Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Danger Of Politeness
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Zen Shooter01
Regarding Bull's post in the "Unofficial Unwired" thread at 4:48 PM on August 20th, 2006:

Bull, the idea that we can all avoid arguments on a public forum with dozens of posters posting on dozens of topics is ludicrous.

This is something I feel I need to address about internet culture. Expressing a different opinion is not unacceptable rudeness. Neither is debating an issue. But the practical definition of "flamewar" and "thread crapping" creeps ever closer to just that. We get closer and closer to forbidding disagreement.

That being said, there's no reason we can't behave like civilized people. But civilized people must be free to disagree.
LilithTaveril
Politeness is merely the ability to tell someone their mother is a whore who's only customers are inbred chihuahuas without managing to sound offensive about it. Often, politeness gets away with far more in the way of insulting people than bluntness does.

So, yeah, I'm not a big fan of it.
knasser

Politeness isn't avoiding the word fuck or witholding your viewpoint. In the context of the forums, it's just about not making personal attacks.

Without Politeness:
Poster A: Point.
Poster B: Counter-Point
Poster A: Cock-sucking whore with herpes.

With Politeness:
Poster A: Analysis of Counter-Point and Further Explanation of View Point

Too often, insults stand in for valid arguments. Politeness is kind of like a barrier of entry and so long as a discussion remains polite, participants are constrained to rely on reason. Once someone resorts to insults, I tend to take it as a sign that they're losing.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for calling someone a Fucktard. Just that it should always be accompanied by a suitably overwhelming piece of logic that demolishes their point of view at the same time.
LilithTaveril
Except, you're forgetting that it can end up like this:

Without Politeness:
Poster A: Cock-sucking whore with herpes. Analysis of Counter-Point and Further Explanation of View Point

With Politeness:
Poster A: Polite way of saying "Cock-sucking whore with herpes."

There's a difference between ettiquete in an argument and politeness.
Demerzel
Lilith you may be confusing politeness with passive agressive behavior.

True politeness does not include passive aggression. What you are describing is not being polite, it's using polite mannerisms in order to mask a more sinister intent.
knasser
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 20 2006, 02:52 PM)
Except, you're forgetting that it can end up like this:

Without Politeness:
Poster A: Cock-sucking whore with herpes. Analysis of Counter-Point and Further Explanation of View Point

With Politeness:
Poster A: Polite way of saying "Cock-sucking whore with herpes."

There's a difference between ettiquete in an argument and politeness.

And you have shown a staggering inability to read the full 13 lines of my post.

I began by saying that particular language has nothing to do with politeness in my opinion. If I call your mother a cock-sucking whore or a hedonic engineer, it's all the same. The meaning hasn't changed and it is still intended as an insult and wouldn't be effective if people didn't know it was meant as such.

I ended by saying that too often insults took the place of reasoned argument and that there was a place for calling people a fucktard, etc,. if it was accompanied by a reasonable argument explaining why.

For example: because someone either didn't read your full post or deliberately took part of it out of context. wink.gif *ahem*

EDIT: Why is whore an insult anyway?
LilithTaveril
Sadly, I don't see the difference and have yet to see any evidence there is one. I've found politeness is just passive-aggressiveness personified and made into an art form. Instead of, "Sorry your mother got hit by that drunk driver," there's "I'm sorry for the untimely demise in your family." They both say the same thing in the end, but one is comming out and stating it and the other is trying to state something hurtful in a manner that prevents the speaker from feeling any guilt over causing a person to cry.
Geekkake
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Sadly, I don't see the difference and have yet to see any evidence there is one. I've found politeness is just passive-aggressiveness personified and made into an art form. Instead of, "Sorry your mother got hit by that drunk driver," there's "I'm sorry for the untimely demise in your family." They both say the same thing in the end, but one is comming out and stating it and the other is trying to state something hurtful in a manner that prevents the speaker from feeling any guilt over causing a person to cry.

