general shunning of society in a largely voluntary way, for the practical reason of being a man wanted for murder and an illegal immigrant, he was. He could be, in game terms, picking up the NQ when he snuffs the father and then "buying off" the NQ with Matilda. Afterall he nearly leaves Matilda in the hallway to die. The story is really turning on that, and a major enough event for me to envision someone playing out the buying off of their Negative Quality that way.
hobgoblin
and like i have pointed out again and again, mr charisma 1 can buy himself out of the troubles relativly fast ones he have got some karma gatherd. mr uncouth basicly cant.

not all disadvantages have to be in your face from the word go...
being a shadowrunner isnt about running a sprint, its about surviving a marathon...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Charon)
But should I do it more often if it's Mr. Uncouth sitting in the car?  And should I not bother if it's the Faceman sitting in the car instead?

If you are going to allow a negative quality and give 20 BP for it, then you must do this. If you are not going to play out the Negative Quality effects, then do not allow it.

This is your choice, there is nothing wrong with either choice. There is something wrong if you do allow someone to take the negative quality for extra BP and do not do anything to raise negative effects.

The challenge may be justifying in game why Uncouth character gets extra attention, but it is because they are Uncouth and unaware. They are not normal. Not normal people stand out.
hyzmarca
Uncouth doesn't mean your anti-social and sociopath. Uncouth means that you use the F-word at a formal dinner party and don't understand why everyone is looking at you funny. It is a lack of understanding of what is and is not appropriate in a given social situation or, in the case of the Quality, an inability to understand these things.
Brahm
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 31 2006, 05:15 PM)
Uncouth doesn't mean your anti-social and sociopath.

It does however mean the character is antisocial OR sociopathic. Whether or not that means antisocial in a strictly clinical sense isn't particularly clear. I would say likely not since a sociopath is clinically suffers from Antisocial Personality Disorder. Which would make the or spurious since they would be equivalent to each other.
QUOTE (First line of the description @ page 83)
Uncouth characters are antisocial or sociopathic and have a
diffi cult time interacting with others.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Uncouth means that you use the F-word at a formal dinner party and don't understand why everyone is looking at you funny. It is a lack of understanding of what is and is not appropriate in a given social situation or, in the case of the Quality, an inability to understand these things.

I think thats probably the best description of it.
ethinos
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 31 2006, 05:15 PM)
Uncouth doesn't mean your anti-social and sociopath. Uncouth means that you use the F-word at a formal dinner party and don't understand why everyone is looking at you funny.  It is a lack of understanding of what is and is not appropriate in a given social situation or, in the case of the Quality, an inability to understand these things.

Unfortunately, no matter what the dictionary says, uncouth operates exactly how the authors intended the quality to function.

"Uncouth characters are antisocial or sociopathic and have a difficult time interacting with others."

It's quite possible that they should've used a different word (or phrase) to identify the quality, but they ended up with Uncouth. Uncouth is more crude and rude, while they are more describing a person with a withdrawn personality.

Maybe they should've used "Social Pariah" or "Social Outcast". They were basically describing the two kids from Columbine. Maybe Ted Kaczinsky (the Unabomber). Definitely, the weird old lady with 9 cats down the street.
HappyDaze
Sociopath and antisocials are typically very good at lying and manipulation. They do it like they breath. Indeed, they can hardly stop themselves from doing it, hence the pathology.

I work in the mental health field, and that is crap. Yes, many individuals diagnosed as sociopathic and/or antisocial - although the're are far more detailed terms to cover the full range - have a tendency towards lying and manipulative behavior, but that doesn't mean that they are any good at it. Sure, you might fall for it once, but their lies typically become very transparent very quickly.

For Uncouth, I think of Randal from Clerks and (most recently) Clerks II... Porch Monkey For Life! (Taking it back!)
Glyph
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Glyph)
And if such a character can function that way, and have little or no problems, then maybe uncouth is an inappropriate flaw for your campaign.

Again with the ''In my campaign I'd make it a flaw but hey if youcan't...''

As if failing a social test, or any test, was the end of the world. The point of the game is to tell interesting stories which sometime means failing. The first Star Wars Saga wouldn't be nearly so interesting wihout several failures in episode V.

For the Uncouth to fail a basic social test and screw the run is no different than for a hot shot hacker to screw up a very tough hacking check and screw up the run. The end result is the same.

The point of the PC statistics is to define their abilities. What they are good at and what they suck at. So that when balanced against each other they are roughly as valuable as member of the team. But after that point, their strength are worth no more than their weaknesses for storytelling purpose.

