Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dodge This! (Best Matrix Quote)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sphynx
While talking to the 40dice player in our group about my plans to gather 24 dice for dodging, he tells me he can beat that with his current stats. nyahnyah.gif Of course, I'm shocked so I ask him how since he's never done it.

My way (Grade 3 Initiate):
Force 6 Quickened Deflect +
Force 6 Quickened Combat Sense +
Force 6 Quickened Improved Willpower +
Natural stats of 7 Willpower, 6 Int, and 5 Quickness = 24 dice.

His way (Grade 3 Initiate):
Enhanced Sense: Balance Augmentator 0.25 PP
Improved Athletics: 9
Natural Athletics: 6
Natural stats of 6 Willpower, 6 Quickness, and 4 Intelligence = 8 + (15D6 TN 2) which averages 20 dice, but can (if no 1's are rolled) be 23 dice for Dodging....

So, guess I'm doing "The Matrix" version of dodging bullets while standing still as they fly past in slow motion with visible ripples, and he's doing "The Matrix" version of Neo entering that 'Fortress' with a bomb. wink.gif

Ok, NOW you guys are invited to make your ever lovely comments about Hackmaster +12, Chelsea the cow, and any other munchkin type reaction that you prefer. I've just been getting more and more into a number crunching mood (thanks to so many people telling me what a horrible thing it is to do) and am now going to see what kinda cyber dodging I can conjure up to be comparable to the Shaman and Adept. wink.gif

Sphynx

Edit: BTW, his way is using the Optional Rules about using Athletics for Dodging in the Cannon Companion on page 97. Rules I forgot even existed.
Herald of Verjigorm
You have told him that those optional rules take a complex action? So while he is actively dodging, you are actively shooting something and passively dodging. He expends one entire initiative pass dodging (out of however thousand you two get) for those extra dice, while you get to do something painful on each of your actions.
Sphynx
His Initiative: 5+1D6
My Initiative: 5+4D6 (sorry to disappoint there)

And yeah, he knows, like I said, he never DOES that, though I imagine he'd try if he needed to get into melee with someone shooting at him from a distance.... nyahnyah.gif

I was just impressed that an Adept could get that many Dodging dice is all.

Sphynx
Zazen
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Force 6 Quickened Improved Willpower +
Natural stats of 7 Willpower, 6 Int, and 5 Quickness = 24 dice.

That's kind of nuts, expecting 12 successes at TN 7 on your Increase Willpower spell.

I like his way better, because he actually has to devote an action for his coolness which he can compliment with a fun intimidation skill, and because the resources he invested are good for more than just dodging. However, I noticed that he has Improved athletics of 9 and only a base skill of 6, which I think is against the rules.
Sphynx
12 successes is likely with 14 force of expendable spell foci 6 spell pool, 7 spellcasting and 6 karma pool for 3 rerolls. nyahnyah.gif

Good point on the Athletics though, he has 9 because he has some specialization under athletics that's 9 (you can take it above your skill, but can not roll more dice from it than you roll with your skill) so in this example, you're right, he'd lose 3 dice there for a 20 dice maximum. Thanks. wink.gif I'll GLADLY point that out to him.

Sphynx
Fortune
If his specialization in Athletics is Acrobatics though, he's fine with the 9. smile.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Sphynx)
12 successes is likely with 14 force of expendable spell foci 6 spell pool, 7 spellcasting and 6 karma pool for 3 rerolls. nyahnyah.gif

Yeah, I was confident that you could do it. The point that I failed to make clearly is how much higher your investment is than for the athletics fellow. I think his is a more efficient and elegant solution.
Sphynx
Well hell yeah, I agree. He found out he was close 'accidently'. I've been planning this for a good hundred karma cause I'm tired of taking Serious injuries from stupid little pistols even when I DO turn on my 10 ballistic defense....

I was just so proud of my crunching that I was surprised to hear an Adept had similar abilities without even trying. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
mfb
why is the athletics roll for extra dodge dice TN 2?
Whither
The adept initiate could also center his athletics for potentially more successes. smile.gif
mfb
right, but the TN should be 4, not 2. unless i'm missing something.
Siege
Maybe TN 3 with an Edge: Athletics...

-Siege
Sphynx
Balance Aug power reduces the test by 2 (admittedly, a GM call on that one). However, he's laughing at me now (we're playing as I type...) Apparently he lied. He has only 12 dice to roll for athletics, he was just trying to make me envious. Bastard. So he has 8+12 max with 18 being the average. nyahnyah.gif Anyhows, he sent me a copy of his char sheet so I'll put that on-site soon for the hoardes of people that keep talking about his 'unbalanced' character.

