Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Art of Cyberpunk
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Gabriel (Argus #2323)
What are your favorite Cyberpunk themed movies? Generally I like them all; the only ones I can think of are Johnny Mnemonic, Blade Runner, Robocop (1 and 2 rock), The Matrix (the first one is really cyberpunky, anyway), Ghost in the Shell (both movies and the series are awesome)... Any others I should know about? I'd especially like to find more cyberpunk animes.

What about books? I know about Gibson, and have been looking into his work recently.

Video games? Besides the Shadowrun game for Sega (which is still a blast), I haven't played any cyberpunk games.

Comics? There has got to be some great cyberpunk comics out there. I've only ever read Silent Dragon, but it was pretty damn good.

I'm just gonna google this stuff, but I figured that I'd ask the experts.
nezumi
I think there are threads on all of these. Just search for them. I know there's a long list of movies and comics available, at least (not that most of them are any good. I'd only really recommend Blade Runner and Strange Days).
JackRipper
John Walter Williams wrote a book called "Hardwired", it about a street Samurai, and a Rigger. The rigger being the main character. Of course they dont go by those labels (Samurai or Rigger) and i'm pretty sure either FASA SR or Williams helped inspire what a rigger is.(Not sure who inspired who there)

If you like riggers, you'll love this book.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Gabriel (Argus #2323) @ Aug 2 2006, 02:00 AM)
Video games? Besides the Shadowrun game for Sega (which is still a blast), I haven't played any cyberpunk games.

There are plenty of cyberpunk games. I don't think I can make complete list but I can give you a few recomendations.

Shadowrun SNES Nothing like the Genesis version.

Shadowrun Sega CD Japanese only

Rise of the Dragon Sega CD, PC Sort of Shadowrunny detective adventure.

Snatcher Sega CD, PC Engine, Saturn, MSX, Playstation Hideo Kojima ripped off every cyberpunk movie ever made in this one.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Playstation 2, XBox Sort of Cyberpunk

Deus Ex PC, Playstation 2, Mac, XBox

Deus Ex:Invisible War PC, XBox

System Shock PC

System Shock 2 PC

Maken X Dreamcast I can't recomend this game enough. You play a sentient sword with mind control powers caught in between two equally totalitarian global domination schemes in a world ruled by mutant cyborg Nazis led by an even more powerful sentient sword.
SpasticTeapot
All I know is that I like cyberpunk books. I don't need no newfangled video-whoozles.

Now, where did I put that datajack....
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
All I know is that I like cyberpunk books.

Snow Crash. Neal Stephenson.
HullBreach
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Aug 14 2006, 11:59 PM)

ANYTHING by Neal Stephenson!
nezumi
QUOTE (HullBreach)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 15 2006, 12:52 AM)

Even the Big U?

HullBreach
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Aug 17 2006, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 15 2006, 12:52 AM)

Even the Big U?

Well.....it shows how much he's grown as a writer! LOL

Seriously, have you ever gone back a read some of what you wrote when you were younger? Some of my old high school essays make me wonder how my teachers didn't think I was on crack.
HullBreach
Most of Masamune Shirow's stuff (Manga & Anime) has a distinct cyber-punk feel to it. In the (Manga) sequel to Ghost in the Shell, Aramaki & Co. are using a mystic (psychic) to help them track and contact the Major. Made me think of ritual sorcery right off the bat.

His (Manga again) of Black Magic M-66 has just enough magic mixed in amoung the killer assasin robots to make it very shadowrun-esque. The Anime of this was pretty good too, even though they dropped the mystic angle.

Orion(Manga) had really pretty artwork, and I still think it's main character inspired Rumiko Takehashi's Inu-Yasha, but it didn't weather the translation well.

Finally we come to Appleseed. If you havent seen the new version yet rent it! It's well worth the money, and the soundtrack done by the Boom-Boom Satelites and a bunch of other big names in techno/house. It's theme is more CP2020 than shadowrun, but it wouldn't take a big stretch of the imagination to make it work.

BTW, if you can score his Intron depot art books they provide some great inspiration for gear and characters.
lorechaser
Reviving a thread:

I'm trying to find *any* sort of Ork themed art around. There are a few pics in the books, but none of them really work - I'm really just looking for something that generally represents my character.

Any know of a good place to look? I've seen the SRArtwork site, but nothing there really fit....
strstr
Here's a (legal) link to a good movie that shows a whole bunch of scenes from cyberpunk classics, over a pretty neat soundtrack.

http://www.cyberpunkfilm.com/

Personally I thought it was pretty awesome smile.gif Opinions would diverge though, I am certain...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012