And for the last time, yes, having low social ability is a weakness in my game. And not being able to fight well is a weakness when you've been cornered by ghouls. And damn if not being a magician isn't a weakness when a spirit attacks. Even not being able to force open an electronically locked door, through skill or strength, is a very damning weakness when you're locked in and a pack of flesh form spirits are tracking you.

But stories are made of these. You try to compensate for your weakness by whatever strength you have and failing that the story take a dramatic hard turn left. Teams do their best to make sure the right member is present to deal with the appropriate challenge. And when you fail that, you try to roll with it. And you still have fun in the end. Which is the point.

People think failing a roll is some kind of punishment. It's just part of the story, people!

It's funny so many seems to think my campaigns are somehow friendly to low charisma PC when I'm arguing in favor of deprieving these guys of an extra 20 BP.

What I was saying is that uncouth is mechanically similar to a Charisma: 1 and no social skills only at character generation (even then, you have the difference between "unaware" and "rating: 0" social skills - someone with etiquette of 0 will still know not to belch loudly at a dinner meeting, for example).

Sure, failing rolls is part of the game. Heck, playing flawed characters can be fun. But for there to continue to be no difference between the two characters, they both need to stay exactly where they are.

So if someone can play in your campaign and not need, or want, to ever improve their social skills, then yes, your campaign is "friendly" to low charisma PCs (nothing wrong with that, by the way).

I'm not saying have the cops hassle them all of the time or throw contrived situations at them; I agree that's lame. But after a while (especially after their combat skills have been maxed out), maybe they will want to improve to the point where they can at least function in social situations instead of standing around awkwardly while everyone else hunts down leads, negotiates for better compensation, etc.
Jaid
and apart from long shot tests, it still stands that mr Charisma 1 and no social skills can make a test, provided he has bonus dice from something. give him a really good fake ID and he can con that guard into believing he belongs. give him, say, a street cred rating and he can make checks now, or even give him notoriety and he can use that too. get him some tailored pheromones, or any other bonus, and he can now make a check.

Mr uncouth cannot make a check, no matter what, until he has started to feel the pain of the negative quality by buying the skill. social skill modifiers are not all that uncommon you know... consider how many people will start off with a point of notoriety (including mr. uncouth, for that matter), and consider how many runners will have a point of street cred after they've gained 10 karma (hint: that's pretty much everyone who didn't start with a point of notoriety, and probably some that did start off with a point of notoriety)...

so within a few sessions, even if he hasn't done a single damn thing about improving his social skills, mr charisma 1/no skills will likely be able to make at least some checks, whereas mr uncouth/charimsa 1/no skills still couldn't intimidate a two year old.
ethinos
I think the difference between a 1 Charisma character and an Uncouth character would at least entail roleplaying it more completely and more obviously.

At 1 Charisma, no one is motivated much at first to like you.

With Uncouth (according to RAW), no one likes you and your attitude probably won't foster a change in the near or even far future.
Charon
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jul 31 2006, 08:36 PM)

I work in the mental health field, and that is crap. Yes, many individuals diagnosed as sociopathic and/or antisocial - although the're are far more detailed terms to cover the full range - have a tendency towards lying and manipulative behavior, but that doesn't mean that they are any good at it. Sure, you might fall for it once, but their lies typically become very transparent very quickly.

All right, so maybe "typically very good" isn't quite accurate.

But it's still better than the lying aptitude of a SR Uncouth which was my point.

Ted Bundy did manage to lure at least 30 women to their death by having some aptitude for deception. So "Sociopath" isn't a very good flavor adjective for Uncouth is all I'm saying.

---

Okay so I guess I've said and read all I need on the subject.

Bottom line is I'll just ban that quality for my campaign and save myself the trouble.

1 - Mechanically I maintain there is no difference between Uncouth and Charisma 1 with no skill except for the duly noted fact that a Charisma 1 PC can make a long shot test while most likely an uncouth can't although I haven't seen a definitive ruling on the subject.

2 - My GMing style favors randomized unforeseen incident. The mission objectives are tailored, so is the main opposition and of course the major plot twists, but for the little surprises I prefer to randomly spring them on the PCs based on transparent modifiers. I'd litteraly assign a probability of encountering a police patrol car or a bunch of stoner teens based on environment and characters actions/precautions, briefly explain why I chose these figures and roll in the open. Usually leading to sigh of relief or groans of despair which is half of my fun in those situations.