Again, I think you're mistaking politeness and decent manners for euphemism. "Hey, I'm sorry your mom got hit by a bus and then set on fire by hooligans," is polite. "I'm sorry for your mom is no longer with us," is euphemism.

Euphemism is essentially obscuring meaning in nice words. Politeness and manners are, when you don't have something constructive to add, shutting the fuck up. You can still swear as much as you want. So enjoy. And shut the fuck up when you don't have something constructive to add.
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (knasser)
And you have shown a staggering inability to read the full 13 lines of my post.

Actually, I did. I just didn't see it as having enough of a relevance to get more than a simple line. The entire bottom portion could have been stated in one sentence.

I began by saying that particular language has nothing to do with politeness in my opinion. If I call your mother a cock-sucking whore or a hedonic engineer, it's all the same. The meaning hasn't changed and it is still intended as an insult and wouldn't be effective if people didn't know it was meant as such.

I ended by saying that too often insults took the place of reasoned argument and that there was a place for calling people a fucktard, etc,. if it was accompanied by a reasonable argument explaining why.

And I contended that you are confusing politeness with ettiquete. I can be polite in a post and still manage to call you an annoying fucktard who dresses in shoolgirl outfits in hopes of being Cthulhu's next victim. Or, I can use ettiquete and not accuse you of that, all the while managing to be rude in my wording. I think the issue we have is a case of perception.

For example: because someone either didn't read your full post or deliberately took part of it out of context. wink.gif *ahem*

Or, who deliberately ignored part of it because they didn't see the point behind it and found a single sentence addressed the entire post perfectly.

EDIT: Why is whore an insult anyway?

Cultural standard. It's a leftover from when Christianity was a dominent power in Europe.

QUOTE (Geekkake)
Again, I think you're mistaking politeness and decent manners for euphemism. "Hey, I'm sorry your mom got hit by a bus and then set on fire by hooligans," is polite. "I'm sorry for your mom is no longer with us," is euphemism.

Actually, that does depend on who you ask. It's actually an unwritten cultural standard in many areas of the U.S. to not mention how the loved one died when saying that. Stating such is considered being impolite.

Euphemism is essentially obscuring meaning in nice words. Politeness and manners are, when you don't have something constructive to add, shutting the fuck up. You can still swear as much as you want. So enjoy. And shut the fuck up when you don't have something constructive to add.

Once again, a question of interpretation. In my opinion, I'm adding something constructive. Besides, I thought you knew that euphemisms were a part of politeness.
knasser
Where are you from? Just curiosity. I'm British and I don't think "foul language" is particularly impolite. I don't think there's any point in getting hung up on it and I certainly don't see why anyone has the right to tell me that I can't talk in the same way my parents taught me.

To illustrate:
"I fucked her." This sounds kind of unpleasant and certainly aggressive.

"I fucking love her." This sounds romantic to me. Yeah, don't look at me like that - it is.

The word fuck itself is just a word. It's the meaning that matters and as I pointed out, if an insult isn't apparent as such, then it's not effective as an insult. Now by the same token, certain language doesn't become insulting if it clearly isn't intended as such.

Begin Tangent:

Where does all this "offensive language" come from? Well many of the so-called swear words are good old Anglo-Saxon and were common usage words once upon a time. They became "vulgar" (and I'll come back to that word in a minute), when the Normans invaded England and Old French became the language of the court. The use of the native language was considered disloyal and / or crass and uneducated. The word vulgar itself means "common". Essentially it's a class thing. The upper classes frowned upon the language of the commoners. Aspiring commoners tried to emulate their 'betters' and only the common man (working class) continued to use them cause they knew their lot in life wasn't going to change and quite frankly couldn't give a fuck about changing the way they spoke for some murderous cunts that had just put the taxes up again.

Cunts is another interesting one. As recent as the early eighteen-hundreds, this wasn't considered an offensive word. There were many streets in England with the name Gropecunt, which usually indicated a historical connection with prostitution. Why in the World a rather appealing part anatomy should be considered insulting or obscene is another debate entirely, but suffice it to say that the word has changed in value in a very recent time without any actual change in meaning. How is that logical?

