Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Mirrors in the Shadow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Cold-Dragon
Mirrors in the Shadow is a campaign about, well, the players characters themselves. There are runs, there are bad guys, there are super powers and not-so superpowers.

And if you work for it, you might become one of them.

Since this game focuses more around the characters when determining events and consequences, what you do as a player can drastically change things. Taking the steps to being a burn out will lead you to burning out, but it will have opportunities to recover too (would be silly to kill you slowly - you'd take up game space that way). If you take Steps to try and take over a megacorporation, you may very well reach it if you have the guts and possibly cold edge of business law to take it. Don't think only the mundane are going to have the fun here: there are magical super powers as well, and one could, in theory, become a superpower of that nature as well.

What you can use:
SR4 book
Street Magic book (*clings to owned one posessively*)

As per creation rules, you basically follow the standard rules presented in the book. 400 points, no items above this rating or whatever, etc, etc. No initiating beforehand, yadda. if you want to be creative in some way, you have to run it by me first, but I'm not entirely stingy about imagination. If you want to do makes sense you can supply a method of making it work by SR standards, you may very well find it within your grasp.

Now, for the important technical details.

This is a relatively small game, as far as players go. I have one player in reserve (who really wants to play, and had her chance spoiled before from 'problems' of other players committing), and I will take 2-3 more here to join her. If for some reason she drops out, I will keep the game up and take one more person (to the max of 4) if desired.
I would prefer that players try and make character that can get along on a basic level: they will work together, not neccessarily betray one another without damn good reason, etc. If you make a person so grossly incapable to work with the others, or events turn that way, I will intervene in some unlisted fashion (from telling you to remake the person, or by splitting the roads until your character 'learns' to play along).
In case you think that means you have to always be in a party, it does not. This is about the characters, and if there's a private, one person story line to work with for awhile, it can and will be done (as such, metaplanar travel may become an entertaining break for the rest of the group).

In the case of rules and rules lawyers, I will listen to initial complaints or suggestions or questions about things and try to give an honest answer as best I can. I am flexible with some things when it comes to odd moments in the rules. Repetitiveness may change my mind if it somehow comes up, but not for genuine issues (I will get annoyed if you try to bend rules solely for your benefit all the time. I will be pleased if you try to be creative in how you deal with situations where the rules get tricky). I don't know what variant rules I will be using as of yet. Chances are most variants will be from street magic, since the ones in SR4 are usually more about making things more challenging.

The one exception to variants is how edge regenerates and karma is gained: you gain back edge with very clever actions (the less edge you have available, the less cleverness needed). A safe nights sleep will recover all edge, whereas a bad nights sleep might only give you a point or two. Karma is awarded in the traditional sense, but since mages tend to be karma costly, 'good will' or 'bad will' (if you're one of those types) can gain you bonus 'latent' karma. This karma is only good for magical purposes such as enchanting, binding, etc, etc (basically, just about anything magical that doesn't involve learning). Learning in this case implies learning new spells, initiation, and metamagic techniques outside of initiation (one of the Street magic variants). This does NOT include increasing your magic attribute.
Keep track of Latent karma separately from regular karma.

Edit on Latent Karma: Latent karma is suppose to be friendly to all, not just the Awakene (whoops, forgot, lol). As of now, latent karma is available to all that perform deeds and whatnot (in case I said otherwise) and can be used on any upgrading of character that does not involve learning or education. This means it applies to all attributes you can boost and non related things, but not to skills (skills imply a training that also involves refining and advancing your know how of doing it. An attribute is more of expanding your potential, but by pushing it to the limit rather than learning to do it a different way).

In addition, you can also gain true karma through gambling (in general, not Las Vegas style). If you give donations of true intent, you might get real karma for your efforts. the larger the donation, the more likely you get it. the amount of karma, however, is secret. Donations don't neccessarily have to be in nuyen either, so when I say gamble, I really mean putting in a special act and seeing if it pays off.

Lessee...I think I covered most things. ^-^; this is my first online SR game to be the controller of. Pardon the technical run around above. If you're interested in the game, you can post a summary blurb of what sort of person you want or intent to try making. You can supply more than one if you like, in case you're not sure which you want to do. Any character is accepted, technomancer or otherwise.
krayola red
Sounds like a rockin' time. I'm still trying to get a feel for the SR4 magic system, so I'm going to toss my guy from JackRipper's witch hunt game into the ring for consideration. Aaand, we're off!