In SR4 I guess just good etiquette could suffice in many case to have these people pass their way with just a friendly nod. Something a low charisma PC would have trouble with. But I have no intention whatsoever of adding "Because you are uncouth" in the list of modifiers so that these situation occurs more to Mr. Uncouth. I don't see why cops would stumble across him more often than anyone else. It would hurt suspension of disbelief.

3 - IMO the double cost of increasing social skills will lead the typical uncouth to increase everything but his social skills. If anything, I'd rather the player get a chance to change his mind half way through the campaign and easily start increasing his social skills if he wishes. With uncouth, he'll just stay locked in this mode and become an electronic expert or a backup hacker much before he does any work on his social aptitude. Which is counter productive IMO.

So by preventing these kind of players to get an extra 20 BP, I not only keep the overall power level between PCs balanced, I make it easier on the "no social" PC to eventually change his mind and join the gang. Win-Win.

Thanks for anyone who contributed. I hope I didn't come accross as close-minded or uncivil, it was never my intent.
Cain
There's another thing to consider. Namely, that point-for-point, Uncouth/Uneducated/Infirm are actually highly *inefficient* ways of gaining points, especially when compared to buying Incompetent. Leaving aside the fact that you can skillwire your way past the defaulting issue in both cases, the fact is that you can gain more points with less pain by simply buying the appropriate Incompetences.

For example, if you buy Uncouth, you've gained 20 points and effectively barred yourself from 6 different skills. OTOH, if you buy 4 Incompetences, you can gain the exact same amount, and still keep certain useful skills. In this case, he might keep Negotiation and Con, so he can talk his way out of a corner and make it through meets.

The other "group incompetences" are even worse. Uneducated effectively blocks you out of *nineteen* active skills, plus all the Academic and Professional knowledge skills. For that, you can get the max of 35 points in flaws, and still have up to twelve active technical skills to choose from, plus the full array of knowledge skills.

Played right, these can be even more of a nonexistant disadvantage: let's say that you have a sammie who takes Incompetences in Aeronautics Mechanic, Cybertechnology, Medicine, Nautical Mechanic, Software, Hardware, and Industrial Mechanic. These are valid choices; but the catch is that you can't default to those skills anyway. Since the biggest drawback to the Incompetence flaw is that you can't default, this really renders the whole thing moot.
BlueRondo
On the topic of the worth of qualities, what do you folks think of the Photographic Memory quality? Do memory tests show up frequently enough for it to be useful, and do you think the -1 threshold modifier is effective enough for a 10 point quality?
James McMurray
Charon: given that setup you are definitely correct in banning the quality. If there are going to be no differences betwenn the two, they shouldn't get free points.

Cain: gotta love that "GM approval" stage. smile.gif

BlueRondo: It totally depends on the player. Some players never write anything down and expect the GM to remind them whenever they can't recall something. Those guys may wantt o consider the quality, because it's effectively three bonus dice on average.
Charon
QUOTE (BlueRondo @ Aug 1 2006, 08:24 AM)
On the topic of the worth of qualities, what do you folks think of the Photographic Memory quality?  Do memory tests show up frequently enough for it to be useful, and do you think the -1 threshold modifier is effective enough for a 10 point quality?

I was thinking the main advantage of photographic memory would be the ability to easily remember complex data without actually having to download it and maintain it in digital form.

Given how much hacking can happen these days in SR, having your whole contact phonebook memorized without it appearing in digital form anywhere can be an advantage.

It's an edge that an inflitration expert would be able to exploit a lot more than a random runner. If you can infiltrate a secure location and memorize most of the data you need without downloading it in any way, it's easier to leave no trace or not get caught while smuggling it out.

Of course there is an effective limit to what you can memorize in this digital world.

This probably should have its own topic.
Lagomorph
Would photographic memory allow TM's to store data in their brain?!? (okay, I'm just being facetious don't mind me)
James McMurray
I would allow it, but on a very limited basis.
neon_samurai
Any gamemaster that lets a play take the lowest possible Charisma and not suffer on a daily basis is a fool, and a poor GM.

Top that with uncouth (sp) and you shouldn't even be able to buy nerps because the store owners have banned you from comming in. No Johnson will stomach you, and you certainly won't find anything pleasant in corpland.

Everybody wants to play El Duche but no one ever puts thought to the fact that gun bunnies and salad shooters are the most useless archtype available. Wow, you can kill a troll sam in one adepted shot? But which trolls will you kill if the Johnsons won't give you a job?