You can even see it happening at any given moment. When I was very little, I remember the word spastic being used as an insult. It had been a medical term which became a term of abuse. The same has happened to retarded and cretin. Valid terms for medical conditions with no intention of condeming someone as having less worth. Yet now both have or are becoming unsuable for their original meaning. The problem is a strange fixation on the word itself rather than the intent of its use.*

And that is exactly my point in my last post. It is nothing, absolutely nothing at all, to do with the selection of words, but the meaning that they convey. A poor selection of words may accidentally convey an insult that wasn't intended, but this can be cleared up. The point is that intent determines politeness for me.

It's taken me a while to type this. I expect it'll follow another post telling me I'm wrong, but hey ho.

==============================================

*There's a bit at the start of Three Kings which kind of illustrates the absurdity of adding value judgements to words rather than meanings. Several US soldiers are shooting at Iraqis and one of them uses the term "sand-niggers" which incenses the black soldier. They instead agree to use the insult "towel-heads and they happily resume. It's somewhat less amusing if you happen to be arabic, but it's pretty insightful all the same.
knasser
QUOTE (Geekkake)

So what's a nice word for euphemism? biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
So what's a nice word for euphemism?

Diplomacy.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (knasser)
So what's a nice word for euphemism?

Diplomacy.

rotfl.gif

Didn't expect an answer to that one!
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (knasser)
Where are you from? Just curiosity. I'm British and I don't think "foul language" is particularly impolite. I don't think there's any point in getting hung up on it and I certainly don't see why anyone has the right to tell me that I can't talk in the same way my parents taught me.

United States. That should explain everything.
James McMurray
I see a lot of people saying what they can and can't do while being polite, so I figured if we're going to discuss the idea of politeness, we might as well know what it means. And, since I like the dictionary for telling me what my words are, here we go: smile.gif

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/polite
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/polite
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp...61266&dict=CALD
http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/polite
http://www.bartleby.com/61/34/P0413400.html
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/polite?view=uk
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dic...efid=1861738206

One common thread running through all of those definitions is courtesy and consideration. The other important part is correct social usage.

Politeness is merely the ability to tell someone their mother is a whore who's only customers are inbred chihuahuas without managing to sound offensive about it.

Incorrect. You're being vague and avoiding crude words, but you lack consideration.

Politeness isn't avoiding the word fuck

Also incorrect, at least in certain social settings. In most situations the word "fuck" is not proper, and therefor not polite. In areas where a vast number of social groups mesh, like an online forum, cursing is generally impolite because a) it's not socially correct (we're not all sailors) and b) it
s inconsiderate. There are people for whom certain curse words are offensive. Therefore, using those words in an area where people who find it offensive might come is impolite.

Polite way of saying "Cock-sucking whore with herpes."

Impossible, as it lacks consideration. Unless of course you're discussing the matter in scientific terms, which I doubt would ever come up on this board.

I can be polite in a post and still manage to call you an annoying fucktard who dresses in shoolgirl outfits in hopes of being Cthulhu's next victim.

No, you can't. It lacks consideration.

I'm British and I don't think "foul language" is particularly impolite.

I don't know about British standards, but assuming they're anything like American standards you're incorrect, at least in certain social settings. It comes back to the correct social usage part.

How is that logical?

Politeness, as in consideration and correct social usage, isn't necessarily logical. It isn't about logic, and probably never will be. You can of

I certainly don't see why anyone has the right to tell me that I can't talk in the same way my parents taught me.

Nobody can tell you that you can't speak that way, but when you do so you're being impolite. As time passes social mores regarding language will change, and eventually today's swear words will be out of fashion and "quaint." At that time old people (like you and I will be) might use the words left and right, but they'll no longer be a big deal because the youth will have moved on to new words.

