Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Street Magic in Missions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
the_dunner
Here's a quick preview of the key part of an article that will be appearing in the (now late) July 2006 issue of Commando Quarterly.
---------------------
The vast majority of the book is available to Shadowrun Missions characters, as soon as players purchase it. This includes all of the new traditions, adept powers, mentor spirits, metamagics, qualities, skills and spells. Of course, existing characters cannot switch their tradition or mentor spirit, but new characters are welcome to use those. The bad news is that GMs are encouraged to also use the new Focus Addiction and Geasa rules.

There are two key items that aren’t well suited to a worldwide campaign, and those have to be noted. GMs who are using Missions for their home campaigns have the right to do as they wish. However, if a character is to remain portable for convention play, these need to be excluded.

1. Shadowrun Missions characters cannot use any of the NPC traditions or metamagics outlined in the Magical Threats chapter. Those abilities just aren’t designed for balanced PCs, especially in a worldwide campaign with different GMs.
2. For now, we will not be implementing the spell design rules for PC use. There’s simply too much room for GM interpretation to allow us to give PCs that much leeway. However, if folks propose new spells on the Dumpshock Shadowrun Missions forums, we may include a list of additional Shadowrun Missions spells in a future issue of Commando Quarterly. All such spells will be subject to review by the Shadowrun Missions writing team.
--------------
If you'd like to design a new spell for your Missions character to use, this is as good a place as any to post it. smile.gif
Deacon
By that, do you mean under this thread, or should we start a separate thread to keep things orderly?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Deacon)
By that, do you mean under this thread, or should we start a separate thread to keep things orderly?

If you've got ideas, just toss 'em in this thread. Everything can be edited and cleaned up if need be. wink.gif
Aaron
Spell idea (with a terrible name):

Fake ID (Physical Manipulation)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) - 1
Fake ID affects image links and displays, such as those used by Denver border crossing personnel. The spell alters the display to indicate that the license or SIN being checked is valid. The caster must get at least four (4) hits on his Spellcasting test in order for this spell to have effect.

This is the kind of thing you're looking for, ne?
the_dunner
Looks like something that could be popular. wink.gif
toturi
I take it that the Magical Groups and alternate traditions in SM are legal then?
the_dunner
QUOTE (toturi)
I take it that the Magical Groups and alternate traditions in SM are legal then?

Absolutely.
toturi
I have a question about implementation of the Many Faces of Mentors.

There are canon example of what each Mentor can be portrayed. Are GM expected to enforce these and certain traditions do not fit some Mentors well?

1) For example, while a Sun Druid may see his Mentor as Lugh, there are no Fire spirits for the Druid to call on.

2) Second, can a Aztec nahualli have say, Dragonslayer, as a Mentor instead of those stated in the Aztec section of Many Faces section?
the_dunner
QUOTE (toturi)
There are canon example of what each Mentor can be portrayed. Are GM expected to enforce these and certain traditions do not fit some Mentors well?

The examples in the back of Street Magic are simply examples, they're not the be all end all. If a Player wants a different expression of a mentor spirit and a GM is amenable to it, then I'm cool with it.
pbangarth
QUOTE (the_dunner)

The vast majority of the book is available to Shadowrun Missions characters, as soon as players purchase it. This includes all of the new traditions, adept powers, mentor spirits, metamagics, qualities, skills and spells. Of course, existing characters cannot switch their tradition or mentor spirit, but new characters are welcome to use those. The bad news is that GMs are encouraged to also use the new Focus Addiction and Geasa rules.

1. Shadowrun Missions characters cannot use any of the NPC traditions or metamagics outlined in the Magical Threats chapter. Those abilities just aren�t designed for balanced PCs, especially in a worldwide campaign with different GMs.
2. For now, we will not be implementing the spell design rules for PC use.

I asked the Shadowrun info line about the use of spirits from Street Magic as the object of the Spirit Bane Quality, for example Insect Spirits. Rob Boyle answered, saying it was basically up to the GM if he/she wanted to have such spirits in the campaign. So can this be done in Shadowrun Missions?