Final thought, charisma is the difference in the cop saying, "Right this way, Sir. We'd like to ask you a few questions." and "How do you like the taste of this taser?"
Nimbex
QUOTE (Cain)
Played right, these can be even more of a nonexistant disadvantage: let's say that you have a sammie who takes Incompetences in Aeronautics Mechanic, Cybertechnology, Medicine, Nautical Mechanic, Software, Hardware, and Industrial Mechanic. These are valid choices; but the catch is that you can't default to those skills anyway. Since the biggest drawback to the Incompetence flaw is that you can't default, this really renders the whole thing moot.

My recollection is that the Mechanic skills cannot be defaulted to, and thus cannot be taken as Incompetent. But I could be misremembering.

If that's not in the rules as written, then it's my house rule: players may not take Incompetent in a non-defaultable skill.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Nimbex)

My recollection is that the Mechanic skills cannot be defaulted to, and thus cannot be taken as Incompetent. But I could be misremembering.

If that's not in the rules as written, then it's my house rule: players may not take Incompetent in a non-defaultable skill.

Doesn't say in the book, but I'd houserule that sucker too. At least it doesn't say under the Quality's entry. Doesn't say you can't take it for Magical or Resonance skills either. That seems pretty cheap! Only mentions that Knowledge and Language skills can't be touched.

I think i'd allow a character to take Magical incompetentcies (sp?) if he rolepayed it well. Like absolutely freakin' out the first time he sees the team mage cast. Or not trusting magic, running away when weird stuff starts going down. Resonance though, most people don't know much about technos anyway. I'd go so far as to say you're already unaware.
Glyph
Only awakened characters may take magical skills. Only technomancers may take resonance skills. I wouldn't allow any player to take an incompetency in a skill that he wouldn't even be allowed to take in the first place. Talk about free points!
BishopMcQ
You also have to remember that someone who is incompetent has to make tests for everyday things that the rest of us take for granted. Incompetent at software, make a Logic test to program your commlink.

Brahm
QUOTE (neon_samurai)
Any gamemaster that lets a play take the lowest possible Charisma and not suffer on a daily basis is a fool, and a poor GM.

Suffer? On a daily basis? That doesn't sound like a particularly good GM at all. frown.gif

As for Incompetent it certainly needs to be watched closer than other Negative Qualities as it is far more abusable than others. But a lot of them are entirely acceptabe 5 BP drawbacks if you think a little deeper about them, such as the Software example McQuillan gave.
neon_samurai
Actually those are the best GM's, most people balk at the idea because 90% of gamers operate on the old DnD philosophy of "Who needs Charisma?"

Think about it, you put a 1 into charisma, you're not "The Loner" or "The Enigma". Those guys HAVE charisma. You are more like "The Slob" or "The Moron". You never say the right thing (oh but you try), you might just stink a little, or have a case of boils that make others not want to be around you.

So yes, you should suffer everyday for putting a 1 into charisma.

You know, if charisma could shoot a gun or dodge a bullet, nobody would go without it.

<<Yes already to the comments to follow, played right, Charisma can kill just as easily as a bullet>>
Brahm
IMO the bad GMs are the ones that focus on beating over the head people that take perfectly legal low Charisma and making them suffer. They seem to me to lack the imagination or drive to give a positive reason to play a character with higher Charisma. The good ones are the ones that provide opportunities for people with decent Charisma and social skills, not just the maximized Charisma/social skills, to shine in their time in a game and have cool things happen.

If a game didn't focus so much on shooting then people wouldn't worry so much about whether Charisma helped you shoot a gun.

EDIT
<<Yes already to the comments to follow, played right, Charisma can kill just as easily as a bullet>>

Then why do you need to beat people over the head? Why does it need to be "played right"? Why does it need to "kill"? It doesn't need to be particularly high to have good things happen, right?
Charon
QUOTE (neon_samurai @ Aug 2 2006, 09:07 AM)
Actually those are the best GM's, most people balk at the idea because 90% of gamers operate on the old DnD philosophy of "Who needs Charisma?"

The job of a GM is not to make PCs suffer or punish them.

You present them with challenges. Obviously the charisma 1 PC ain't gonna tackle any challenge with his social skills head on. Hopefully he has buddies who can help him in that regard. A low charisma PC isn't aproblem ; a team with uniformly low charisma is a problem. Teams are supposed to complete each other most of time. And when this fails, it is no more tragic for a charisma 1 PC to be confronted by a social challenge than it is for a weak PC to be threatened by physical violence. Shit happens.