As an example, I (being American) can say to someone "that's bloody brilliant." They'll think nothing of it, or perhaps wonder why I'm using dumb words like some wannabe anglophile. I don't know if it's changed recently, but not too long ago a child in England saying that would have elicited gasps from his parents (at least according to Britcoms that make it to my local PBS station). As such, the word "bloody" is impolite in British settings, and just odd in American ones.
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 20 2006, 05:02 PM)
Politeness is merely the ability to tell someone their mother is a whore who's only customers are inbred chihuahuas without managing to sound offensive about it.

Incorrect. You're being vague and avoiding crude words, but you lack consideration.

Actually, I'm being perfectly considerate. It takes a lot of consideration to word an insult in a way that sounds non-offensive. It's like how you tell a child or someone who just does not understand politeness that they have not fully explored the complete intellectual standards of it to fully grasp certain nuances inherent in the very concept of politeness, which are exploited to allow vulgarities to be expressed in ways not obviously offensive and which do not hurt feelings.

Polite way of saying "Cock-sucking whore with herpes."

Impossible, as it lacks consideration. Unless of course you're discussing the matter in scientific terms, which I doubt would ever come up on this board.

Once again, a matter of interpretation, based upon whether or not one has fully explored the nuances. And, if you want a demonstration, consider the reply above this one was calling you a moron with the knowledge of a child when it comes to this subject.

You see, a lot of the way insulting someone and being polite about it works is that you word it in such of a way that would lead the person you're insulting to assume they are not the one you are talking about, or at least give them enough of a disconnect from it they can distance themselves. By utilizing it properly, you can say heinous things about someone to their face and have them nod in agreement, while everyone else who sees it and really stops to think about it can pick up on the reality of what's being said.

I can be polite in a post and still manage to call you an annoying fucktard who dresses in shoolgirl outfits in hopes of being Cthulhu's next victim.

No, you can't. It lacks consideration.

It can be said that one who has not fully explored the nuances of politeness before this moment may have certain... irregularities about them. They may, unwittingly, be fooled into wearing outfits that are... inappropriate for one of their sex when in formal situations, all the while being unaware of the norms they are breaking. It is best to take such people aside and educate them in propriety before they cross the boundaries around those who have far less patience.

Want me to translate that one?

Yes, I can. I can be very inconsiderate, can manage to insult every aspect of you, and can manage to word it in such of a way that doesn't seem insulting. That's part of politeness.
Adam
Moving this to the Dumpshock Discussion forum.
Bull
Wow. Just... Wow.

Point One: Be polite. If you don't know what the word means, go ask your mother, or your grandfather, or your pastor, or whatever, because somewhere along the way, you failed to figure it out. This should not even be a discussion (or argument, as it's spinning into).

Point One A: No matter how you phrase it, called one's mother a whore is never polite.

Point Two: There's a difference between an arguement and a discussion. Discussions are fine, and encouraged. arguements are counter-productive, and often lead to other things, and thus, I discourage them.

Point Three: I'm the bad cop here on Dumpshock. Stop pissing me off by arguing the little bullshit details. Quit trying to skirt the boundaries. The simple rule of thumb is this: If you're not sure if what you're gonna say or do is gonna break the TOS or go against one of my "play nice" posts... DO NOT FUCKING POST. Err on the side of caution, civility, and consideration.

You guys have been generally good lately. I'm trying to use Red posts to denote my Admin posts to help keep things organized and clear when I'm doing my Admin thing. And the red posts I've done lately have been strictly "You guys are approaching the edge of an argument, keep it as a discussion" level. I'm trying to be a tad more proactive and head things off before anything happens and I have to lay down warnings, time permitting. I don't like doing that. Ask around, I'm usually a friendly, happy-go-lucky sort of ork.

But seriously, this thread? Wow. Should be stupidly unnecessary.

Talk. Discuss. Ask questions. Answer questions. Ponder ally spirit sex slaves and dikoted flechettes. But beware of arguments, and no personal attacks, or any sort. I don;t care how polite you think you're being.

Bull
Paul
QUOTE (Bull)
This should not even be a discussion

Arguements are counter-productive, and often lead to other things, and thus, I discourage them.