As an example, consider a character who has mustered out of the UCAS military after having done a stint in Chicago. It seems reasonable that he may have angered Insect Spirits during that time.

I understand that Insect Spirits are less likely to show up in play, and so might be seen as a near freebie for the Spirit Bane Quality, but the flip side is that those beasties tend not to show up alone. So, all of them would go after the hapless PC first! (Which, I guess from the party's standpoint, could be a bonus.)

I haven't spent much thought on the other new spirit types in Street Magic, but I can imagine some kind of eco-crusader character who dedicates his life to fighting Toxic Spirits.
the_dunner
QUOTE (pbangarth)
I asked the Shadowrun info line about the use of spirits from Street Magic as the object of the Spirit Bane Quality, for example Insect Spirits. Rob Boyle answered, saying it was basically up to the GM if he/she wanted to have such spirits in the campaign.

If your GM is pushing the limits of the adventures, and is cool with approving this, then that's the GM's call.

For purposes of most Missions adventures, I'm very comfortable stating that there are not currently any insect spirits or other threat spirits and it's unlikely that any will be appearing during the course of the Denver story arc. As such, I'd rather not see characters generated using threat spirits as banes.
BishopMcQ
There goes the concept I was about to pitch for the Invae taking control of Ghostwalker and Denver becoming the new Chicago...back to the drawing board I guess... smile.gif

On topic--Can we presume that spells listed here on DS in Missions forums are available to starting runners to purchase at Character Creation? The Fake ID spell would allow my mage to cross borders without dealing with those pesky drones as he levitates invisibly across the fence.
pbangarth
QUOTE (the_dunner)
For purposes of most Missions adventures, I'm very comfortable stating that there are not currently any insect spirits or other threat spirits and it's unlikely that any will be appearing during the course of the Denver story arc. As such, I'd rather not see characters generated using threat spirits as banes.

OK. That's nice and clear. Thanks.
pbangarth
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 9 2006, 11:56 PM)

Absolutely.

OK, so if two PCs in SRM want to start a magical group, what is the meta-gaming procedure?

There are two of us who are adepts who have channeled magic into (among other things) their musical ability. So I am toying with the idea of starting a magical group for those who have used magic to enhance their artistic performance abilities. A 'jam session with metaplanar, meta-magical overtones'.

Not a power-gaming group, to be sure, but I think it can have some cool role playing aspects.
the_dunner
Use the standard procedures per SM p.69. Make your dice rolls in front of a your friendly local SRM GM. smile.gif
paws2sky
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Aug 14 2006, 09:38 AM) *
If you'd like to design a new spell for your Missions character to use, this is as good a place as any to post it. smile.gif

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 9 2007, 03:54 PM) *
On topic--Can we presume that spells listed here on DS in Missions forums are available to starting runners to purchase at Character Creation? The Fake ID spell would allow my mage to cross borders without dealing with those pesky drones as he levitates invisibly across the fence.

So, to get approval on a new spell, we just need to post it here and make sure all our i's are dotted and t's crossed? Correct?

If so, I'll get to work on whipping up descriptions of the other elemental combat spells, so we can make their inclusion all formal-like. grinbig.gif

-paws
the_dunner
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 6 2008, 01:06 PM) *
So, to get approval on a new spell, we just need to post it here and make sure all our i's are dotted and t's crossed? Correct?

That's correct. I'll look forward to approving those. smile.gif
paws2sky
I'll start with these. I'll edit and add more as time permits.

Combat Spells

Boom (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P * Range: LOS * Damage: P * Duration: I * DV: (F/2)+3

Shockwave (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
Type: P * Range: LOS (A) * Damage: P * Duration: I * DV: (F/2)+5
These spells create a powerful blast of wind that pummels the target with nearly hurricane force winds (see Blast elemental effect, Street Magic p. 164). Victims resist Physical damage, using half Impact armor. The winds are also extremely strong - add the spell's Force to the damage inflicted to determine knockdown. These spells can also break glass, stir up debris, and knock over small objects, at the GM's discretion.
Boom is a single-target spell, while Shockwave is an area spell.