See a team of 5 as 2000 BP instead of 5 pack of 400. If not one PC on this team can muster at the very least 8 dice for a con or etiquette test, you have a big problem. But OTOH if every damn PC in this team is good enough to bring at least 7 dice to bear in such situations, you have other problems. By virtue of limited ressource, it becomes a mathematical certainty that this team is less well prepared to handle othetr type of challenges because there are only so many BP to go around.

And Charisma 1 people are not 'Morons' unless they also tank their logic and intuition. Since most Charisma 1 PC are hacker or fighter type, this is unlikely.

A great example of a character in fiction with low charisma is Chloe O'Brian from 24. She's so socially inept that many are speculating that the authors are implying she suffers from asperger syndrome (A mild form of autism).

She's not a moron and she manages to function very well in her role, which is obviously not not infiltrate the enemy! Her lack of social skills do put her in hot water in many episode (And is in fact the only comic relief this series has) but it's usually no life threatening because she avoid putting herself in situations where it would be life threatening. Now if Jack Bauer was this bad at social interactions, it would be another story.
James McMurray
A charisma of 1 (bare human minimum) makes your life a living hell, especially if combined with no social skills. This is true in real life, it should be true in the game as well. It can be mitigated somewhat by avoiding human contact whenever possible, but that also has its downsides.

I think "suffer" is a strong word for it, but I don't think the original poster was advocating torture. More advocating that the abyssmally low social skills inherent in a 1 charisma should have a negative impact on the character's life.
James McMurray
Does O;Brien live in a world where not being liked can get you beatings or worse?
Charon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 2 2006, 09:46 AM)
Does O;Brien live in a world where not being liked can get you beatings or worse?

Yes.

What, you think rough neigborhoods exists only in SR?!

If I were a charisma 1 PC in SR I'd rent under a fake ID in a white collar neighborhood and mind my own business between run. There you go.

Would this PC have a successful love and social life? Well, he sure wouldn't be the most popular guy in town but, you'd be surprised. Many 'uncharismatic' person are good company once you have succeeded against the odds to establish a relationship.

I mean, who do you think is more fun to hang with ; 'Charisma 1, Intuition 5 and logic 4' or 'Charisma 5, intuition 1 and logic 2'?

Some charismatic people are insanely vacuous once you go beneath the veneer and quickly become unsufferable. The type that are great saleman but awful firend/spouse. OTOH, one of my best friend is a guy I strongly disliked for over a year before finally getting to know him. Annoying voice, lack confidence, bad posture, too eager to establish contact when he meets someone he has common ground with... the full monthy. But he's a damn good friend once the relation is securely established. Has a nice girl friend and a good job as a programmer (not making this up! Sometime stereotype have some truth). Sure, he basically has had the same social circle for the past 10 years and I doubt he'll be promoted in a post of authority at his company, but hey, he'd soing all right.

So yeah, a charisma 1 PC can rent in a quiet neighborhood and keep to himself except for a few close friends. Ring any bell? You probably have plenty of neighbor like that, more or less. Assuming they have useful skill, they are functioning member of society.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 2 2006, 09:46 AM)

Yes.

I don't watch the show. Are you saying that the character has been beaten up in the past while walking through a bad neighborhood because nobody likes her?

If I were a charisma 1 PC in SR I'd rent under a fake ID in a white collar neighborhood and mind my own business between run. There you go.

You're mitigating it exactly as I said you could. Great! Glad you liked my idea smile.gif
Charon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 2 2006, 10:05 AM)
I don't watch the show. Are you saying that the character has been beaten up in the past while walking through a bad neighborhood because nobody likes her?

No but she makes every effort not to be put in a situation where it would be an issue. And you sure as hell wouldn't see her waltzing into a biker bar where he notorious lack of social skill would get her beaten or worse.

She's the best computer analyst / hacker in the show and she kicked quite a fuss the one time she was forced into the field. She's like the Hacker of a SR team. She sucks at social interaction, sometime to very funny result, but she usually manage to stay out of situation where it would be a serious issue. She knows what she's good at and try to maximize her strenght and minimize her weaknesses. But she's unlikely to get promoted very far in the organization. God, she's tactless!

You're mitigating it exactly as I said you could. Great! Glad you liked my idea smile.gif

Well, I was always on the 'it can be seriously mitigated' side so it's nothing new.

But aren't you on the side of 'It would be hell'?

QUOTE (James McMuray)
A charisma of 1 (bare human minimum) makes your life a living hell, especially if combined with no social skills

I believe you are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012