Sphynx
mfb
a loving god would never allow the application of balance aug to athletics tests for dodge dice. you, sir, are the devil.
Siege
As I recall, balance augment actually works against getting thrown off-balance.

The benefit only applies to tests of Extended Balance -- walking a tight-rope or a narrow ledge, for example.

For someone to suddenly move off-balance (dodge), the M&M required a Willpower 4 test.

Granted, that's the cyberware version. The magical version would at the very least not offer a bonus that works against the fundamental aspect of the cyber.

IMHO.

-Siege
mfb
no. the Wil (4) test is for intentionally falling down--ie, going prone as a free action.
Siege
QUOTE (mfb)
no. the Wil (4) test is for intentionally falling down--ie, going prone as a free action.

You mean, like dodging?

-Siege
Sphynx
Actually, should I want to argue the case (which I don't) the book describes the Athletics test as an flurry of acrobatic moves, and as someone who's studied Aikido (yeah yeah, nobody has to believe me nyahnyah.gif) where we have to do rolls repeatedly, I know for a fact that knowing which way is up after a 3rd flip in a row would reduce my TN. nyahnyah.gif However, I tend to agree that it's abuse of a cool piece of cyberware and is not intended for that usage. wink.gif

Sphynx
mfb
sure, if you automatically drop prone every time you dodge. my characters don't tend to do that, though.

after some hard thought, i find myself agreeing with sphynx. i am so getting balance aug, next power point.
Siege
"Like dropping prone".

It seems reasonable that other physical motions taken while in the act of dodging -- ducking, throwing yourself in a given direction and so on wouldn't be affected by a balance augmentation.

Hell, you'd have a better case for using great leap as a dodge pool augmentation.

-Siege
Shadow
Just from personal experience, the first thing you do when someone shoots at you is drop prone and roll left or right.
Kagetenshi
Just thinking about it, there are a lot of things you can do to dodge that you can't do if you aren't as completely certain of getting your balance as you would be with balance augmentation. I'd let it work.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Just thinking about it, there are a lot of things you can do to dodge that you can't do if you aren't as completely certain of getting your balance as you would be with balance augmentation. I'd let it work.

~J

"Dodging" involves getting yourself elsewhere as quickly as possible, probably to avoid some unpleasentness.

Now, I could see balance augment affecting a dice roll to recover from a dodge, but the actual dodge test seems to be more a matter of physical speed and reflex.

I don't know why I'm arguing this -- since I usually play adepts, this would be absolutely marvelous to convince my GM of, but it just seems...wrong.

-Siege
El_Machinae
Maybe just make it both worlds.

They need to make the willpower test in order to allow themselves to throw themselves at the ground. BUT, because knowing which way is up would help, maybe give the bonus too.

I like the idea of centering too, urk.
mfb
the balance aug would allow you to contort yourself in ways that would--to someone without a balance aug--be off-balance. i'm basically talking about Matrix-style dodging, here.
Zazen
QUOTE (Shadow)
Just from personal experience, the first thing you do when someone shoots at you is drop prone and roll left or right.

How is it that you gained such experience at being shot at, if you don't mind my asking?
Sphynx
Not to mention that dropping prone isn't the Athletics test we're discussing. The Athletic test is for the acrobatic flipping and cartwheeling an anime-movie character does. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Shockwave_IIc
I wouldn't let it for the "dodge test" but as for the Athletics complexe action to gain additional combat pool for dodging i would. With the (will Tn4) if it a cybered Bal Aug. No test if its an adept power.

Not that any of my players are likely to know thr rules enough to remember this.
Moon-Hawk
I agree w/ Shockwave. I haven't looked at the rule in question recently, but if it works like I think it does...
I would allow the balance aug for the athletics test, the successes of which contribute extra dice to the dodge test. I would not allow it for the subsequent dodge test. If balance aug reduced TN for dodge tests, it would be stated in the description, it's just too HUGE not to. Besides, if it did that, it would be up there with trauma damp, enhanced artwinkulation, and mnemonic enhancer as indespensible 'ware.
Using it for the athletics test for the complex action dodge rules is a really clever idea, though. I think that's really cool, and I intend to use it against my players as soon as possible. I will create the most frustratingly unhittable enemy ever! mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012