Concept:
[ Spoiler ]

Background and Stuff:
[ Spoiler ]
JackRipper
I have a concept i've been kicking around since I DL'ed Street Magic. This part here is from the Seattle sourcebook (New Seattle) and isnt mentioned in Runners Haven's so, is totally up for GM approval. The Ballard district is a Scandinavian influenced area. Including a local gang called the Beserkers [page 32, New Seattle]

That being pointed out my concept is a 'street shaman' in the Norse Tradition. He pays homage to all the Aesir, but Loki whispers loudest to him. His grandmother was a magically active follower of Freya, His brother while a mundane is a gode (priest) of Thor, and he takes flak occassionally from not playing a more active role in the local 'church'. He often hangs in the company of his cousin, a full member of the Beserkers.

That's the short version, if it piques interest I'll post more.
Cold-Dragon
Well so far I'm heavily amused by Cray's ork, and a Norse street shaman isn't a bad thing. Go ahead and put in more if you like. There's still positions open, after all!
krayola red
Okay, since you gave the greenlight, I'm going to throw a second character concept into the hat. smile.gif

Bob Bobbins
Prime Runner

Bob is a balding, middle aged human man with persistent garlic breath and a sixty pound beer gut. He used to work as a truck driver for the transportations arm of the local Ares factory, but got fired from the job when he was caught eating his supervisor's lunch. The first few months of unemployment were the hardest on Bob, because he had to make do without the daily six boxes of Krunchy Yum donuts to which he was accustomed due to his lack of funds, but inspiration struck Bob one fateful night when he was watching a shadowrunner program on the trid.

It was the first show of its kind that Bob had watched (his usual preference is the PlayElf channel), and the smooth, deadly professional criminals and their amazing exploits left him spellbound. After he watched the hero of the show, Sam the Samurai slice through fifteen Lone Star officers with his dikoted katana and leap out of a ten story window, Bob knew immediately that he was destined to be a shadowrunner. He knew he had the skills required for the profession, since he had taken three months of tae-kwon-do back in middle school (which, incidentally, was also about the last time that he exercised). However, that had been many years ago, and Bob knew that he might be a little rusty on the moves, so he decided to test his combat prowess by going out into the street and challenging the first person to come strolling down the road to a fight to the death. The first person turned out to be an elderly old grandmother with a walker and full body arthritis, but our hero was undaunted. After a fierce battle, Bob emerged the victor, although not without wounds, having lost an ear and two fingers in the combat with his fearsome opponent. Using the remainder of his funds to replace his severed body parts with cybernetic equivalents, Bob abandoned his old identity and plunged headfirst into the shadows, eager and willing to tackle his first job.
JackRipper
That is freakin' hilarous
JackRipper
Erik "The Ganner"

Discription
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Cold-Dragon
Well, I'm relieved to say I can say no to Bob the Bobbit. ^-^; lol.

As per Erik, if you want to start designing him, feel free. I'll consider you placed in if you do want to play. I will allow others to make offers though, in case you change your mind or I lose contact with you (it does happen, heh).
krayola red
What? Bob is rejected?

My poor old heart, it is all broken to pieces.
BlackHat
I've had two cool character ideas since Street Magic came out (both updated and modernised versions of old SR3 characters I played a few times). I'll put up some brief descriptions, and see what you think. If I had some time (or if the GM hinted at which one would be a better fit) I could do a more detailed background and character sheet - but it seems like a lot of work to go through if there are only 2-3 slots open. biggrin.gif

Also, in response to your houserule about the 'latent' karma... it seems to benifit awakened characters, but not un-awakened characters... so I would expect most of the submissions to be awakened. smile.gif I could be wrong, but it would be nice if you could think of a way that latent karma would be useful to a non-magical character - unless that was your intention.

Agent A-028
[ Spoiler ]

"Knives"
[ Spoiler ]

Cold-Dragon
Erk, that's a good point about the latent karma, lol...I totally forgot I meant that to help mundanes too! ^-^; The non techies anyways - all naturals that prefer as little chrome as possible and whatnot.

Current errata on Latent (which I'll modify in the main text later).

Latent karma can be used for any character upgrade that doesn't involve learning. This means you can use latent karma to train your attributes, special attributes, edge, or whatever else one can think of. You cannot, however, use it on skills, since they all involve 'educating' yourself to a better standard.

Naturally, this means latent karma will only go so far at certain points. Since this is the start of things, however, no one should have to worry about tapping out the advantage and making me tweak it again. Later I just might make latent karma a 'chance of being used or not being effect' or something. Dunno.

As per your characters...