Frost (Indirect, Elemental)

Blizzard (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells create a blast of intense cold, covering the target with a slick coating of frozen water (see the Ice elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). These spells inflict Cold damage (p. 154, SR4). Objects and terrain in the affected area will be encrusted with ice. Anyone trying to cross an icy surface may need to succeed in an Agility + Reaction Test to avoid slipping (with a threshold equal to the attack’s net hits); vehicles must make a Crash Test (p. 159, SR4). Depending on the local temperature, ice may melt quickly.
Frost is a single-target spell, while Blizzard is an area spell.

Laser (Indirect, Elemental)

Nova (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells burn their targets with a burst of searing light, mush like a conventional laser (see the Light elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). Damage inflicted is physical, resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up). The brightness of the Light effect will cause any targets to suffer a Glare modifier for one Combat Turn after the attack, unless they are equipped with flare compensation. As a secondary effect, Light damage may cause some highly flammable materials (like gasoline) to catch fire.
Laser is a single-target spell, while Nova is an area spell.

Frag (Indirect, Elemental)

Shred (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells call into being a spray of small metallic (iron) fragments, much like shrapnel (see the Metal elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). This attack is similar to flechette ammunition: increase the DV by +2, but add a +5 AP penalty. Damage is resisted with Impact armor. As a secondary effect, Metal damage may shred some easily cut materials like cheap fabric.
Frag is a single-target spell, while Shred is an area spell.

Dust Devil (Indirect, Elemental)

Sandstorm (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells strike their targets with a scouring blast of sand, much like a miniature sandstorm. The damage inflicted is Physical, resisted with half Impact (see the Sand elemental effect Street Magic, p. 165). The secondary effect of these spells is that the sans can jam and damage machinery or weapons that are not environmentally sealed or treated to resist desert conditions.
Dust Devil is a single-target spell, while Sandstorm is an area spell.

Steam (Indirect, Elemental)

Smoke Cloud (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These combat spells engulf the caster's target in thick, burning, choking fumes. The victim resists Stun as if from an inhalation vector toxin attack (see p. 244, SR4). Armor does not protect against this attack, but other protective gear might (see the Toxin Protection table, p. 245, SR4). Smoke also limits vision, inflicting the Heavy
Smoke visibility modifier against the target for one full Combat Turn.
Steam is a single-target spell, while Smoke Cloud is an area spell.

Screech (Indirect, Elemental)

Soundwave (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells strike the caster's target with a wave of unbelievably loud noise and gut-churning vibrations. Sound damage is treated as Stun damage. Armor has no effect, but sound dampers and spells like Silence and Hush add their rating/hits to the defender’s dice pool (effectively acting like sound armor). If the target suffers more damage boxes than his Willpower, he suffers the effects of nausea (p. 245, SR4) and is deafened for 10 minutes.
Screech is a single-target spell, while Soundwave is an area spell.

Hose (Indirect, Elemental)

Tsunami (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells douse their targets with a high pressure blast of water, like from a firehose. Water damage is treated as Physical damage and is resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up). Characters struck with a Water damage attack are more likely to be knocked down — add the Force to the damage inflicted when comparing to the defender’s Body (see Knockdown, p. 151, SR4). Water damage makes the target/area wet and may put out small fires (reduce the Fire DV by the attack’s DV) as well as short out sensitive/unwaterproofed electronics.
Hose is a single-target spell, while Tsunami is an area spell.

OP: added Boom, Shockwave, Frost, Blizzard
EDIT #1: added Laser, Nova, Frag, Shred
Final EDIT: added Dust Devil, Sanstorm, Steam, Smoke Cloud, Screech, Soundwave, Hose, and Tsunami
the_dunner
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 6 2008, 03:16 PM) *

Combat Spells

Boom (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
Shockwave (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 5
These spells create a powerful blast of wind that pummels the target with nearly hurricane force winds (see Blast elemental effect, Street Magic p. 164). Victims resist Physical damage, using half Impact armor. The winds are also extremely strong - add the spell's Force to the damage inflicted to determine knockdown. These spells can also break glass, stir up debris, and knock over small objects, at the GM's discression.
Boom is a single-target spell, while Shockwave is an area spell.