If all of this sort of thinking makes you as crazy as it makes me, feel free to take your young ass over to Animal Ball or Free Speech where this sort of thing isn't an issue.

I'll refrain from the rest of my personal opinions here, because Bull is right-it would be counter productive. The people who own DSF want it a certain way. I'm fine with letting them have it that way.
James McMurray
Bigger words (and more of them) neither increases politeness nor lowers offensiveness. If you can phrase your criticism in a way that's constructive, then you're being polite. But even then, sometimes even the most constructive criticism is impolite. To do otherwise is to be guilty of misguided pseudo-charity at best, or pretentious and snobbish intellectual masturbation at worst.
nezumi
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)

Actually, I'm being perfectly considerate. It takes a lot of consideration to word an insult in a way that sounds non-offensive. It's like how you tell a child or someone who just does not understand politeness that they have not fully explored the complete intellectual standards of it to fully grasp certain nuances inherent in the very concept of politeness, which are exploited to allow vulgarities to be expressed in ways not obviously offensive and which do not hurt feelings.

No, even though it takes a lot of thought on your part to word the insult as such, an insult is never polite. A factual statement may be unintentionally insulting, but being polite means that you reduce that insult as much as possible. If you are polite, you will never intentionally insult someone else (except, of course, when it is strictly unavoidable. For instance, you are a doctor and your patient's mother really was a professional prostitute.) Trying to insult someone without making it hurtful is simply a waste of breath. Why would anyone do such a foolish thing? The purpose of an insult is to be hurtful. It would be like making a telephone with no way of transmitting sound.

If you disagree with this statement, please feel free to follow Jame's example and find some support beyond "I think I am right, therefore I am." James quoted several dictionaries. If you'd like, look up the words "consideration" and "insult" as well, since you seem to be misunderstanding the former.

You see, a lot of the way insulting someone and being polite about it works is that you word it in such of a way that would lead the person you're insulting to assume they are not the one you are talking about, or at least give them enough of a disconnect from it they can distance themselves. By utilizing it properly, you can say heinous things about someone to their face and have them nod in agreement, while everyone else who sees it and really stops to think about it can pick up on the reality of what's being said.

I find this statement truly fascinating. I'm not being fascetious. Firstly, in your earlier example, I didn't see any insult against James. I saw a valid example to support your line of reasoning. I don't know if anyone else saw an insult in it either. There was nothing you wrote to compare James to a child. It also makes me wonder what insults you read into other peoples' prose that was not meant to have that charge. It could certainly make you feel you're in a hostile environment if, every time someone uses a child or a nazi or the mentally retarded as an example, you think the speaker is talking about you.

That said, what you describe here is called being witty, not being polite. Let's make this more clear, using Jame's example from earlier:

polite:
Marked by or showing consideration for others, tact, and observance of accepted social usage.

insult:
1. To treat with gross insensitivity, insolence, or contemptuous rudeness. See Synonyms at offend.
2. To affront or demean: an absurd speech that insulted the intelligence of the audience.

If insensitivity and demean are antonyms for consideration, we can safely state that one cannot be polite and insulting at the same time.

As has been said before, there is no justification for insults here. Even people who really deserve to be insulted should not be insulted. If you would like, you can ask Bull or Adam for definitive clarification on the point. No insults, "polite" or otherwise.

(As an aside, nothing in this post was meant to be insulting.)
Kesh
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)

Actually, I'm being perfectly considerate. It takes a lot of consideration to word an insult in a way that sounds non-offensive.

I just had to correct this one:

It may take a lot of consideration to figure out how to phrase an insult so it doesn't sound insulting. However, you are still not being considerate of the person you're speaking/posting to by insulting them.

Worlds of difference there.
Red
I'm going to steal a quote from Penny Arcade. Aside from all the technical hairsplitting, I think it all boils down to one abstract idea.

"Don't be a dick."
LilithTaveril
After Bull's post, I decided to let this one drop. I could go into a long discussion over it. I won't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012