Both sound good, though Knives reminds me of Knives from Trigun a little bit, lol. Combat will definitely exist, but mindless combat will depend on the situation brought forth. If knives were to get himself into an underground fighting ring for some reason, I could let you try out each fight if you want to that badly, otherwise, I will try to make this adventure as much as combat or story. Pick one, and make a more elaborate story for it if you wish, but just one. wink.gif

I did say 2-3, and at the moment, the total proposals are 3 people (if a couple ideas on each). You can consider yourself on the 'dibs' list as long as you can make the character soon. Take too long, I'll have to give up your potential place.
JackRipper
Cold-Dragon, do you want sheet PM'ed or posted here?
Cold-Dragon
Detailed sheets can be PM'd. That gives a little mystery as to just what another person knows, which is realistic.
krayola red
Sheet fired.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Both sound good, though Knives reminds me of Knives from Trigun a little bit, lol. Combat will definitely exist, but mindless combat will depend on the situation brought forth. If knives were to get himself into an underground fighting ring for some reason, I could let you try out each fight if you want to that badly, otherwise, I will try to make this adventure as much as combat or story. Pick one, and make a more elaborate story for it if you wish, but just one. wink.gif

I did say 2-3, and at the moment, the total proposals are 3 people (if a couple ideas on each). You can consider yourself on the 'dibs' list as long as you can make the character soon. Take too long, I'll have to give up your potential place.

Wasn't Knives from Trigun some sort of demented psychic? Although I do remember a bunch of metal swords or somethign stuck into a stone... I dunno, its been a long time since I have seen it - but that was DEFINATLY where I got the name. Whether or not Knives is like Knives, I dunno... I actually expected him to be more like bullseye from Daredevil.

I'll get on making up the CS and more details tonight... that'll give me all day at work to think about which idea I like more. As for how much combat is in the story, don't fill it with combat on account of knives. smile.gif It'd just bog down the game - especially if everyone else isn't involved. But if I do pick him, and the opportunity to off someone comes up (like, we take a job that doesn't say "no casualties") be prepared for me to call for initiative sometime. wink.gif
krayola red
I have no idea why Knives from Trigun was called Knives when all he uses is his gun. Not to mention he was way too underdeveloped a main baddy. Legato was a much cooler villain - seriously, getting himself killed just to screw up Vash? That's just cold.
Lagomorph
Hiya, I haven't done a forum game before but it sounds fun and I'd like to put some characters up for consideration. Since it sounds like it's full currently, I'll just put my name in the queue in case some one drops out.

So, here's my stable of characters:
Maven - Human Ex-Corp Financial Wizard - Face/Technomancer
Peter Parkour - Ork Street Sam with emphasis on athletics

If you're interested in hearing more about them, I'd be glad to give stats, descriptions, backgrounds and personalities on either of them.
krayola red
Holy crap, Spiderman became a street sam?
Cold-Dragon
the quota is filled, but backups are always useful. ^-^ If you want to give a half summary BG on them or something, that is dandy for later use. That, or just have them in reserve so if I mention re openings, you can just copy / paste or whatever.

That, and we have a distinct lack of mundanes virtually, which is amusing. XD Kinda my fault there.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (krayola red)
Holy crap, Spiderman became a street sam?

Haha no, I just usually pick punny names. Parkour is a.. style of movement I guess. It's kind of like a martial arts of moving over and around obsticals. And since he can climb, I thought of naming him Peter Parkour rather than Spider-man's Peter Parker.

Look up parkour on youtube, it's pretty crazy.
Cold-Dragon
I forgot to comment on the name. I found it amusing, lol.

*goes to makeup and yells at the artists for making the elf look like a troll and vice versa*
Lagomorph
Short BG's

Maven
[ Spoiler ]

As for PP, I'm still working up a back story. I haven't thought up anything good yet.
Cold-Dragon
Eh, Maven's isn't too bad. Tastes slightly like playdoh to me (don't know why), but it's nontoxic!

it could be I'm suspicious of corpies though, so no worries about how I feel, lol. ^-^;
GodaimeSama
So here I am, the last (or first?) missing member.

Aurel

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Personality

[ Spoiler ]
Cold-Dragon
And now we have our angels plus one knife juggler! (sorry, had a odd moment there). Once some minor details are cleared up, I'll see about creating the grand visage!
krayola red
Godaime: Welcome to Dumpshock!