Frost (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
Blizzard (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 5
These spells create a blast of intense cold, covering the target with a slick coating of frozen water (see the Ice elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). These spells inflict Cold damage (p. 154, SR4). Objects and terrain in the affected area will be encrusted with ice. Anyone trying to cross an icy surface may need to succeed in an Agility + Reaction Test to avoid slipping (with a threshold equal to the attack’s net hits); vehicles must make a Crash Test (p. 159, SR4). Depending on the local temperature, ice may melt quickly.
Frost is a single-target spell, while Blizzard is an area spell.

Regardless, the 4 spells quoted here as listed in the first posting are approved.
paws2sky
Yep, that was double post. (First one I've had here, iirc.)
Ibet it happened when I was messing around with the formatting...
paws2sky
Okay, updated the single target and area effect elemental combat spells with the elemental effects listed in Street Magic (as suggest on p. 168).

What else might be needed or desired?

-paws
the_dunner
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 6 2008, 03:16 PM) *

Combat Spells

Laser (Indirect, Elemental)

Nova (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells burn their targets with a burst of searing light, much like a conventional laser (see the Light elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). Damage inflicted is physical, resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up). The brightness of the Light effect will cause any targets to suffer a Glare modifier for one Combat Turn after the attack, unless they are equipped with flare compensation. As a secondary effect, Light damage may cause some highly flammable materials (like gasoline) to catch fire.
Laser is a single-target spell, while Nova is an area spell.

Frag (Indirect, Elemental)

Shred (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells call into being a spray of small metallic (iron) fragments, much like shrapnel (see the Metal elemental effect Street Magic, p. 164). This attack is similar to flechette ammunition: increase the DV by +2, but add a +5 AP penalty. Damage is resisted with Impact armor. As a secondary effect, Metal damage may shred some easily cut materials like cheap fabric.
Frag is a single-target spell, while Shred is an area spell.

Dust Devil (Indirect, Elemental)

Sandstorm (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells strike their targets with a scouring blast of sand, much like a miniature sandstorm. The damage inflicted is Physical, resisted with half Impact (see the Sand elemental effect Street Magic, p. 165). The secondary effect of these spells is that the sans can jam and damage machinery or weapons that are not environmentally sealed or treated to resist desert conditions.
Dust Devil is a single-target spell, while Sandstorm is an area spell.

Steam (Indirect, Elemental)

Smoke Cloud (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These combat spells engulf the caster's target in thick, burning, choking fumes. The victim resists Stun as if from an inhalation vector toxin attack (see p. 244, SR4). Armor does not protect against this attack, but other protective gear might (see the Toxin Protection table, p. 245, SR4). Smoke also limits vision, inflicting the Heavy
Smoke visibility modifier against the target for one full Combat Turn.
Steam is a single-target spell, while Smoke Cloud is an area spell.

Screech (Indirect, Elemental)

Soundwave (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells strike the caster's target with a wave of unbelievably loud noise and gut-churning vibrations. Sound damage is treated as Stun damage. Armor has no effect, but sound dampers and spells like Silence and Hush add their rating/hits to the defender’s dice pool (effectively acting like sound armor). If the target suffers more damage boxes than his Willpower, he suffers the effects of nausea (p. 245, SR4) and is deafened for 10 minutes.
Screech is a single-target spell, while Soundwave is an area spell.

Hose (Indirect, Elemental)

Tsunami (Indirect, Elemental, Area)
These spells douse their targets with a high pressure blast of water, like from a firehose. Water damage is treated as Physical damage and is resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up). Characters struck with a Water damage attack are more likely to be knocked down — add the Force to the damage inflicted when comparing to the defender’s Body (see Knockdown, p. 151, SR4). Water damage makes the target/area wet and may put out small fires (reduce the Fire DV by the attack’s DV) as well as short out sensitive/unwaterproofed electronics.
Hose is a single-target spell, while Tsunami is an area spell.

These all look acceptable to me. Go ahead and use them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012