CD: Do you want us to start the game as strangers or as a team/people who've worked together before? I'm seeing both kinds of style in play here at the forums and I'm not sure which one you're shooting for. If it's #2, we should set about establishing ties and stuff like that.
Cold-Dragon
My original idea thus far was that you all are hired together for a particular mission - through 'careful' evaluation, of course.

Since I got 4 of you, I will have to widen the original starting mission a bit for the sake of not making one or two of you stand around idly.
GodaimeSama
Good plan. It's much more fun to develop relationships in-game than before the game. Because you could decide that two characters are best friends before - and they might end up hating the other character's guts.
Cold-Dragon
Sorry for the delay everyone: life has made me busy for the weekend and right now. ^-^; once I hit a gap of no rushing, I can get things started.

Otherwise relax, plot ruling the world or something, and don't drink the soy-prune juice (stuff doesn't even wait).
JackRipper
cool, and i need the prunes for regularity
Cold-Dragon
I should/will be making the IC/OOC's of the game tomorrow (Sunday) for use. I'm mostly positived everyone is actually ready, so there shouldn't be any issues except for me making up stuff to post. ^-^; (I have blank moments at times).

Practice makes money!

Wait...no...perfect, not money!
krayola red
Perfection makes money, so it all amounts to the same. smile.gif
Cold-Dragon
Now here this, those bored and in need of a game:

We lost a player due to, well, too much magic smoke (yeah....magic smoke) and we would like a replacement character. Since you won't actually start in until the current run is over, your deadline is basically until then to give me a satisfactory idea (if you're interested).

I'm a first time GM, bear in mind. I'm not too picky on things, but I also want some form of balance, so If you want to be creative with something, I'd like you to ask first. You can read up the recruitment for more details.

And if you decide to join in: welcome to the team!

...now sign our D/D plan here, and here, and here....don't forget to initial there...
Fortune
So, what type of character are you looking to add?
GodaimeSama
Well, a hacker would be nice.
Fortune
Damn! frown.gif
Dentris
If you want me in, I have a hacker character in mind.
Cold-Dragon
We have a mage, a gunslinger nut (Godaime), and a genuine nut brought to you by Blackhat who throws knives. Technically no one has any sort of matrix breaking skills, so a hacker would balance things out.

But it's not absolutely required. I'll just try to keep hacking stuff to a minimum or else with NPC help if another non-hacker is added. The team is basically judging what they like best.
Jaid
blech, if i ever had time i would go for this... got a TM i've been wanting to try nyahnyah.gif 'course, i've been more wanting to try a TM rigger though, but alas, i always find out once i start playing i don't have as much time as i thought frown.gif
Cold-Dragon
Time is useful, though I think all of us having time issues is universal. wink.gif lol.
Jaid
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Nov 12 2006, 08:52 PM)
Time is useful, though I think all of us having time issues is universal. wink.gif lol.

my time issues tend to be "for some reason i end up being unable to post for three days in a row".

and it always seems to happen shortly after i join a game, too =P

usually, those three days also seem to include at least 1 page of posts [edit] (in the game thread, that is) [/edit] per day, too... frown.gif
Dentris
Ok, Cold-Dragon asked me to ask the other players what they think about my idea.

I've always wanted to play a cyborg. My idea was a runaway corp experiment with all the possible cyberlimbs installed on him trying to survive on the street. He could take the place of a hacker if you want, or a rigger.
BlackHat
Hacker sounds good. Rigger, too - but I think a hacker would be more of a necessity. wink.gif
Digital Heroin
Gotta ask, are there any openings left at all? I've a few concepts, some more plausible than others, running around in my head which might need out before my ears bleed...
Dentris
Ok, not much feedback, but here is a little sneakpeek

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Description

[ Spoiler ]
krayola red
Welcome aboard. I've always wanted to game with the Terminator. smile.gif
Dentris
Well, he won't be terminator...at first. 250 000 nuyens aren't enough to be both a successful Hacker and a streetsam with all the cyberlimns and improvments.
krayola red
If you say "hasta la vista, baby" at least once in the game before blowing someone away, I'm happy. smile.gif
Gremish
Wondering if you all are set with characters or not, and if not id like to throw one out there and play =) Please PM me or post here if anyone knows
Cold-Dragon
Sorry for absence players and volunteers - this game is at least partly cursed with the ironies of my life.

Right now I'm sick with a throbbing headache (It's toned down at the moment). To top that off, I have relative visiting on Wednesday, staying fo undetermined time span.

On the plus side, I get to waste my college vacation on both, so between all that, I can hopefully muster up the ability to focus on the game.

*gets to reading while he can*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012